Home

NBA 2k14 Dribbling Questions and Tips

This is a discussion on NBA 2k14 Dribbling Questions and Tips within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
Almighty 2k Paper Champ

richmo's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2k14's Dribbling questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Yes. it's gone. It broke very badly somewhere along the way so we decided to put it to rest.
Aah, thanks Mike. Worked so well in Live/2k but I guess those are the dangers of programming. Would love to see it return soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Interesting, they could be using our VIP/ go to moves against us. That might not be realistic depending on how you think about it. Some moves are done based off how the d is playing you IRL. The D should either trail the offense move or move prior giving a clue of what they are trying to stop. Hopefully next gen will bring about a different AI defender to human interaction. They need some physics for this IMO and human like guessing. Something like this

I really like that escape dribbles create a lot of separation and movement this year. I'm hoping to replicate something like that in game eventually.

One of the things that bugs me about 2K14 (on Allstar) is that on-ball defenders seem to stick a little too tight and don't make many mistakes they need time to recover from. And when they do, they tend to slide a step or two back in place and ignore momentum when recovering, so it's hard to build upon their previous missteps like Curry does here. It's one of the reasons why I'm so big on improving foot planting.

Fortunately this didn't happen when I iso-ed Curry on a center. He was pretty flat footed and I got penetration (only to miss the layup).

Quote:
Yes, the AI learns move patterns and attempts to counter them.
Ooh. Does that mean the AI might make mistakes when anticipating your previous patterns? Does it allow you to engage in a sort of chess match with the defender?

Quote:
In a nutshell, yes, the euro layup is sort of morphing into a side step layup. Reason being, most classic euro step layups start really far from the basket. Most players tend to trigger their layups a bit later so we either had to capture super tight euro layups (which looked dumb) or allow people to jump into the euros later (which is what you're seeing in 2k14.) And since we introduced the ability to shoot out of a moving fake pass, you can essentially force a classic euro step layup that way as well.

Speaking of euros, the James Harden layup package has some really nice ones in it.
Awesome nsight. So classic Harden/Manu euro steps can be triggered by starting the euro layup earlier? If so, I think folding the problematic classic euros (with big steps that tended to crash into defenders) into a context sensitive sidestep layup package that also includes close in side step layups is a brilliant move.

I accidentally triggered a euro step layup close in once. What I got didn't look like a classic euro, but as someone who likes to side step layup in real ball, it looked perfectly appropriate to me.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-03-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #43
MVP

jersez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I really like that escape dribbles create a lot of separation and movement this year. I'm hoping to replicate something like that in game eventually.

One of the things that bugs me about 2K14 (on Allstar) is that on-ball defenders seem to stick a little too tight and don't make many mistakes they need time to recover from. And when they do, they tend to slide a step or two back in place and ignore momentum when recovering, so it's hard to build upon their previous missteps like Curry does here. It's one of the reasons why I'm so big on improving foot planting.

Fortunately this didn't happen when I iso-ed Curry on a center. He was pretty flat footed and I got penetration (only to miss the layup).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxRjhIGvQqY they do it's about reading and reacting
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxRjhIGvQqY they do it's about reading and reacting
Sick tutorial, man. This will be helpful

One's best success comes after their greatest disappointments
Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #45
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Honestly, I did it about halfway yesterday with Lilliard. Forget who was guarding him but i fake him one way ... (it was afflalo) and went the other way

Instead of waiting for him and going back again though, I had enough time to look at him in the face, then do a step back jumper and he was still nowhere close to contesting the jumper. Keep working at it Sundown
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #46
MVP

jersez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Honestly, I did it about halfway yesterday with Lilliard. Forget who was guarding him but i fake him one way ... (it was afflalo) and went the other way

Instead of waiting for him and going back again though, I had enough time to look at him in the face, then do a step back jumper and he was still nowhere close to contesting the jumper. Keep working at it Sundown
Nice, 23. You're on PC right?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

hey, Beluba.

why was the hopstep/eurostep button removed? in 2k13 i liked using the hopstep button on the perimeter to create space and branch into jumpshots...but now that's impossible since you can only do hopsteps in the paint while driving. seems like an odd choice to remove the button because it removes control of perimeter hops and forces you to cram too much into the pro stick leading to high occurance of accidental eurosteps when using the RS. if there were a separate hopstep/eurostep button, holding the RS left or right could've provided more layup control (handedness of layup). the pick control from 2k13 was fine, so i don't know why it needed its own button. I always thought it made more sense to have a separate hopstep button (because you can't accidentally trigger a hop/euro when you just wanted a regular layup...like i mentioned above, a separate button would also allow room for more layup control with the RS)...every other year when the hopstep button is removed i'm baffled as to why.

also, what's up with the turbo trigger? it seems like my player doesn't speed up when i press it, or he'll only speed up in certain contextual situations rather than at my command...for example: i'll be moving to the right with the left stick, then i'll hit the sprint trigger, but he won't speed up...then maybe 3 seconds later he will speed up, but it wasn't when i pressed the trigger...it's like he just decided to speed up on his own rather than when i pressed the trigger. player speed almost seems automatic/contextual and not controllable.

explosive launches from 2k13 seem to be mostly gone as well. when i want to explode forward around a pick, out of the triple threat, or off a crossover...the explosive speed of the launches from 2k13 just isn't there. was the speed of these launches deemed unrealistic?

also, why was regular right stick passing removed? (R1 + RS towards desired teammate). i know flashy passes are there with RS, but what if we want to use RS to just do normal passes like in 2k13? i can't think of any reason why it was removed since it wouldn't seem to conflict with any of the new controls.

Last edited by blues rocker; 10-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Fantastic tutorial. I can't react that fast to those little steps and giveaways. lol. Guess I'm going to have to put in some time in scrimmage again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »