Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Another NBA Developer Insights is online, this one talking about NBA 2K10 and NBA Today.

Quote:
"NBA Today is a revolutionary way to experience the NBA 2K game play you love. In the “old days” you’d fire up your basketball game and wind up on a team select screen…try to figure out what matchup you wanted to play and then get going. When it came to commentary, presentation and overlays your game was happening in a vacuum. There was nothing “real” about it. It was a fantasy matchup that had no real-world context and no impact. There was a limited list of subjects the commentators could discuss. They could talk about what was happening in that particular game and they could talk about what happened last season. That was pretty much it.

In NBA 2K10 that’s all changed. NBA Today takes the sport you love, NBA basketball, and the game you love, NBA 2K, and finally puts them in the same “world”. When you start 2K10, your Internet-connected console will reach out and grab all the latest information about what’s happening in the league. After that, you won’t land on the team select screen: instead you’ll go directly to the NBA Today screen which lists the REAL NBA matchups that are actually being played TODAY. Additionally you will see a breakdown of scores from last night’s games, as well as view which players in tonight’s matchups are leading their teams in the various stat categories. Furthermore, while the game is loading you’ll get a quick update on how both teams did in their last games and the stats their key players put up. From the NBA Today Menu, you can access box scores for ALL NBA games that have already been played, division and conference standings, league leader stats, the latest transactions, follow any trades that are happening around the league, and check out an All-Star voting watch menu."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ctu130 @ 08/18/09 03:48 AM
This is cool news i want to see it in action.

I also noticed they have the new/old sixers logo... i dont know why they wouldn't have added it.. o_O but hey, its nice to see it in the game :X

# 62 lkasprzak @ 08/18/09 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
it would be so cool if i was playing a game in my association and then all of a sudden hear harlan say something about someone getting traded or picked up from FA
My god that`s great! Hope that we`ll hear it

# 63 BiggD @ 08/18/09 04:30 AM
Sounds awesome!!! hopefully its implemented in the right way.....thats my only concern

# 64 fearwhatnow @ 08/18/09 04:58 AM
The game will ship with an extra commentary disc that will contain the possible lines for the dynamic commentary??Can't see how they will manage to put so much extra content on a DL Dvd that was nearly full with 6gb last year.

# 65 Goffs @ 08/18/09 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
The game will ship with an extra commentary disc that will contain the possible lines for the dynamic commentary??Can't see how they will manage to put so much extra content on a DL Dvd that was nearly full with 6gb last year.
hmm was just thinking about this...lol i know better than to get excited about something but this has really piqued my interest big time

# 66 shindiana @ 08/18/09 05:38 AM
I don't want to sound like a fanboy (which I'm not) but I'm not sold on this.

I think it's great that they made this upgrade on commentary, it will add more authenticity but IMO at the end of the day it will still be frustrating.

Even if we hear at the beginning of each game "the leader in assist is PAUL/DERON/NASH" "KOBE/LEBRON/DURANT still lead the league in points and shot attempt"."Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to 2k Sports for this matchup between..." "The Raptors are one win away of securing a spot for the 8th seed in the East, what do you think Kenny?"

I mean commentary in a video game will never approach the variety of real life broadcast, so my expectations are pretty low on NBA Today but I hope they'll prove me wrong.

# 67 chadskee @ 08/18/09 06:35 AM
I'm pretty much in love.

# 68 chrisc50 @ 08/18/09 06:54 AM
That all sounds great, good to hear more info

# 69 DC @ 08/18/09 07:17 AM
I have to See it to believe it. Sounds nice though

# 70 marcoyk @ 08/18/09 08:58 AM
Interesting, a real battle is brewing between 2K and Live right now in my mind.

# 71 STLRams @ 08/18/09 09:09 AM
So who will be doing the commentary for NBA2K10? Is Kevin Harlan and Clark Kellog returning? I wonder what kind of software 2K is using to have the commentators change and update there commentary dynamically during games? I thought maybe 2K was going to go the NFL2K5 route and have those imaginary commentors Peter Okeefe and that other commentator do NBA2K10. That would have been cool, those guys were great on NFL2K5.

# 72 bonannogiovanni @ 08/18/09 09:29 AM
The icing on the cake would be a daily around the league highlight show.....

# 73 STLRams @ 08/18/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
The icing on the cake would be a daily around the league highlight show.....
AGREED! This is a must.

# 74 Stumbleweed @ 08/18/09 10:36 AM
Sounds promising for sure, but I've been burned before. Hope it's as good as it sounds -- from that initial GameSpot article, he mentioned the commentary right away, so maybe it is that improved (and theoretically will get better as the season goes along).

# 75 23 @ 08/18/09 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindiana
I don't want to sound like a fanboy (which I'm not) but I'm not sold on this.

I think it's great that they made this upgrade on commentary, it will add more authenticity but IMO at the end of the day it will still be frustrating.

Even if we hear at the beginning of each game "the leader in assist is PAUL/DERON/NASH" "KOBE/LEBRON/DURANT still lead the league in points and shot attempt"."Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to 2k Sports for this matchup between..." "The Raptors are one win away of securing a spot for the 8th seed in the East, what do you think Kenny?"

I mean commentary in a video game will never approach the variety of real life broadcast, so my expectations are pretty low on NBA Today but I hope they'll prove me wrong.
It wasnt such a bad thing at all, actually kinda cool back when ID implemented it in its games in 03-04...but the commentators were different too, and although the lines got repetetive later on they didnt always stick to a script, or they'd laugh talking about other things during gameplay or whatever... we'll just have to see.

# 76 GSW @ 08/18/09 11:51 AM
This doesnt really interest me at all.

maybe it was the way it was described though.

# 77 aholbert32 @ 08/18/09 11:57 AM
I think people are running wild with their imaginations. Temper your expectations people. If its anything like the commentary ID had, I will be satisfied.

# 78 SageInfinite @ 08/18/09 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think people are running wild with their imaginations. Temper your expectations people. If its anything like the commentary ID had, I will be satisfied.
Co-sign.

# 79 TreyIM2 @ 08/18/09 12:08 PM
Uhh, hmm....Actually, and this is no hate toward 2K, the guys at EA already talked about using 365, over a month or so ago, to do the same thing but even then I was still not sure how I felt about it. I like the idea of getting updated commentary as the season goes on but I want the commentary to reflect more of what's going on in MY NBA season NOT what's happening in the actual NBA Season.
Now, if there is a hub that keeps updating with current info that pertains to the actual NBA season that you can access, then fine. Actual in-2K/Live commentary updating with real world facts, in "real time", I dunno about that part.
We'll see who pulls this off best but either way, I am interested but 2K needs to talk more about fixing it's issues as they are seeming to turn into EA of old by pouring more syrup on ish. That DON'T make it pancakes, as the immortal Samuel L. Jackson once said in Juice. Ha....

# 80 amedawg00 @ 08/18/09 12:35 PM
This is revolutionary! The Live 10 devs must be literally stunned now that VC has taken commentary a truly unique and dynamic plateau. This must have been the feeling when Live caught VC flat footed with the synergy technology last year. I just hope the commentary concerning the real time stats and overlays arent robotic sounding when mixed in with the pre-programmed free wheeling commentary.

Signed...
VC/2K Fanboy

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.