Home

NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #57
Rookie

CEOHaize's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungmeaks
After my first impression of the game not feeling good....

My mind has been changed already lol. Happens every damn year. The game feels really nice. I probably shouldn't have played online first to gather an impression anyways. The input lag online made the game feel so bad. Playing offline right now and it feels as precise as 2k16 did. 2k16 was pretty precise for me online, though, so hopefully after some patches these things clear up.

Having a lot of fun. The AI in this game is impressive and a step forward. I'm enjoying the plethora of stuff going on off-ball this year. (Thanks SimNation!!!)

Well that's a quick turnaround. Glad to see you're enjoying it more. They did a lot in 1 cycle. When I step back and realize how much they've added n the last 3 years it's honestly amazing.

Host of The Awakened Soul Podcast
iTunes: https://t.co/2aRfWFw1ia
Google Play: https://t.co/yjgsoZLJ4r

@CEOHaize on Twitter
Old 09-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #58
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by minwager
tbh if ur bumping your man that much u might need to rethink your dribbling actions, its all about trying to get around em with the setups then hit moves once you get momentum past em or get em going one direction
You are probably right. I spent the majority of last night trying to get a feel of the movement and contols on offense and I definitely don't have them down yet. I'm just still accustom to the feel of 2k16 which is much different. It probably didn't help that I was half asleep while playing and wasn't really using smart strategy.

Do you have any tips or hints for the dribble stick and performing size ups? It was tough for me to get a feel of the controls in this area. At times I felt like I was getting a grip of the dribbling and then others times I felt like I was either getting lucky or just completely lost out there.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #59
MVP

The game is definitely improved in many ways. Quick 1st impressions...

+Shooting feels great! They nailed it this year especially Steph Curry! From the signature shots, to the signature arc of shots, release points, etc.. Kudos for that 2K

+Love the improved rebounding! There's a real battle for the boards now. This was much needed.

+The net physics are perfect this year! Love it.

+Player movement is much more organic like others have mentioned. I'm not feeling stuck in too many 2 man animations & the game definitely flows a lot smoother.

+Physics seemed to have improved. Not seeing as much Player clipping as I did last year.

+The dribbling is awesome. Loving how I can break out of dribbles now. Again they nailed the signature dribbles as well (Steph Curry & Kyrie are going to be a problem this year!)

+Definitely digging the new user interface & menu system. Nice touch.

+The game loads a lot faster which is nice.

+Love the new sliders that were added! They are game changers for me. Being able to adjust the sensitivity of passes & body ups to help prevent defensive players sticking to you like glue is huge!

+Retro players look much better this year! Seems like retro players got more attention than the current players lol. I love having classic teams in the game so I'm glad they got some love.

Those are the improvements that immediately stood out but I'm sure there's many more. The game still has it's legacy issues unfortunately (selective random ball tangibility, players sliding into position when receiving passes etc..) These issues have to get fixed. They're holding the game back.

Speaking of which, I play on the 2K Wire cam (Zoom 8, Height 2) & I have one major problem so far. When inbounding the ball, players will sometimes slide about 5 feet into position to receive the pass. I don't recall this happening last year so I'm hoping it's just a bug. 2K PLEASE fix this! It's a HUGE eyesore & immersion killer.

-Some of the player models leave a lot to be desired. LeBron's calves are way too thick (why they continue to give him cankles is beyond me). Chris Paul looks like the Hulk smh. Idk why 2K always butchers CP3? He needs a new body type ASAP! Giannis's, Anthony Morrow's, Dennis Schroeder's, Gordon Heyward's, Evan Fournier's, Cody Zeller's, Stanley Johnson's & Wiggins arms are too skinny, etc.. That skinny arm player model needs to be reserved for Durant & Ingram only. Steph needs to have his body type from last year (changing it when was perfect in 2K16 is a head scratcher). Some of the jerseys are incorrect as well (Pistons, Lakers, Warriors, etc..) Hopefully these blunders can be patched or corrected in a roster update.

-Passing still isn't where it needs to be (some passes are still a little floaty). 2K needs to make passing button pressure sensitive ala Madden. Meaning if I want to throw a bullet pass I just hold the corresponding pass button down. If I want to throw a touch pass I just tap the pass button, etc...Idk why they have yet to implement this. As it stands right now, passing is like a crap shoot, you have no control over the amount of weight behind it.

-Still get that "stuck in mud" feel at times when trying to blow by a defender after beating him off the dribble (although not as bad as last year)

-Even though they added a "speed with the ball" rating, speed differential still is not where it should be. I still feel like I get slowed down at times on fastbreaks or when I have a clear path to the basket. Defenders seem to be able unrealistically keep up at times.

-The CPU is taking way too many ill advised 3's. I understand it's a 3 point shooting league now, but they went a little overboard with it this year. I'm seeing players who aren't even 3 point shooters taking steps back 3's, fade away 3's, etc... Granted you can adjust this with the tendency slider but it needs to be tuned.

-Players still occasionally dribble or go out of bounds for no reason.

-Having the same assistant coach in the huddle for every team during timeouts is just goofy & makes you want to skip through it.

Overall 2K17 feels like what 2K16 should've been. I was skeptical going in but I came away impressed for the most part so far. Just fix those legacy issues ESPECIALLY the sliding & this game will be great. Again 2K, please fix the problem with the player receiving the inbound pass sliding into position in a patch. I cringe every time I see it.

Last edited by JKSportsGamer1984; 09-20-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #60
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

So far I love the game. That said I still have legacy complaints. MyCareer being a solo experience yet relying on the 2K servers is just not right. I've lost progress because of server disconnects three times already (I have a 1gb internet connection). That and the need for 2K to allow us once again to have sliders is very apparent. As solid as the game plays out of the box, it could use some fine tuning that sliders would allow.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #61
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6

I can pull up from mid-range with Westbrook now. It's actually a solid go-to move. I'm loving it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #62
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
You are probably right. I spent the majority of last night trying to get a feel of the movement and contols on offense and I definitely don't have them down yet. I'm just still accustom to the feel of 2k16 which is much different. It probably didn't help that I was half asleep while playing and wasn't really using smart strategy.

Do you have any tips or hints for the dribble stick and performing size ups? It was tough for me to get a feel of the controls in this area. At times I felt like I was getting a grip of the dribbling and then others times I felt like I was either getting lucky or just completely lost out there.
Check this for some dribble and break down tips, and use that thread in general to ask questions on how to do stuff.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #63
Rookie

WHY DOES THIS "UPDATE REQUIRED" MESSAGE STILL SHOW UP

WHEN THERE IS NO FN UPDATE

its like 3 2ks this message shows up and theres no update just random in the middle of games a giant message saying update required
Old 09-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #64
MVP

Your impression will depend on what you're playing and style of play. I'm playing 5 on 5 against the CPU and the defensive reaction time is slow, players are very slow to change directions. This is bad because I'm used to switching and finessing my defenders all over the court but now guys are getting beat and there's no way to recover. The CPU is making ridiculous contested shots as well which is not sim at all. It's a weird mixture of more realistic player movement and animations but with less realistic shot making and less player control. When Vucecic is swishing turnaround jumpers in Drummond's chest, something ain't right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »