Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

The Los Angeles Times have posted their NBA 2K11 article on the Michael Jordan features, in the game. No new info here, but they do have a few new screenshots.

Quote:
"Fans of the series are going to be thrilled to know that in NBA 2K11 Michael Jordan is much, much more than just a cover athlete," Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports, said in a news release. "We're excited to start talking about the ways that Michael will be used in the game and there's still a lot more to come."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Da-Man @ 08/27/10 05:22 PM
That same shorts length that they are using for the 80's Jordan is the one they should be using for the 92 Bulls team.

# 2 youvalss @ 08/27/10 05:22 PM
Thanks for the article, Steve.

Nice screenshots (calf sleeve on the '86 MJ??!?!?!?!? Should be on his knee). And they forgot to list the 1991-92 Bulls.

# 3 youvalss @ 08/27/10 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Man
That same shorts length that they are using for the 80's Jordan is the one they should be using for the 92 Bulls team.
Totally agree.

# 4 kolanji @ 08/27/10 06:04 PM
hey it looks like everybody wants an article on thier sights about nba 2k11..... looks like a lot of ppl google nba 2k11.i wonder what is the traffic like on the search engines on the web for the up coming game?
thia game is really getting a well deserve buzz around the globe......

as usual it is refresing to hear ppl preview this game with positiveness and excitement......a job well done VC a job well done i say

# 5 youvalss @ 08/27/10 06:07 PM
I'll tell you something. If you look for comments people make about 2K11 around the web, you'll see lots of comments like: "2K only added Jordan and that's it. That's so stupid!". And I honestly can't blame people. Unless you read the NBA 2K11 Insights, go to the 2K forums or go to OS, you may think that 2K11 is all about Jordan and not a single addition to the gameplay. I really hope 2K starts marketing the gameplay itself, rather than the Jordan stuff.

# 6 lakewayking @ 08/27/10 06:10 PM
whoa great pics...they really did a good job on MJ, just fix the shorts and jerseys and its a WRAP

make the shorts less baggy, and for the '90s shorts make them shorter and less baggy.

# 7 ocat @ 08/27/10 06:11 PM
My favorite pic so far, love it.

# 8 youvalss @ 08/27/10 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat

Kobe Bryant is probably thinking: "Look at this guy, he thinks he's the next Kobe Bryant. Those youngsters!"

# 9 DaveDQ @ 08/27/10 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I'll tell you something. If you look for comments people make about 2K11 around the web, you'll see lots of comments like: "2K only added Jordan and that's it. That's so stupid!". And I honestly can't blame people. Unless you read the NBA 2K11 Insights, go to the 2K forums or go to OS, you may think that 2K11 is all about Jordan and not a single addition to the gameplay. I really hope 2K starts marketing the gameplay itself, rather than the Jordan stuff.
I don't think it will hurt perception of this product. I think it's getting pretty clear this game is going to be one of those games many refer back to as a standard-bearer. Think about NBA 2K12 and what they will have to do to propel it past this year's game. The Jordan brand is strong and along with that is what appears to be an excellent representation of him in a video game.

There is a lot going on with this title, and I agree that maybe the casual, non-OSer may not know the other things they are improving on and enhancing, but I just don't see that being a factor in the final purchase. I was worried at first that it would be a Jordan parade to release day but the recent insights are showing that they are also giving the hardcore user something to chew on. For the casual guy, he may think, "Jordan...why?!?" But it won't take long for them to hear or even see what else the game is about.

I just think this game is going to be pretty big across the board.

# 10 chackett12 @ 08/27/10 06:34 PM
games gonna be vicious....

# 11 elprez98 @ 08/27/10 06:35 PM
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree. The word on Facebook (yes, I'm on Facebook) is very positive just about Jordan being added. This if from kats my age (slightly over 30) who haven't touched a video game since PS2. Its really big in my circle of professionals, who dubbed themselves, "too old" or "too sophisticated" to play video games. Many of them, will buy it, for their kids enjoyment only.

Besides, I think it safe to say its a pretty big deal when the Los Angeles Times writes a story about the game.

# 12 youvalss @ 08/27/10 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I don't think it will hurt perception of this product. I think it's getting pretty clear this game is going to be one of those games many refer back to as a standard-bearer. Think about NBA 2K12 and what they will have to do to propel it past this year's game. The Jordan brand is strong and along with that is what appears to be an excellent representation of him in a video game.

There is a lot going on with this title, and I agree that maybe the casual, non-OSer may not know the other things they are improving on and enhancing, but I just don't see that being a factor in the final purchase. I was worried at first that it would be a Jordan parade to release day but the recent insights are showing that they are also giving the hardcore user something to chew on. For the casual guy, he may think, "Jordan...why?!?" But it won't take long for them to hear or even see what else the game is about.

I just think this game is going to be pretty big across the board.
Those casual non-OSers are the majority of gamers. Unless there are like 1 million members + non-members who go to OS.

Let me ask you this: If all you knew about the game was that is has Michael Jordan and some old stuff, would you pay $60 for it if you're not a big Jordan fan?

# 13 youvalss @ 08/27/10 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
I'm going to have to disagree. The word on Facebook (yes, I'm on Facebook) is very positive just about Jordan being added. This if from kats my age (slightly over 30) who haven't touched a video game since PS2. Its really big in my circle of professionals, who dubbed themselves, "too old" or "too sophisticated" to play video games. Many of them, will buy it, for their kids enjoyment only.

Besides, I think it safe to say its a pretty big deal when the Los Angeles Times writes a story about the game.
I'm not saying Jordan doesn't matter, I'm just saying that I read a lot of comments by people who think this game is all about Jordan and that it's not enough for them to pay $60. I can't say they're totally wrong, if that's the info they have about the game.

# 14 CaCHooKa Man @ 08/27/10 06:39 PM
hopefully the kobe VIs are in the game

# 15 elprez98 @ 08/27/10 06:45 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying Jordan doesn't matter, I'm just saying that I read a lot of comments by people who think this game is all about Jordan and that it's not enough for them to pay $60. I can't say they're totally wrong, if that's the info they have about the game.
I think you are missing the point of the marketing strategy. They aren't the little guys in this genre anymore. They unfortunately, cannot market based on the fact, "we make a better game" anymore. They now have to market with bells and whistles. So although, they are making upgrades to the game, that can no longer be the driving force to make people buy the game. Like or not, as the new leader of basketball gaming, they have to market like EA used to. They have to have a WOW factor, and there is no bigger WOW factor than MJ. Next year, they'll have the axis of evil (Miami) on the cover, mark my words.

# 16 youvalss @ 08/27/10 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
I think you are missing the point of the marketing strategy. They aren't the little guys in this genre anymore. They unfortunately, cannot market based on the fact, "we make a better game" anymore. They now have to market with bells and whistles. So although, they are making upgrades to the game, that can no longer be the driving force to make people buy the game. Like or not, as the new leader of basketball gaming, they have to market like EA used to. They have to have a WOW factor, and there is no bigger WOW factor than MJ. Next year, they'll have the axis of evil (Miami) on the cover, mark my words.
I'm not saying MJ shouldn't be big part of the marketing. I'm saying that for many people it's all about that, and the perception is that "2K didn't make the game better or anything, all they did is getting Jordan. I'm going with Elite this year. Real time physics all the way baby!!!"

Not to make it a "vs" thread, of course, but there are many people out there who care about gameplay but don't know anything about the gameplay in 2K11, and all they hear about is "Jordan this", "Jordan that". Sure, 2K had to create a big boom around the game - and Jordan is there for it. But, again, there are many gamers who want the best gameplay and all they know is that Jordan is in the game and that's it.

# 17 yungflo @ 08/27/10 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat

lol at that person imitating pau gasol. who is that guy? #16

# 18 elprez98 @ 08/27/10 07:07 PM
Quote:
But, again, there are many gamers who want the best gameplay and all they know is that Jordan is in the game and that's it.
Again, that's not the casual gamer. That section of the population of basketball gamers, is no bigger than this section here at OS. NBA 2k10, I believe, was the #1 selling game in October 2009 (across all platforms), because Kobe was on the cover. Plus, EA is not confidently marketing Elite as a comparable option this year. Not on OS, and not anywhere else. You have to give credit where credit is due. 2k marketing guy, Ronnie, has done an amazing job over the last three years to maintain a presence on FB/Myspace/Twitter and the 2k website itself. It is no accident that you are hearing more about 2k than Elite this year.

# 19 yungflo @ 08/27/10 07:13 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying MJ shouldn't be big part of the marketing. I'm saying that for many people it's all about that, and the perception is that "2K didn't make the game better or anything, all they did is getting Jordan. I'm going with Elite this year. Real time physics all the way baby!!!"

Not to make it a "vs" thread, of course, but there are many people out there who care about gameplay but don't know anything about the gameplay in 2K11, and all they hear about is "Jordan this", "Jordan that". Sure, 2K had to create a big boom around the game - and Jordan is there for it. But, again, there are many gamers who want the best gameplay and all they know is that Jordan is in the game and that's it.
the casual gamer doesn't think that way. Sim players are not casual gamers

# 20 killah13600 @ 08/27/10 07:15 PM
idk why ppl keep saying... "shorts too baggy" like damn wtf u want tight like leggins?? damn it look good too me

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.