Home

NHL 2K10: Need Player Ratings?

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10: Need Player Ratings? within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #57
Rookie

VeNOM2099's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 2K10: Need Player Ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
^^^

I don't understand the reasoning behind having player types affecting player ratings. Just makes it confusing for the user.....

could be effective and accurate for the gameplay and sim stats ( and that's all that matters actually) but it is confusing.

When I see a 93 overall vs 92 overall I will think the 93 is the better player, I don't want to think in my head...oh the 93 player is the scoring type while the 92 is the well rounded type. Since this affects this and that affects that....the 92 is better.

Hopefully, the better player is going to have the better overall rating next year.

by the way, I hope we get a thread by the title:

"Need Gameplay videos on higher difficulty settings where sliders are changed for a sim game???? "

Well, let me put it this way then: who's the greatest player of all time? Now think about WHAT it is that makes (or made) him great. Now, if you were to assign a "rating" to him, what would it be and how would it compare to other players (past and present) who were also great, but maybe for different reasons.

Also, is he a forward or a defenseman? Do you see what I mean... In the past, games made the ratings "simple" because that's what people's expectation were of a game. Forwards were always in the 90. Defensemen where in the 80. Scrubs were between 70 and 60.

But a player's worth is much more "complex" than simply numbers given for a particular "skill set". Case in point, Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are going to be the highest rated forwards in the game. In EA's game, what's going to set them appart? Judging by their "OVR" rating, there probably isn't going to be much of a difference between either (heck, there's hardly any difference as it is between some 4th line scrub or a 1st line sniper - you can deke out players and the goalies easily with both). But in 2K's game, each player will have their core differences: Ovechkin is going to be a scoring machine, Malkin is going to be a playmaker extraordinaire and Crosby will be the one that's more "balanced", giving each player their specific uses (you won't be able to use one player like you do the other), just as they do in real life.

It's more complicated, yes, but that's because it's complicated in real life. With luck, if the rating system works as intended, you won't have to worry about the numbers. All you'll have to worry about is how you play with each player. The game will take care of the rest.
The days have gone down in the West... behind the Hills... into Shadow.

How did it come to this?

Last edited by VeNOM2099; 09-02-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 1
Washington Capitals and Calgary Flames players.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #59
Just started!

OVR: 0
I know this is a long time ago but what about Steve begin

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »