Home

NBA 2K14 How's Your Association Going?

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 How's Your Association Going? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #57
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K14 How's Your Association Going?

I made a few associations but I could never really stick to them because I never could put the time into them or was interested in them do much that I stuck with it. I won't be getting next gen for a while, so I wanted to ask how I could take the most out of association mode. I've done a lot of ways, but ultimately what I'm looking for is a defensive minded team with chemistry similar to that of the pistons team that won it all in 04. Could anyone please give me some comparisons for Ben Wallace, tayshaun prince, billups, Hamilton, etc etc? They can even be scrubs... in fact it would probably be better that way because then I could build them up.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #58
Rookie

nip83's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedice
I made a few associations but I could never really stick to them because I never could put the time into them or was interested in them do much that I stuck with it. I won't be getting next gen for a while, so I wanted to ask how I could take the most out of association mode. I've done a lot of ways, but ultimately what I'm looking for is a defensive minded team with chemistry similar to that of the pistons team that won it all in 04. Could anyone please give me some comparisons for Ben Wallace, tayshaun prince, billups, Hamilton, etc etc? They can even be scrubs... in fact it would probably be better that way because then I could build them up.

Let's see ,a 2004 Piston team was built around the paint presence of Ben Wallace.You will need a similar defensive anchor but these type of guys come costly and have great value.

It really depends on what team you're gonna use cause i could suggest a guy like roy hibbert for that role, but if you want realism in your association the pacers would never trade a guy like that.

Other big men that fill the role of paint protector and rebounder are Larry Sanders! (he avgs 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in my second season),Andre Drummond (if you choose Detroit) and even Javale McGee or you could go the Celtics way and have a PF as your rim protector with guys like Anthony Davis(that the Pelicans would never want to trade irl) or Josh Smith.

You also need glue guy type SF in the mould of Prince.Prince was mostly known for his length defensively and his mid-post game ,including passing ability.
Three players come to mind that fit that role perfectly.One is Nicolas Batum of the Blazers with terrific length and defense,who also can give you outside shooting and assists in the flow of the offense.
Another Prince like player is Gordon Hayward of the Jazz also a nice 3pt shooter ,passer and of course a lengthy defender(he's got the chasedown block sig skill).He is a bit slow to defend against guys like lebron and paul george(he is out of the question unless you choose the pacers as your team), but he makes up with size.
Lastly you can try Kawhi Leonard, a 3 and D guy meaning that he drains his corner 3's and is a great defender.He is 6.7 ,so shorter than the other two guys but much quicker and a big leaper.
What you can't replicate in the current nba is the mid post game of prince.Guys that are good options from the mid range and the post are Danny Granger,Caron Butler,Carmelo,Paul Pierce etc but are not exactly known as more than average defenders.

For the Rip Hamilton role you need a SG that is really good at coming off screens without the ball and shooting mid range and beyond.So you don't necessarily need a one on one scorer but a sweet shooter ,a bit athletic that is fast to navigate around off ball screens.
The most obvious comparison to Rip is Ben Maclemore the rookie SG of the Kings.Sweet shooting stroke,very athletic and becomes a pretty good defender after season 1.His only problem is his low consistency ,which means that you'll have a hard time shooting over 45% on a game to game basis.
Other guys that their games look similar but not exactly like Rip ,are Klay Thompson(slow though),Caldwell Pope of the Pistons and Oj Mayo (a little bit undersized) that are also ok defenders and won't mess up your rotations.That's why i won't recommend Kevin Martin of the Wolves.His defense is as sucky as it goes.

Finally you need a floor general that won't be a ball dominant or a score first guard.Someone that is a passer,playmaker and a spot up option when the ball is not in their hands like Billups used to be.You also need them to have enough size like Billups ,but sacrificing athleticism in the way.
A guy that looks a lot like Billups is Jarrett Jack of the Cavaliers.Great shooting stroke coming of screens and a good passer too.
Or you could go 6.6 with Greivis Vasquez that is also a playmaker,pnr maestro and has a wet shot from outside(no shoot off the dribble ability though).Be careful with Vasquez on defense ,cause he is slow and gets torched easily by the new era fast guards like Irving,Steph Curry,Derrick Rose etc.
Lastly Calderon,might be old and the definition of matador defense, but he is a great fit for any team with his playmaking ability ,his outside shot and his free throw shooting.

Have fun,the 2004 Pistons team is one of my favorites and every year i start an association that i try to replicate this no-superstar type of team.

Last edited by nip83; 11-29-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #59
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

poor lakers, lost gasol and young for the season and its only january.

jabari parker coming to LA!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #60
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nip83
Let's see ,a 2004 Piston team was built around the paint presence of Ben Wallace.You will need a similar defensive anchor but these type of guys come costly and have great value.

It really depends on what team you're gonna use cause i could suggest a guy like roy hibbert for that role, but if you want realism in your association the pacers would never trade a guy like that.

Other big men that fill the role of paint protector and rebounder are Larry Sanders! (he avgs 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in my second season),Andre Drummond (if you choose Detroit) and even Javale McGee or you could go the Celtics way and have a PF as your rim protector with guys like Anthony Davis(that the Pelicans would never want to trade irl) or Josh Smith.

You also need glue guy type SF in the mould of Prince.Prince was mostly known for his length defensively and his mid-post game ,including passing ability.
Three players come to mind that fit that role perfectly.One is Nicolas Batum of the Blazers with terrific length and defense,who also can give you outside shooting and assists in the flow of the offense.
Another Prince like player is Gordon Hayward of the Jazz also a nice 3pt shooter ,passer and of course a lengthy defender(he's got the chasedown block sig skill).He is a bit slow to defend against guys like lebron and paul george(he is out of the question unless you choose the pacers as your team), but he makes up with size.
Lastly you can try Kawhi Leonard, a 3 and D guy meaning that he drains his corner 3's and is a great defender.He is 6.7 ,so shorter than the other two guys but much quicker and a big leaper.
What you can't replicate in the current nba is the mid post game of prince.Guys that are good options from the mid range and the post are Danny Granger,Caron Butler,Carmelo,Paul Pierce etc but are not exactly known as more than average defenders.

For the Rip Hamilton role you need a SG that is really good at coming off screens without the ball and shooting mid range and beyond.So you don't necessarily need a one on one scorer but a sweet shooter ,a bit athletic that is fast to navigate around off ball screens.
The most obvious comparison to Rip is Ben Maclemore the rookie SG of the Kings.Sweet shooting stroke,very athletic and becomes a pretty good defender after season 1.His only problem is his low consistency ,which means that you'll have a hard time shooting over 45% on a game to game basis.
Other guys that their games look similar but not exactly like Rip ,are Klay Thompson(slow though),Caldwell Pope of the Pistons and Oj Mayo (a little bit undersized) that are also ok defenders and won't mess up your rotations.That's why i won't recommend Kevin Martin of the Wolves.His defense is as sucky as it goes.

Finally you need a floor general that won't be a ball dominant or a score first guard.Someone that is a passer,playmaker and a spot up option when the ball is not in their hands like Billups used to be.You also need them to have enough size like Billups ,but sacrificing athleticism in the way.
A guy that looks a lot like Billups is Jarrett Jack of the Cavaliers.Great shooting stroke coming of screens and a good passer too.
Or you could go 6.6 with Greivis Vasquez that is also a playmaker,pnr maestro and has a wet shot from outside(no shoot off the dribble ability though).Be careful with Vasquez on defense ,cause he is slow and gets torched easily by the new era fast guards like Irving,Steph Curry,Derrick Rose etc.
Lastly Calderon,might be old and the definition of matador defense, but he is a great fit for any team with his playmaking ability ,his outside shot and his free throw shooting.

Have fun,the 2004 Pistons team is one of my favorites and every year i start an association that i try to replicate this no-superstar type of team.
Lots of thanks bro. Since you know so much about this team, I wanted to ask if you knew their offensive/def schemes? Either way, that was a lot of help so thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #61
Just started!

I decided to do an association with the suns.(great potential)

1st season:
no major improvements
some roster moves based on player morale
traded for top pick in draft

Offseason:
had the 2nd and 3rd picks
selected Jabari Parker and Julius Randle
lost the Morris brothers in free agency
locked up bledsoe and tried to go for drummond(pistons matched offer)
signed backups varejao and pressey

Starters:
bledsoe
goodwin
parker
randle
len

Bench
1.varejao
2.pressey
bunch of lower people, forget names

Any suggestions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #62
MVP

OVR: 3

i have injuries off but my guys still get injured? wtf.

Playing with Pistons...planning to send Josh Smith to Orlando for Afflalo during the season....
Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #63
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15

I am 4-2 with the Rockets and I just had a great game against LAL where I won by hitting a 3 with 1.6 seconds left with Jeremy Lin. I am passing the ball well and everybody has their fare share of points. James Harden is leading the team in PPG. Don't have the stats in front of me but when I do I will give a more in depth post.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #64
Pro

USNAggie44's Arena

OVR: 3
NBA 2K14 How's Your Association Going?

After getting swept in the first round by the Thunder, I hope to get a better seed this year.

Lineup

Rubio-Pmills-Schroeder

KMart-Hardaway

Brewer-Aaron Gordon-Muhammad

Love-world Peace-Mcgary

Deandre Jordan-Alex Len- Turiaf

12 in power rankings, Derrick Williams almost got sixth man, the suns proposed the trade of their pick and Len for Derrick Williams, my pick, and Budinger. Signed mills and world peace with one year team options.

Interestingly, the Knicks got Rondo in a trade that sent Marcus Smart and Iman shumpert and others for Rondo and some fillers.

Hardaway and Schroeder both were on the All-rookie 2nd team, while k-love was on the all NBA third team. Deandre Jordan was top 10 in rebounds, second in bpg, and averaged 14 ppg. Rubio ended up 2nd in apg.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »