Backbreaker News Post

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 121 turftickler @ 05/11/10 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You guys are awesome, it's amazing when a lineman can have his foot stepped on by what looks like a 250lb safety and fall down, but then it's suddenly 'nothing to see here, making a big deal of nothing' when the running back's foot clips through almost his entire lower leg, from foot to knee. I guess it's not quite all 'physics based action' and if it is, then there are some collision problems.
Good points, but who says that BB will be perfect. Of course it will have some hiccups. Do you play Madden NFL games? If so, how many times have you wanted to quit your game and start over or complete turn off your console, take the game out and play something different?

I'm not here to bash EA Sports or even the Madden NFL series. I would just like you and everyone else to realize that Backbreaker is not going to be a game of perfection. No game is or will be, although some may get close.

# 122 turftickler @ 05/11/10 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Basically, it's cool to go through the video looking for anything that proves that the Physics Based Action!! makes this the greatest football game ever but calling attention to something that the engine was supposed to fix(clipping and player movement) is unacceptable.
Who said that physics is supposed to fix those things? There will still be clipping, but you will not see a WR run straight through another player to score a TD that should have been a tackle. That happened to me multiple times online in Madden 10.

Clipping will exist in every game.

# 123 turftickler @ 05/11/10 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It does too effect gameplay. We saw the lineman fall when his foot was stepped on, so the RB should have at least stumbled when his foot would have hit the lineman's leg. Is it a big time bug? Not really, I'll still be at Gamestop day one to pick this up, but I definitely would like it to be fixed by release somehow.
Warping and Clipping are 2 entirely different issues. Warping is when you see a player move from point A to point B in such a way that is physically impossible. Clipping is when you see minor things, such as players hands, feet, legs, or an any object going through part of another object.

Ghosting, well that's self-explanatory.

# 124 turftickler @ 05/11/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Sure it has great animations, but there's no reason for players feet to be going through the field. It's the same thing that happens in Madden. It's something that doesn't happen in 2K's games. I don't understand how they could build a new game from scratch and not have the feet planting properly on the field. I noticed the feet warping at normal speed, which means it's visible enough to be noticeable and affect the immersion and overall animation quality.
Yes, players feet do go through the ground in APF 2k8. It just doesn't happen as much.

# 125 DavonBrown @ 05/11/10 01:34 AM
Has a developer confirmed that the reason for him falling was his foot being stepped on? It could very well be an animation where the offensive lineman just throws all of his weight into the defender.

# 126 Blzer @ 05/11/10 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
Warping and Clipping are 2 entirely different issues. Warping is when you see a player move from point A to point B in such a way that is physically impossible. Clipping is when you see minor things, such as players hands, feet, legs, or an any object going through part of another object.

Ghosting, well that's self-explanatory.
Actually, clipping is an illegal block in the back.

Funny that we're using the other definition for clipping when discovering it in a football video game.

# 127 Eastsidestory5 @ 05/11/10 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
Man they could do soooo much with this engine. I cant stand the player models but thats about it.
I believe they aren't allowed to model their players to look similar to real NFL players.

They are being very careful to avoid any lawsuits

# 128 Blzer @ 05/11/10 02:40 AM
2K Sports had no problem with it when they made All Pro Football 2K8.

I don't think EA has the license to realistically-proportioned people. Even they don't seem to use it if they do.

# 129 thedude213 @ 05/11/10 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastsidestory5
I believe they aren't allowed to model their players to look similar to real NFL players.

They are being very careful to avoid any lawsuits
I don't think that's the reason. How could they prove that a player is based off of a specific NFL player?

I think it may have had something to do with the capabilities of Euphoria. Maybe it just didn't work with a wide range of body types? However I'm sure this is being fixed, especially with Red Dead Redemption using Euphoria for people and the horses. They recently had a video where they were using Euphoria on different bodies (such as aliens and just non-human in general), so I'm sure this is something that will be fixed by the next installment.

# 130 Exonerated @ 05/11/10 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude213
I don't think that's the reason. How could they prove that a player is based off of a specific NFL player?

I think it may have had something to do with the capabilities of Euphoria. Maybe it just didn't work with a wide range of body types? However I'm sure this is being fixed, especially with Red Dead Redemption using Euphoria for people and the horses. They recently had a video where they were using Euphoria on different bodies (such as aliens and just non-human in general), so I'm sure this is something that will be fixed by the next installment.
Because lawyers make a lot of money.

But I digress, its definitely not anything to do with lawsuits, it was probably just simpler to make everyone the same. Did not have enough time to test different body sizes?

# 131 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 04:45 AM
Quote:
Yes, this has been gone over in the thread, as you surely got to sometime during your 5 straight replies (there's a multiquote btw). The amazing physics appear to allow him to get his foot stepped on, as the runner then clips through his leg from the bottom of his foot to almost his knee with the center of his foot.
So what if i replied 5 times whats it to you... You reply to every thread here with the same negativity..?? is there a response limit? If there is , i know youre over it.

Stop worrying about what others say and stick to the topic

# 132 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 04:53 AM
Quote:
Actually I'm the first person in the thread that suggested that as the reason for why he fell down, and added (which is awesome) after it.

I also posted this picture... which people apparently still don't see clipping in (runner's left foot), or blame the camera view.

the clipping IS there, my point is that the player reacted correctly to the contact rather than ignoring it. Thats the difference between BB and what we have now..

# 133 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmanqb3
The game looks great. I love the controls. After watching this, NCAA and Madden look weird.
The physics difference is like night and day

# 134 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It does too effect gameplay. We saw the lineman fall when his foot was stepped on, so the RB should have at least stumbled when his foot would have hit the lineman's leg. Is it a big time bug? Not really, I'll still be at Gamestop day one to pick this up, but I definitely would like it to be fixed by release somehow.
Yes were all nitpicking myself included..I feel like the RB stepping on the foot thing is 50-50...sometimes it causes a stumble, sometimes not..All i know is that in ncaa 9 and 10, 74 would never have fallen..he'd have clipped thru that leg and kept running after the block.. im ecstatic that this game brings us alot closer to having tru physics..meaning were closer to real football.

# 135 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Sure it has great animations, but there's no reason for players feet to be going through the field. It's the same thing that happens in Madden. It's something that doesn't happen in 2K's games. I don't understand how they could build a new game from scratch and not have the feet planting properly on the field. I noticed the feet warping at normal speed, which means it's visible enough to be noticeable and affect the immersion and overall animation quality.
careful now, 2K's games warp plenty, thru players, and the environments..In the nba 2k series they dont warp thru the floor but they warp thru everything else, as far as mlb2k well, nuff said

# 136 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd
The only I don't like is the juking. It's jaring compared to the other moves, the rb just kind of stops on a dime and jumps completely perpendicular to his previous direction. Not even Barry Sanders in his prime could do it like that, even he had to slow down a bit before making a jump cut.
i agree, seems overdone, too powerful..I'm nervous about the shoulder charge, truck move too..

# 137 blackscorpion11 @ 05/11/10 05:43 AM
What about sliders?? i havent heard any mention of that, Does this game have any?

# 138 jmood88 @ 05/11/10 08:35 AM
Quote:
As opposed to Madden NFL 11's and NCAA 11's or are you basing that off of real life people running down field? The running looks a little stiff, but they players move realistically.
I never brought up Madden so what the running animations look like in that game is irrelevant to this discussion. The players are way too upright while running and look like robots.

# 139 jmood88 @ 05/11/10 08:37 AM
Quote:
Who said that physics is supposed to fix those things? There will still be clipping, but you will not see a WR run straight through another player to score a TD that should have been a tackle. That happened to me multiple times online in Madden 10.

Clipping will exist in every game.
The fans who claim to follow every scrap of news keep saying how Physics Based Action will solve all problems with clipping.

# 140 RayAllen20 @ 05/11/10 05:03 PM
wow this video really impressed me. I went from thinking this game would be awful, to thinking this game could be alright.

Still the passing game looks pretty bad imo. The WR/DB interaction just looks off. And while everyone acts like this game will be absolutely amazing, I'm not labeling any game anything until I get my hands on it. We don't know how the bad the A.I. is. What if we win every game 60-0? What if franchise mode is terrible? What if this game has no replay value? So while almost everyone is already crowning this game the champ of football video games, lets be a little bit more realistic and patient before this game comes out.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.