Home

MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #769
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

First off, I like playing on All-Star. I just always feel like that's the level where, ratings wise, things are even between me and the CPU.

I played 20 on either AS or AS+ with custom sliders to tone down the offense a bit. I enjoyed 20. My stats were nearly spot on. And most of my games were competitive. But I nearly always won. It just seemed whenever I needed to get a hit at the plate or an out on the mound, I got it. There were times I actually hoped to lose.

I'm playing 21 on default All-Star with the Competitive style. I've currently lost three straight, six of seven and eight of 10. I'm not happy about it, and yet it's glorious at the same time. I'm 24-18, 3.5 games behind the Mets with another game to go with them in my current three-game series.

My pitching is probably a bit too good. I have a sub 3 ERA team-wise. Strangely though, one of my best pitchers has been one of my worst. Fried is 2-5 with a 4.81 ERA. The Mets torched him for 5 runs in 3.1 innings in my last game. I lost that game 8-0. I was utterly owned by deGrom at the plate. I had two hits. Ironically both came off the bat of Austin Riley, who was 2 for his last 18 coming into the game and had a .155 average for the season. Again, not happy about it, but it was glorious to get shut down by baseball's best pitcher.

I'm facing Syndergaard later today in the final game of the series. If the Mets win, they will sweep me. I will not be hoping to lose today. That is glorious.

Last edited by LowerWolf; 06-13-2021 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #770
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
Well....hmmm.

First off I worked on a roster to import for months. Collecting the best faces off the vault using hundreds of faces made by the magic man PuertoRck07. Guy absolutely nailed faces and I am admittedly a graphics ho. Then 2021 was released and no import, but onward I go.

2020 on the PS4 showed a graphical updated on the PRO. On the PS5 it took a bigger jump and I was impressed. So I trudged on buying 2021 thru a whole bunch of release day problems, and to current day problems with 2021. 21 IS an aggravating mess.

Fell in love with 21's stadium creator. In the hands of the right artistic people I'd rather use these creations than the actual stadiums that come with the game....but....no night games. They are visually stunning and add a whole new immersion to the game.

So, this morning, not having deleted my digital copy of 2020 I opened it on my PS5. It is quite hard to tell the difference in 2020 and 21 graphically although there are some nuances that can be seen.

I loaded my roster from 2020 and got a bit nostalgic (no I didn't tear up, lol).
Sorry, but I wasn't all that happy with Ridin's Roster, but all the work is certainly appreciated and understood how painstaking it is. Just too many faces for me that just don't look good.

Went to the vault and saw that my man PuertoRck07 had 223 pages of his creations, 8 to a page. Whoa!!!! I scrolled thru his pages just looking to cherry pick and got to page 25 and backed out. It left me on page 25 of the player vault. If I would have done that on 21 the vault would have kicked me back to page 1 (groan). I began stealing a few of his creations for my personal roster.

I started up the game (2020 looks awfully good). One thing I noticed was how much I missed some of the presentation from 20. In 21 it mainly concentrates on balls thrown back to the pitcher and his reaction (and they are done exceedingly well), but I miss those shots from ground level around the pitchers mound that are absent in this years game.

I also realized I miss the menus. It's a little thing, but it just seems that all the necessary stuff, without the rest of the junk (no offense) is right there in front of you.

So...here I are, lol. I'm hoping a patch will come out soon to address some of the stuff in 21. This release was and IS still pretty much a disaster. I'm pretty sure I will (MAY) continue on with 21 as I'm current date in my franchise, but man....it would NOT be hard to take a trip back to 2020. If nothing else, once my current franchise is over I'll have a winter franchise and a new (old), good experience with 20.

Long time (old) Show fan.

SOS....how could I forget. Loved hearing MLB Tonight Theme by E.S. Posthumus at the start of games (best version ever).
I hear you on a lot of this.

For me, I wanted to love 21 but I just can't. I think 20 is just a better game overall. MLB21 feels like major regression from 20 and there is no other way to put it. You nailed the graphics view, which I don't care as much about as you, but on the field where it matters, 20 just plays better.

I honestly do not think any amount of patching will get this game on the same level as 20.

I have been a huge proponent and supporter of this series for a long time and have not spoken lowly about any game in this series but this is the first time in this game series that I feel the game has taken a step backwards as a whole.

I really wanted to love 21 like I said but I am going to be content with 20 for a long time and this year will end my purchase streak of 12 straight years of pre order or day 1 purchase. I am really at a loss for words in my disappointment in this game.

Currently Playing:

No Man's Sky (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 06-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #771
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

The Blue Jays feel like a cheat code this year. If I score under 10 runs in a game something went horribly wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #772
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
I hear you on a lot of this.

For me, I wanted to love 21 but I just can't. I think 20 is just a better game overall. MLB21 feels like major regression from 20 and there is no other way to put it. You nailed the graphics view, which I don't care as much about as you, but on the field where it matters, 20 just plays better.

I honestly do not think any amount of patching will get this game on the same level as 20.

I have been a huge proponent and supporter of this series for a long time and have not spoken lowly about any game in this series but this is the first time in this game series that I feel the game has taken a step backwards as a whole.

I really wanted to love 21 like I said but I am going to be content with 20 for a long time and this year will end my purchase streak of 12 straight years of pre order or day 1 purchase. I am really at a loss for words in my disappointment in this game.

After putting in enough time with 21. Your post is a perfect sentiment of my view and feelings towards 21.

Something feels off and fundamentally different under the hood. Visually the game is beautiful as usual. But gameplay has simply gone backwards.

And I will say it again......they absolutely blew it with check swings. A total game killer for me that makes it unplayable using directional hitting. A pure mess and a horrendous decision for offline players.

It was a heck of a run for me...but like you, I will not be an annual purchaser of this series anymore. I see myself playing MLB 20 for several years and I hope SDS can get back to what they had been doing....making a great simulation of console baseball and not cratering...that is right cratering into the demands of online players.

But we know that is not going to happen. The trend is clear. And the direction of the game is going where I do not want. So...it is what it is. No ill will towards this great team of developers. They just have to do what the trends direct them to do.

If you are getting frustrated with the game.....and are on the PS. Simply go back to 20 and you will feel right at home.

I think guys who love classic rosters and ratings based gameplay will run back to 20 in due time (it is already happening).
Madden 21 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 06-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #773
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

I might be alone but I like 21 and I like the tightness of check swinging. As good as the game has always been, I lost a bit of immersion knowing that I’d clearly not managed to check my swing without breaking the plane yet rarely was called out for it. Now I’m forced to be more disciplined and I love it.

I guess that’s just me.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #774
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
I might be alone but I like 21 and I like the tightness of check swinging. As good as the game has always been, I lost a bit of immersion knowing that I’d clearly not managed to check my swing without breaking the plane yet rarely was called out for it. Now I’m forced to be more disciplined and I love it.

I guess that’s just me.
I really don’t mind it either.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #775
Rookie

Agreed on both sentiments. I tried to love 21. I played it frequently until about 2 weeks ago. Constantly frustrated with what they had done to RTTS (now RTDD) and Franchise. Yes, the graphics are beautiful, but 20 is almost as good. I really like the smoother defense play in 21, but not enough to put up with all the failings.

I switched back to 20 around 2 weeks ago just to get a better comparison, and I haven't been back to 21 yet. It's just not fun as an immersive sim. 20 is.

The Show used to be baseball on a console. Now it's just another video game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
After putting in enough time with 21. Your post is a perfect sentiment of my view and feelings towards 21.

Something feels off and fundamentally different under the hood. Visually the game is beautiful as usual. But gameplay has simply gone backwards.

And I will say it again......they absolutely blew it with check swings. A total game killer for me that makes it unplayable using directional hitting. A pure mess and a horrendous decision for offline players.

It was a heck of a run for me...but like you, I will not be an annual purchaser of this series anymore. I see myself playing MLB 20 for several years and I hope SDS can get back to what they had been doing....making a great simulation of console baseball and not cratering...that is right cratering into the demands of online players.

But we know that is not going to happen. The trend is clear. And the direction of the game is going where I do not want. So...it is what it is. No ill will towards this great team of developers. They just have to do what the trends direct them to do.

If you are getting frustrated with the game.....and are on the PS. Simply go back to 20 and you will feel right at home.

I think guys who love classic rosters and ratings based gameplay will run back to 20 in due time (it is already happening).
Sent from my HD1900 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #776
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsgeek
Agreed on both sentiments. I tried to love 21. I played it frequently until about 2 weeks ago. Constantly frustrated with what they had done to RTTS (now RTDD) and Franchise. Yes, the graphics are beautiful, but 20 is almost as good. I really like the smoother defense play in 21, but not enough to put up with all the failings.

I switched back to 20 around 2 weeks ago just to get a better comparison, and I haven't been back to 21 yet. It's just not fun as an immersive sim. 20 is.

The Show used to be baseball on a console. Now it's just another video game.

Sent from my HD1900 using Operation Sports mobile app
I had went back to RTTS almost right away because I loathed what they did to it.

According to my PS5, I put in just under 100 hours in 21 before fully switching back and starting season 4 in my Indians future franchise.

I think that is definitely a fair shake for the game. And just something felt off the entire time. As you said the fielding did feel better but there are too many bobbles by infielders and outfielders seemed to get the ball out of their hands just a bit too fast.

I won't rehash my thoughts about franchise here but suffice it to say it is my main game mode and 21 isn't worth the admission price for it this year because the on field play regressed in my opinion.

I really wanted to love 21. It's why I put in near 100 hours before I stopped playing.

Currently Playing:

No Man's Sky (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »