Home

NBA Live 14 Hands-On Accounts from Around the Web

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Hands-On Accounts from Around the Web within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
I really hope it does well. Solid competition is needed.0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2
The game is really all that matters...can NBA Live 14 get to the type of look and style of gameplay that 2K does...2K's is very fluid right now. Live is just scratching the surface. It's going to be tough for EA, especially this year.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22
Live's big problem is that its going up against 2K, which looks phenomenal. Its also going to retail at the full $60 and the final point is that its coming out on next gen so people are going to expect something special.

So far, looks wise, its comparable with current gen. The first few 2K trailers made it look like next gen. Live needs a solid footing to kick on next year. Hopefully it gets that.

One thing that still amazes me is that we've yet to see video of a real game, none of this produced trailer stuff, true game footage is needed for people to get a true reflection of the game. You have to wonder that with only 2 weeks to go that EA havent shown anything yet. Its no wonder people have reservations about it.
This is a perfect analysis not to mention that live missed 3 iterations on CG and focused on one console.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 14 Hands-On Accounts from Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22
Live's big problem is that its going up against 2K, which looks phenomenal. Its also going to retail at the full $60 and the final point is that its coming out on next gen so people are going to expect something special.

So far, looks wise, its comparable with current gen. The first few 2K trailers made it look like next gen. Live needs a solid footing to kick on next year. Hopefully it gets that.

One thing that still amazes me is that we've yet to see video of a real game, none of this produced trailer stuff, true game footage is needed for people to get a true reflection of the game. You have to wonder that with only 2 weeks to go that EA havent shown anything yet. Its no wonder people have reservations about it.
honestly you need to actually play the game to get a true reflection of it. this holds true for any game not just live. 2k looks great in motion but there always seems to be that lack of control in areas that you dont get a sense of from a video.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
WOW, this blog gives a much more negative overtone then any of the individual previews. In actuality most every preview talked very little about actual gameplay and spent most of the time talking about different features and modes which to me sound pretty amazing though I am also hugely disappointed in no team up play. This site must be run by 2k fanboys, just compare the overtone of this blog to the individual previews and you will notice the bias.

A lot of people might not take the time to read all of the previews so coming across as being negative when none of the previews had anything negative to say does a great disservice to potential fans/customers. Sometimes I swear some of these sites pocket money from 2k lol.
I don't think this blog was intentionally suppose to be negative. The purpose of a hands-on preview is to give impressions on the gameplay. This blog just selected an excerpt from each article that commented on lives gameplay. I don't even think the selections chosen for the blog are even negative, in fact they all seem to think that its a pretty solid game. There's nothon overly negative or overly positive about any of them. No one is/was expecting live 14 to be the greatest basketball game ever so its not surprise that we aren't seeong rave impressions; however hearing that the game is functional, and according to destructoid, "feels a heck of a lot better than it ever did" is about as positive as anyone could have hoped for.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
honestly you need to actually play the game to get a true reflection of it. this holds true for any game not just live. 2k looks great in motion but there always seems to be that lack of control in areas that you dont get a sense of from a video.
Agree. I think everyone, including my self, look at gameplay to get an idea of how good a game will play but you truly can't tell until you actually play the game. I think 2k has fallen into this trap before because the game and animations look great when watching but when you play (atleast for some of the past games) the level of control doesn't feel as smooth and fluid as what you see. I want to see 5 on 5 gameplay from live but I'm much more looking forward to trying the game out for myself
Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NBA Live 14 Hands-On Accounts from Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkraid
Its graphics don't bother me so much, gameplay should always come first. Ever wonder why so many like playing old games? Its cause of the gameplay, not the graphics. Graphics never last over time, but gameplay does. Even great as NBA2k14 next gen is going to look, by NBA2k17 the graphics will look out dated, and if NBA Live is still going head to head by then, it will mostly likely look just as good.

Also people need to remember, the more you hate on NBA Live the more likely we wont see a 2nd NBA game on the market, the best thing for NBA2k is competition, cause it makes every game better.

I'm no fanboy, and I been with NBA2k since NBA2k on the DC, I was never a NBA Live guy at least since the great NBA Live 99 game on PS1, but I so want to see NBA Live be a success. I don't understand how 2k fanboys want Live to fail so badly, go away and never come back, when at the same time they wish and dream NFL 2k would come back.

Back to topic, if NBA Live was below $60 people would look at it as being a cheap game, yet the same time people will complain that its $60, but also if the game were only $20 many would buy it, but also many would wonder why they should buy a $20 or even $40 game that might not be a full blown next gen game. Remember Live has a full demo for the launch day, so it wont take much to make up your mind if its good or not.
When you have a rival out there, that on the face of it looks amazing, then graphics are a huge part of it. We were told that games had reached their limit with current gen and that for them to take the next step then they needed these new systems.

Personally I am/was a Live player. Have done so since the Mega Drive/Genesis days. I want nothing more than Live to come back over teh next few years with a solid, fun game. As it stands, the footage we've seen has done nothing to "wow" people. 2k's trailers have done exactly that. Live needed to get peoples attention from the firs trailer and so far has failed to do so. We should be seeing video after video roll out now showing us what EA has to offer this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA Live 14: Hands-On Accounts from Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I personally think people become brainwashed by other people into thinking Live is going to suck, it's not going to be good, etc. And that in turn influences what they see when they spend time with the game. Just my theory but I've seen it happen time and time again. It's like the hivemind concept.
Not really, if anything it's the opposite. Lowered expectations allow for a bigger splash if a game was really good-- unless the product's just mediocre. Then it's influenced by preconceived notions.

Live is probably just mediocre. Which is fine to build on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »