Home

Top Spin 4 Impressions/Questions Thread

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 Impressions/Questions Thread within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Top Spin 4 Impressions/Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
Very Hard never felt cheap, like you speculated I pretty much got outstrategized and didnt focus enough once I dug a hole for myself.

As far as the serves, I agree they seem easier than TS2 and TS3, but one thing I noticed as they don't let you setup as far wide as they did in previous games.
To expand on this, if u line up wide they can return it for a winner pretty easily
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Just played a match on Very Hard vs CPU: Sampras (me) vs Nadal (CPU); lost 3-0, 4-2. Was a tough challenge, but I felt at certain points that I was doing the right things. Nadal was just ridiculous though.

The stats
Sampras (me): 24 winners, 11 UEs
Nadal (CPU): 24 winners, 0 UEs

The 0 UEs is disconcerting. Definitely felt like Nadal could not miss at all. Hoping this has more to do with Nadal being that good than everyone on Very Hard playing flawless tennis.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #27
Pro

Panicshade's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah...THAT Guy, did you get your Agassi code to work? I responded to your other thread when you were having problems with it.

Also I responded back to the person who was wondering where the extra difficulty setting was at. You have to unlock it in Career Mode by winning a Grand Slam Tournament on Very Hard.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Just played a match on Very Hard vs CPU: Sampras (me) vs Nadal (CPU); lost 3-0, 4-2. Was a tough challenge, but I felt at certain points that I was doing the right things. Nadal was just ridiculous though.

The stats
Sampras (me): 24 winners, 11 UEs
Nadal (CPU): 24 winners, 0 UEs

The 0 UEs is disconcerting. Definitely felt like Nadal could not miss at all. Hoping this has more to do with Nadal being that good than everyone on Very Hard playing flawless tennis.
Nadal is good but not that good. I guess it's pretty hard in a tennis video game to make the AI very challenging and still allow them to make a fair amount of unforced errors or in this case any at all. Oh well.

Maybe if you play a 6 game 3\5 set match fatigue plays more of a part in Nadal screwing up.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'll tell you right now, maybe I had too many expectations for the game, but I am really disappointed. This coming from a tennis player and fan.

Load times are rough.
Nadal has one wristband and hair from a couple years ago.
Federer has two wristbands. (what if NBA 2K11 put a headband on Kobe and took it off Lebron? Same type of deal here with detail mishaps)
Can't edit your created player's face or body or anything after making it (so you better create them right from the beginning)
Playing with the move is really disappointing. I thought I would get something better than Grand Slam Tennis for the Wii. The use of move in this game is really bad and unrealistic.
Not sure if this is the true limit, but only 4 created players? Come on.
You can't rename the random players in the tournaments. I just want to make it realistic somewhat. Let me rename these guys and tweak them a little (like in other sports games).
"Sparring matches?" Real tennis being called classic tennis with a bunch of silly other ways to keep score like it is table tennis? Come on, just seems like an insult to the tennis game.

Anyway, I know I rattled these off and might come off mad, but I just really wanted something different. The gameplay is better, but so much more could be done. Having the ball boys and umpire move for one could have also been a nice touch.

Hopefully online is fun (no one on yet) and we can get DLC players. Otherwise, I guess I'm waiting to see what Virtua Tennis 4 can bring to the table.

If you need any more information on the game I'll answer it for you. I like to think I am pretty unbias towards the game, and I stated the bad things above but there are good things as well.

Also, I just remembered this. The rating system is flat out bad. Everyone a 20, except the two young guns? Nadal is a 20, Blake is a 20 and Dinara Safina is a 20!?!?!? Not only is this flat out wrong (again, in NBA 2K11 you can tell a difference between Lebron (a top player) and say, Shawn Marion (a guy who is still decent like Blake, but certainly not on his level). It could be another challenge if they made the women realistic. Serena is the only female player who could maybe win a game or two off the top guys. Everyone else would be blown away. Should have made it tiers.

Finally...players. I know I know, licenses. You know what? That's a bad excuse and I'm not buying it. I've seen guys like Ferrer, Lopez, Isner, Querrey, etc. play video games. These guys are good, not great. Which means in all seriousness, how hard would it be to get their permission? My guess is a lot of the younger guys would LOVE to be in a video game. Don't have money? Market it this way. Kids play the video games and learn the players. You don't think more people will know Bernard Tomic after this game? It's another way of interacting with fans. Think of it like Twitter. Not having at least double the roster we have on this game is unacceptable. That being said, I'll buy every single DLC player they give us (men's anyway, women's I'll wait and see).

All in all, I am fine with the game and I am not one who is going to just quit and return it or something. I love tennis, I follow tennis, I play at a decent level (4.0 to 4.5 if you wondered...good, but certainly not unreal). I just really wish this 2K game could be as good as the NBA one. Money and budgets are tight, so it's time to think outside the box to create a more realistic roster. Let us at least edit these random green-haired players in career mode. Let us create a lot of players. Give us DLC. Something.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

To quickly add on to all my negativity above, this is the most realistic tennis game ever by far. Playing Roddick-Sampras right now on hard and as expected it's near impossible to break serve. Tied 3-3 right now (playing 1 full set). I almost feel like they were on there way to making this game truly great, and then simply ran out of time and resources.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #31
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panicshade
Yeah...THAT Guy, did you get your Agassi code to work? I responded to your other thread when you were having problems with it.

Also I responded back to the person who was wondering where the extra difficulty setting was at. You have to unlock it in Career Mode by winning a Grand Slam Tournament on Very Hard.
I haven't tried entering the code yet. I'm gonna give it a shot now.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 16

Where do you enter the code at?

I just played my first match on hard. I can honestly say, this is the best sports game I have played in terms of realism. Such a fantastic game, and I am excited to see all the matchups I can create. Well, here are my stats when I played with my favorite player (Nadal) against my 2nd favorite player (Murray). I will post my analysis afterwards, and early review.

Nadal: Murray:
75 1st serve % 95
52 Win 1st serve % 51
67 Win on 2nd serve % 0
0 Aces 2
0 Double Faults 1
37 Winners 52
10 Unforced Errors 26
5/12 Break Points 3/6
8/12 Net Points 3/3
75 Total Points 66

Quick Analysis:

Graphics: Player models especially are much improved. The stadiums look beautiful and the crowd looks decent. Players sweat throughout the match and I like the closeup of each player during the changeovers. 8.5 / 10

Gameplay: There is definitely a chess match involved between the players. The CPU made some adjustments during the match, including going for 1st serve more and hitting much more slice in 2nd set. I saw the ball hit the net tape much more for the CPU than me, and almost every time it hit his own side (about 9/10). Also, as you can see, Murray almost never missed his first serve. It should be closer to 55 -60 %. His serves although a bit faster in 2nd set, he could have went for much more. All in all, most realistic sports game I have played. 9.0 / 10

Presentation: I like the clapping, though wish there was more especially building up for late points. It could have been due to it being an exhibition match, not sure. I also prefer the fatigue bar from last year over this years one, but not a huge deal. I wish the stats were shown side-by-side through the course of the match, and also more in-depth stats like Forehand winner vs. Backhand Winners and Unforced Errors for both sides. Not to mention, the stats at the bottom right listed "Nadal has 10 faults this match" during 2 whole games, my service games and Murrays. Then, it also seems the net points are not calculated properly, as I check it after I win / lose a point at the net, and it doesn't mark it. It's the easiest one to check, but makes me suspicious about the other stats. A huge improvement though from Top Spin 3. 8 / 10

Lasting Appeal: There are so many different styles of play, which hopefully are similarly balanced. You could create so many different matchups that make this game playable for years. I hope Roddick for the CPU goes for much bigger serves than what I saw with Murray! I haven't played online yet, but I hope it's not laggy. Also, I hope there are some downloadable players to even increase the amount of options. Keep in mind I haven't played career mode yet. 9.5 / 10

Other: I noticed it really helps to hold in shot button while you are running towards the ball, because you get MUCH more power into the shot. Also, even though I play a lot of tennis, and am a top player on my school's team, I still did some dumb things during the game like doing my approach shot cross-court. Murray hit many winners from that mistake. I think if I did both of those things throughout the whole match, it would have been a bigger blowout. On a different note, I wish there was more than 2 outfits per each player and one to unlock. I think with only 25 players there should be 5 per player.

To poster who didn't know how to view replay, either switch it to very often in main menu or press y (on 360) if replay doesn't show up, right after the point is played.

Overall: One of the sports games I have ever played. I wrote down all the nit-picky stuff that I found during my first match. I could have filled up two pages with all the awesome things this game has and has improved upon. I am very impressed. So, after reading my review, don't think I am being pessimistic at all, I just wanted to write down all of my negative issues with it so far. 9.0 / 10

Last edited by at23steelers; 03-15-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »