Home
Madden 12 News Post

Justin Dewiel, Community Manager of Madden NFL, has made a post on the EA Forums detailing the current status and future of Online Franchise in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
Hey guys, Justin Dewiel, your EA SPORTS Community Manager for the Madden NFL franchise, here with a short update on where we currently are with Franchise mode, and a look at where we’re heading. So many times throughout the year I get the pleasure of revealing features that you, the community, have been asking for.

Revealing our Offline Franchise mode feature set was one of those days. It’s no secret that our Franchise mode was lacking features that our fans expected. This community feedback was the #1 reason behind the renewed focus on Franchise mode in Madden NFL 12. For those of you who missed all of the details on the improvements/additions made to Offline Franchise, you can catch up on everything by clicking here. I feel confident in saying that you’ll be impressed with the experience this year and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Since we revealed the details of the Offline Franchise mode, the most requested question has been, “What upgrades have you made to Online Franchise mode?” We set aggressive development goals for Madden NFL 12 – from the improvements to Offline Franchise and Superstar modes, to the complete overhaul of visuals, addition of custom playbooks, a new collision system, our yet to be discussed Online Communities feature, and more. When it comes to the tight schedule of an annual development cycle, we have to make tough decisions, and it became apparent as we continued to work through our campaign that there was no way to deliver a deep, fully connected Online Franchise experience that you deserve this year. Therefore, there will be no additions to Online Franchise mode in Madden NFL 12.

That said, I can say with absolute certainty that delivering a feature-rich Online Franchise mode is a top priority for the Madden leadership as we move forward. It’s crucial that we transform how and where fans interact with our games and each other. Modes like NCAA Football’s Online Dynasty or FIFA 12’s Football Club are leading the way in building connected experiences, and you can expect that the Madden NFL franchise will aggressively work to meet and exceed your expectations for Online Franchise.

Community is the heart of everything we do at EA SPORTS. We hope you’ve felt represented in everything from the Madden NFL 12 Cover Vote to the new features in this year’s game. Bringing passionate fans together, like you, is the focus of Online Communities feature that we’ll detail on July 25th. We’re excited about sharing more information soon and seeing what you’ll create.

As always, we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 ANDROMADA 1 @ 07/08/11 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
I'm really baffled that after so many improvements to the game, people still expected some major overhaul to be done to Online Franchise. I mean come on. You guys fail to realize how short the dev cycle is for these games. They had to prioritize this year just like every year. And this year was all about DPP and offline franchise. We knew this going in to this development cycle. Why are we acting so surprised, and upset?

It is surprising to me because so much effort was put forth in so many other areas besides online franchise. If there isn't enough "time" to complete a task then management and or ownership should reallocate resources accordingly. This would go a long way toward establishing repeat and referral business with the customer base, increasing shareholders value, and increasing profitability in the short and long term.

# 122 RogueHominid @ 07/08/11 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelz0376
I can't speak for everyone, but I at least expected they would add some simple things like random draft classes or complete stats
For some reason I thought we were told early on that we would in fact have new draft classes with randomized player names and potentials in online franchise. Is my mind playing tricks on me on this one?

# 123 jyoung @ 07/08/11 08:37 PM
At the very least, you'd think by now they'd have corrected the playoff tie-breaker system, which has been wrong for two years now.

In Madden 11, you could still play an entire season, get screwed by the game's faulty tie-breakers, and be left out of the playoffs, where all you and your league commish could do was say tough luck; get ready for next season.

And people wonder why no one plays this mode. You put 3 or 4 months into playing a league and you get screwed out of your experience because the game can't calculate a simple logarithm.

# 124 Still2REal @ 07/08/11 08:39 PM
IT never ceases to amaze me that people still get surprised at the bogus moves made by EA.

I mean these guys pull this "short development" cycle every year and there is never a shortage of people willing to defend them because the idea of an invite to community day is so huge for them...

1) We made Online Franchise Server side so we can add all the features that the fans demand....

3 years later and no changes...

2) Offline is more important than online...

Then why spend so much time on MUT and microtransactions.

3. Fans demanded Offline updates and we respond to fan demand.

Then why did it take this long to add some stuff into Offline franchise that was present years ago.

4. We truly are listening to the fans.

Show me a post where people were begging for MUT or 3 vs 3 play.
Just admit that you folks are out for cash. WE all know revenue is all that matters

5. We made 100+ improvements so we couldn't get to Online

List them all and watch us all laugh in your face

6. The new guy will be the savior he has vision.

WOW never heard this line before. LEt me guess his dream was always to program MAdden and he is committed to producing what the fans demand. LOL, can't wait for the new Twitter account and the cries of how we don't understand his job

7. No one uses Online Franchise.

YEah because it's a joke.

Long story short they are waiting for the last possible moment to implement Online FRanchise just so they can use it an "ace in the hole". I guarantee when it shows up they will have it microtransactioned out where the best franchise cost an extra $15-$20 to run properly. Probably a monthly fee and everything like some WOW game.

WE should all know by now that you get 1 BIG upgrade per year and it's really more like every other year, with some bogus feature in alternating years.

It's all good though..we got 3D grass

# 125 xITSxDAWKINSx @ 07/08/11 08:43 PM
this is such bs. if they were working on a game for a year like they said why doesnt very game mode get worked on. i will be getting madden only because i love football but madden 12 should have been madden 2009 and 2009 should have been madden 2007. it took ea to long to get here. online play is so big now and they dont work on online franchise. one day there will be a better nfl game then maddens and when that happens madden will have to put some real work in

# 126 Smoke6 @ 07/08/11 09:20 PM
Wow is all I can say right now, one of the biggest modes I use is not getting Amy love at all! I swear this has to be a joke, no way they would do something like this. Im going to cancel my pre order and wait for a used copy or something.

# 127 goldstandard @ 07/08/11 09:21 PM
The lack of improvements to Online Franchise after 3 years is absolutely inexcusable. From the time of it's just been a perpetual disappointment. When the details were released for Madden 10, already people saw that the features within OF were lacking. EA covered this by the infamous "we can update to what the community wants" defense, and yet all year nothing was done.

Progress is supposed to be a part of any video game, so when Madden 11 rolled around I (Like many others) impatiently waited for news on the Online Franchise mode that had so much potential and then had the bomb dropped on me that the mode was untouched. This absolutely infuriated me, but I love the NFL and against my better judgment bought the game. (NOTE This is the first year I bought NCAA also and that will be an important point)

Three years ago I was a high school sophomore, and Madden Franchise was in a very early developmental state...In 2 months I'll be a freshman at The Ohio State and Online Franchise will be the exact same thing,and that is inexcusable to every loyal patron the Madden has(d). I dismiss all notions that OF is "Not Used' or that most gamers are still off line oriented. That is simply not true, and even if I assumed the latter to be true it doesn't excuse the biggest part of Madden's online to go untouched.

I find it appalling that every year EA can say "we did so much else the time wasn't there to address it" and just leave it at that, but after 3 years I refuse to take that. Complacency is a terrible thing and, to me that is the trap madden has fallen into, becoming complacent with their product because they know it will still be bought. Complacent is really the perfect word. I won't say lethargy, because i firmly believe that they do believe that their product this year is adequate and an improved experience, however i disagree you can't address something (Off Line)in favor of something else (Online) and call it a success. That effectively means you're doing half your job.

I can't wait for NCAA 12. I enjoy the game play, and can't wait to immerse myself in the deep online and online modes. It saddens me that I can't say the same about Madden this year. I LOVE THE NFL. I love waking up Sundays and trying to find a way to watch my Eagles play (I live in Cali) and listening to Faith Hill pump me for some Sunday Night Football. That's what kept me buying Madden, but I can't justify myself doing that this year. I may rent the game to avoid being the only one in my Xbox live circle without the game, but I will not purchase it. A developer early on in this thread said it's a priority next year, and I really hope that will be the case.

# 128 The Real Ma$$ive @ 07/08/11 09:24 PM
I feel they could've at least added a pre-season to the online franchise. The thing I hated the most was that after you worked hard picking the perfect draft picks to fill holes in your team you didn't have time to test them out, or see what they were working with.

You had to just throw them out there on week 1 which left many of your rookies down the depth chart with no chance to see action until you were like 6-2 and were comfortable seeing what they could do.

# 129 SincerelYourz @ 07/08/11 09:26 PM
2!!##@$@$#$#$#!!!!!

# 130 threattonature @ 07/08/11 09:30 PM
This just made me take my Madden off preorder and go back to NCAA once again. I love Online Dynasty and was extremely excited thinking that Madden had finally made it similar to the offline experience.

# 131 g2thecore @ 07/08/11 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
It is surprising to me because so much effort was put forth in so many other areas besides online franchise. If there isn't enough "time" to complete a task then management and or ownership should reallocate resources accordingly. This would go a long way toward establishing repeat and referral business with the customer base, increasing shareholders value, and increasing profitability in the short and long term.
And you don't feel that the resources were allocated accordingly? I tend to believe that the areas of the game that were improved upon, were in dire need of improvements for quite some time. I know that online franchise being untouched isn't ideal, but it's a necessary compromise at this point. Offline franchise, and presentation have been lacking since the beginning of this gen of gaming. Wouldn't you agree?

# 132 jbd345 @ 07/08/11 09:49 PM
could care less about online play. can't stand some of the stupid stuff people do. aka quitting on you in the 4th quarter. Never played online, never will, just on that reason alone.

# 133 ebugaloo @ 07/08/11 09:55 PM
Quote:
And you don't feel that the resources were allocated accordingly? I tend to believe that the areas of the game that were improved upon, were in dire need of improvements for quite some time. I know that online franchise being untouched isn't ideal, but it's a necessary compromise at this point. Offline franchise, and presentation have been lacking since the beginning of this gen of gaming. Wouldn't you agree?
I wouldn't agree. The Madden team will only see my money when they give me a proper online franchise.

# 134 ebugaloo @ 07/08/11 09:58 PM
Quote:
Oh, and I'll also add that resources were somehow allocated towards useless crap like Ultimate Team and Online Team Play. So, yeah, resources were not allocated accordingly.

# 135 roadman @ 07/08/11 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebugaloo
Oh, and I'll also add that resources were somehow allocated towards useless crap like Ultimate Team and Online Team Play. So, yeah, resources were not allocated accordingly.
Useless to you, money maker for EA. Guess what? They are going with the money maker.

I could care less about MUT or any other DLC, but if people are buying it up like crazy, that's where some of their efforts will go.

It's not about us, it's about the revenue.

# 136 Elgin2311 @ 07/08/11 10:02 PM
Ive never had anyone quit in any of my leagues, I see that happening in online exhibition games. Yes the improvements made were needed, but for a feature get less action than tim tebow is ridiculous... seriously.

# 137 g2thecore @ 07/08/11 10:02 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't agree. The Madden team will only see my money when they give me a proper online franchise.
And that's fine. You have a right to do that. I felt the same way last year when I found out that offline franchise wasn't getting any love either. What I don't understand is why people were expecting them to have time to improve EVERY facet of the game in just one dev cycle. I mean think about. They improved gameplay, they overhauled the presentation aspect of the game, and they rebuilt offline franchise. It would be absurd to expect them to have the time, or resources to make any significant changes to the online portion.

I understand why people are disappointed, but I think a lot of you are very naive if you expected more.

# 138 ebugaloo @ 07/08/11 10:17 PM
Quote:
And that's fine. You have a right to do that. I felt the same way last year when I found out that offline franchise wasn't getting any love either. What I don't understand is why people were expecting them to have time to improve EVERY facet of the game in just one dev cycle. I mean think about. They improved gameplay, they overhauled the presentation aspect of the game, and they rebuilt offline franchise. It would be absurd to expect them to have the time, or resources to make any significant changes to the online portion.

I understand why people are disappointed, but I think a lot of you are very naive if you expected more.
If it gains new customers or saves current ones, EA can and should find the resources. If they lose 1% out of their 6 million yearly customers because of a crappy online franchise, that's $3.6 million of revenues lost. You think they can't find a couple of developers with that kind of dough at stake? To suggest it is absurd to expect an overhaul to online franchise is, well, absurd.

# 139 mestevo @ 07/08/11 10:24 PM
Quote:
If it gains new customers or saves current ones, EA can and should find the resources. If they lose 1% out of their 6 million yearly customers because of a crappy online franchise, that's $3.6 million of revenues lost. You think they can't find a couple of developers with that kind of dough at stake? To suggest it is absurd to expect an overhaul to online franchise is, well, absurd.
Online franchise has always been half baked and underutilized. Just as offline franchise stagnated for a time. It will be improved in time, just not for M12. Those that made due will probably continue to play, despite some of their outrage voiced here, as systemic changes that affect every game played in Madden such as the tackling, most of the elements of the redone presentation, improvements to zone coverage, etc will likely all be enjoyed in online franchise games as well.

I don't think it's reasonable for sales to even take a hit from this, especially due to improvements in other areas.

# 140 Smoke6 @ 07/08/11 10:27 PM
Quote:

Its not just 1 dev cycle, they have had 7 years to get madden near the quality we all hoped it would be at by now. On top of that, I recall them saying that this was the year we would see online franchise mode be significantly upgraded and has been in the works for over 2 yrs now and now we have nothing.

I do not understand the "most unplayed mode" talk that these devs keep saying when I was in atleast 6 online franchises up until a couple months ago and trimmed it down to just 2 as it got busier in my personal life. This is proof that we are indeed getting shafted when MUT gets everything those guys asked for and more.

If EA wants my money, then go ahead and charge for online franchise modes and features, but they better be well worth the price of admission and not just some "beta test" version and then have to shell out the next year for a full featured mode with DLC to keep it fresh and dynamic. But this is just me being mad talking, so dont think too much into that!

I am very upset at this and cant help but to vent about it on all my madden forums. I dont even know what to even think now, maybe its just time to move on. Maybe the casuals have won over the big wigs at EA, i'll just try to get into COD or something like the rest of the guys and just shoot people all day or get back into basketball.

I am very disappointed and I thought and heard that new features could be added in with an update like most other games now days, but EA is not even capable of that.

Now this "is madden building on a broken foundation" is really startin to come full circle now. Im gonna go thru this whole thread and read what the faithfuls have to say now. I am shocked!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.