Home

What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

This is a discussion on What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2024, 11:20 AM   #57
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

I still don't understand why Denver hasn't called the Bears about him.

Send Jeudy to the Bears straight up for Fields. Bears can get Williams, and not have to draft a WR at 9.

Sent from my SM-F946U using Operation Sports mobile app
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 02-13-2024, 03:01 PM   #58
Rookie

Dagan's Arena

OVR: 0

Here's my .02 cents on this year's QB's

Caleb Williams won't work out in Chicago. He works out in my mind, best, if he goes to Seattle. He needs a loaded roster of seasoned guys and a scheme that doesn't need him to be superman right away while he catches up to the speed of the NFL.

Jayden Daniels is similar to Lamar Jackson, and so the hope is that he doesn’t go to a similar situation because changing ones entire scheme to a scrambling QB just keeps not fully working out. It’s lightning in a bottle, yes, but it’s also constantly a small injury away from extreme liability and why you’d lose.

Drake Maye is just the bigger QB out of UNC manufacturing. Trubisky and Howell already show you what you’re getting. If your WR roster is loaded, Maye will look great, but that’s that.

JJ McCarthy isn’t going to last in the NFL for long. Not as a starter, anyway. He isn’t Mahomes. He isn’t Lamar. He definitely isn’t Brady. The kid honestly many times looks like he’s trying to be a little bit of the different greats, but at the same time, that indecision looks obvious, and such hesitation at the NFL level is going to get him hurt. He isn’t built to withstand the kinds of hits coming his way. At best, I think he becomes a Jared Goff type over time, and that’s if he commits to being a pocket QB only.

Michael Penix Jr. reminds me so much of Rodney Ware. The title game proved that, too. He reads the field pretty well, he’s certainly tough but he needs a solid, reliable run game in whatever scheme for him to excel in. It’s more often the case with a lot of guys needing this, but also so very often, organizations aren’t wise enough to do it.

Bo Nix feels like Carson Wentz again. Maybe he’s a bit fleet of foot faster, but for the most part, I just keep seeing Carson Wentz flashbacks. Serviceable and can be a good starter, but he’s going to have to prove he can function in an NFL system because he’s only worked out in spread option RPO styles so far. I know that NFL offenses have evolved to include such, but what a lot of folks keep ignoring is that, that scheme doesn’t last the entire year and win championships. In fact, the only time it has worked out that I recall is when Philadelphia won the super bowl, but it was because the guys they had as backups weren’t worn out and were of starting quality caliber to finish out the year. They were fresh and not season long beaten down like everyone else. It always comes down to the simplest pro style schemes that take the cake. So, yeah, this kid is Carson Wentz who needs to learn another scheme.

I do have a few chip on their shoulders, darkhorse QB’s to name, though. I tend to get these right pretty often, too. I hit on O’Connell and Bagent this past year. I’m pretty sure that I told some folks around here about it at the time. Anyway, my darkhorse guys in this draft are – Sam Hartman, Spencer Rattler, Jordan Travis. Those three guys are going to come into the league and have that “dawg” in them and play every snap they get like they have something to prove.

Again, just my 02. Cents.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:12 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I’m already preparing myself for the Bears to **** this up, my big fear is they pass on Caleb for non football reasons
Old 03-02-2024, 03:23 PM   #60
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Swap with Washington for Jonathan Allen and a boatload of picks.

Chicago gets a defensive anchor and several opportunities to build around Fields.

Washington gets their QB, the hometown kid, that already has familiarity with their new offensive coordinator.

This is the most likely, realistic scenario that I've heard.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:33 PM   #61
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I’m already preparing myself for the Bears to **** this up, my big fear is they pass on Caleb for non football reasons
He is making it tempting to do so, I'm not going to lie. Just a newer generation of college athlete but it makes me nervous with his cockiness, lack of wanting to participate in the combine, no agent, etc. the lack of allowing some access to him by some teams because "they aren't going to get to draft me anyway." Seems so crazy to me but maybe I'm old lol. There is a chance we trade the pick and who knows what team would give the best package, but I don't like a 22 year old dictating who has the opportunity to have access to him.

Ideally this should be a total football decision but some of Caleb's comments reslly do worry me when he walks into an NFL locker room.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2024, 08:45 AM   #62
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
He is making it tempting to do so, I'm not going to lie. Just a newer generation of college athlete but it makes me nervous with his cockiness, lack of wanting to participate in the combine, no agent, etc. the lack of allowing some access to him by some teams because "they aren't going to get to draft me anyway." Seems so crazy to me but maybe I'm old lol. There is a chance we trade the pick and who knows what team would give the best package, but I don't like a 22 year old dictating who has the opportunity to have access to him.

Ideally this should be a total football decision but some of Caleb's comments reslly do worry me when he walks into an NFL locker room.

I think that logic ..”not all teams can or would trade up to draft me so why give them all access to me”. He’s consented to the teams he realistically knows have a shot at him.

I’m pretty meh on all things combine related though. Give me tape>>>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2024, 10:11 AM   #63
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik

I like that he’s using his leverage to push the envelope. I think the combine is more or less a waste of time for established guys and with rookie salaries slotted he doesn’t really need an agent. If you’re good enough to call your own shots then do it.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:22 PM   #64
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm not even sure if there's a landing spot anymore for Fields. Atlanta is out. Pitt is out. Maybe NYG? 5th rounder?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »