Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

As promised, we’re back today showing all of you the new dribble moves that you’ll see in NBA LIVE 10 this year. We really wanted to differentiate between players this year. What makes LeBron, LeBron? How about CP3? One of the ways in which we’ve captured this is in their dribbling styles. Let’s start with the new “size up” mechanic in NBA LIVE 10.

The size up is a series of dribbling moves used to breakdown a defender. How am I being guarded? Where is the opening? Answering these questions is the purpose of the size up. Once the ball handler catches the defender biting, he can then perform a go move out of the size up to take advantage of an over-zealous defender or a mismatch. Basically, the size up keeps the defender on his toes! In NBA LIVE 10, you perform these moves via the right trigger from a standstill position. Once you move the left stick (to move the character), you break out of the size up and start moving. One of the great things about this mechanic is that it can be broken out of at any time, or better yet, seamlessly linked into any quickstrike dribbling move using the right stick. There’s no waiting for the animation to play out before going into your next move. If you want to start that next move, you can. In the video below, you can see that we’ve captured authentic player specific size ups. You can really see the difference between LeBron and Kobe’s size up moves.

The size up is step 1 of the dribbling moves this year. Master it and you’ll be shaking your defender (especially a human controlled one) in no time. Just because we have size ups in our game, it doesn’t mean that everyone can do them. If you’re a big man with a weak handle, and you use the right trigger, you’ll do dribble moves, but good luck trying to keep up your dribble as it’ll most likely get stripped or you’ll lose control. This also doesn’t mean that the LeBron and Kobe size ups are money moves either. Again, this is a simple mechanic used to branch into more deceptive, calculated quickstrike moves. Do the size up for too long, and you open a window for the defender to read your next movement and strip the ball from you.

There’s also a couple of things in this video that I want to point out to you. You’ll notice right off the bat that there’s not a lot of off-ball player movement. Don’t worry, we have a TON of that this year. We just called an ISOLATION set in each clip to showcase the one on one matchups that we primarily wanted to capture. And finally, yes, that is a eurostep you see Derrick Rose doing. We’ll have A LOT more on the different ways you can finish at the basket this year in the coming weeks.

I really hope you’re enjoying these gameplay videos guys. There’s a lot of them left, so if you haven’t seen something you want to see yet, don’t worry you will.

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 Pared @ 08/13/09 08:48 PM
There wasn't much to the D collapsing in the paint.

This wasn't an issue last year. Players didn't stick to their man. I don't know why it would be an issue in the video.

# 182 blingballa333 @ 08/13/09 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
There wasn't much to the D collapsing in the paint.

This wasn't an issue last year. Players didn't stick to their man. I don't know why it would be an issue in the video.
You also gotta remember that an Isolation play was called in each sequence, which can cause some of the defenders to stick to their man more than you would like.

# 183 ai2k2 @ 08/13/09 08:51 PM
I see a lot of ppl getting EMBARASSED by Dwyane Wade this yr in Live 10 lmaooo... Great Vid.

# 184 datboimall @ 08/13/09 08:59 PM
good vid an i cant wait for this game

# 185 KChow21 @ 08/13/09 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Hmmm guess I'm the only one that didn't like the help defense.

Even if it was on Pro, why is the defense not collapsing in a situation like that? This was a huge issue many pointed out over and with 2k9... yet it's right there in this same video.

KG just sits back and chills with Luol Deng as someone comes in the paint. Didn't even think of going at ball handler.

Love the dribble moves, but right now, despite the focus of the video, it looks like the offense was improved and the defense may suffer.
Totally agree with this

# 186 blingballa333 @ 08/13/09 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChow21
Totally agree with this
I don't...

# 187 thmst30 @ 08/13/09 09:07 PM
Dribbling animations are so smooth now. Incredibly well done. The crowd reactions were cool. The graphics/lighting of course are great. Only problem I had was that the block attempts still look terrible. I was also going to comment on the complete lack of collision detection but Marcus keeps promising us they will have it.

# 188 BiggD @ 08/13/09 09:09 PM
i guess it depends though... i mean being on pro(easy) IMO you should be able to use and abuse to your liking, i'm sure we can get good results on superstar

# 189 RayDog253 @ 08/13/09 09:09 PM
Wow, that D Rose 2 step was crazy. And I actually like the Kobe "floater", nice vid. Are we still gettin a blog today???

# 190 23 @ 08/13/09 09:12 PM
I have to say this

Thanks Steph for putting up the players that some of the guys have been asking for ala Kobe, Deron...

That entire Rose piece was terrific and you threw the backboard layup in there so we wouldnt start hammering you guys, lol

If we can add some of these individual moves into CAP's then man I cant wait to play as some old school players

Do you guys have the old Sonics jersey's in the game as well? The 1st Shawn Kemp ones?

# 191 The 24th Letter @ 08/13/09 09:19 PM
that Rose piece was nice man....dribbling looks smooth as well

# 192 23 @ 08/13/09 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
I don't...
One reason I dont is because Live 09 for what it was, wasn't a dunkfest full of holes in the defense

Including that again I hate to keep referencing but when Andy tried to dunk the ball he was stopped cold by Shard

If they say they have the run and dunk all game taken care of then I believe it but ill wait to see

Definitely enjoyed the bit of info released today

# 193 blingballa333 @ 08/13/09 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
One reason I dont is because Live 09 for what it was, wasn't a dunkfest full of holes in the defense

Including that again I hate to keep referencing but when Andy tried to dunk the ball he was stopped cold by Shard

If they say they have the run and dunk all game taken care of then I believe it but ill wait to see

Definitely enjoyed the bit of info released today
Exactly, I think people are taking this video ,which was full of set isolation plays and pro difficulty, way to seriously. Saying that the defense may suffer this year because of an instance of no help D in an Isolation play set is stretching it a bit.

# 194 fLyGuY JuSa3 @ 08/13/09 09:34 PM
Man i love the size up and dribble moves.....
I also love how the crowd says"ohhhhhhhh" when D.Rose blew by rondo......damnnnn i cant wait until the demo drops......

# 195 pepp32 @ 08/13/09 09:40 PM
All I can say is well done Steph well done. The Lebron dunk though was a little sketchy....he was driving and the ball kina morphed into his dunking hand...but other than that the video was perfect!

# 196 bran9413 @ 08/13/09 09:44 PM
game is looking nice so far but when are we going to see close ups of our star players

# 197 RayDog253 @ 08/13/09 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepp32
All I can say is well done Steph well done. The Lebron dunk though was a little sketchy....he was driving and the ball kina morphed into his dunking hand...but other than that the video was perfect!
Yeah, compared to his dunk in the Mike Wang video it was kinda awkward looking. In the Mike Wang video the dunk was a perfect transition from dribble to dunk animation....... IMO of course.

edit: The more i watch it, the more i can't wait to do that with Lebron. It grows on you, and it's gonna be fun raising up over the defense for a monster one hand dunk.

# 198 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/13/09 10:07 PM
One thing I didn't like watching was the Chris Paul clear out.

NEVER will you see big men like David West clear out to the 3 point line, they will always stay near by in case Chris Paul misses and there is a need for an offense rebound; or if a defensive player shifts over to help and then the big will make himself available through a cut.

I really didn't like that aspect of the video. Many bigs who would not clear out all the way to the 3 point line did so; not only that, but the bigs of the opposing team would go out all the way to the 3 point line and cover them instead of staying near by for help defense (knowing David West is not a 3 point threat).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZ4rmShHyw

Take this Chris Paul crossover for example. Stojakovic and Mo Pete get ready in the corners, David West comes up high for a screen and will move down towards the basket when Chris Paul makes his move, and the remaining big stays down low.

# 199 Haval93 @ 08/13/09 10:12 PM
The game looks good but I'm still iffy on a couple of things. Hopefully tomorrow Mike's Blog will clear up some things.

# 200 lamoyou318 @ 08/13/09 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch
One thing I didn't like watching was the Chris Paul clear out.

NEVER will you see big men like David West clear out to the 3 point line, they will always stay near by in case Chris Paul misses and there is a need for an offense rebound; or if a defensive player shifts over to help and then the big will make himself available through a cut.

I really didn't like that aspect of the video. Many bigs who would not clear out all the way to the 3 point line did so; not only that, but the bigs of the opposing team would go out all the way to the 3 point line and cover them instead of staying near by for help defense (knowing David West is not a 3 point threat).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZ4rmShHyw

Take this Chris Paul crossover for example. Stojakovic and Mo Pete get ready in the corners, David West comes up high for a screen and will move down towards the basket when Chris Paul makes his move, and the remaining big stays down low.
if u didnt notice they all ran ISO in the video

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.