Home
Madden 09 News Post

EA Sports have updated their Madden NFL 09 blog with tackling engine details and a video clip.

Quote:
"One of our primary pet-peeves in Madden NFL has been in the responsiveness of tackling. We wanted to feel like as a ballcarrier or defender you are always in more control. The feeling of delay before a tackle started really took away from responsiveness. Also the "suction" you get when being pulled into tackles, well, sucks. We found that the cause of the delay was searching through our 300 and some odd tackles for one that "matched" the current scenario as close as we can, and while this may only take 1/10th to 1/4th of second, I found that delay un-acceptable. So we invented a whole new way to tackle this year."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 sj3981 @ 05/16/08 04:17 AM
The video is impressive, relatively speaking, when compared to any of EA's next gen efforts. And until EA develops a new tackling/physics engine (ie.,euphoria, etc.), we wont see true gang tackling like LB's Boley/Hall example. This is disappointing because all signs point to the fact that this engine will be around for the duration of this generation. That said, the graphics have that WOW effect in regards to the actual player models and I like the new proportions for the players. Its now more along the lines of last generation.

I think its hard to sit here and compare Madden's physics/ tackling engine to other sports games, such as FIFA, because the player contact and interaction is significantly smaller in a sport like soccer as opposed to football or hockey, were hitting is a major aspect of the sport. Not trying to provide excuses for EA here, but developing an effective engine for a football game seems like a much taller order then making one for a soccer game.

# 182 AJ21476 @ 05/16/08 06:21 AM
I dont even think the problem with the game is tackling or Qb play or even glitches. I feel inorder to get the game to be realistic, step 1 MUST be the O line and D line play. Until that is fixed in madden, this game will NEVER be sim.

# 183 Harlemal @ 05/16/08 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdeal28
shut da hell up man. just because we like what we see and u dont, doesnt make us "easily swayed". me and millions of others will u buy it. since u dont like it. dont buy it. spare us the grumble u and others always come on these madden boards to preach.

every damn thread is the same thing. go play the other games u have in ur library and leave madden alone.
Best post in this thread.

# 184 Matt Diesel @ 05/16/08 09:43 AM
Few negatives:

1) The Bengal LB standing around when the tackle is happening right next to him.

2) The CB for GB tries to tackle the ball runner by running straight at him and grabbing his shoulders.

3) The jump forward forearm tackle is ******** and is still seen a lot

4) So many 1-1 open field tackles, why? Where is the D swarming to the ball?

However, the animations do look more fluid which I guess was the point of this demo.

# 185 RogueHominid @ 05/16/08 10:24 AM
Wow. Coming from a 2k fanboy, I'm amazed. That looked phenomenal.

# 186 UNC_Pete @ 05/16/08 05:34 PM
Every year these videos look real good..I'll wait to see an actual gameplay vid..

# 187 mizzta21 @ 05/16/08 06:06 PM
lets hope i fork over 60 bucks this year cuz ive been waiting for a good football game from them

# 188 Ceothachosen1 @ 05/16/08 06:37 PM
looks great

# 189 LIGHTNING @ 05/17/08 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I agree with you that Madden's come a long way since 06, and I'm already resigned to the fact that we are not going to see Madden make any major changes to the current/last gen gameplay engine being used. The reality is, if they ever decide to make such a change, it probably won't be until the next gen.

Someone on these forums mentioned a 2-3 year plan for purchasing Madden/NCAA, etc. and I'm starting to think that that's a great idea. Heck, I'm still playing NCAA '06 on PS2 because, so far I haven't been happy with any of the football games released on 360/PS3.

To me, that video was just another hype video to show off some of the new tackles, etc. I did see more wrap-up type tackles, but it came from an edited video, so I'll take that with a grain of salt because that still could be the exception, and not the norm. All that being said, the game is looking better than ever, relatively speaking.

I suggested to another poster to wait 2 or 3 years before purchasing the next sports game especially Madden. It makes a lot of sense because you will save some money for other more important things.

# 190 TLizChosen @ 05/17/08 08:37 AM
Looks real good...

# 191 TLizChosen @ 05/17/08 08:38 AM
Looks real good...

# 192 blackngoldfan @ 05/17/08 12:23 PM
I understand that they are showcasing the tackling engine, but I would like them to show some of the hits from the camera angles that we actually play in to get a better feel of how it's gonna look in-game.

# 193 DaveDQ @ 05/17/08 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
I thought the point of forums was to have discussions
The point of forums is to offer people an opportunity to be stubborn, unrealistic, hold grudges, displace their anger, and all sorts of other things they don't do in the day to day life.

We don't like to admit that, but it many cases it's very true.

# 194 blackngoldfan @ 05/17/08 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
The point of forums is to offer people an opportunity to be stubborn, unrealistic, hold grudges, displace their anger, and all sorts of other things they don't do in the day to day life.

(Translation) Forums allow the typical average Joe to become a "CYBER-THUG" or "E-GANGSTA"

# 195 countryboy @ 05/17/08 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
I understand that they are showcasing the tackling engine, but I would like them to show some of the hits from the camera angles that we actually play in to get a better feel of how it's gonna look in-game.
couldn't agree more.

# 196 Qb @ 05/19/08 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell

Quote:
(Translation) Forums allow the typical average Joe to become a "CYBER-THUG" or "E-GANGSTA"
Well said on both counts.

I'm really hoping that this game is better and will actually be something that I want to play. Madden used to be the game to play with your friends and now with the advent of online play, it just hurts that much more that this series has continually disappointed on the next platform. While I don't doubt that EA is making an earnest effort to improve the game, I also highly doubt that they will be able to appease the varied tastes of such a highly diverse group of gamers.

Back to the topic, I'm actually not impressed at all with the video. Sure it looks good from a graphics/animation standpoint, but it still represents the same tackling style as past years. If running backs are going to have new abilities to break out of tackles, the defense needs to have new abilities to make tackles to counteract them. That ability shouldn't be 'sick' hit-stick tackles, it should be allowing multiple defensive players to swarm the ball carrier. What makes a good run defense in the NFL is pursuit to get men to the ball, as you're going to be infinitely more successful with multiple tacklers than one.

I'm fine with the one-on-one tackling system in Madden, as from the look of the video there are some nice-looking animations and interactions going on there. However, 1v1 tackling has to be supplemented with pursuit and swarming of the ball carrier by the defense. If a back gets wrapped up and wiggles out of the tackle 5 yards from scrimmage by a CB, he shouldn't have acres of space waiting for him, there should a safety, a 2 LBs and DE there or at least trying to get there...

# 197 Skyboxer @ 05/19/08 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
it's just a tired arguement that's played out is all..
That's EA's fault though.....

I understand the frustration of hearing the same thing every year but that's on EA not the gamer. I myself have accepted that it's Madden. For good or bad, it is what it is.
Lots of people are still thinking we'll see drastic changes and frankly I don't think we'll ever see it. We always hear the "Let them know or there won't be improvements!". In this case though we've let them know for a good while and I don't think they agree on most issues. They want a game that appeals to a certain group of people. That's why we'll never see any system that hurts the 20 yard drop back players.

At this point people have to understand that It's Madden Football. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Just my .02.

# 198 Pared @ 05/19/08 09:35 AM
Quote:
I'm sure we'll get videos from the usual media outlets. It doesn't make sense if you're EA to showcase your work from the default camera angle especially if the game is incomplete.

# 199 blackngoldfan @ 05/19/08 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
I'm sure we'll get videos from the usual media outlets. It doesn't make sense if you're EA to showcase your work from the default camera angle especially if the game is incomplete.
Well, they gave us the Pats/Giants video. They don't have to show the whole play from snap. Just show the ballcarrier before the tackle. It shouldn't be that hard to do with replay.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.