Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers franchise mode improvements.

Quote:
"This week I wanted to give you an update on what we’re addressing in franchise mode this year. We’re probably going to have a few blogs about franchise mode from now until August, so I’m just going to touch on a couple of things we’ve been working on since I joined the team.

One thing we learned on NFL Head Coach ’09 was that in order to have a great franchise mode, you need a solid base. You wouldn’t put a 2nd or 3rd addition on your house if the foundation is crumbling, right?

Since our ‘foundation’ is the logic behind every decision made in franchise mode, we knew we really wanted to address that foundation before anything else major was applied. I know some folks may be expecting the entire NFL Head Coach ’09 game to be dropped into Madden this year, but that’s not going to happen. We have a lot of work to do and it’s going to take us some time to start with the core of franchise mode and take it where we all want it to be.

I’ll break down some of the problems we’ve encountered so far and talk about how we’re addressing them below."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 lightning_78 @ 04/06/09 06:30 PM
Link please?

# 2 Hotlanta @ 04/06/09 06:31 PM

# 3 dasg @ 04/06/09 06:33 PM

# 4 adembroski @ 04/06/09 06:35 PM
Very basic issue, but addressing critical ones. It's all about tuning... something EA was very bad at in earlier years.

Quote:
Prior to that, I was the ‘Franchise Designer’ on Madden 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 for PS2 and Xbox.
I'm shocked he admits that. Hopefully he was just the designer and not the tuner.

# 5 sportzbro @ 04/06/09 06:35 PM
alright yes!!

# 6 CW McGraw @ 04/06/09 06:39 PM
*Pre-orders Madden 2010*

Thanks guys.

# 7 RGiles36 @ 04/06/09 06:39 PM
(Waits for the shock and disappointment of the "inpatients" who were eagerly ancticipating something major)

# 8 lightning_78 @ 04/06/09 06:40 PM
Excellent info, but I do have a slight worry over one aspect of the progression.

I don't want guys to regress quickly just because they reach a certain age. Look at guys like Driver and Tiki Barber who had their best seasons near the end of their careers (Driver is 34 and still going strong) so I hope there are guys that never progress much early in their career but suddenly reach a point in their career where they seem to actually "understand" the aspects of the game and have their best years.

# 9 KANE699 @ 04/06/09 06:41 PM
"The “potential” rating is another sort of ‘hidden’ addition that we are changing up this year to impact progression (and Franchise mode overall). Every player in the game has a potential rating that he cannot exceed (a la NFL Head Coach 09). This year, we’re actually exposing that rating so you’ll have an idea why your player is not progressing - typically a situation where his potential is maxed out. Exposing this rating also help quite a bit in making personnel decisions when contracts are up. One key detail here is that you’ll only see potential for players on your own team. CPU player potentials will be hidden."

I know a lot of people wanted to see this make it into madden.

# 10 br329 @ 04/06/09 06:41 PM
Sounds great! The Progression stuff is really going to make an impact this year. And I find it interesting they added busts into the game. I'm really getting excited for Madden 10.

# 11 johnnyg713 @ 04/06/09 06:42 PM
i think everyone needs to remember that right now these are the minor improvements. Franchise is a major feature in madden and now isn't the time to announce major improvements within the game mode. So i wouldnt expect anything major until later. I hope anyways...

# 12 roadman @ 04/06/09 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
Very underwhelming. They posted things that absolutely had to be fixed in the first place, and didn't mention anything about elements we were all looking forward to.

Repeat of 09 this year in franchise. Polish what's already in there and skip over new additions.
Sorry, the big guns haven't been announced, yet.

It's all in my sig.

# 13 SeventhWard @ 04/06/09 06:43 PM
That was a good read. Whoever was in charge of assembling this team of devs for Madden NFL 10 - kudos to you.

Passion sells.

-SeventhWard

# 14 lightning_78 @ 04/06/09 06:43 PM
As far as the potential ratings go, I think it would be nice if you hired a new coach (like a Rex Ryan or Todd Haley) and when they join your staff you should be able to see the potential ratings of the players those guys used to work with. Like we should be able to see the Ravens defensive personnel and the Card's offense potential ratings. Not the exact rating, just let's say have the rating 5 points off either way...

# 15 Lava @ 04/06/09 06:44 PM
If EA nails the basics this year, I will be thrilled. They don't need to have a wide variety of gimmicks like relocation and changing concession prices to make Franchise fun again for me.

It looks like they're on the right track, great blog.

# 16 splff3000 @ 04/06/09 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
Very underwhelming. They posted things that absolutely had to be fixed in the first place, and didn't mention anything about elements we were all looking forward to.

Repeat of 09 this year in franchise. Polish what's already in there and skip over new additions.
What?? What are you talking about? Did you read the same blog I did? They're basically reworking everything. This was just the beginning. Did you see this?

Quote:
Next time I’ll talk about trade logic, hall of fame logic, regular season free agency, salary cap tuning, coach boosts and tons of other franchise stuff.

# 17 OttoMann @ 04/06/09 06:45 PM
"One nice addition that we were able to take from Head Coach was how we handle the rookies in the Draft. We now create every rookie by hand, just like you saw in NFL Head Coach ’09. You might even see a few famous rookies make a re-appearance from those drafts."

Jack English FTW
As someone who only plays franchise this blog excites me very much. I will now be pre ordering Madden 10

# 18 AndyBernard @ 04/06/09 06:45 PM
Quote:
In addition, we also have the ability to determine where a player SHOULD be drafted and what his potential is. So we can create busts and sleepers just using those systems. Drafting a player in the top 10 will no longer guarantee that he is a great player in Madden NFL 10. Unless you do some scouting (like the real teams do), you might just pick up this year’s Vernon Gholston. On the flip side, you might also find the next Tom Brady or Marques Colston in later rounds. One piece of advice…don’t be enamored with workout warriors. Running a 4.2 forty or benching a small concrete block does not automatically make you a good football player.
The big thing we’re working on as we speak is the Draft logic. I promise you…you will not see the Colts take a QB in the first round and then in the 3rd, 5th, etc. These type of logic tweaks are happening across the board and the draft is no different.

prob Andys favorite part

only things Andy didn't like, the "if a team can't afford a player, he'll become a FA.. teams should restructure/cut others to keep certain players and not knowing computer players potential.. Teams in real life know about players potential on other teams, and it could be huge factor in a trade

# 19 thudias @ 04/06/09 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
I loved it, and I agree they need a good base first.

Only thing I didnt really like was hearing about the progression. It said when a player does well, he can go up to 10 points higher. Well, thats been a problem in the past, for SB teams for instance, when the entire starting roster makes ridiculous improvements.

Plus, they said about "RBs going downhill at warp speed" once they turn 30. I agree there should be regression, but I think it should vary from player to player. There are some RBs that still play well at 30, 31.

Not saying the system will be broken, just didnt love how it sounded.

Also, I really hope they change it so that players at all positions dont retire at the same age.
Not many..

# 20 splff3000 @ 04/06/09 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_78
Excellent info, but I do have a slight worry over one aspect of the progression.

I don't want guys to regress quickly just because they reach a certain age. Look at guys like Driver and Tiki Barber who had their best seasons near the end of their careers (Driver is 34 and still going strong) so I hope there are guys that never progress much early in their career but suddenly reach a point in their career where they seem to actually "understand" the aspects of the game and have their best years.
Yeah. I'm a little worried about this myself. Hopefully this doesn't apply to everyone.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.