Home

Sound off: Who Should LA Surround Kobe With the Next Two Years?

This is a discussion on Sound off: Who Should LA Surround Kobe With the Next Two Years? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #97
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Sound off: Who Should LA Surround Kobe With the Next Two Years?

Why would you even want Carmelo and Kobe? That would be an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions.

Someone brought up Danny Granger. He is certainly someone the Lakers could get. Deng is also a good answer at SF. When the best UFA center in the upcoming free agency is Marcin Gortat (Spencer Hawes a close second), betting everything on free agency isn't the best move. Best unrestricted PG? Kyle Lowry. SG? Thabo Sefolosha. Although, with a big enough offer, they might be able to convince Philly to not match an offer sheet on Evan Turner. Best PF is probably Pau himself.

I left out guys with ETOs and options because it's too early to tell what they will do. Getting any of the non-Melo ETO guys would be a coup. It wouldn't surprise me however, it is just too far away to predict accurately.

Last edited by rdnk; 12-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #98
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofATL

PG
- Kyle Lowry .....(Big, aggressive gaurd who can score the rock, let Steve Blake ride the bench)
SG - Kobe Bryant ....(they can try and steal Lance Stephenson from Pacers to come off bench)
SF - Rudy Gay ....(Yeah I said it, No way Melo & Kobe can play together. Both are ball hogs!!!)
PF - Dirk Nowitzki .......(time to move on from Pau Gasol, or at least consider it. Dirk would be a perfect fit)
C - Jordan Hill .......(J. Hill has been pretty productive. He is young and a beast downlow)

Just think about it.... It could be a great team!!!!!!
lol this guy thinks Dirk is gonna be a ****ing Laker.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #99
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Why would you even want Carmelo and Kobe? That would be an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions.

Someone brought up Danny Granger. He is certainly someone the Lakers could get. Deng is also a good answer at SF. When the best UFA center in the upcoming free agency is Marcin Gortat (Spencer Hawes a close second), betting everything on free agency isn't the best move. Best unrestricted PG? Kyle Lowry. SG? Thabo Sefolosha. Although, with a big enough offer, they might be able to convince Philly to not match an offer sheet on Evan Turner. Best PF is probably Pau himself.

I left out guys with ETOs and options because it's too early to tell what they will do. Getting any of the non-Melo ETO guys would be a coup. It wouldn't surprise me however, it is just too far away to predict accurately.
The Carmello/ Kobe thing would be short term. Until Kobe's contract expires it's just a good way for Lakers to transition into a post Kobe error without any drop off. Then they surround Carmello with talent. That was the plan with Howard also. Bring him in, play with Kobe for 2/3 years then usher in a new LA era.

Granger, Deng, Gortat all good players but not a good long term fix. If they do this then it would be short term. then LA would have to go into a complete rebuild mode, which could take a longer period of time. I doubt they want that approach right now, especially with the Clippers being relevant. thats my opinion.

IMO, Carmello as of right now makes the most sense. He's box office too!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #100
MVP

OkayC's Arena

OVR: 0

^ if we got melo, then kobe would not get a 6th ring. Melo and kobe are both alpha personalities that would clash over who would be a number one scoring option, and who would take the last shot in a game. Melo is also an even bigger chucker than what kobe is, and gets easily frustrated, and doesn't even make an attempt on the defensive end of the floor. Kobe may not be the defender he was once was, but he will at least attempt to play it once in a while. melo is also 30 and the lakers would just need to look to rebuilding or reloading or re whatever in a few years anyway. Melo+kobe+same team=fail. The lakers don't even need another franchise player so to speak. thats just the mindset people have about the lakers because its what they've done for so long. Just get a good free agent or two, then surround them with a bunch of good role players. Theres only so many franchise players in the league, none of which are currently likely to come to the lakers this coming offseason. And if you want a ringless even more selfish, and twice as knuckleheadish(yes i made that up) version of kobe. Then go the route of melo. But the dude would get booed out of staples in couple of months. He can't get out of the first round of the playoffs on a team built around him, with tons of talent. Why on earth could he do the same on a lakers team, where him and kobe more likely than not, would not mesh?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #101
MVP

Melbournelad's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
ok. all the names I mentioned are based off players becoming free agents in the 13/14 14/15/ 15/16seasons.

Historically Lakers have never had a 4/5 year rebuilding process. In the past their rebuilding process took 2 years at most. and even in those years those teams were competitive. 04/05 season and 92/93 season comes to mind. back in the mid70s they spent 2 straight seasons out of the playoffs.
with that logic they could get Carmello, with just Kobe, and fill mid range roster type players, still be competitive until Kobe comes off the books. then go after high priced free agents. in 2015/16. again thats the year Hibbert has a player option.
I guess what Im saying the Lakers being the Lakers, will have 2 high profile players with Kobe before he retires. This Also provides LA with a smooth transition into the next LA era.

Again, The Lakers have never had long rebuilding processes and I dont see that happening now. they have the majority of their roster coming off the books at the right time. and historically they always land top talent. Again, Howard is the only recent exception.

so Ill stick to my Carmello, Kobe and Hibbert in 2015/16. and theyll as usual pursue every high profile free agent (Eric Bledsoe), and will surprise us when they land those players. Thats what the Lakers have always done.
C'mon man, stop. Do I have to explain it for the 10th time? If the Lakers are interested in Bledsoe, it will be because he had a very good season. If that happens, the Suns WILL match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #102
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
C'mon man, stop. Do I have to explain it for the 10th time? If the Lakers are interested in Bledsoe, it will be because he had a very good season. If that happens, the Suns WILL match.
ok. so you are basically telling me that if you were a GM, you wouldn't pursue a restricted free agent/free agent because a team would match the offer submitted to "said" player....seriously?
especially when you'll have a good amount of cap space, again seriously?
what sense does that make.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #103
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayC
^ if we got melo, then kobe would not get a 6th ring. Melo and kobe are both alpha personalities that would clash over who would be a number one scoring option, and who would take the last shot in a game. Melo is also an even bigger chucker than what kobe is, and gets easily frustrated, and doesn't even make an attempt on the defensive end of the floor. Kobe may not be the defender he was once was, but he will at least attempt to play it once in a while. melo is also 30 and the lakers would just need to look to rebuilding or reloading or re whatever in a few years anyway. Melo+kobe+same team=fail. The lakers don't even need another franchise player so to speak. thats just the mindset people have about the lakers because its what they've done for so long. Just get a good free agent or two, then surround them with a bunch of good role players. Theres only so many franchise players in the league, none of which are currently likely to come to the lakers this coming offseason. And if you want a ringless even more selfish, and twice as knuckleheadish(yes i made that up) version of kobe. Then go the route of melo. But the dude would get booed out of staples in couple of months. He can't get out of the first round of the playoffs on a team built around him, with tons of talent. Why on earth could he do the same on a lakers team, where him and kobe more likely than not, would not mesh?
good analysis. I have that old Laker mindset that you mentioned.
However, guaranteed the Lakers will pursue Carmello.

Analysts will say it will work cause Kobe and Carmello have a good relationship. they had goo on court chemistry in international competition etc..
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #104
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

This thread lmao.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »