Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"The first time you hit the court in NBA 2K10, something might look a bit different. Yes, you'll notice things like the improved player likenesses, including animated faces, better skin textures, and greater lighting effects. But you might also notice a sense of space on the hardwood that simply wasn't present in previous iterations. As developers put it to me, that's because the proportions between player size and the floor had gotten a bit out of whack in older games, resulting in players that were slightly larger than in real life. The team took a look at all of the player models in NBA 2K10 and made size adjustments across the board, with the result of having a slightly more open feel to the play on the court.

Of course, correcting player proportions is just one of the issues addressed in this year's game. As gameplay producer Rob Jones told me, the team wanted to address animations in a comprehensive way this year. To that end, Jones said his mo-cap team captured something in the realm of 9,000 animations during the mo-cap sessions for 2K10. And while not all of those animations were entered into this year's game, a good chunk have either replaced older animations or been added to the game. As he put it, if an animation is pre-NBA 2K9, it had less than a 50 percent chance of making it into NBA 2K10. Part of that new animation philosophy had to do with providing further definition between players. Naturally, a point guard will have access to a different set of moves than a massive center, but developers didn't stop there. They also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 fLyGuY JuSa3 @ 08/05/09 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Hey, where is the Ref-A-Game mode??? LMAO!
lmao....2k looks nice so far.
im getting both live and 2k

# 62 jmood88 @ 08/05/09 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Hey, where is the Ref-A-Game mode??? LMAO!
lol where is the guy who made up that rumor?

# 63 chrome381 @ 08/05/09 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
This is huge news for me, I wasn't even going to consider 2K10 unless this issue was addressed and it's impressive that it's mentioned in the very first news about the game. Looks like I'll be getting both NBA games this year.
Unfortunately im probably going to have to do the same as well i wont be able to let my self miss out on this new career mode and they fixed the spacing . Oh well maybe this year i wont regret shelling out $120 bucks.

# 64 youvalss @ 08/05/09 09:59 PM
I just need the system requirements now. Please, 2K guys, let us know about it...

# 65 DC @ 08/05/09 10:01 PM
Quote:
This year, the team went out and partnered up with the NBA scouting service 82Games.com to provide detailed breakdowns on every team and every player in the league. The result is a better and more detailed understanding of how a player reacts at any point on the floor, with answers to such questions as, "Where does a player typically like to get the ball?" "When does he spot up?" "When does he post up?" The result, on the offensive side, is that players familiar with their team's individual tendencies will know how to best utilize them and where. On the other side of the ball, if you're facing up against Paul Pierce controlled by the AI, you'll know his tendency will be either to push in and shoot or try a pro step move. And, depending on your position on the floor, you'll know how to try to stop him.
Hopefully that means 2K Insider got a pink slip

# 66 J_Posse @ 08/05/09 10:05 PM
Big props to 2K Sports and VC for "listening," while not really needing to interact, to their (sometimes) whiny community. Game looks like it's shaping up well, and hopefully strides have been made with the Defensive A.I., offensive playbooks and alike.

# 67 in mid air @ 08/05/09 10:09 PM
I was already gonna get 2k10 but now I cant wait. Good job 2K! Hopefully like the article said there is better court spacing, I could barely isolate in 2K9.

# 68 tehova @ 08/05/09 10:11 PM
2k does know that if the D-League isnt fully playable people are goin to complain right

*might as well put it in the wishlist*

# 69 chrome381 @ 08/05/09 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
Hopefully that means 2K Insider got a pink slip
Naa we need his player rating expertise but on a serious note the dudes probably still gonna do player ratings since it sounds like
only player tendency's will be affected by this data.

Maybe they can make him analyze percentages and stats from 82 games, as long as the player ratings aren't made by him using his brain im good.

# 70 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/05/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It seems that they've added just about everything that people asked for.
But I thought they didn't listen to us or communicate with us on these boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I checked in already, lol. Just finished reading and the game is sounding amazing so far. I can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeves. So far it seems like they addressed everything I had a problem with. Still have to see it in motion(gameplay), but it sounds like they've done it once again. I hope they've won me back this year. This looks like it's shaping up to be a GREAT year for hoops fans.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova
2k does know that if the D-League isnt fully playable people are goin to complain right

*might as well put it in the wishlist*
You already know lol

# 71 jmood88 @ 08/05/09 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova
summer league - check
d league - check
draft class - check
career mode - check
player spacing - (alleged check)
82 games tendencies - check

and they say 2k doesnt interact with the community

(this thread is about to do numbers, i wish i could invest in thread stock)

# 72 DC @ 08/05/09 10:17 PM
I mean I would HOPE the D-League is fully playable if they have a CONTRACT with them. I will be disappointed if it isn't. That is like a woman telling me, "You better be happy I am cooking for you," after she undercooked my food. Am I supposed to be happy?

But forreal, I just hope these modes aren't JUST for career mode. I hope I can send players to the D-League during my association/season

# 73 jaguar8311 @ 08/05/09 10:31 PM
Don't care about all these features. As long as 2K as a sim product that is "cheese-proof" online then I will be more than happy.

# 74 jmood88 @ 08/05/09 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar8311
Don't care about all these features. As long as 2K as a sim product that is "cheese-proof" online then I will be more than happy.
You will never be satisfied by a video game then.

# 75 Da_Czar @ 08/05/09 10:34 PM
Very Nice !

# 76 Nodima @ 08/05/09 10:35 PM
I like that they really focused on cleaning up the animations, focusing the commentary on context and adding more signature styles to every player. Any extra depth to Association via My Player better be in Association, not sure I'm going to be big on My Player.

I also wish someone would elaborate on whether these player styles/teammate ratings will have some effect on 5-v-5 games, or just in My Player? They sound like a pretty brilliant way to focus career development in specific areas and separate the role players from the leaders, something 2K really struggles to do 6-10 years down the road.

# 77 J_Posse @ 08/05/09 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
I told folks over and over that 2K had me do a list of what the people wanted in the game. Then another about what needs to be fixed.

I had to go through a lengthy thread and read EVERY Single post and pull out the ones that were reasonable and put them in my report.

They do listen, they just dont communicate much. They also do read the boards as well. So i dont contradict myself. Sometimes people miss things and maybe they missed something on the reports i gave them.
Good, so maybe the knuckle-heads around crying that their "voice isn't heard" can stop with all the dramatics. Also, people needed to realize that not ever company has EA's budget and deep-pockets, so we've have come to grips with 2K's marketing strategy (especially when they do it every year). I do apperciate the awesome "early-look" at the game, especially when their giving concrete info and not long standing "promises."

# 78 jsg @ 08/05/09 10:37 PM
I'm in.

# 79 J_Posse @ 08/05/09 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
ur never going to get cheese proof. Maybe in 10 years, but not now.
Shot, maybe never. It is after all just a computer programmed simulation. If he wants "cheese proof," then stick to watching on TNT and ABC/ESPN, while playing on streetcourts and rec leagues.

# 80 TMagic @ 08/05/09 10:41 PM
Quote:
Then there's a new rating spread, which--similar to how the developers of Madden NFL 10 extended the attribute spread among players in the game--better differentiates among the NBA's elite, good, mediocre, and Brian Scalabrine.
LOL...I wonder if Brian Scalabrine plays 2K?

Quote:
The right trigger is also used for sprinting, but because turbo has been abused in the past (especially online, where you can essentially sprint endlessly), the developers are looking to make turbo more of a commodity than ever before. As a result, when sprinting, you'll notice your turbo meter depleting more rapidly than before, and if you use up your turbo completely, your player's energy will drain dramatically if you continue to sprint.
Huge plus. People have been begging for some type of consequence for constant turbo for the longest.

Graphics didn't really impress at all though. They appear to be the same as last year which isn't necessarily a bad thing and so I'm not really disappointed with that.

Sounds like they've hit all other areas of the game though. I'm still hesitant to believe that the commentary is as good as the article states. I'm hopeful, but we'll see.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.