Home

MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #761
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonboy_003
Really cant decide if I want to get 21 or not. Quite honestly, I am bored of 20. I have tried starting franchises with different teams 15 times and cant get past 10 games....something about knowing im using outdated rosters (even though I have the 2021 update), schedules being from 2020, etc makes me not enjoy franchise mode like I used to. I know people always say "I wont pay $60 for a roster update", but i like having the "newest version" of things so I might make the switch....

Ive been holding out on buying 21 until I got a ps5...but after failing for the millionth time today with the Target drop, i have just accepted I wont get one until theyre available in stores (who knows when that will be). I miss playing the show....but have seen mixed responses on 21.

Bottom line, i am asking: should i get 21 for ps4 or not? I am a franchise only guy; like to play every pitch of every game. I used Armors sliders last year but have know he hasnt gotten 21 yet which is also making me hesitant. I am very indecisive as you can tell haha. Any feedback and advice from the community would be appreciated!
First off, keep grinding on your pursuit of the PS5. After "millions" of failed attempts, I finally snagged one on Target last Wednesday. I feel like the more you complain and the more you cry you'll never get one will eventually payoff, it did for me anyway

I am so busy playing both 20 and 21. I can't give up on the '20 historical roster collection and using them in playoff mode and the subtle improvements in 21 has be enamored just playing exhibition games. I have just started dabbling with the stadium creator and that looks like it will be a blast.

So, hang in there, you'll get a 5 soon and when you do you'll have Show baseball running out your ears!

Last edited by Hammerhunker; 06-02-2021 at 08:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #762
Pro

KingOfLanglade's Arena

OVR: 0

So I’m a bit late to the party, but I really wanted to play this game a lot, and let patches roll out before giving my first impression of this this year’s edition

The easiest way for me to do this is to break out the buckets:

Gameplay - simply put, addicting. This game totally delivers on the diamond and it’s so hard to put down.

Audio - I would say this is the most underwhelming part of the game for me. The bats sounds aren’t enjoyable and kind of irk me for most types of contact. Crowds seem to react oddly or not at all. Finally, commentary is so bad I don’t have it on period this edition. Sadly, I love the idea that ballpark immersion should take over here, but all the above issues won’t allow it fully.

Animations/Graphics - I personally think the game is beautiful. Playing multiple games in a 30 team control franchise a night affords me the opportunity to see all these glorious ballparks at different start times, and months. Animations are really aging poorly and do a disservice to the athleticism that modern players have. A complete overhaul of body movement and a wider, more visual difference between Nelson Cruz, and Javy Baez would would be greatly appreciated in 22’.

Franchise - This is really the only mode I can comment on, and for me, it’s well done. I am a 30 team full control 162 game kinda guy so I understand my experience is different than most.

Overall - This game delivers where it matters, on the field. Between sliders and the amazing rosters on this site, I am putting in long nights in my franchise yet again. Strongly recommend 21’ to any baseball fan.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver
Old 06-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #763
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSide83
When he’s number one on the pitching rotation, you can’t use him as a hitter for some reason. Move him down a slot and you should be able too

BtW your emoji is the exact same emoji I use on the phone and it’s exactly the way I look on real life FYI so I thought I was in the twilight zone for a second

Hey so I’m online custom leagues do I set Ohtani as a 2nd pitcher in the rotation. No matter what I do o can’t use him as a hitter I’m the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #764
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

I finally got around to exploring the ML parks. I’ve got 30 amazing created stadiums I’ve been using (editing to my own liking), but I was sort of shocked at what SDS has done to the ML parks (and the minors too) by plastering “The Show” signs in these stadiums. They, for me, completely ruined beautiful Petco park with the Show in in CF, which has no contrast between the sign and backdrop making it look like a huge mistake that wasn’t corrected before the game shipped. Also overdone in other parks.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #765
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
I finally got around to exploring the ML parks. I’ve got 30 amazing created stadiums I’ve been using (editing to my own liking), but I was sort of shocked at what SDS has done to the ML parks (and the minors too) by plastering “The Show” signs in these stadiums. They, for me, completely ruined beautiful Petco park with the Show in in CF, which has no contrast between the sign and backdrop making it look like a huge mistake that wasn’t corrected before the game shipped. Also overdone in other parks.

I hate it when games have their own brand logos plastered all over the place. Naturally the real signage would be preferred but fake signage would be better than the games branding. As a gamer, I'm fully aware of what game I'm playing. If you were to watch a YouTube video or a live stream on Twitch you would also be fully aware of what game is being played. From an advertising marketing strategy point of view it makes no sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #766
MVP

OVR: 6

So I’m still trying to wrap up my NBA 2k21 on the PS5 before I jump into MLB The Show 21. I’m thinking of buying it now before days of play is over at its slightly discounted price of $60. Anyone think it will have a greater sale in the next two weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #767
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm0ney2001
So I’m still trying to wrap up my NBA 2k21 on the PS5 before I jump into MLB The Show 21. I’m thinking of buying it now before days of play is over at its slightly discounted price of $60. Anyone think it will have a greater sale in the next two weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Personally I don't think so.

I don't think you see another, especially better, until possibly the All-Star Break when the sport in sort of brought to the forefront and places want to lower stock quantities.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #768
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Well....hmmm.

First off I worked on a roster to import for months. Collecting the best faces off the vault using hundreds of faces made by the magic man PuertoRck07. Guy absolutely nailed faces and I am admittedly a graphics ho. Then 2021 was released and no import, but onward I go.

2020 on the PS4 showed a graphical updated on the PRO. On the PS5 it took a bigger jump and I was impressed. So I trudged on buying 2021 thru a whole bunch of release day problems, and to current day problems with 2021. 21 IS an aggravating mess.

Fell in love with 21's stadium creator. In the hands of the right artistic people I'd rather use these creations than the actual stadiums that come with the game....but....no night games. They are visually stunning and add a whole new immersion to the game.

So, this morning, not having deleted my digital copy of 2020 I opened it on my PS5. It is quite hard to tell the difference in 2020 and 21 graphically although there are some nuances that can be seen.

I loaded my roster from 2020 and got a bit nostalgic (no I didn't tear up, lol).
Sorry, but I wasn't all that happy with Ridin's Roster, but all the work is certainly appreciated and understood how painstaking it is. Just too many faces for me that just don't look good.

Went to the vault and saw that my man PuertoRck07 had 223 pages of his creations, 8 to a page. Whoa!!!! I scrolled thru his pages just looking to cherry pick and got to page 25 and backed out. It left me on page 25 of the player vault. If I would have done that on 21 the vault would have kicked me back to page 1 (groan). I began stealing a few of his creations for my personal roster.

I started up the game (2020 looks awfully good). One thing I noticed was how much I missed some of the presentation from 20. In 21 it mainly concentrates on balls thrown back to the pitcher and his reaction (and they are done exceedingly well), but I miss those shots from ground level around the pitchers mound that are absent in this years game.

I also realized I miss the menus. It's a little thing, but it just seems that all the necessary stuff, without the rest of the junk (no offense) is right there in front of you.

So...here I are, lol. I'm hoping a patch will come out soon to address some of the stuff in 21. This release was and IS still pretty much a disaster. I'm pretty sure I will (MAY) continue on with 21 as I'm current date in my franchise, but man....it would NOT be hard to take a trip back to 2020. If nothing else, once my current franchise is over I'll have a winter franchise and a new (old), good experience with 20.

Long time (old) Show fan.

SOS....how could I forget. Loved hearing MLB Tonight Theme by E.S. Posthumus at the start of games (best version ever).

Last edited by KnightTemplar; 06-10-2021 at 08:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »