Home
Madden 12 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson interviewed Ian Cummings, as they discuss the recently announced surprise onside kicks and tuner sets, coming to Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
Jon Robinson: You mentioned the tuner sets that will be in "Madden NFL 12." Can you explain how that addition will benefit gamers?

Ian Cummings: Anytime there's a bug or an exploit after launch, the majority of time you have to patch it. And doing a patch or a title update requires approvals and you need to resubmit the game. The whole process usually takes about four-to-six weeks to turnaround, from the day you make your fix to the day it gets out to consumers. But with tuner sets, it's not every little piece of code. These are small pieces of data that we are able to update in real time. We can do a little bit of testing on our end, then push it out right away. If you think about how roster updates work, that's the way a tuner set would work. Instead of waiting on the turnaround of the approvals, we can apply the fix right away. If there's any type of problem where there are too many fumbles or the offensive line isn't blocking right, tuner sets are perfect because you can make the change, get it in the game in a couple of days, and then gauge the reaction from that and make changes accordingly. It really allows you to go back and forth with the community and make the game better for everyone."

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jeremym480 @ 02/09/11 05:44 PM
So.... surprise onside kicks are now limited to one per game. interesting.

Also, I'm still wondering if the CPU will attempt these. Anyone know?

# 2 davidd @ 02/09/11 06:05 PM
Thats cool, I guess they had to limit it or else you would have had people flaming his twitter in massive droves whining about cheezing.

I personally can't wait to hear what they have to say about online franchise. I have never joined or had one yet because I didn't feel like it was up to the level that it needed to be to spend the time on it.

# 3 sniperhare @ 02/09/11 06:27 PM
I'm hoping we finally get the ability to edit draft classes and players (including being able to edit height and weight, and for that to matter) and for Madden to have a working practice squad and IR so we can have accurate rosters.

They also need to fix FA and the franchise tags, so teams get extra draft picks like they do in the NFL. After all "If it's in the game, it's in the game."

# 4 PGaither84 @ 02/09/11 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Cummings
[...] If there's any type of problem where there are too many fumbles or the offensive line isn't blocking right, tuner sets are perfect because you can make the change, get it in the game in a couple of days, and then gauge the reaction from that and make changes accordingly. It really allows you to go back and forth with the community and make the game better for everyone.
Well, I would hope that after having a talk about it here on OS after madden 12 comes out, we could actually help EA tune All-Pro to be more simulation style instead of having to resort to slider sets.

# 5 khaliib @ 02/09/11 07:14 PM
Why not give gamers access to edit or create threshold sliders for these things that gamers can tweak to their liking? Otherwise, the same thing that happen to NCAA will happen to Madden in regards to the Tuners.

The truth is that there are too many perspectives about what is realistic and there really is not a middle ground the game can be tweaked to.

Look at gamer response at the "Under The Hood" editing NBA 2k11 gives.

Just build the game as you normally would and set such threshold sliders as default and let gamers decide.

Man, at some point EA will need to stop trying to break through the wall to get to perfection (no video game can be) and just provide the tools so gamers can go over or around that wall to achieve the best gaming experience for themselves."

Oh, well!!

# 6 a walrus @ 02/09/11 08:12 PM
I believe this whole tuner set thing is just another gimmick. They normally are called sliders. Its a very early out in my opinion. You want more surprise onside kicks..well here's another tuner set..Less fumbles well here's another one. A better game > you'll have to wait till next year , sorry. My only hope is that Ea continues to be exposed. That they drop the hold on this NFL license and let a better team come and develop a real representation of this sport. A decade of underachievement...Well at least they introduced the vision cone a couple years back....

# 7 countryboy @ 02/09/11 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a walrus
I believe this whole tuner set thing is just another gimmick.
Did you by chance play NCAA '11 or NHL '11? If so, then I don't see how anyone could call tuner sets a gimmick. Both games benefitted significantly from tuner sets over the course of the games life. NCAA especially, since I witnessed first hand how much better the game got from start to finish, most of that due to tuner sets.

# 8 roadman @ 02/09/11 09:28 PM
Tuner sets are great news folks, especially if you are familiar with NCAA. Onside kicks was just an appetizer of what is to come.

We already knew they weren't touching franchise mode and I wouldn't expect any game play/presentation news.

Looks like we find out in a month or so a bit of new info.

# 9 Aggies7 @ 02/09/11 10:07 PM
I am surprised with the Keisel beard talk all week, EA didn't pick up on that and add ability to adjust your players facial hair during playoff run. Haha

# 10 N51_rob @ 02/09/11 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Did you by chance play NCAA '11 or NHL '11? If so, then I don't see how anyone could call tuner sets a gimmick. Both games benefitted significantly from tuner sets over the course of the games life. NCAA especially, since I witnessed first hand how much better the game got from start to finish, most of that due to tuner sets.
I like the tuner sets in NHL. I really didn't like the way they implemented them in NCAA. I honestly felt like they were an afterthought. I mean when did the last one come out? There hasn't been a peep from those guys in Months. I would've thought we could've got something around the BCS championship game. I love NCAA 11 and am still in 2 OD's but NCAA is far from perfect and could've used an aditional tuner or two IMO.

I also like how in NHL you can choose which tuner set you want to use. I don't understand how that can be in one game and not another? That NEEDS to be an option in Madden 12.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

# 11 TracerBullet @ 02/09/11 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I like the tuner sets in NHL. I really didn't like the way they implemented them in NCAA. I honestly felt like they were an afterthought. I mean when did the last one come out? There hasn't been a peep from those guys in Months. I would've thought we could've got something around the BCS championship game. I love NCAA 11 and am still in 2 OD's but NCAA is far from perfect and could've used an aditional tuner or two IMO.

I also like how in NHL you can choose which tuner set you want to use. I don't understand how that can be in one game and not another? That NEEDS to be an option in Madden 12.
I'm with you on this whole post. They are definitely not a gimmick though no matter how you put it. Especially when you look at the abundance of people who complain about patches taking too long.

# 12 roadman @ 02/09/11 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Especially when you look at the abundance of people who complain about patches taking too long.
Bingo, I didn't even think of that end of it. Better customer relations to fix things quickly.

# 13 kehlis @ 02/10/11 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
wait theyre not touching Franchise mode AGAIN? They didnt touch franchise mode last year are they really not doing anything with it 2 straight years? If so then its an automatic no buy for me.
I could be wrong but I think he was referring to the fact that we knew they wouldn't be mentioning anything about franchise in the halftime blog.

# 14 roadman @ 02/10/11 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I could be wrong but I think he was referring to the fact that we knew they wouldn't be mentioning anything about franchise in the halftime blog.
Kehlis is correct. No need to start a panic. Ian already said in a tweet franchise news down the road.

Yeah, sorry Jersey, I could have worded that better.

# 15 H to the Oza @ 02/10/11 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
lets get the running, passing, blocking, coverage, tackling, hitting, catching right before we start worrying about things like surprise onside kicks. The passing styles and running styles still dont look great, hits and tackles need to look more realistic, coverage needs to be better. Give the defense some attention and make the defenses unique so the Jets 3-4 isn't the same as the Patriots 3-4 which isnt the same as the Steelers 3-4. Make punts and kicks actually blockable every now and then (this is more a problem in NCAA Football since it happens more often in college football instead of the pros).

The things like tuners and surprise onside kicks aren't the things that are going to bring back the hardcore Madden gamer that has been there since the early 90s. The guy who was loyal for so many years who now is tired of shelling out $60 each year for a roster updated gimmick game. NFL players are athletes. The way they move in real life, the speed, athleticism, agility, strength they show is missing from the game. When a guy is running full speed his feet are moving fast, his knees aren't 90 degrees the whole time. When a guy make a cut back its not just plant the foot and he's going the other direction. When a guy goes to make a tackles its not always a dive or suction like tackle where things stop and the guys just fall where they are. It depends on the speed both players are running, the angle, the size of each guy, the strength of each guy, does he run through the runner, does he bounce off the runner, does he stand the runner up as they fight for yards, does he wrap and roll, does he wrap and drive him down, does he just destroy the guy. You dont get real tackles in the game.

Get the football part of the game right and win back the fans and then you can worry about things like surprise onside kicks.
Truest post I have ever seen on OS... kudos for pointing out flaws that inhibit realism. couldnt agree more!!

# 16 DavonBrown @ 02/10/11 02:13 AM
Surprise onside kicks? They overlook the critical issues and add surprise onside kicks? And if you look at the video, the kick didn't even look realistic. Their was no contact or interaction between players and players didn't even run towards the football.

If you want to make special teams play a bigger part in the game just fix the blocking on returns and make it possible to block kicks. If you want to add some shenanigans just add some new trick plays, bobbled snaps, etc.

You complain about disk space, but you leave out important aspects of football that we see everyday(height and weight matters, realistic WR/DB interaction, realistic OL/DL interaction, realistic tackling, coverage, tendencies, jump balls, etc) and decide to waste space to add something that we see once per season. EA Sports makes zero sense to me.

# 17 taboo102 @ 02/10/11 02:59 AM
I have high hopes for Madden 12 because the slogan "True to the game" (I think that's what it was) is a lot more hopeful than last years slogan (which had the word "simpler" in it) I'm also hoping that NBA 2k11 was a wake up call to the Madden team that they are the only ones half-assing it, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed.

# 18 Vikes1 @ 02/10/11 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Did you by chance play NCAA '11 or NHL '11? If so, then I don't see how anyone could call tuner sets a gimmick. Both games benefitted significantly from tuner sets over the course of the games life.
I agree 100% CB.

Tuner sets imo also, are certainly not a "gimmick".

I have no experience myself with the NCAA game. But have played NHL religiously for the last two years. And I agree that the tuner sets helped nicely, to refine NHL's game play. And it is a great benefit, to have the choice of tuners that you personally prefer. With NHL '11'...there are eight different tuners to chose from. So the variety of tuners is very welcome.

If done well...I think tuner sets will be a very nice addition to Madden '12'.

# 19 guaps @ 02/10/11 06:03 AM
I don't really see any of these as being features.

The tuner sets are essentially just a new and faster way for the developers to correct things they should have done in development - nice, but a bigger deal for EA than for the consumers, IMO.

Surprise onside kick is just a new addition to the playbook, which is hardly a feature by any means. That'll be like calling a play-action pass or a fleaflicker for a feature instead of a play.

Also what's the deal with limiting it to one time per game?? It that EA's new approach? "Sorry, but in Madden 12 you can only throw 14 deep balls per game and 7 times in the flats, otherwise people might exploit the game." I'd settle for some adaptive AI that recognizes that people are using "surprise" onside kicks--can't really call it a surprise if people use it once per game anyway.

# 20 roadman @ 02/10/11 08:04 AM
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tuner sets are huge for the consumer as well. If running backs are only avg 3.2 yds per carry across the board, tuner set time. I'm a big stat person and I respect everyone's opinion, but for me, the stat nut, this a huge feature.

Also, just because they release info in small amounts early on, doesn't mean there isn't something that looms larger, game play, presentation and franchise wise down the road.

Some people are trying to compare SOK's to what's behind door #1, door #2 and door #3. Pretty difficult to judge when there isn't anything to compare it with.

For example, it's much easier for me to look and compare franchise info in May and put it up against SOK's in early February.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.