Home

Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #49
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Top Spin 4 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randiesel75
I'm loving this game, so much that I just preordered on Amazon. For those unaware, the preorder now comes with free release date shipping and a $20 credit to your account.
I believe the following has already been mentioned before, but looks to be buried somewhere in the forum. For anyone interested, preorder Top Spin 4 at gamestop, and receive a vintage Agassi sporting long hair. It's an exclusive gamestop preorder special.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/07/top-spin-4/

I'm uncertain as to how I want to approach this:
(A) Gamestop: $59.99 + California tax = $65.00 PLUS vintage Agassi exclusive playable character.
(B) Amazon: $59.99 + 0 tax = $59.99 PLUS $20 dollar promotional credit.

**Through amazon, I would ultimately be "saving" $25 dollars; in other words, is vintage Agassi worth $25 dollars? I'll probably decide the day prior.**
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 03-03-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 5

Just had some good TV time with the demo. Some impressions in no particular order:

- Player models.... WOW!!! Clearly the standout for me. You could be excused for thinking they were actual photos, or game play footage of these guys. 2K has done an amazing job to get the models looking so lifelike. Even to the point where Rafa & Fed's hair moves when they shake their head around (unlike the superglue Lincecum mullet on The Show demo!) Also, has anyone else noticed that one of the security guards behind the players in the tunnel SNEEZES?? He hunches over and covers his mouth. What on earth made them put that in? But I love it. Little quirks like that add realism. I just hope it doesn't happen every time!

- Serving might need a bit of tweaking. The ball just leisurely flies over the net with no real speed or authority. I know a previous post said that not everyone serves like Roddick or Karlovic, but this is slower than WTA (with all due respect ladies). The ball moves faster across my TV in a real match, so I'm hoping it can be patched or something to allow a more dynamic and faster service speed.

- Other users have also complained about the lack of opponent unforced errors. I've only seen the one so far (Rafa put a ball wide during a rally). Again, it would probably be nice to see a few more of these creep in (particularly at the end of long matches as players tire - and more so for those with a lower stamina rating). I wonder if this has been factored into the final build? We'll just have to wait and see.

- Presentation was immaculate. Despite the lack of commentary, the scoreboard, overlays and cut scenes are tremendous. THey've even nailed Rafa's fist pump celebration. He brought it out after saving a set point against me (not sure whether they time the big celebrations for critical points or not, but it was a nice touch).

When all is said and done, this game has gone from a "maybe buy" to a "probably buy". I'll give it a week or so after release, see what the opinions say and see whether 2K has a patch for any of the (minor) things that have been brought up in this thread.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #51
Gaming Fool.

PAPERNUT's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
One thing about aces - I understand people being frustrated by not seeing them, but at the same time you have to realize that aces aren't really that prevalent and that it's far often the unreturnable serve or short ball for an easy winner than just a clean ace. Outside of the guys like Roddick, Isner, Karlovic, the best servers on the ATP tour usually average only 10 aces a match at most. Federer only averages about 6 aces a match, Nadal only about 4, Djokovic only about 7.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/MatchFacts.aspx

Great point. Hopefully over the course of a 3-5 set match we will see a bit more in the final release and for those players with the bigger serves. I have seen many times where a decent serve will get the opponent off balance with a weak return, so that is realistic in the sense it allows the server the opportunity to dictate the point from the start. Practice may help as well as it is hard to get a rhythm playing a tiebreak.
Twitter
YouTube
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #52
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I have yet to see an unforced error in the statistics. Either they aren't being collected properly or I don't know what an unforced error is. Is it possible to not have a winner and not have an unforced error on the same point?
Yes, you can have a forced error which is not tracked.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #53
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
- Serving might need a bit of tweaking. The ball just leisurely flies over the net with no real speed or authority. I know a previous post said that not everyone serves like Roddick or Karlovic, but this is slower than WTA (with all due respect ladies). The ball moves faster across my TV in a real match, so I'm hoping it can be patched or something to allow a more dynamic and faster service speed.
Right stick serving seems to be the way to go if you want to hit big serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papernut
Great point. Hopefully over the course of a 3-5 set match we will see a bit more in the final release and for those players with the bigger serves. I have seen many times where a decent serve will get the opponent off balance with a weak return, so that is realistic in the sense it allows the server the opportunity to dictate the point from the start. Practice may help as well as it is hard to get a rhythm playing a tiebreak.
Agreed. Hopefully more aces are in the retail build, but in a 7 point tiebreak it's hard to expect 3-4 aces a match. And Rafa and Roger are both lowly rated serves compared to Sampras and Roddick, so those guys may hit more aces.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1

Nadal with one wristband, Federer with two? Nadal with his 2009 haircut? Come on 2K, those are minor but important details. How many people would like it if you put a headband on Kobe and took Lebron's off in NBA 2K11?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #55
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Video of intro to a match if anyone cares

Had some issues trying to embed the video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #56
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Video of two rallies and me getting owned by Nadal. It has been a long time since I've played a tennis game and it showed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »