Home

NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #457
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavko99
I actually feel like defending human players is relatively easy, but it is the HOF CPU that I sometimes struggle with. Trying beating the CPU 1v1 in Blacktop and pick a worse defender, it is very hard to win, to say the least. On the other hand I think itīs beneficial to practice in blacktop to improve your defense, although sometimes it seems that no matter what you do, the CPU is gonna score, especially on those contested layups. I highly recommend picking a mediocre defender like DRuss, or if you want a real challenge Jose Calderon, against players like Westbrook, Lowry (very good defender btw) or Gary Payton, who have both super strong defense and offense.
It's not about the on ball defense. That part is fine and i love how they made it this year. The issue is the off ball D. It's breaks down too frequently. Even if i'm containing my man well, guys just lose their man for no reason. I can sit here and tell you exactly why guys are getting open, but i really don't feel like nitpicking (don't feel like writing a book lbs). This is a big issue with the game at least for me. If guys keep losing their man for no reason down the stretch or key moments in the game regardless of defensive setting, it makes for a very frustrating and unrealistic experience
Old 09-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #458
Just started!

So, I have Suns on MyGM.
We were playing the Warriors and I thought the best chance we have is to set all players on "Off Ball Screen: Switch". I set Intensity to Tight (or Smother) on both On-Ball and Off-Ball to almost every player of the GSW.

And then the game started. And Curry used a screen, got wide open and made an easy three. Then Klay. Then KD. At will, just a screen and my defense is suddenly in panic. No-one is switching, players are just stuck behind screens fighting to follow their assigned player.

And I guess KD is a big guy, but if you are Bledsoe, you must be able to at least beat a screen for once. Even if I never asked you for this, Switch remember?

Even spamming the "Switch Everything" command did nothing.

I usually try to play games I am losing. Even if it goes very bad, I at least use these games to see how my bench players are doing, or try boosting a player's stats. This was one of the few moments I pressed the "get-me-out-of-here Sim the rest of the game" button.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #459
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printezis
So, I have Suns on MyGM.
We were playing the Warriors and I thought the best chance we have is to set all players on "Off Ball Screen: Switch". I set Intensity to Tight (or Smother) on both On-Ball and Off-Ball to almost every player of the GSW.

And then the game started. And Curry used a screen, got wide open and made an easy three. Then Klay. Then KD. At will, just a screen and my defense is suddenly in panic. No-one is switching, players are just stuck behind screens fighting to follow their assigned player.

And I guess KD is a big guy, but if you are Bledsoe, you must be able to at least beat a screen for once. Even if I never asked you for this, Switch remember?

Even spamming the "Switch Everything" command did nothing.

I usually try to play games I am losing. Even if it goes very bad, I at least use these games to see how my bench players are doing, or try boosting a player's stats. This was one of the few moments I pressed the "get-me-out-of-here Sim the rest of the game" button.
Screens haven't worked correctly for quite a while. It's very noticeable because of the CPU's bball iq, they get used more. Screens are canned animations that you basically get sucked into. A lot of the time you can't do anything about it. I've been sucked into screens that I've clearly gotten around cleanly. It Makes D almost unplayable.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #460
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24 7
Defensive controls are slower, less responsive, clunkier, and more sluggish than they were last year. 2k8 still the best in terms of control. This could eventually be a series killer if it doesn't get addressed.
I agree. It's almost like you're stuck just watching animations play out on defense while you're trying to move or perform an action that doesn't happen. 2k11 was one of the best in terms of control as well.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #461
Just started!

So after another game where my coaching gameplan didnt seem to mean anything to the players (I did read in another thread that it resets to default *that's a MAJOR bug btw* ), I decided to just simulate the season just to see the new off season features.

One that stood out to me was the League Meeting where the owners decide on League and Game Changes. My owner asked for my opinion on 5 topics before attending, and while all 5 were a bit ridiculous (like eliminating Goaltending), I saw after advancing that they decided it's ok from now on if player salaries dont match during trades.

And they voted 28-2 for it, because why the **** not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #462
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
It's not about the on ball defense. That part is fine and i love how they made it this year. The issue is the off ball D. It's breaks down too frequently. Even if i'm containing my man well, guys just lose their man for no reason. I can sit here and tell you exactly why guys are getting open, but i really don't feel like nitpicking (don't feel like writing a book lbs). This is a big issue with the game at least for me. If guys keep losing their man for no reason down the stretch or key moments in the game regardless of defensive setting, it makes for a very frustrating and unrealistic experience
Disclaimer: For 2k17, I only play user vs offline cpu, hall of fame default setting. Any other online, blacktop, myplayer mode and or modes where you are player locked, I wouldn't know.

Curiosity. Do you not play off-ball defense? Because that is a crucial part to playing solid defense with 2k17. If I don't play both on-ball and off-ball defense, the CPU will simply set up screens for outside shooters and rain shots all day. I have to constantly switch from on-ball to off-ball back to on-ball and back to off-ball on the same exact play. I must watch the entire field. I must take control of my off ball defender and fight around the CPU screens. It is a chess match where I do read and anticipate what the CPU defense is trying to do.

Can't rely solely on on-ball defense. That is not going to work on 2k17.

Loving the game. Can't get enough of it. There are some quirks but overall, a very addictive game.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #463
Banned

WISports's Arena

The CPU's on-ball defense isn't even fair. It's like they know where you're going before you even make a move.

I decided to mess with sliders. I turned way down "on ball defense", "lateral quickness" all even "body-up sensitivity", and nothing changes.

Last year when you messed with them you could tell the difference.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #464
Rookie

engrishbwudd's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Disclaimer: For 2k17, I only play user vs offline cpu, hall of fame default setting. Any other online, blacktop, myplayer mode and or modes where you are player locked, I wouldn't know.

Curiosity. Do you not play off-ball defense? Because that is a crucial part to playing solid defense with 2k17. If I don't play both on-ball and off-ball defense, the CPU will simply set up screens for outside shooters and rain shots all day. I have to constantly switch from on-ball to off-ball back to on-ball and back to off-ball on the same exact play. I must watch the entire field. I must take control of my off ball defender and fight around the CPU screens. It is a chess match where I do read and anticipate what the CPU defense is trying to do.

Can't rely solely on on-ball defense. That is not going to work on 2k17.

Loving the game. Can't get enough of it. There are some quirks but overall, a very addictive game.
Solid tips. Looks like I'm just gonna have to step up my game instead of letting myself get frustrated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »