Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The question I keep asking myself is whether Gameflow and the Game Planning features are a revolution in Madden NFL 11 or just another gimmick which is sure to go by the wayside in future years not unlike Weapons, the Vision Cone, and any number of other features.

It's not like we haven't been given a bevy of reasons to believe Gameflow isn't indeed another gimmick.

Read more - Is Madden's Gameflow a Revolution or a Gimmick?

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo68
Was 'Garbage' an option? Alright, I know it wasn't but should have been. What's the purpose if you have to end up calling audibles 50% of the time. Was just telling my wife the other day that everything in this darned country is about being as fast as you can. Driving, cooking, eating, working, etc.. I personally enjoy spending 45-60 minutes playing a single game of Madden 10, The Show, or any other video game. I believe it's only aimed towards the newbies.

So, my final call would have to be 'Gimmick'. I would much rather have seen uniforms getting dirty as the game progresses, why in the world would they remove this from games past? And better announcers actually announcing a realistic type broadcast, not the disjointed garbage they came up with this year. Funny thing, I've been watching, following NFL football for over 25 years and I've never even heard of Gus Johnson until this game of Madden '11. Oh well.
Because they used to stick Gus with the crappy games like my hometown Lions. Gus is an AMAZING announcer, and he will only get better. I must ask, did you take the time to set your own gameplan, or did you run a default gameplan?

I took some time with it a few minutes ago, only setting up first down to see the differences and get some quick info. Loved it. The main reason for gameplan was that EA's research showed them that *most* players call a very small amount of the available plays - ala their "bread and butter" - so being able to do this, giving yourself the additional time to adjust, read the defense, etc - is great for those of us who KNOW what 5 plays we are generally call in those situations, and set them up so that our "coordinator" calls them for us.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm still playing with it, but I'm loving it so far. I will give a much more detailed report after I have set up a complete game and tested it for at least the first 4 games of my franchise, so I am able to give all sorts of ideas as to how the "coordinator" uses my detailed gameplan, and any issues I may find.

# 42 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner420
My thoughts exactly. Just a new way of using the random play function that has been in every ea football game.
Except the plays aren't "random". YOU define up to 15 plays for each situation (down and distance) - so they are the plays YOU picked. If you just run with a teams default gameplan, sure they are totally random, but not really even then. They are just using the plays set up in that teams "default" gameplan. You have to spend time in the gameplanning feature in order for gameflow to be at its fullest potential. Just loved what I saw in my short "non-default" test.

# 43 HiTEqMETHOD @ 08/10/10 07:27 PM
Gimmick, like others have said it seems like just a glorified Ask Madden. For casual players not something for a sports game vet. I'm starting to think (I'm probably late on this) the only reason Madden sells as much as it does is because of all the little kids and EA fans boys who purchase the game every year regardless of what changes are made. I don't know why EA are taking such a casual approach, maybe it's because they know they can't satisfy the sim gamer so they're taking the easy way out. EA is still playing catchup from when they promised gamers the world with that original Madden '06 video then failed miserably. I hope they get themselves in check soon, I'm starting to fiend for a proper NFL game and just can't go back to NFL 2k5's graphics anymore.

# 44 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
This thread is a great example of why I believe EA underestimates the Madden consumer. As soon as Gameflow was announced and described, some were already saying it sounded like a robust "ask madden", and EA gets somewhat defensive when asked about this.

Then again, it may not have anything to do with underestimating the Madden consumer, but simply implementing another feature they hope will pull in more casual gamers/noobs.

Either way, gimmick IMHO.
Most of the people who have commented in this thread haven't set up a gameplan to go with their Gameflow. The poster earlier (and please do not take this as an attack) said that he saw a called reverse on 3rd and 18... I'm sorry but if you don't want to see these plays then it is up to YOU to set your gameplan up so that is not even a thought in the situation.

As I've said, I have not done significant testing at this point, but early returns while combining Gameflow WITH Gameplanning AS INTENDED, produces quality results, and speedier games.

I still want to work with the system too, but flat out I believe a lot of people that are bashing the system have not put any significant depth and time into their gameplans. If you just go default, yes - it will do some dumb things and some plays you would NEVER call.

# 45 Klocker @ 08/10/10 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplaya
Except the plays aren't "random". YOU define up to 15 plays for each situation (down and distance) - so they are the plays YOU picked. If you just run with a teams default gameplan, sure they are totally random, but not really even then. They are just using the plays set up in that teams "default" gameplan. You have to spend time in the gameplanning feature in order for gameflow to be at its fullest potential. Just loved what I saw in my short "non-default" test.

exactly. Not only does it replicate how a real NFL calls a game (pre-set plays for most situations) it allows you to customize the game plan as you said.

Calling this a "random play generator" is not to know what it really is nor giving it a chance obviously.

# 46 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
exactly. Not only does it replicate how a real NFL calls a game (pre-set plays for most situations) it allows you to customize the game plan as you said.

Calling this a "random play generator" is not to know what it really is nor giving it a chance obviously.
Thanks for backing me up. I am going to be making a thread called "Jay's Lions Gameplan/Gameflow test" or something of the sort and working with gameplans that I've tweaked as far as they can be tweaked and reporting my results. If you see it, subscribe! I honestly think that if people get into this feature, it may be really awesome - and the more we can get people into using the system and reporting their results, the more we can possibly get EA to take our input on this feature.

We know they are listening now, I for one and am going to play and learn my *** of in order to try to help get the game we all want!

# 47 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 07:40 PM
In response to the "noob Ask Madden" thought... I actually think with correct use, this may be the most NON "noob" feature we have been given in some time. Gotta get to testing now, GO LIONS!!!

# 48 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/10/10 07:41 PM
I think it's far from a gimmick and think it was a great idea.

# 49 roadman @ 08/10/10 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforsure
!!

Oh and PATCH the Strategy pad !! I hate this.
Wow,it will be patched back to the old way around the 1st of the NFL weekend.

# 50 Dawsons_Creek @ 08/10/10 07:54 PM
Its a total gimmick and won't be in Madden within two years. EA didn't want to update franchise mode this year for whatever reason, so they needed something to hype up the game so they came up with gameflow.

# 51 Von Dozier @ 08/10/10 07:55 PM
Incredibly pointless gimmick designed strictly to pull in more casual gamers. I don't even expect it to be in Madden 12.

# 52 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 07:56 PM
And I would ask both of the above two posters how much time they spent actually fixing up their gameplans? I think a lot of people are mad that they aren't seeing results out of a system that you have to put a lot more than 40 seconds into to get the intended value out of.

# 53 TarHeelPhenom @ 08/10/10 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplaya
Most of the people who have commented in this thread haven't set up a gameplan to go with their Gameflow. The poster earlier (and please do not take this as an attack) said that he saw a called reverse on 3rd and 18... I'm sorry but if you don't want to see these plays then it is up to YOU to set your gameplan up so that is not even a thought in the situation.

As I've said, I have not done significant testing at this point, but early returns while combining Gameflow WITH Gameplanning AS INTENDED, produces quality results, and speedier games.

I still want to work with the system too, but flat out I believe a lot of people that are bashing the system have not put any significant depth and time into their gameplans. If you just go default, yes - it will do some dumb things and some plays you would NEVER call.

This is exactly what I said in my post. Gameflow and Gameplanning go hand in hand and unless you take the time to Gameplan, then Gameflow won't be utilized to the fullest.

My best friend and I have played two games. The first game my OC came out and wanted to establish the run real early and stuck with thta gameplan. The run game was successful and he sprinkled in a little play-action to go with it. The second game we played...on the first drive we threw the ball 8 out of 10 plays and had the Cowboys totally off guard. The next possession we started to run the ball and ended up blowing the Cowgirls out. Just one man's opinion but I love it and can see this being a favorite of a lot of people in the future...that is if EA puts more work into it.

# 54 NinjaGigolo @ 08/10/10 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo68
Was 'Garbage' an option? Alright, I know it wasn't but should have been. What's the purpose if you have to end up calling audibles 50% of the time. Was just telling my wife the other day that everything in this darned country is about being as fast as you can. Driving, cooking, eating, working, etc.. I personally enjoy spending 45-60 minutes playing a single game of Madden 10, The Show, or any other video game. I believe it's only aimed towards the newbies.

So, my final call would have to be 'Gimmick'. I would much rather have seen uniforms getting dirty as the game progresses, why in the world would they remove this from games past? And better announcers actually announcing a realistic type broadcast, not the disjointed garbage they came up with this year. Funny thing, I've been watching, following NFL football for over 25 years and I've never even heard of Gus Johnson until this game of Madden '11. Oh well.

I take offense to the idea that if you do not like playing 1hr games then you are a noob. I have a wife to spend time with and a son to play with. Starting tomorrow I will also have papers to grade, quizzes to make, lessons to plan. I simply do not have 1hr everyday to play games.

I LOVE the feature. I personally feel that it is a revolutionary OPTION. I don't quite understand why everyone has gotten so up in arms about something they do not have to do.

For the simple reason that I can play at least one game of franchise every single day and on some days possibly 3-4 games, this is the best football game yet. I feel like a real coach. I am altering my gameplan every game as I learn what does and does not work.

This has turned football gaming from "I really need to try to get a game in this evening if at all possible" to "OK, I am just gonna play one more."

# 55 Klocker @ 08/10/10 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaGigolo
I take offense to the idea that if you do not like playing 1hr games then you are a noob. I have a wife to spend time with and a son to play with. Starting tomorrow I will also have papers to grade, quizzes to make, lessons to plan. I simply do not have 1hr everyday to play games.

I LOVE the feature. I personally feel that it is a revolutionary OPTION. I don't quite understand why everyone has gotten so up in arms about something they do not have to do.

For the simple reason that I can play at least one game of franchise every single day and on some days possibly 3-4 games, this is the best football game yet. I feel like a real coach. I am altering my gameplan every game as I learn what does and does not work.

This has turned football gaming from "I really need to try to get a game in this evening if at all possible" to "OK, I am just gonna play one more."
Exactly,.. people calling this garbage and noobs for liking it just sound butt hurt about the game in general and that they created a feature that "appears" to remove some of their skill form the game. They actually did no such thing. they added a robust game PLANNER (the way real "NFL teams play) and retained the option to call your own plays on the fly...you know...just like they did way back in the day.

and yea, having fun games and playing two in the time of one or one in the time of what used to be a half!... is good for people with families and jobs and whatnot.

# 56 kazjason @ 08/10/10 08:38 PM
I think it's a good feature, I think in time most will too if they actually put some effort into using it. People are so afraid of change, but yet cry when not enough has changed. It is everything Ask Madden never was because you can taylor it to the plays YOU want. I'll be looking forward to seeing what Pokerplaya comes up with.

# 57 pokerplaya @ 08/10/10 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazjason
I think it's a good feature, I think in time most will too if they actually put some effort into using it. People are so afraid of change, but yet cry when not enough has changed. It is everything Ask Madden never was because you can taylor it to the plays YOU want. I'll be looking forward to seeing what Pokerplaya comes up with.
I just PM'ed the moderator to find out where I should post the thread. I assume he will have replied by the time I get done setting up my gameplan, franchise, and giving it an initial go. I will be at play for at least the next 12-13 hours, but will break in after every game to post impressions, stats, and gameplan/gameflow information in that thread, wherever it may be.

Thanks for the props, I'm really looking forward to helping make this game great!

# 58 JohnDoe8865 @ 08/10/10 08:58 PM
I have a question for those using the gameplanning and gameflow. Can you set the CPU's gameplan in franchise mode if you control all 32 teams? If so, it would be huge for franchise realism. If not, it's pretty useless for me.

# 59 statum71 @ 08/10/10 11:21 PM
I like it. I like the idea of feeling like each team's coordinator is calling the plays. Especially since I like to play neutral. I play with everybody at different times in my season mode so its great for me.

# 60 TarHeelPhenom @ 08/10/10 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
I have a question for those using the gameplanning and gameflow. Can you set the CPU's gameplan in franchise mode if you control all 32 teams? If so, it would be huge for franchise realism. If not, it's pretty useless for me.

I don't see why you shouldnt be able to. When you are at the pick team screen, just go over and set the gameplan/playbook up and proceed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.