Home
Backbreaker News Post

Joystiq has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Backbreaker may be the greatest football game no one will ever play. While I can attempt to detail its incredible use of the Euphoria physics engine, its spectacular graphics and truly innovative gameplay, all these features are moot thanks to the crippling fact that the game does not have the NFL license. Without the license, the annual Madden devotee won't have this on his (or her!) radar -- ironic, because Backbreaker makes good on the lofty promises of Madden 06's teased "CG movie" effect, which EA Sports has yet to deliver on, even four years later."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Aso21Raiders @ 03/05/10 09:26 PM
With full customization the no nfl license i don't think will really be a problem.

# 2 adamgod8 @ 03/05/10 11:18 PM
Most optimistic preview yet

# 3 Gusto1 @ 03/06/10 12:12 AM
It will take day one purchases to ensure that this game becomes a yearly product. If we just wait to buy it used the money wont go to the company that makes it which means no backbreaker in 2011. Everyone will gripe about it instead of realizing you have to buy the product new to ensure future interations. Madden will be there dare to try something new we get fooled by Madden every year just becuse they have the NFL license. Then complain about it until they come with hype and forget we got taken. Its worth taking a chance if the demo is released or even if operation sports gives it a good preview.

# 4 adamgod8 @ 03/06/10 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto1
It will take day one purchases to ensure that this game becomes a yearly product. If we just wait to buy it used the money wont go to the company that makes it which means no backbreaker in 2011. Everyone will gripe about it instead of realizing you have to buy the product new to ensure future interations. Madden will be there dare to try something new we get fooled by Madden every year just becuse they have the NFL license. Then complain about it until they come with hype and forget we got taken. Its worth taking a chance if the demo is released or even if operation sports gives it a good preview.
My guess is that they come back to BackBreaker in 2012 or 2013....they bought the name "IceBreaker" so it looks like maybe well have a hockey game with Euphoria in 2011 or 12

# 5 ZoneKIller @ 03/06/10 07:49 AM
I doubt I'll buy it new,money has been kind of tight with my hours cut back.
But I will def buy this game.I wasnt to impressed back in the day when I first heard about it.But being fully customizable and actually for real,yeah Im buying it.Either used or if the price comes down.

# 6 LeonM @ 03/06/10 08:37 AM
This is an extremely positive review. The previewer loves the game.

However, The previewer like most people doesn't think that this game will be a commercial success. Even if this game is good to very good. The climate and market are not set up for this game o succeed.

I am a huge NFL fan and a Madden player but no license will not effect me here because of the deepest editing in any football video game ever. I am looking for an alternative to Madden and the customization and euphoria is what has me sold.

Hopefully, This game will be playable for years to come because I fear that it will be a one and done game. It certainly is loaded with alot of fun features that should make the game playable for a long time. The two franchise modes are huge. It will take awhile for gamers to edit every team and player. Personally, I can't wait for May 18th.

# 7 TreyIM2 @ 03/06/10 03:55 PM
While I am looking forward to this game, I can only take "Joystiq's" preview with a grain of salt due to the fact that they have shown to be anti-Madden and also seem to not be a very sportsgame oriented website, to begin with. I hope they at least come out with a demo. At worst, I'll rent it first.

# 8 turftickler @ 03/06/10 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
While I am looking forward to this game, I can only take "Joystiq's" preview with a grain of salt due to the fact that they have shown to be anti-Madden and also seem to not be a very sportsgame oriented website, to begin with. I hope they at least come out with a demo. At worst, I'll rent it first.
Well, even if they are anti-Madden, they should be for a good reason. Madden NFL games are horrible at best, in my opinion. I'm being honest, not sarcastic. This should be the Madden NFL killer, but it won't be, especially since NFL gamer fans are brainwashed by EA Sports. Backbreaker deservers respect and a fair chance. I finally broke free from EA's grasp this year.

# 9 kjcheezhead @ 03/06/10 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Yeah, fair enough. Joystiq was the most positive preview of Backbreaker and Madden forced them to redo their article last year because it was so negative. On the flip side, IGN was possibly the only truly negative preview of Backbreaker so far and they historically go higher than average with their reviews of Madden. Safe to say there is some politics involved in these previews on both sides.

It's really a shame because, these games honestly don't have to compete. If people pick up Backbreaker and enjoy it for three months, they probably got their moneys worth. Then they can move on to Madden if they want. People do it with NCAA all the time.

# 10 blackpuppy @ 03/06/10 07:39 PM
I'm glad it doesn't have an NFL license. Why is it so crippling that it doesn't have one? That fact that it doesn't have one leaves it open in soo many ways. It's in it's own world, and it leaves the gamers experienced bordered only by their own imagination. If you wan't realism play madden. If you're looking for authenticity in an arcade game Vs looking for it in a simulation game you're a poser.

# 11 backbreakersteel @ 03/06/10 07:54 PM
looks amazing...Create a stadium? online co-op? Backbreak...where amazing happens

# 12 turftickler @ 03/06/10 07:58 PM
I'm done talking about Madden NFL games, unless I can find something good to say about them. The only one that made me think twice about getting it over a 2k football game was Madden 2005.

I hope to see another article from Joystiq soon. That one seemed to be less biased than the others I have read. He seemed to nail both sides of it well. And he stated that the graphics that we should have gotten with Madden 06 are actually a quality that Backbreaker possesses.

# 13 TracerBullet @ 03/06/10 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Yeah, fair enough. Joystiq was the most positive preview of Backbreaker and Madden forced them to redo their article last year because it was so negative. On the flip side, IGN was possibly the only truly negative preview of Backbreaker so far and they historically go higher than average with their reviews of Madden. Safe to say there is some politics involved in these previews on both sides.

It's really a shame because, these games honestly don't have to compete. If people pick up Backbreaker and enjoy it for three months, they probably got their moneys worth. Then they can move on to Madden if they want. People do it with NCAA all the time.
I agree. I always rent games on their first release (on the off chance the game is terrible) but having a new football game in May with customization like backbreaker is a great thing. Even if its just mediocre I'll be happy with it to take up my time till NCAA/Madden and maybe even further if its good. I like Madden/NCAA but that doesn't make me automatically against other football games. All of these games are going to have their share of problems though.

# 14 turftickler @ 03/06/10 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
I agree. I always rent games on their first release (on the off chance the game is terrible) but having a new football game in May with customization like backbreaker is a great thing. Even if its just mediocre I'll be happy with it to take up my time till NCAA/Madden and maybe even further if its good. I like Madden/NCAA but that doesn't make me automatically against other football games. All of these games are going to have their share of problems though.
Great post. It is good to see more level headed people post in these threads. I am on the opposited end of the spectrum. I used to love playing Madden NFL games, but they got stale to me and they seemed to get worse when they switched to next-gen. Take for example, NBA 2k10. I like the game, but I loved last years version. I rarely play it. I have only played about 170 games while many other players have played 1000's.

I sometimes think that our expectations become too high, but in Madden NFL 10's case, I would say that our expectations should have been met by now. We are not asking for a perfect game, just a football game with good gameplay that does not cheat you to win.

# 15 bdozer66 @ 03/07/10 05:50 AM
Do you people not see how arcady this games looks, it looks like a joke with every player having fake abs through there jersey? i mean come on.

The players all look the same at each position. It looks like blitz the League.

If you want sim, the closest thing is Madden, and it has gotten a lot better.

I cant wait for everyone to be Disappointed and come on here a cry about it.

# 16 JMD @ 03/07/10 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer66
Do you people not see how arcady this games looks, it looks like a joke with every player having fake abs through there jersey? i mean come on.

# 17 roadman @ 03/07/10 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
Great post. It is good to see more level headed people post in these threads. I am on the opposited end of the spectrum. I used to love playing Madden NFL games, but they got stale to me and they seemed to get worse when they switched to next-gen. Take for example, NBA 2k10. I like the game, but I loved last years version. I rarely play it. I have only played about 170 games while many other players have played 1000's.

I sometimes think that our expectations become too high, but in Madden NFL 10's case, I would say that our expectations should have been met by now. We are not asking for a perfect game, just a football game with good gameplay that does not cheat you to win.
Turf;

Practice what you preach? You said in your previous post that you were done talking about Madden, and in your next post you mention it twice?

Sorry, had to point it out.

# 18 10yard-Fight @ 03/07/10 09:01 AM
Backbreaker might end being a good game, but i love to play videogame football with nfl players. As much as i loved the 2k series i still own APF2k8 but i don't play it because of the fact it's hard for me to get into a non nfl football game now.

# 19 Gusto1 @ 03/07/10 10:47 AM
This game is a good fix until July. It would really help 505 if they drop the price point to $39-$49. They may lose money but this game needs exposure and many will take the risk at a lower price.

# 20 kjcheezhead @ 03/07/10 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer66

I'm more interested in how the game plays, not looks. Abs on the uniforms doesn't mean it's arcade. Animated hand towels doesn't mean its sim.

The game looks like it plays a decent game. I have seen almost no clipping, sliding or glitchy type play in the vids. No real over the top tackles at all. It looks fun to me. Besides, I'll decide if I want that other "sim" game in August, not May 18th.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.