Home

New Top Spin 4 Balancing Update

This is a discussion on New Top Spin 4 Balancing Update within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #41
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: New Top Spin 4 Balancing Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
How can you say at the same time it's close to a true sim and yet say you have not and are not taking the time to play it enough to test its competitive balance for offline? That doesn't make sense to me.

I never said that. Maybe you're misunderstanding me or I'm not understanding your point?

The game is closer to true sim. Fact. What does that have to do with me choosing or not choosing to play the game?

I don't want to take the time to relearn it. Fact. What does that have to do with whether or not the game is closer to true sim?

Those two things have nothing in common.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

i'm getting better, just picked it up last week(so didnt have to "re-learn")

i'm finding that on very hard you have to finish more points at the net

my player has like a 41 for volley and does a decent enough job at this

lost to Nadal in 3rd set super tiebreak in the semis at the French(TS scoring)

disheartening loss but his butt is grass on grass or hard courts
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I can't play this game anymore after the latest update. It went from a fun experience where I was looking forward to leveling up and playing more competitive guys to just mere frustration.

Far too many times I lightly tap the stick and try to hit a passing shot and my player ends up landing it well outside. There's very little visual context to my actions.

The point is, I don't play enough video games to relearn the controls. It took me a lot of time to go from being very bad at this game to finally getting a groove and being good at it. Now they make me feel like I have to start over.

My satisfaction with the game is nil right now. After losing in straight sets to a player nearly 10 levels worse than me, I have decided to sell the game.

The amount of unforced errors my video game counterpart is hitting without me forcing the issue (I am playing beyond conservative tennis at this point) is proof enough that this game is just too difficult for me. I'm simply not good enough and I don't have the time nor patience to master it.

It was a good game for me at one point. I have to move on.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I just tried playing a charity match the other night and got smoked by a level 3 player...and I'm an 11. This is the third straight time this has happened to me with nearly identical level differences. I was getting pretty frustrated at one point so I even hit a shot without trying to aim at all and it went wide. I had to move a little bit but I was there in enough time to prepare a decent return.

Before, the game was challenging but in such a way that I always felt like I could win or lose any match. Now, I just honestly feel like I can't win no matter what I try. Like you said, I would rather not re-learn a game that I was finally getting the hang of.

Anyway, I'm actually feeling sad about this. I really was having a lot of fun in the career mode. Unless this changes, this is getting traded in when I pick up NCAA Football 12 in a couple weeks.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
It's obvious that the game went from the casual/sim state to the hardcore/sim state after the last update.Why don't you all just delete the data and bring the game to 1.0 default release?
I've actually thought about deleting and going back to the 1.0 release. However, these updates are forced into the game. If I forget to disconnect before starting the game, I'll have to go back and delete everything all over again. If these only affected online or non-CPU matches, I'd be ok since I have yet to play one online.

I'm all for tuning a game after release but this one just went way too far for me. I think you described the shift perfectly. While I do enjoy the sim aspects of this (and others) game, I certainly fall into the casual category when it comes to my abilities and patience.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #45
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18

I don't know but I am loving this game after the update. 2k IMO has done a hell of job with this game, this is one of the most underrated games out to me.

If anyone wants to play online sometime just hit me up.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 1

Please anyone, can upload the last balancing update for xbox 360 (my internet conection was disabled for modem problems).

thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0
AI is beatable on 'very hard'

I discovered this by mistake. I was trying to skip a replay and I accidentally pressed 'X' too many times and started a slow serve. So I decided to go with it and pushed the service as wide as possible. Two things struck me:
1. These slow serves can be pushed into a corner. In a similar situation the advanced serve will always go wide.
2. The 'very hard' AI gets confused. I guess the AI is programmed for fast serves so when you give it a sitter it just goes for an all out power shot. And as my player had time to recover from the service motion I could easily counter the power shot return.

And like I posted earlier, you have to go to the net as often as possible. My player has a lowly 51 in the volley stats and I'm still able to kill of a lot of points at the net.

In closing, slow serve very wide, power shot the return into the opposite corner and come to the net. Kill the point.

Now I need to figure out how to break the AI serve.

Last edited by adwait_8; 07-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #48
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

At first, I thought the new update was great. Before the update, I was 34-2 in my career mode playing on the highest difficulty with all of the helpers turned off.

After the update, I won my first match against one of the made up players and then lost in the next round to Wahrinka in straight sets. So I was thinking "Alright, no big deal. He's a good player, I'll just come back and win next time." So my next match was against a Rank 17 made up player (I was 19 at the time) and I just get absolutely smoked. Even when I had the entire court open for an easy winner, my guy would hit the ball too far (with me just tapping the top spin or slice button mind you). After this match I'm thinking "Ugh, looks like I'll really have to earn my wins with this new update, but whatever, it's fine". My next match was against another made up guy, rank 19. I won it in a heavily contested straight sets match but it really shouldn't have even been close. The opponent was a serve and volley guy and had almost no winners. Everything was either a winner by me or an unforced error. The next match was against Nadal and I lost the first set 1-6, won the 2nd set 7-6 in a tiebreaker, and lost the final set in a tie breaker. I was pissed off because I had outplayed Nadal, but again, everything was a winner or unforced error and Nadal finished with 4 unforced errors to my 22.

So my next match is against Andy Murray, and this is where it just got ridiculous. All those impossible angle shots that the update fixed, Murray was suddenly able to hit with ease. Any open court shot I had was an unforced error even when I timed the release correctly and was only tapping the button. Murray had 1 unforced error and was making impossible angle shots the entire match, while my player is now rank 20 and his ratings are just as good as Murray's and none of this is possible for my player. I'm really heated about this. I'm still playing on the hardest difficulty in the game, but I don't want to turn it down because I know it will be too easy on the next level down.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »