Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"The first time you hit the court in NBA 2K10, something might look a bit different. Yes, you'll notice things like the improved player likenesses, including animated faces, better skin textures, and greater lighting effects. But you might also notice a sense of space on the hardwood that simply wasn't present in previous iterations. As developers put it to me, that's because the proportions between player size and the floor had gotten a bit out of whack in older games, resulting in players that were slightly larger than in real life. The team took a look at all of the player models in NBA 2K10 and made size adjustments across the board, with the result of having a slightly more open feel to the play on the court.

Of course, correcting player proportions is just one of the issues addressed in this year's game. As gameplay producer Rob Jones told me, the team wanted to address animations in a comprehensive way this year. To that end, Jones said his mo-cap team captured something in the realm of 9,000 animations during the mo-cap sessions for 2K10. And while not all of those animations were entered into this year's game, a good chunk have either replaced older animations or been added to the game. As he put it, if an animation is pre-NBA 2K9, it had less than a 50 percent chance of making it into NBA 2K10. Part of that new animation philosophy had to do with providing further definition between players. Naturally, a point guard will have access to a different set of moves than a massive center, but developers didn't stop there. They also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 DC @ 08/05/09 10:43 PM
The graphics look the same as 2K9 to me. But I don't care, I am not a graphical dude like my man BeyondShadows

# 82 RayDog253 @ 08/05/09 10:45 PM
The spacing, and more control in the post is what got me excited.

# 83 noshun @ 08/05/09 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
I do apperciate the awesome "early-look" at the game, especially when their giving concrete info and not long standing "promises."
This right here should sum it up for some people. The added additions give so much more authenticity to the game. People have been asking for draft classes and they added it along with both the D-League and Summer league.
Now all we need is a few vids which should quell some ppl over. Hopefully they delve more into issues that were fixed aside from spacing, which I think they will address.
This all sound really great to me, and I look forward to when this drops futher info as drop date approaches.

# 84 RayDog253 @ 08/05/09 10:49 PM
O' the create your own draft class is a cool feature i'll prolly use the most.

# 85 TMagic @ 08/05/09 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
Hopefully that means 2K Insider got a pink slip

You and your beef with the Insider.

# 86 MelMan1486 @ 08/05/09 10:50 PM
GREAT INFO... looks like it's going to be a good year with Madden 10 and Nba 2k10, then THE SHOW (but I'm getting ahead of myself because I'm still enjoying 09!)

# 87 elev8rmuzik @ 08/05/09 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic

You and your beef for the Insider.
Beef with an Avatar

# 88 WaddupCouzin @ 08/05/09 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elev8rmuzik
Beef with an Avatar
LMAO!

# 89 HMcCoy @ 08/05/09 11:05 PM
I love everything i've read so far, especially the 82games stuff.

Im getting both this year though, and my playing time (and e-devotion) will go to whichever has the most subtle or refined rubber band logic. Currently, 2K's is way too predictable, and I really can't take it anymore. I need release from the CPU's "Keep scores close" engine. Mimicking the up and down flow of an NBA game is necessary in some form, but it shouldn't kick in in such obvious, score-based situations.

Right now, if there isn't a HUGE disparity in playing style (cheeser/exploiter vs. non-cheeser/exploiter) or an unbalanced difficulty level in single player...IE playing a level that's too easy (always crush the CPU) or too hard for you (always get crushed)...the vast majority of on and offline games come down to a couple 10-12 pt leads being exchanged, which inexorably work their way down to a 1-2 possession game at the end. Without fail. No matter how ridiculous the circumstances have to be to get it there...scrubs suddenly blocking dunks...superstars missing several uncontested bunnies...suddenly getting bounced backwards three feet by even the weakest defenders...speed cheats...I'm fully done with all that crap.

Whichever game can capture the flow, without the heavy handed, easily recognizable comeback code, will have my heart in '10.

# 90 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/05/09 11:06 PM
Damn, this definitely has me excited for this to come out. All I need now is some actual gameplay videos and im good. Here's just a few things I have to say about the article:

Quote:
If you're playing a crucial game against a rival, for example, and both teams are vying for a play-off spot, a good chunk of that game's commentary--at least in the beginning of the game--will focus on the rivalry, the matchup records between the two teams, and the play-off ramifications for winning and losing
Hopefully this is time specific whereas you would only hear this going on for games that would occur in like late March to the end of the season and not something you'd hear if you were playing against a team who you're tied with in the middle of January or December.

Quote:
You'll start off either as a drafted player or as a walk-on to a team's summer circuit games. In the summer league, your goal will be to impress the scouts in the hopes of getting an invite to a team's training camp
Sounds good so far. Hopefully it isn't something where even if you play like crap, you'd still get an invite to training camp but instead, maybe one of the D-League teams would pick you up(unless you have to get picked by a team who would then send you down to the D-League)thus making you have to actually earn a roster spot or an invite.

Quote:
In training camp, you'll have five games to compete in, and after each game, someone will be cut. The goal, obviously, is to make sure you're left standing after the roster trimming is finished, but even if you don't make a spot on the NBA roster, your season isn't over. If you're cut, you'll be sent to the NBA's Development League (or D-League).
I guess this answers my previous statement I made regarding this lol.

Quote:
Your time in the D-League will be spent trying to get more playing time--mainly by making the most of the minutes you do get (using a handy simulation feature, you can fast-forward to the point in the game when you actually do get on the floor, however).
I wonder if we'll have the option to either play the games ourselves or let the computer play the game and then wait for your created player to enter the game before allowing you to actually get involved in the game?

[QUOTEThey also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing.][/quote]
Definitely glad to hear this.

Quote:
This year, the team went out and partnered up with the NBA scouting service 82Games.com
How long before people start questioning 82games and say they're not accurate either?

Quote:
On the other side of the ball, if you're facing up against Paul Pierce controlled by the AI, you'll know his tendency will be either to push in and shoot or try a pro step move. And, depending on your position on the floor, you'll know how to try to stop him.
Now by this, do they mean that he'll pull up and try to hit the same moves everytime or in a pattern or whatever or that he'll switch up his moves and that way you're getting different looks/moves EVERY time unless he's killing you with a certain move and you can't stop it?

Quote:
The right trigger is also used for sprinting, but because turbo has been abused in the past (especially online, where you can essentially sprint endlessly), the developers are looking to make turbo more of a commodity than ever before. As a result, when sprinting, you'll notice your turbo meter depleting more rapidly than before, and if you use up your turbo completely, your player's energy will drain dramatically if you continue to sprint.
THANK YOU 2K!!!

# 91 Furq @ 08/05/09 11:08 PM
One thing that really needs to be in NBA games is that strong side zone defense that some of the better defensive teams play

They box the other teams best offensive players into certain areas on the floor, and then quickly rotate to the three point shooter if the ball gets passed to the other side of the perimeter

As I've said in other threads, NBA games so far have only focused on individual defense and aside from the AI picking off passes there hasn't been much team D

# 92 Bornindamecca @ 08/05/09 11:08 PM
Looks like they are addressing most of the major issues. Great article.

Will I be spending 120 bucks on basketball this year?

# 93 jmood88 @ 08/05/09 11:11 PM
I just found an interview with Rob Jones and this should make DC happy:
Quote:
We got overwhelmingly positive feedback from the fans regarding the 2K Insider so for this year we have his expanded his role and have assigned him a special project that I can't talk about at this time. We feel that our guy is the best in the business when it comes to ratings and everyone will be very excited once we are able to announce what he's working on.
http://au.gamespot.com/spk,orts/blog...pdates;title;1

# 94 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/05/09 11:12 PM
Damn! This is even harder for me to decide now! Both games (Live & 2k 10s) look very promising right now...

I need gameplay vidoes for both games, then I can decide... and oh yeah, the DEMO.

# 95 HMcCoy @ 08/05/09 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furq
One thing that really needs to be in NBA games is that strong side zone defense that some of the better defensive teams play

They box the other teams best offensive players into certain areas on the floor, and then quickly rotate to the three point shooter if the ball gets passed to the other side of the perimeter

As I've said in other threads, NBA games so far have only focused on individual defense and aside from the AI picking off passes there hasn't been much team D
This.

Off ball defense and awareness def needs some attention.

# 96 fLyGuY JuSa3 @ 08/05/09 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03
Damn! This is even harder for me to decide now! Both games (Live & 2k 10s) look very promising right now...

I need gameplay vidoes for both games, then I can decide... and oh yeah, the DEMO.
Get Both!
there both gonna be great.....( I HOPE)

# 97 Rell826 @ 08/05/09 11:16 PM
Forget all of that extra stuff, fix the damn gameplay and online.

# 98 akiracy @ 08/05/09 11:17 PM
i hope they are using the "zero stitch commentary" tech from mlb 2k9

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/no...-mlb-2k9/46029

# 99 DC @ 08/05/09 11:20 PM
Quote:
We got overwhelmingly positive feedback from the fans regarding the 2K Insider so for this year we have his expanded his role and have assigned him a special project that I can't talk about at this time. We feel that our guy is the best in the business when it comes to ratings and everyone will be very excited once we are able to announce what he's working on.
Yea just give the dude more responsibilities. WHY? I really think 2K did thise to upset me for crying about their dumb dunks for all of these years. It is ok, everyone will suffer. Not just me.

I am buying Live if this dude is in charge of rosters. I put my life on it

# 100 elev8rmuzik @ 08/05/09 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
I am buying Live if this dude is in charge of rosters. I put my life on it

Not trying to go at you at all, but that is mad funny to me

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.