Home
Madden 12 News Post

Justin Dewiel, Community Manager of Madden NFL, has made a post on the EA Forums detailing the current status and future of Online Franchise in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
Hey guys, Justin Dewiel, your EA SPORTS Community Manager for the Madden NFL franchise, here with a short update on where we currently are with Franchise mode, and a look at where we’re heading. So many times throughout the year I get the pleasure of revealing features that you, the community, have been asking for.

Revealing our Offline Franchise mode feature set was one of those days. It’s no secret that our Franchise mode was lacking features that our fans expected. This community feedback was the #1 reason behind the renewed focus on Franchise mode in Madden NFL 12. For those of you who missed all of the details on the improvements/additions made to Offline Franchise, you can catch up on everything by clicking here. I feel confident in saying that you’ll be impressed with the experience this year and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Since we revealed the details of the Offline Franchise mode, the most requested question has been, “What upgrades have you made to Online Franchise mode?” We set aggressive development goals for Madden NFL 12 – from the improvements to Offline Franchise and Superstar modes, to the complete overhaul of visuals, addition of custom playbooks, a new collision system, our yet to be discussed Online Communities feature, and more. When it comes to the tight schedule of an annual development cycle, we have to make tough decisions, and it became apparent as we continued to work through our campaign that there was no way to deliver a deep, fully connected Online Franchise experience that you deserve this year. Therefore, there will be no additions to Online Franchise mode in Madden NFL 12.

That said, I can say with absolute certainty that delivering a feature-rich Online Franchise mode is a top priority for the Madden leadership as we move forward. It’s crucial that we transform how and where fans interact with our games and each other. Modes like NCAA Football’s Online Dynasty or FIFA 12’s Football Club are leading the way in building connected experiences, and you can expect that the Madden NFL franchise will aggressively work to meet and exceed your expectations for Online Franchise.

Community is the heart of everything we do at EA SPORTS. We hope you’ve felt represented in everything from the Madden NFL 12 Cover Vote to the new features in this year’s game. Bringing passionate fans together, like you, is the focus of Online Communities feature that we’ll detail on July 25th. We’re excited about sharing more information soon and seeing what you’ll create.

As always, we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 Still2REal @ 07/09/11 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWadd

It's also pretty sad you guys are arguing about TURNS on who should get their game mode fixed first. Are you serious? It's 2011 and the most popular sports game in America is being released, hire enough people to get this done. We shouldn't have to wait every other year and swap out TAKING TURNS on who gets what!!!!! Absolutely pathetic.
This, along with another post by TAzDevil are examples of what I posted earlier. I don't understand how guys can come to the defense of EA for pulling these stunts. The Online Franchise guys sat here and listened to the Offline guys cry endlessly about their desire for improvements and now that they've been thrown a bone, they turn around and side with the purveyor of the same shady tactics that got their mode ignored for 3+ years.

And the band played on....

# 182 roadman @ 07/09/11 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still2REal
This, along with another post by TAzDevil are examples of what I posted earlier. I don't understand how guys can come to the defense of EA for pulling these stunts. The Online Franchise guys sat here and listened to the Offline guys cry endlessly about their desire for improvements and now that they've been thrown a bone, they turn around and side with the purveyor of the same shady tactics that got their mode ignored for 3+ years.

And the band played on....
Wait just a second here, I'm all for everyone getting their fair share and all, but the Offline Franchise guys sat for 6 straight years without any improvements, but online came over on Madden 10. That's fair, isn't it?

No need to pit us vs them, yada, yada, yada, etc........ or even go down that road. The offline franchise folks were promised a bone this year and EA came through. Online franchise folks are promised next year and they will get their bone too.

It's already been said in the future improvements will appear on both sides.

# 183 Still2REal @ 07/09/11 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Wait just a second here, I'm all for everyone getting their fair share and all, but the Offline Franchise guys sat for 6 straight years without any improvements, but online came over on Madden 10. That's fair, isn't it?

No need to pit us vs them, yada, yada, yada, etc........ or even go down that road. The offline franchise folks were promised a bone this year and EA came through. Online franchise folks are promised next year and they will get their bone too.

It's already been said in the future improvements will appear on both sides.
MY point is that we can all get what we want. Accepting anything less is falling into their trap. I'm not telling anyone to refuse to buy the game or anything, but comments like "I don't care about Online Franchise forget you guys" hurts both parties.

# 184 roadman @ 07/09/11 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
The only thing I don't agree with Road is that we have now gotten so used to the madden machine's M/O that if we get ONE area that improves it's like a gift from God. The game needs to be improved in many areas. They fix a few bugs, create some new ones, add a few things in that have been ignored for years and then they expect a big pat on the back. Kind of reminds me of a guy I work with. He is always bitching that he deserves a promotion for just doing his job. He's not very special, doesn't work late ever and never gives it an extra effort, yet he feels he should be compensated like a super star. Now I'm not going to sit here and short change what they have tried to do this year. I really applaud the single player franchise improvements, the gameplay improvements, etc. etc. That's great stuff. However, the product is still grossly incomplete. We pay full price for a product that is missing pieces in the parts bag. I'm going to give offline franchise a shot this year because I have never been able to get past week 3 when I play it. I just can't play the computer because I've been playing the guys on my friends list for so many years, it really has become way more fun. I don't play lobby games or any of that. I strictly play the guys on my list and the guys in my league. It's an incredibly enjoyable experience. There is nothing like competing against another football mind. Not just on the field, but with all of the team management. Haggling over trades, draft picks, etc. etc. It's really really cool.

I'll be honest, since Tiburon always has an excuse as to why they can't get the football right, I'd much rather them fix the gameplay than anything else, but there is no reason why they can't fix the gameplay AND complete the other modes. It's EA for crying out loud and it's a product that makes MILLIONS. Staff the team properly to deliver something of quality to your customer base. There should be plenty of developers working on the separate areas. I really hope that one day a disgruntled employee makes a documentary exposing what really goes on there. I bet there are countless fights between developers and upper management. Hell, I work for a large company and I have my own stories. Sometimes I wish I could spill it to some of our customers... The EA marketing machine should not be worrying about making a game that is TOO good to compel gamers to come back for the following year. If you make it exceptional they will be coming back forever.
You have to understand, though, Taz, that offline franchise folks have been waiting double the time vs online franchise folks for any improvement whatsoever. When I see, one side state "offline franchise guys cry and they get thrown a bone," that kind of talk separates people more than bonding people together and helping the improvement talk going forward.

Just to add to that Taz, I'm pretty sure they are implementing what you and I are asking for. I don't like using the phrase, better late than never, but they are doubling the size of the game play team, physics engine will be addressed in the future(better than not hearing anything on it) and in the future online and offline franchise improvements added simultaneously.

Time will tell, but these suggestions and improvements can't hurt.

# 185 roadman @ 07/09/11 09:33 PM
Quote:
MY point is that we can all get what we want. Accepting anything less is falling into their trap. I'm not telling anyone to refuse to buy the game or anything, but comments like "I don't care about Online Franchise forget you guys" hurts both parties.
I don't think you can isolate people who don't care about Online Franchise, but to say forget you guys, yes, I agree.

I think you need to separate the "I don't care" attitudes and the forget you guys, attitudes, because I don't recall anyone saying forget you guys in here. Maybe I could care less, etc......

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

Edit- I just ran a search in the thread and only two people said, forget you guys, and that was you and I. Sounds like it's a vibe your getting off this thread.

# 186 Still2REal @ 07/09/11 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't think you can isolate people who don't care about Online Franchise, but to say forget you guys, yes, I agree.

I think you need to separate the "I don't care" attitudes and the forget you guys, attitudes, because I don't recall anyone saying forget you guys in here. Maybe I could care less, etc......

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

Edit- I just ran a search in the thread and only two people said, forget you guys, and that was you and I. Sounds like it's a vibe your getting off this thread.
I wasn't trying to provide a direct quote, simply convey the vibe as you stated. In my eyes "I couldn't care less" is a passive-aggressive way of saying "forget you guys". If you couldn't care less, why would you even post on the thread referencing the fact that Online Franchise was not touched.

# 187 Skyboxer @ 07/09/11 09:58 PM
My main issue is:
1: They add in Online franchise mode at last second and say "we knew you wanted it so we threw in a bare bone one for right now" (Or something like that)
2: They don't touch it the next year and use the excuse that "It was the least used mode"..Well no kidding. It sucked.

Basically the lame excuse in #2 just put a sour taste in everyones mouth.

3: Now it remains untouched again but that's ok because...
for what they did for offline. As long as they keep makiing offline better and work on the online mode for next year for those that want it...

It's a game... Not going to let stuff like this stress me out...

# 188 roadman @ 07/09/11 10:26 PM
Quote:
I wasn't trying to provide a direct quote, simply convey the vibe as you stated. In my eyes "I couldn't care less" is a passive-aggressive way of saying "forget you guys". If you couldn't care less, why would you even post on the thread referencing the fact that Online Franchise was not touched.
I see what you are saying, but I just don't get the same vibe you are receiving. I just feel they are stating how they feel, it's not a mode they play.

There are several people in this thread that have said they feel bad it wasn't included and hope it's in next year, including myself. Those comments can't be ignored and do help out both parties.

We are on the same page, just don't allow one or two opinions stand in the way the majority of people have responded.

Support is needed in both areas.

# 189 g2thecore @ 07/09/11 10:29 PM
Just adding to what Roadman said, I can't speak for those saying they could care less about OF not getting touched, but the point I was trying to make is that I can understand the reason why it wasn't. I hear people making arguments about how they should have a bigger team, and more resources etc....I agree with you guys, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

Ultimately, offline franchise wasn't updated for the entirety of this gen of football gaming. At least OF was added in 2010, and you guys got some enjoyment out of it. We're not saying that you guys don't have a legitimate reason to be upset, but I think if you put things into perspective it's really not that bad. In the end, we are all winners. Regardless of which mode you play or enjoy, it all comes down to the gameplay. With the addition of DPP, and the elimination of suction blocking, the gameplay should hold us off till next year when OF gets all the love it deserves.

# 190 JMHSteelers08 @ 07/09/11 10:30 PM
Well this will be the 2nd year in a row I wont buy Madden!!!! But will buy NCAA 2012!!!!! You can make a good franchise mode in college but not Madden!!!! come on now!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 191 Elgin2311 @ 07/09/11 11:27 PM
What ever happened to "if its in the game its in the game"

# 192 ChrisToker @ 07/09/11 11:46 PM
"From there, you'll struggle to find a football game that has come close to the presentation that Madden NFL 12 offers".

I know it's disrespectful to talk about the dead.......BUT as much as you brag about these "ground breaking improvments of presentation" Madden STILL can't shake a stick at NFL2K5. It's almost a decade old.

WOW! EA the evil empire strikes again with making me shell out 60 bucks for sub par game. Before you say "just dont buy it" to me remeber its all WE get for NFL games. Remember a couple years back there improvments included towels on players? And they made a big deal about it! They just recycle the same crap.

Lets just say they have 80% worth of presentation 2K5 had its been a decade now and I should have forgotten that game by now. They should be light years ahead by now. If you guys need ideas to do a decent job making a football game let me know cuz im tired of garbage you guy cam down throats.

# 193 FOREST007 @ 07/09/11 11:49 PM
Isn't their last year with the exclusive license next year? It would only make since that they don't touch it this year and juice it up next year and try and get an extension...just thinking out the box

# 194 roadman @ 07/10/11 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOREST007
Isn't their last year with the exclusive license next year? It would only make since that they don't touch it this year and juice it up next year and try and get an extension...just thinking out the box
No, after this year, they still have another year.

# 195 ChrisToker @ 07/10/11 01:21 AM
And after next year EA will throw another couple billion for exclusive rights. No other developer will be able to compete with that cash. So be prepared for a "Groundhog Day" of endless sub par games, yet you most likely buy do to love of football.

# 196 mestevo @ 07/10/11 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine16
Please stop talking about what you know or don't know. You look silly.

Now you're suggesting you doubt it will over shadow the reveal on the 25th, because why? You suggesting you know what the mode is and what it's going to offer? Just like you said you knew about no Online Franchise upgrades and then changed the way you worded it to fit into the facts.

If you don't know what the reveal is on the 25th then it's even worse because you have no idea what the mode will offer so how can you possibly say you doubt it will over shadow the july 25th reveal.

Seriously, just stop.
There's no point revealing anything on a specific day if it isn't designed to have a marketing impact. This would have (and could still) overshadow that announcement of additions/improvements that are being made to other online modes, getting this out now does indeed help diminish the likelihood of that no matter how bitter people may be today about it.

# 197 ChrisToker @ 07/10/11 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanBarnes
This game is gonna be bad *** new online franchise or not! Lets just take it for what it is and support the new presentation and gameplay. Im jacked for it! To hell with the minor issue. Just enjoy football!
thats the point JORDAN we all enjoy football in my case bleed Orange & Blue. So with EA not showing much of any type of innovation the last decade it frustrating to have to "put up with" just cuz its the only game on the shelf.

# 198 Smoke6 @ 07/10/11 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine16
Please stop talking about what you know or don't know. You look silly.

Now you're suggesting you doubt it will over shadow the reveal on the 25th, because why? You suggesting you know what the mode is and what it's going to offer? Just like you said you knew about no Online Franchise upgrades and then changed the way you worded it to fit into the facts.

If you don't know what the reveal is on the 25th then it's even worse because you have no idea what the mode will offer so how can you possibly say you doubt it will over shadow the july 25th reveal.

Seriously, just stop.
The only reveal is, is that EA supposedly made 2 seperate types of online game types, 1 for the Fair play players with rules restricting cheesey players and customizable setting to help this even further.

Next is the regular lobbies we get each and every year that its more of an "enter at your own risk" as it is now.

I dont think any news besides "Hey, we were joking guys", will do anything to change the way this news have made us feel this week! But if I spoiled something, then I am sorry but this is just "Rumored" and to be taken with a grain of salt.

# 199 Icarus2k9 @ 07/10/11 09:10 AM
The reason I find this news saddening is not just because it lets down a lot of people who salivated at all those offline franchise improvements and then got told they were getting none of them, but also because it goes back to that modular thinking of certain features being abandoned for a year. The kind of thinking that sees features come out with loads of issues and never get expanded upon. The kind of thinking that could see the developer get away with saying "we improved offline franchise last year, so we're now going to leave that alone".

I'm not asking for a 32-player, dream fulfilling experience that makes me breathlessly run home from work to get back on (though I have no problem in getting that). I play Madden with one other guy, and we were just hoping we could share a franchise this year for the first time ever from the comfort of our own homes.

If I remember rightly, the locker feature let you share files in the past? That's all we would need, with the odd meet up once every couple of weeks to run our drafts.

It's annoying because the moment that mode opened up in Madden 10, it was left to rot. It feels as if in a bid to produce iApps and social media portals they produced a model that was gimped from the start. Proper designers would know more than I in this case because I know nothing, but would it have been easier to create a console-based online experience that simply uploaded the latest updates to each machine as and when that person logged on?

# 200 Smoke6 @ 07/10/11 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
@LaFontaine

I understand you are upset and if you feel you need a scapegoat for you frustration then by all means use me as that outlet.

I said on the Madden Roundtable that we didn't know for sure would be done for online franchise....

Because in all seriousness if you don't know something with 100% certainty then you really don't know anything at all, and I'm not in the business of feeding the rumor mill.

When i posted on here in response to the EA announcement, I said I knew online wouldn't match offline. That doesn't mean that I knew nothing would be done. I just knew that online would not be robust as offline. I knew that some folks still hoped to get some of the features over... that is it.

I'm sorry if you see that as dishonesty but both statements say pretty much the same thing. You see if I don't know what/if they are adding to online franchise would you say it would be fair of me to come on here and tell you the wrong thing? Maybe you think I should come on here and tell you they are adding all these features then when it comes out the same as last year I would take a ton of heat. That would have been dishonest of me.

The only thing I knew for certain was that online would not match offline... and that is obviously 100% accurate.

I'm not going to risk my house/car/financial stability to come on here and post something I am not allowed to or misinformation that will make everyone involved look bad.

The exact time when I knew with 100% certainty what was going on with online franchise was about 24 hours before they released the statement to the public.

I hope this clears up any problems you have with your misinterpretation.

If you have any other issues please handle them with me privately via email or twitter instead of resorting to un-warranted personal attacks.
I wasnt expecting Online to match Offline but the lingering issues we all were having with our online franchises that enabled you to do what you have done is all I was hoping for.

Trade logic issues, salary cap issues, playoff tie breaker issues, etc, etc,,,

I wasnt looking for robustness, but a few touches here and there with an android app to boot would have went a long way IMO. The fact that we have been talking about all the "TEAMS" EA has at tiburon that breaks the development into sections, doesnt seem to be that much truth to it at all.

On top of that, they seem to be the only developer who cant push out features thru a patch of some sort. Now its getting clearer that its all about the money as there source for percentages about who play online or not is very inaccurate. I remember at one point you had over 1,000 commishes on your site when it launched (if I recall correctly) may not be that big of a number but hey!

Its amazing how games that need that online component, get it anyway and gets it good. Madden has always been a multiplayer type of experience and will always be, and now they're neglecting that online experience, they should drop the price!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.