Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"The first time you hit the court in NBA 2K10, something might look a bit different. Yes, you'll notice things like the improved player likenesses, including animated faces, better skin textures, and greater lighting effects. But you might also notice a sense of space on the hardwood that simply wasn't present in previous iterations. As developers put it to me, that's because the proportions between player size and the floor had gotten a bit out of whack in older games, resulting in players that were slightly larger than in real life. The team took a look at all of the player models in NBA 2K10 and made size adjustments across the board, with the result of having a slightly more open feel to the play on the court.

Of course, correcting player proportions is just one of the issues addressed in this year's game. As gameplay producer Rob Jones told me, the team wanted to address animations in a comprehensive way this year. To that end, Jones said his mo-cap team captured something in the realm of 9,000 animations during the mo-cap sessions for 2K10. And while not all of those animations were entered into this year's game, a good chunk have either replaced older animations or been added to the game. As he put it, if an animation is pre-NBA 2K9, it had less than a 50 percent chance of making it into NBA 2K10. Part of that new animation philosophy had to do with providing further definition between players. Naturally, a point guard will have access to a different set of moves than a massive center, but developers didn't stop there. They also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 infam0us @ 08/06/09 02:04 AM
Good point heavenly touch, I hate it when Zach Randolph comes from weak side and blocks a shot i attempted.

# 142 Tha_Kid @ 08/06/09 02:07 AM
The 82Games relationship needs to be expanded upon as far as how it works. The Live DNA and how it is integrated into every part of the game is one of the main reasons i've been leaning towards 10. Basically it took the guesswork out of ratings/tendencies and after seeing 2k's guesswork last year it needed a change. I want to know if they will update according to 82games throughout the season ala Live or if the 2K Insider still has a hand in it.

Haven't read the preview yet but from owning both games last year, I felt despite its lack of animations, Live really had 2K beat in two areas that mattered to me: The ratings & tendencies from a quality source & the whole playcalling system (how they are run, 2nd/3rd options, dynamically changing depending on who is in the game, etc). 2K had Live beat in terms of player individuality and overall feel.

I want to hear more about 82games and I want to see if they've worked out a better playcall system. Those were two major areas i thought needed addressing.

Demos can't get here soon enough.

# 143 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/06/09 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Good point heavenly touch, I hate it when Zach Randolph comes from weak side and blocks a shot i attempted.
2k8 seemed to have this down really well.

Another thing to add is how when the defense converges, you can make magical passes through the defenders' bodies all the way to the 3 point line; yet when you make a simple side to side pass, it will randomly hit a players back who sped up like a gazelle to get there. The entire experience just played extremely arcadish, having a ton of great animations really made up for the extremely weak gameplay experience.

# 144 AtlantaFalconFan @ 08/06/09 02:11 AM
wow so impressed by nba2k10 i love what i was reading i cant believe it madden and nba2k might be good this year!!!!!!

# 145 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/06/09 02:12 AM
Anyone else feel that there should be no such thing as sliders?

call me crazy, but I for one wouldn't mind having a game straight out of the box which already plays 'sim' without me having to adjust a bunch of crud to get it there. Sliders just tell me they don't think they got it right and you should 'enhance' your gaming experience. I don't want to guess what types of block rating is consistent or realistic in comparison to the NBA in a video game someone else made. To my recollection, no other sports games have this.

# 146 Shakedowncapo @ 08/06/09 02:13 AM
That should be Doug Collins doing this new "commentary"

Why doug??

WHY?!

# 147 Brooklynnets24 @ 08/06/09 02:16 AM
hmm maybe 2k9 was a beta for 2k10 and i mean this comment in a good way everything i read sounded amazing one thing that continues to piss me off is jerseys not actually touching the shoulders

# 148 TheSolutionKMH @ 08/06/09 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch

call me crazy, but I for one wouldn't mind having a game straight out of the box which already plays 'sim' without me having to adjust a bunch of crud to get it there. Sliders just tell me they don't think they got it right and you should 'enhance' your gaming experience. I don't want to guess what types of block rating is consistent or realistic in comparison to the NBA in a video game someone else made. To my recollection, no other sports games have this.
thats what makes 2k special, you can make the NBA your way and thats why the menu option is called MY NBA. different strokes for different folks but 2k has the best basketball engine to date, it just looks beautiful when you playing and its the best representation of the NBA.

# 149 infam0us @ 08/06/09 02:19 AM
Do you guys even notice that the jerseys are hanging during actual gameplay? I really never noticed until I came here and people pointed that out.

I'm just happy that it looks like the air generics are gone.

# 150 Brooklynnets24 @ 08/06/09 02:29 AM
another thing they need to fix is intentional fouls. I know im not the only one who has got screwed by this but when u try to foul near the end of games to your players just slowly jog to the ball handler and so the clock just runs down and you just get screwed of a comeback

# 151 TheUndisputedKingLBJ @ 08/06/09 02:35 AM
looks decent but is it just me .. or in the first Wade picture is his thumb on his right hand inside of the basketball? ..
btw Wade's player model was rather dissappointing ..
.. oh oh OH .. and they have almost everybody's face visible to some degree
(Wade, Bryant, Shaq) .. but WHERE IN DAVID STERN'S NAME IS LEBRON?!? (minus the rosin picture)

# 152 Tha_Kid @ 08/06/09 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch

One person's sim isn't the next person's sim. It's a baseless stance to assume that the default sliders aren't already tuned to be what they consider sim. The sliders are an additional option since you can't please everyone. Honestly, for the last couple years i've found that the game always played best with the default sliders and that slider sets were a placebo. To each his own.

After reading the preview, I still want to know:
  • Will the PC version will have online play (Games for Windows Live) so PC gamers can get in leagues with 360 gamers
  • How has the playcalling system been addressed?

# 153 TheUndisputedKingLBJ @ 08/06/09 02:42 AM
i have always wondered one question .. on XBL 2k9 game's you are not able to trashtalk your opponent via headset right?
i do hope that feature is added if it already isn't .. and if it is somebody tell me how ..

# 154 jmood88 @ 08/06/09 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndisputedKingLBJ
looks decent but is it just me .. or in the first Wade picture is his thumb on his right hand inside of the basketball? ..
btw Wade's player model was rather dissappointing ..
.. oh oh OH .. and they have almost everybody's face visible to some degree
(Wade, Bryant, Shaq) .. but WHERE IN DAVID STERN'S NAME IS LEBRON?!? (minus the rosin picture)
Why is it so important for you to see Lebron?

# 155 KaptnKirk12 @ 08/06/09 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndisputedKingLBJ
i have always wondered one question .. on XBL 2k9 game's you are not able to trashtalk your opponent via headset right?
i do hope that feature is added if it already isn't .. and if it is somebody tell me how ..
You can use a headset online. It's no different than any other game.

# 156 VindicatorZ @ 08/06/09 03:02 AM
Yeah I do not like Clark Kellog's voice at all for this game. His voice does not resonate "NBA" when I hear it. But Gamespot says its much improved so I'm hopeful the commentary will be great.

I think the one thing I truly want out of this year is for them to really bring up the PRESENTATION. We need individual crowd chants for every arena. What's so hard about that? Things like DEEEETROOOOIIT BASKETBALL they have done, but not for other arenas. The Miami Heat got especially snuffed last year with NO MASCOT (WHERE THE **** IS BURNIE?) and no crowd chanting. Other teams have chants like "Lets Go Hornets Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap" The Miami Heat is straight up "LETS GO HEAT! LETS GO HEAT!" Why can't they capture that crowd audio? It makes the game so much more immersive. NBA Live is doing playoff crowds this year, with the fans wearing colors and stuff, I hope 2k does that also.

Also, they need to license some normal music to be played inside the arenas. The cool indie music is cool for the menus, but those songs would never be played at a real game. They need songs like Dropkick Murphy "Shippin up to Boston" for the Celtics fight song, Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" etc. Things that you would normally hear during a timeout. These little details go a long way toward creating a realistic experience.

And when the players are coming out with 15 seconds left in the 4th, down by 1....the announcer should really rile up the crowd with "STAND UP AND MAKE SOME NOISE" that goes into a crowd chant. As a Miami Heat fan, this is the ultimate example of what I want to be emulated. (They can have the PA announcer mimick this)

youtube.com/watch?v=94-oV...eature=related

# 157 TheUndisputedKingLBJ @ 08/06/09 03:05 AM
... oh thanks Kaptn
and what do you mean why .. lmao?
he was last year's league MVP and his team had the best record in the NBA .. and plus in 2k9 his player model was mediocre .. and if they really are going to accurately portray body sizes .. then LeBron and Dwight better be tanks .. of course .. proportiionally sized tanks .. lmao

# 158 HiTEqMETHOD @ 08/06/09 03:08 AM
@ VindicatorZ

DJ Irie gets the AAA bumping!!! Feel like I'm at a party whenever I go to a Heat game.

TWO MINUTES! DOS MINUTOS!

# 159 TheUndisputedKingLBJ @ 08/06/09 03:09 AM
lmao yeah dude they better make the atmosphere much more livelier .. it was funny how in 2k9 sometimes even before you did a windmill slam the announcers would have announced it while the player is in his gather .. lmaoo

# 160 NELL86 @ 08/06/09 03:12 AM
lol who cares about the d league they are nba rejects i dont want to play with the minor league weak.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.