Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

IGN has just posted their MLB 11 The Show preview. They talk about the new analog controls, balks and more control.

Quote:
"The Show 11 features analog control for batting, pitching and fielding, which basically means every major mechanic in the game is controllable with the right analog stick. For batting, you'll pull back the right stick to begin the backswing and then push it forward to swing through a pitch. You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will automatically adjust to pitch height for you. To check swing, just let off the stick before pushing it all the way up.

Pitching works like a combination of batting and fielding. You'll still pick the pitch type with face buttons then use a cursor to adjust pitch location. Once you're ready to throw, you'll set and go into your windup by pulling back on the stick and then push it forward, either favoring the left of the right side of the plate to shade the pitch a little more. Setting before you pitch is more important in The Show 11. Sony has included balks for the first time in the series, so don't try to quick pitch with runners on base."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 thaSLAB @ 12/16/10 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffster
I don't understand the term "analog" in this context. How is the stick part of the controller "analog" in comparison to pushing buttons?

Also, are there actually people that like listening to Eric Karros? If so, that baffles me.
It is analog because it is a variable input, as opposed to on/off input. Although, it is somewhat an oxymoron with the DualShock controller, because the buttons are actually pressure sensitive (so pretty much like "analog buttons") LOL

As far as Karros goes, I think people are comparing him to Hud, so it definitely looks better by comparison.

"He was about to go after that one tooo!"

"...hang wit em"

LOL, maybe we should start a Rex's Greatest Quotes thread in his memory?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 122 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
What are you waiting for amigo! Swing the bat!

# 123 42 @ 12/16/10 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB

"He was about to go after that one tooo!"

"...hang wit em"

# 124 Joey @ 12/16/10 11:38 PM
In comparison to Hudler? Heck yeah. At this point I'd rather listen to my mother-in-law babble than endure another season with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffster
Also, are there actually people that like listening to Eric Karros? If so, that baffles me.

# 125 LastActionHero @ 12/17/10 05:01 AM
My question is, now that we know how to throw to the cuttoff man with analog controls, will we finally be able to call in or call off the cutoff man after a throw.

If that's the case my checklist is almost completely crost

# 126 acts238shaun @ 12/17/10 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Sony's also revamped Road to the Show mode for players interested in creating their own rookie and shepherding him from the farm leagues to the World Series. In earlier versions of the game, you'd rank up by earning points completing manager objectives like not striking out for a certain number of consecutive at bats. Sony decided these objectives were redundant (Does anyone ever try to strike out in an at bat?) but also didn't give players enough credit for good things they'd do that might not have translated into a base hit. This year Sony is implementing a "Good at Bat" system for players to earn points. An at bat where you force the pitcher to throw seven or eight pitches before flying out is considered a successful at bat that earns you points. As a pitcher, you'll get more points for getting a batter out in a couple of pitches rather than keeping them at the plate for eight pitches and then having them hit a fly out to the warning track. The goal is to have players always feel like there's some small point value at stake rather than the old list-heavy approach. Also expect more points from the start so the player you create won't have to be quite so incapable as a rookie.
This plus the ability to adjust the type of player I want to be makes RTTS look unbelievable. Add the custom batting camera and analog and this became a 1st day buy, which I don't do anymore. Great job SCEA!

# 127 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
My question is, now that we know how to throw to the cuttoff man with analog controls, will we finally be able to call in or call off the cutoff man after a throw.

If that's the case my checklist is almost completely crost
What I'd like to see additional to the throw to cutoff button, is the ability to manually cut off a throw also. Throw to whatever base (RF/CF to 3B or Outfield to Home) and if you see your not going to get the out you can manually cut it off to go elsewhere or just hold.

# 128 nemesis04 @ 12/17/10 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
What I'd like to see additional to the throw to cutoff button, is the ability to manually cut off a throw also. Throw to whatever base (RF/CF to 3B or Outfield to Home) and if you see your not going to get the out you can manually cut it off to go elsewhere or just hold.
I could see manually cutting off throws on plays at home but not at bases only because of the trajectory of the throw from the outfield to the base. I think it would be hard for the cutoff to be in the right place because realistically the outfielder is throwing it over the cutoff mans head. On plays at home the trajectory is more manageable to cut off because of where they are playing in the infield before the ball reaches home. It would be helpful for those throws that bounce all the way home with no oomph behind them.

# 129 LastActionHero @ 12/17/10 12:53 PM
I agree that this situation is mostly used during throws at the plate but also (for example) if a runner is on first base and wants to advance to third on a hit to rightfield. In this scenario, with for example Ichiro, you try to gun the runner down on third but you see the batter trying to make a run for second it would be good to cut the ball off

I've used this quite alot in MVP where this was possible!

# 130 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I could see manually cutting off throws on plays at home but not at bases only because of the trajectory of the throw from the outfield to the base. I think it would be hard for the cutoff to be in the right place because realistically the outfielder is throwing it over the cutoff mans head. On plays at home the trajectory is more manageable to cut off because of where they are playing in the infield before the ball reaches home. It would be helpful for those throws that bounce all the way home with no oomph behind them.
Most occur going home but there are some from RF to 3rd. Not many from CF to 3rd though. From what I rememebr anyways.
In any case I'd still love to have a manual cutoff and then the accuracy of original throw even mean more in case where you do want to cut it but it's offline-high..etc.. Mainly due to if you do want to try and gun someone you have to throw through for better chance but after the throw you may see..crap not going to happen..OR see another runner going around and decide to cut it. Right now it's all or nothing.
If I explained it right.

# 131 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 03:31 PM
I have a question about balks. I had mentioned (I believe last year) about balks and implementation of them.
Is balks ONLY if you quick pitch or can you actually balk making a move to first? I think the way I explained it last year was you could pick a pitch and when throwing home you could still throw to first up to a point in delivery where your motion(leg) was going towards the plate. The closer to that point(and pitcher rating) the better chance of a pickoff but go past that point and it's a balk. Could also be dependent on umpire at the time ???

Anyways just a thought and maybe since we have the meter we can have that added later if balks when going to a base are not in.

# 132 stealyerface @ 12/18/10 09:47 AM
With regards to Analog throws, and lets use a throw from the SS to 1B as an example, will you have to not only load the strength of the throw by how long you hold the Rstick towards the base, but will there also be off-line throws predicated by not pushing exactly to the 3 o'clock position as well?

Meaning, the throws can be offline by both inputs of the R-stick ala a previous baseball game with analog throws??

If this is indeed the case, then defensive replacements late in the game may play a huge role in the decision making process based on how big the sector of "pie" is for that player's accuracy.

Let's suppose that the R-stick is mapped as a clock. Three o'clock represents the perfectly accurate throw to first base. Let's also suppose that each player has a "wedge" of accuracy based on his ratings, so higher rated players would receive a bigger wedge, thereby making the throw fairly accurate for a few degrees either side of three o'clock. Lower rated players would have to be much more accurate and careful with their throws, as the "wedge of distinction" would be smaller and less forgiving.

So the defensive player (us) would have to pre-load, load the throw in a vertical axis for strength, and a horizontal axis for accuracy.

If this is the case, I am a pretty happy dude.

Next Analog question. With regards to pitching and the "rock and fire" of a non-mentioned game, I love the idea of pressure sensitive pitching, and for a fastball, it makes great sense.

Now, for offspeed stuff, lets say you want to throw a 12-6 bender on the outside black and at the knees. You aim with the cursor for your spot, and begin the motion with pulling the stick back. Now, assuming you are using the pitcher's view, the aiming spot on the meter will be at maybe 11 o'clock on the motion. Will pushing the stick faster towards the mark on an off-speed pitch result in more break on the ball as you are "snapping" the wrist harder to really break off the bender? Will a nice, easy motion towards the mark result in more of a get-me-over curve with less break, but a more accurate result?

This is shaping up, at least theoretically, to have a lot of control in the player's hands, and I am very excited about the game's outcomes being more determined by the user than by the programming.

Can't wait!
~syf

# 133 Blzer @ 12/18/10 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Outfielders are taught/trained to throw through the cutoff man and potentially long-hop the base they are throwing to, regardless of the distance. I understand there are a few exceptions to this standard (and some players make full exceptions out of it), but they should have a chance with it most of the time, I suppose.

# 134 Blzer @ 12/18/10 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I have a question about balks. I had mentioned (I believe last year) about balks and implementation of them.
Is balks ONLY if you quick pitch or can you actually balk making a move to first? I think the way I explained it last year was you could pick a pitch and when throwing home you could still throw to first up to a point in delivery where your motion(leg) was going towards the plate. The closer to that point(and pitcher rating) the better chance of a pickoff but go past that point and it's a balk. Could also be dependent on umpire at the time ???

Anyways just a thought and maybe since we have the meter we can have that added later if balks when going to a base are not in.
I just wanted to throw the balk system out there that was in Interplay Sports Baseball 2000 (PSX). It really only occurred on pitches when you lifted up your leg and went toward a bag, like second or first if you're a lefty, and it was all timing based. If after some time you try and make that move, it will be too late and a balk will be initiated (probably because you cross that imaginary line which umpires deem appropriate for calling a balk, even though that's not the actual rule haha).

# 135 nemesis04 @ 12/18/10 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
With regards to Analog throws, and lets use a throw from the SS to 1B as an example, will you have to not only load the strength of the throw by how long you hold the Rstick towards the base, but will there also be off-line throws predicated by not pushing exactly to the 3 o'clock position as well?

Meaning, the throws can be offline by both inputs of the R-stick ala a previous baseball game with analog throws??

If this is indeed the case, then defensive replacements late in the game may play a huge role in the decision making process based on how big the sector of "pie" is for that player's accuracy.
Correct!

Quote:
Let's suppose that the R-stick is mapped as a clock. Three o'clock represents the perfectly accurate throw to first base. Let's also suppose that each player has a "wedge" of accuracy based on his ratings, so higher rated players would receive a bigger wedge, thereby making the throw fairly accurate for a few degrees either side of three o'clock. Lower rated players would have to be much more accurate and careful with their throws, as the "wedge of distinction" would be smaller and less forgiving.

So the defensive player (us) would have to pre-load, load the throw in a vertical axis for strength, and a horizontal axis for accuracy.

I believe strength and accuracy would be determined in your movement of the right stick towards first. With strength filling up as you moved the right stick towards first. The length at witch you held it there would determine how much strength. I believe your initial move with the stick towards the base would snap shot your accuracy of the throw. Ramone said there would be a tutorial on this later on. I am speculating on some of this based on the previews.

Quote:
Next Analog question. With regards to pitching and the "rock and fire" of a non-mentioned game, I love the idea of pressure sensitive pitching, and for a fastball, it makes great sense.

Now, for offspeed stuff, lets say you want to throw a 12-6 bender on the outside black and at the knees. You aim with the cursor for your spot, and begin the motion with pulling the stick back. Now, assuming you are using the pitcher's view, the aiming spot on the meter will be at maybe 11 o'clock on the motion. Will pushing the stick faster towards the mark on an off-speed pitch result in more break on the ball as you are "snapping" the wrist harder to really break off the bender? Will a nice, easy motion towards the mark result in more of a get-me-over curve with less break, but a more accurate result?

This is shaping up, at least theoretically, to have a lot of control in the player's hands, and I am very excited about the game's outcomes being more determined by the user than by the programming.
Theoretically if you put more effort behind the pitch you should get more snap to it.

# 136 AtlBraves09 @ 12/18/10 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface

Can't wait!
~syf
-As far as defensively, it is my understanding that this is how it is supposed to work. I think the bobbling or actual fielding errors will still be somewhat random depending on fielding ability. What I like is that a user's error with the right stick could cause a very good fielder to have a bad fielding percentage just because of their inability to use the stick correctly.

# 137 countryboy @ 12/18/10 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enice128
Can anyone confirm announcers yet? The original post mentions the addition of Karros with Matt V but the trailer has Buck, Flaherty etc. How could they put in trailer if not in final game?
the announcers are Matty V, Dave Campbell, and Eric Karros. The voiceovers in the trailer are there for marketing purposes. And they can put them in the trailer and not the final game, because its marketing.

# 138 Polo Bandit @ 12/18/10 10:26 AM
I hope the analog hitting isn't like the college MVP game that came out a few years back. I hated that.

# 139 nemesis04 @ 12/18/10 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Bandit
I hope the analog hitting isn't like the college MVP game that came out a few years back. I hated that.
What did you dislike about it?

# 140 stealyerface @ 12/18/10 10:29 AM
I loved it. If you held back too soon, the controller buzzed and your guy was all out of whack with his tempo.

If you waited too long, you flailed miserably at the ball and were late with the swing.

When you timed the cadence to a smooth pull, hesitate, and swing through, the contact was so rewarding, it felt like you earned it.

Plus, if you don't like it, just play with the buttons.

syf

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.