Home

NBA 2K14 - What the 2K Team-Up Members Thought of the New Blocking System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 - What the 2K Team-Up Members Thought of the New Blocking System within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K14 - What the 2K Team-Up Members Thought of the New Blocking System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramz718
Shake4ndBake via Twitter

"People don't realize NBA2K, ISNT REAL LIFE. Saying blocked dunks should be rare... THATS HOW IT IS IN 2k13! Expect to see around 3-5 a game"
UGGGghhhh.

My least favorite of the YouTube guys here, and my least favorite mentality regarding 2K and basketball games.

3-5 a game: "They didn't seem overpowered-- there's potential for potential adjustments." 3-5 a game is stupid overpowered to the extreme.

The reason people asked for blocked dunks was because the block and dunk system was completely broken. It wasn't rare-- it NEVER happened. Lack of blocked dunks was just a symptom of the overall in-paint contact system (which was strangely 2K13's most touted yet most broken feature).

Yes, we want them because it happens and we need to be able to contest dunks. No, we (sim guys) don't want them happening 5 times a game. More like 1 in 5 games. It should happen rarely, like anklebreakers with sim settings.

I really hope they are way toned down on sim settings, and the new block system produces more realistic and believable results.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #50
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdownD
That's what I would be interested in knowing as well. I'm curious what kind of various contact/collision animations mid-air on dunk attempts there are if there isn't a block. In 2k13, I didn't have a huge problem not being able to block dunks, rather I had a huge problem with defensive positioning not being respected and getting slid or moved out of the way on dunks and other combo moves and not having proper contact/collision animations.
Thank you... this comes up in almost EVERY video I make...
Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0

blocking dunks was already great in 2k11... then they stripped the game, and took out CREW. good to see it back, hopefully crew is with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #52
Rookie

2K should limit the dunk frequency and type(mj free throw dunk in real game? come on~ ) other than just fix the block system
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
UGGGghhhh.

My least favorite of the YouTube guys here, and my least favorite mentality regarding 2K and basketball games.

3-5 a game: "They didn't seem overpowered-- there's potential for potential adjustments." 3-5 a game is stupid overpowered to the extreme.

The reason people asked for blocked dunks was because the block and dunk system was completely broken. It wasn't rare-- it NEVER happened. Lack of blocked dunks was just a symptom of the overall in-paint contact system (which was strangely 2K13's most touted yet most broken feature).

Yes, we want them because it happens and we need to be able to contest dunks. No, we (sim guys) don't want them happening 5 times a game. More like 1 in 5 games. It should happen rarely, like anklebreakers with sim settings.

I really hope they are way toned down on sim settings, and the new block system produces more realistic and believable results.
People don't realize that you can't continuously attack the paint against an elite shot blocker and not expect your shot to be thrown. The percentage of blocks should be based on how many times you attempt to attack the paint while that blocker is there.

Example Ibaka protecting the paint against the Nuggets who usually lead the league in PIP. They keep attacking the paint he keeps throwing their shots lol. Ibaka has the best combination of leaping ability timing and hand eye coordination

Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #54
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
People don't realize that you can't continuously attack the paint against an elite shot blocker and not expect your shot to be thrown. The percentage of blocks should be based on how many times you attempt to attack the paint while that blocker is there.

Example Ibaka protecting the paint against the Nuggets who usually lead the league in PIP. They keep attacking the paint he keeps throwing their shots lol. Ibaka has the best combination of leaping ability timing and hand eye coordination

THANK YOU. I'm reading all of these things in both threads and just throwing my hands up in the air.

First: They aren't touting this as a new feature. EVERYONE COMPLAINED THE MOST ABOUT BLOCKING DUNKS, so it makes sense that the first major announcement is dunk blocking, and improved blocks in general. Supposedly they revamped the engine, and that remains to be seen. However, how many people list the blocking mechanics as the first thing on wishlists for 2k14 next to crew? It makes perfect sense to me to announce some of the most wanted gameplay improvements first, and this is a huge one considering how many of you complained about this for 2k13. Even better if they actually helped blocking in general, since I'm tired of the ball teleporting through my hand on a block because the game didn't feel like giving it to me, despite me timing it right.

Second: Look at this in perspective. How many dunks a game happen in 2k13? My average game online, or even regularly has an easy 10+ occurring. How many dunks happen in a real life basketball game? Not nearly that much. So yeah, I expect 3-5 dunks blocked a game, simply because the amount of dunks that happen in the game are ridiculous. If you see 33% of all dunks blocked, and there are 15 dunks in a game of 2k14, I'm ok with 5 of them getting sent back. I'm sure when you set the sim sliders up like you guys love to do, which will decrease the amount of dunks done in game, you'll see less dunk blocks. I guarantee we'll see a ton of blocked dunks online, because players seem to love trying to drive to the rim and make a poster out of people.

OS shows that like every game fanbase, you're just Unpleaseable. "We want dunks to be blockable".
"Ok, You can block dunks".
"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? That's too much!"

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #55
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15

Context is paramount. Is this guy an online only player? Is he talking about against the CPU? Or just the average player that dives to the hoop at all times?

This could also mean an even larger emphasis on floaters. I mean every move needs to have a counter, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #56
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme

Can't wait to unleash asik and Howard!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »