Home
Backbreaker News Post

The "Greathouse" patch for Backbreaker is now available for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

To find out what's in the patch, click here.

Here's some quick thoughts...

The CPU is better but could probably be even better. Time will tell on this one.
CPU can run. CPU can pass.
Sometimes the safeties just don't go after the ball resulting in an easy catch and other times they do. Probably has to do with focus ratings but doesn't look right when they sit back.
Instant replay is okay. It's not in the same league as WEs or NFL2k5 but after original version, you can see what's going on and have multiple views.
Teams may have been edited.

It looks like they did a bang up job! Time will tell on how it holds up.

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 101 MiNiDiTkA @ 08/07/10 02:30 PM
Wow! looks like the new patch also included a fatality move

Flawless victory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYa4l8dcSts

So before the patch I sucked and after suck even more Think I might have to lower the difficulty and get readjusted to the patch.

# 102 JayBee74 @ 08/07/10 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
actually now in the options of the Hard drive it just asks you if you want to "clear the cache"

no more need to do the bumper thing it does the same thing.
good information

# 103 Klocker @ 08/07/10 03:30 PM
yea, I destroy on easy and get frustrated as hell on Medium with no running game and having hard time getting in a passing rhythm

# 104 bighurt27 @ 08/07/10 03:57 PM
Wow this game went from broken and unplayable to pretty darn fun. I like how the recievers don't give up on bad throws and still try to make a play on the ball. The running game is tougher but at least you dont crumple up like an accordion when you graze the arm of your own linemen anymore. BB2 is gonna be a friggin masterpiece. Kudos Natural Motion on FINALLY reinventing video football.

# 105 chrome_305 @ 08/07/10 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
yea, I destroy on easy and get frustrated as hell on Medium with no running game and having hard time getting in a passing rhythm
With the passing try using the lob pass it works to get the ball over the head of the D.I find passing real easy now! Before i too was also frustrated with the passing game and dropped passes, but you have lead your man and also hold down on the RT button when they are running there route not after.Your guy will come down with the ball even if they get murdered by the D.

# 106 Klocker @ 08/07/10 05:15 PM
^^^ thanks~

can someone explain these patch notes plz:

Quote:
Added a ‘glance’ button which allows you to instantly check your blind-side

Improved mechanism for Quarterback scanning the field

# 107 Epiffani @ 08/07/10 05:44 PM
Not a chance that I'd delete this patch and go back to the way the game was, which was more or less the hardest level being reduced to the easiest difficulty that is in the patched version of this game; Tombsong posted some incredibly valuable information in the thread about WR dropping passes for those who are struggling in that area, and it reduces the drop balls by a good margin. The CPU running game, although no where near the level of their passing game, has been improved. I've said it before, before the patch, while on defense, it was almost as if my defense was moving at a faster framerate than the offense, which would give my defense plenty of time to react and completely shut down things down, most notably the run. Now, If the CPU RB happens to get into the second level of the defense, they can pull off some nice runs, but it still isn't exactly ideal.

As far as me running the ball, I can almost see when I'm about to get shut down on a given play when I see certain alignments. I can run the ball notably better against bad teams on pro/hard, but teams with a good defense? I get shut down. I'm going to experiment with different audible running plays to see if I can gain an advantage. I've had moderately more success running the ball to the outside than to the inside where it's completely clogged most of the time. Still experimenting with the running game before I declare it broken for users like people did before with the passing game.

# 108 Card-me @ 08/07/10 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
Not a chance that I'd delete this patch and go back to the way the game was, which was more or less the hardest level being reduced to the easiest difficulty that is in the patched version of this game; Tombsong posted some incredibly valuable information in the thread about WR dropping passes for those who are struggling in that area, and it reduces the drop balls by a good margin. The CPU running game, although no where near the level of their passing game, has been improved. I've said it before, before the patch, while on defense, it was almost as if my defense was moving at a faster framerate than the offense, which would give my defense plenty of time to react and completely shut down things down, most notably the run. Now, If the CPU RB happens to get into the second level of the defense, they can pull off some nice runs, but it still isn't exactly ideal.

As far as me running the ball, I can almost see when I'm about to get shut down on a given play when I see certain alignments. I can run the ball notably better against bad teams on pro/hard, but teams with a good defense? I get shut down. I'm going to experiment with different audible running plays to see if I can gain an advantage. I've had moderately more success running the ball to the outside than to the inside where it's completely clogged most of the time. Still experimenting with the running game before I declare it broken for users.
I agree with the running. The only two plays I've found that actually work for me with any kind of consistency are the Strong I stretch and the Bunch stretch. Ace Stretch works occasionally, but not enough to count. But none of the inside plays get anything for me on Hard anymore (save for the random luck), draws never worked for me, and pitches seem to get blown up by DEs more often than not, and even if they don't get blown up they go for about a yard or two.

# 109 budsticky @ 08/07/10 06:03 PM
After reading through these impressions you all have sold me on this game. I didn't get it at first because I was on here reading about all the problems, but now I will buy it. I will be passing on Madden in favor of this. It will be nice to have something that is a change of pace.

# 110 swanlee @ 08/07/10 07:17 PM
What I did was take the latest 360 NFL roster and tweak it with Fynn's editor for the team I play as the Falcons, I upped the stats on my RB's and O-linemen and my QB. So I can pass well without to many INT's but now I have at least a reasonable running game

Now I still get a good challenge on medium and in my last game I even lost to the Colts on a missed FG with ZERO on the colck because they committed a PI on the last play. That was one freakin awesome game even though I lost.

# 111 sparkyiii2k @ 08/07/10 07:52 PM
I'm going to start my season on easy so I can get use to the patch and work on my running game then depending on my success ill increase the difficulty may RTBB may be a better to use for training I like what the patch has to offer, it took a a fun innovative game with many flaws and made it more fun. It still has some flaws which can't be fix during this development cycle but perhaps the next one. This is where the "Wishlist Thread "becomes very important because apparently the Developers do listen let's just be constructive respectful with our request to take Backbreaker 2 to the next level.

# 112 TreFacTor @ 08/07/10 08:28 PM
Already waiting for patch 2. This patch screws up alot without fixing much. It hides the faults of the lack of pass blocking with invisible fields that hold the defense back. There is also sliding and morphing occurring to reposition players, something madden fans have hated for years. The running game is non existent after the patch. You will get smashed after the hand off 3 out of every 5 attempts. You have to audible a lot because the computer just knows how to stop your run no matter if it's the first time you've called the play or the tenth. The computer also always plays cover 3 whenever you have 3 wide outs on the field making it too predictable.

Then there are the new dropped passes and interceptions that now require you receiver to have 2 feet down or take 2 steps before they can maintain possession of the ball. This was dumb, and should have been adopted for fumbles and not to determine if a player catches a ball or drops it.

Overall Greathouse gets a -D

If you look at the BB official forums, not a lot of people are happy with the patch
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

# 113 Epiffani @ 08/07/10 09:10 PM
Ha, I was up 14-9 after the CPU scored a TD. They came out in a FGA formation, and then hurried up and called an audible into a passing formation to get the two extra points to make it a one possession game. I was too shocked to even make changes to my defense. Speaking of defense, it's fun to play now that everyone is a threat on the field. I got my first "user-controlled" tipped pass (relative to where you are on the field and when you use focus:

Felt better than an INT tbh.

As for running, I'm literally running AWAY from my O-line, and I'm doing a bit better because of it. Got my first 100 plus yard game on 30 attempts (NO big gains just medium ones with a couple of 10 yarders.) The run blocking 0-line simply can not be relied upon to hold their blocks. One minute it looks like their doing a good job run blocking until you try to run in a lane they created, and then all of a sudden they get overpowered and you get blasted. Tosses, pitches, and a little bit of stretch to the outside is all for me. I refuse to run in between tackles unless I need 1 yard, or a couple of inches, and I'm doing that with my fullback not RB. The first thing I'm getting when I play RTBB is a fast running back, so I can bounce it outside.

# 114 adamgod8 @ 08/07/10 09:41 PM
Glance button is the best feature! I use it every pass play now...for whoever was asking about it....you tap or hold L1 and it will glance over to your blindside on a pass play to get a good look at your whole line and opposite receivers, when you let go it shifts back to your receiver

# 115 zmcman1 @ 08/07/10 09:54 PM
Currently up on the NE Militia 21-10 with my created team at half. Pro-Medium

QB (93 focus) 13/17 160 yards, TD/INT, Rushing TD
RB 9 carries for 38 yards (4.2 YPC) TD (Low 80s stats)

Using the protect ball (Aggressive + Down on stick) after catching passes has really, really helped the dropped ball situations. I was actually 12/13 at one point until running a 2-minute offense before the half.

While the run blocking does need tweaking, I had gains of 5, 7, and 11 yards going up the middle. I'd advise for when you call a run up the middle, make sure you have enough blockers to contain the amount of people the defense is sticking in the box. If not, audible out. Those 3 runs all came when I had either an equal or greater amount of blockers on the line than the defense had in the box.

edit: Finished up the game. Won 31-17. Strayed from my own advice of switching out of runs plays late in the game so my YPC took a huge hit. But still stayed very successful passing the ball.

QB - 21/29 (72%) 288 yards, 2 TD, INT
RB - 18 carries for 54 yards (3.0 ypc), TD

# 116 JayBee74 @ 08/08/10 01:47 PM
Played a few games on Pro Hard-can't get into it. I like the new passing game, but bored to tears with the CPU and Human impotent run games. The CPU's regular draw play is getting on my nerves.

I'm getting beat regularly, mostly with plays away from me in the passing game. The O-Line blocking is non existent and a game breaker for me. The game has degenerated into a passing contest, and that doesn't work for me. I would like an option for a regular camera on defense.

I'll stick with APF until the next update.

# 117 zmcman1 @ 08/08/10 02:12 PM
the game in its current state is way too easy, even on Pro-Hard.

Played equal teams last night, NE-Indy, on Pro-Hard, Average form. Won 48-0, completing 28/34 passes. Protect Ball now seems more like an exploit instead of a resolution as WRs still reel in catches even with hard contact. Meanwhile, the CPU doesn't have the logic to Protect Ball, so CPU QB Completion %'s are being killed. Add that on to the CPU struggling with the run game and they don't really put up a fight on offense.

Playing more I realized the CPU QB AI really hasn't improved. They've attempted to mask the lower completion %s/high INT #s by having the the CPU throw more screens/dump off to the flats. In that same game, if you factored out screens/dumps, the QB went 4/14 for 52 yards and an INT (complete stats: 14/24 71 yards, INT.) I know NM can't re-write the QB AI code completely so adding more screens/dump offs are understandable. But with the run blocking being so poor now, they barely have a chance to pick up yardage on these.

With how easy the passing game is now and no real way to tune it down besides maybe turning accuracy back down a bit, the CPU really needs a boost. Even if that means giving them a higher probability of holding onto passes where defenders make contact. I'm not saying they should catch everything thrown to them, but it should be a bit more favorable that they hold onto catches. It's really the only way NM can balance the CPU passing game.

# 118 opd897 @ 08/08/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcman1
the game in its current state is way too easy, even on Pro-Hard.

Played equal teams last night, NE-Indy, on Pro-Hard, Average form. Won 48-0, completing 28/34 passes. Protect Ball now seems more like an exploit instead of a resolution as WRs still reel in catches even with hard contact. Meanwhile, the CPU doesn't have the logic to Protect Ball, so CPU QB Completion %'s are being killed. Add that on to the CPU struggling with the run game and they don't really put up a fight on offense.

Playing more I realized the CPU QB AI really hasn't improved. They've attempted to mask the lower completion %s/high INT #s by having the the CPU throw more screens/dump off to the flats. In that same game, if you factored out screens/dumps, the QB went 4/14 for 52 yards and an INT (complete stats: 14/24 71 yards, INT.) I know NM can't re-write the QB AI code completely so adding more screens/dump offs are understandable. But with the run blocking being so poor now, they barely have a chance to pick up yardage on these.

With how easy the passing game is now and no real way to tune it down besides maybe turning accuracy back down a bit, the CPU really needs a boost. Even if that means giving them a higher probability of holding onto passes where defenders make contact. I'm not saying they should catch everything thrown to them, but it should be a bit more favorable that they hold onto catches. It's really the only way NM can balance the CPU passing game.
You must have great skills. Before the patch I was winning nearly every game. After the patch I lose games regularly on medium and hard is well................hard (for me).

# 119 boooey @ 08/08/10 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
What I did was take the latest 360 NFL roster and tweak it with Fynn's editor for the team I play as the Falcons, I upped the stats on my RB's and O-linemen and my QB. So I can pass well without to many INT's but now I have at least a reasonable running game

Now I still get a good challenge on medium and in my last game I even lost to the Colts on a missed FG with ZERO on the colck because they committed a PI on the last play. That was one freakin awesome game even though I lost.
I edited my Raiders with Finn editor, saved, rehashed, and copied it back to my 360, yet the ratings that are in Finn editor are not the same as what i am seeing in the game.. am i doing something wrong?

# 120 zmcman1 @ 08/08/10 04:54 PM
Just wrapped up another game.

Charleston (me) (69 Offense, 31 Defense, 47 Overall)
vs
Cincinnati (80 offense, 66 defense, 75 Overall)

Got down 24-0 early on in the game due to a huge 76 yard run by their RB and a few defensive lapses on my part (switching control to CBs and taking them out of position to defend the pass.) Final ended up being 41-24 Cincy.

Weren't too many drops this time around for the CPU as I wasn't in position to force them. Still had a good amount of success passing...31/41 489 Yards, 3 TD, 3 INT with Greathouse. CPU Cardona went 14/19 for 197 yards and 3 TD.

Their pass rush is what got me though. Team ended up with 11 sacks, 7 from the left side of their defense. 3-4 may have been my fault from dropping back to deep, but for the most part they just torched my OL.

Better competitive match-up than the match before, though I did cut down on their offensive production a lot in the second half (first half: 237 yards. second half: 98)

Trying the Indy/NE matchup again.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.