Home

What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

This is a discussion on What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2024, 09:34 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Yeah I heard Rappaport say today that the Bears want to wait until after Caleb’s pro day to make a decision.

That blows my mind UNLESS there’s concerns about this medical which I haven’t seen any injury concerns circulating. By waiting until after free agency starts the Bears are basically killing Fields’ trade value. Just off the top of my head and without knowing how serious any of those teams are you have to cross off Pittsburgh, Atlanta, maybe Minnesota with Darnold (assuming they draft a QB), Tampa w/ Baker resigning, etc…

I just can’t imagine any teams would wait until after Free Agency started and then the draft comes around to make a decision on your most important position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I might disagree; I'm not sure.

What determines trade value? Its basically supply and demand right?
Well after free agency the supply is going to nosedive.

I can see the argument that if the Bears entered trade negotiations early, other teams can low ball them because there are other QBs available on the market. After FA Fields may be the only game in town.

Waiting until after FA certainly shrinks your pool of potential trade partners, but it could also increase the Bears leverage with the remaining teams.

Waiting is definitely the more riskier move, but it could result in higher return. Not really sure, just thinking out loud
Old 03-13-2024, 10:01 PM   #74
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I might disagree; I'm not sure.

What determines trade value? Its basically supply and demand right?
Well after free agency the supply is going to nosedive.

I can see the argument that if the Bears entered trade negotiations early, other teams can low ball them because there are other QBs available on the market. After FA Fields may be the only game in town.

Waiting until after FA certainly shrinks your pool of potential trade partners, but it could also increase the Bears leverage with the remaining teams.

Waiting is definitely the more riskier move, but it could result in higher return. Not really sure, just thinking out loud
The problem is that this is a "very deep" Qb draft pool from what experts are saying. Why trade for a Fields if you have a top 15 pick when you can just as easily maybe draft a Bo Nix or someone like that if he's on the board halfway through the draft.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:13 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
The problem is that this is a "very deep" Qb draft pool from what experts are saying. Why trade for a Fields if you have a top 15 pick when you can just as easily maybe draft a Bo Nix or someone like that if he's on the board halfway through the draft.
That applies regardless of when the Bears try to trade Fields.

This is why the Bears are in an unenviable position. No one knows what the "right" move is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2024, 07:59 AM   #76
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
That applies regardless of when the Bears try to trade Fields.

This is why the Bears are in an unenviable position. No one knows what the "right" move is.

It’s such a crazy situation because they are in the “enviable” position to have the 1st overall pick in a draft with a deep QB pool and the #9 (I think).

In regards to your other post. I definitely see your logic and don’t disagree. I think at this point if the Free Agency window and with the draft approaching quickly we’re probably talking about the difference between a late round pick (5th & 6th or something close).

I think the only way this situation works out favorably for Fields and/or Chicago is if they wait and someone loses a starting QB to injury after the draft.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:17 AM   #77
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
It’s such a crazy situation because they are in the “enviable” position to have the 1st overall pick in a draft with a deep QB pool and the #9 (I think).

In regards to your other post. I definitely see your logic and don’t disagree. I think at this point if the Free Agency window and with the draft approaching quickly we’re probably talking about the difference between a late round pick (5th & 6th or something close).

I think the only way this situation works out favorably for Fields and/or Chicago is if they wait and someone loses a starting QB to injury after the draft.

And then poor Fields will be thrust in to a starting spot on a totally new team and with scheme and coaches. The cycle continues.

Yes, great players can rise above but geez, let this kid catch a break of consistency. I think back to Alex Smith, I think he had a new coach and coordinator in like 4 of his first 5 seasons before Harbaugh. He became a solid QB and eventually a wily vet at the end. But if he was drafted in todays age, don’t know if he would’ve kept getting a shot (especially on the same team).

All of Chicago’s decisions so far have been uninspiring. Retain the coach who’s done nothing to try to establish continuity. Kick the can on the lame duck QB, hoping to get lucky that someone will be desperate to offer decent compensation. The #1 QB in the draft has made some noise he isn’t keen on going to QB purgatory. I have low confidence they will come out of this as clear winners taking all of these moves or non-moves in to account.

I do like the hiring of Washington as DC and Waldron as OC. Hopefully the situation clears up and those guys can get to work coaching up the young QB and defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 03-16-2024, 06:49 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Well I guess that answers that lol. Fields to Pitt.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:37 PM   #79
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Well I guess that answers that lol. Fields to Pitt.
Yup. A bit of a strange move for Pitt considering they just got Wilson but it's their problem now.

Yikes on that return
Old 03-17-2024, 02:11 AM   #80
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
Yup. A bit of a strange move for Pitt considering they just got Wilson but it's their problem now.

Yikes on that return
Weird move all the way around but the way it shapes up is Pitt is either trading a 4th rd pick for a starting QB, or a 6th round pick for a one year backup.

That will hinge on how much of a gap Wilson has over Fields for the starting spot. Will there be a competition or is Fields taking something of a redshirt year
Edit: Immediately after posting I see this:
"Fields is not expected to compete with Wilson for the starting job, a team source told ESPN's Brooke Pryor. Instead, Fields is expected to learn from the Super Bowl winner and nine-time Pro Bowler."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »