Home
NHL 12 News Post

These videos are also available on the OS YouTube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Donovan @ 09/06/11 09:59 AM
Man these are crap. Nearly everyone on the Oilers, the last place team, are above 80. Basically everyone but goons are 80, and even the goons are high 70s.

Time for a change EA. I would be all for the ratings that are extremely wide apart (cant think of any specific games I've played that have this, but recall it in a couple basketball games). Make the 4th line guys as low as 50-60 overall, and only the absolute best above 90. CHL players could be in the 20s and 30s, but have drastic improvements from year to year.

Whats the point of a 1-99 scale when every player is above 60? Madden is just as bad.

Sigh.

# 2 adayinthelife @ 09/06/11 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan
Man these are crap. Nearly everyone on the Oilers, the last place team, are above 80. Basically everyone but goons are 80, and even the goons are high 70s.

Time for a change EA. I would be all for the ratings that are extremely wide apart (cant think of any specific games I've played that have this, but recall it in a couple basketball games). Make the 4th line guys as low as 50-60 overall, and only the absolute best above 90. CHL players could be in the 20s and 30s, but have drastic improvements from year to year.

Whats the point of a 1-99 scale when every player is above 60? Madden is just as bad.

Sigh.
I hear ya. I wouldn't say Madden is just as bad though, there's a wider scale in that game it seems. No, it's not as wide as I'd like it, but it beats this one by far.

# 3 Donovan @ 09/06/11 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I hear ya. I wouldn't say Madden is just as bad though, there's a wider scale in that game it seems. No, it's not as wide as I'd like it, but it beats this one by far.
You're right about Madden, I only got 12 couple days ago and haven't had a Madden since 10.

Anyway, just horrible. Would be nice to see a title like NHL, who have been on the forefront of improvement among EA sports titles, continue to be a step ahead and do a revamped player rating that totally goes in another direction, ANY DIRECTION!
Look at Football Manager or the sports sims for a cue on how to spread player ratings.

# 4 adayinthelife @ 09/06/11 10:32 AM
Quote:
You're right about Madden, I only got 12 couple days ago and haven't had a Madden since 10.

Anyway, just horrible. Would be nice to see a title like NHL, who have been on the forefront of improvement among EA sports titles, continue to be a step ahead and do a revamped player rating that totally goes in another direction, ANY DIRECTION!
Look at Football Manager or the sports sims for a cue on how to spread player ratings.
Hell, look at NHL 94 with some players being rated in the 40's...

# 5 JsMcbain @ 09/06/11 11:41 AM
If I remeber well in NHLPA '93 all the ratings were in the book and Shawn Chambers was rated 3.... THREE!!!

# 6 JsMcbain @ 09/06/11 11:42 AM
http://nhlpa93.nhl94.com/teams/tb.php

LOL even worst.... ONE overall

# 7 SGMRock @ 09/06/11 12:25 PM
I hope those rosters have an update very soon. Lots of players out of place on there and the rating seem the exact same as last year.

# 8 Scarbro73 @ 09/06/11 01:17 PM
Get rid of the overall ratings altogether! They're completely arbitrary and mean absolutely nothing. Individual skill attributes are what actually describes a player...

# 9 Simple Mathematics @ 09/06/11 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarbro73
Get rid of the overall ratings altogether! They're completely arbitrary and mean absolutely nothing. Individual skill attributes are what actually describes a player...
This!!! This would make the game much better.

# 10 Simple Mathematics @ 09/06/11 02:46 PM
Quick question... why does Ryan Getzlaf look like he's balding in his picture???

# 11 ChaseB @ 09/06/11 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Quick question... why does Ryan Getzlaf look like he's balding in his picture???
Have you seen Getzlaf? He is balding.

# 12 ruddamucker @ 09/06/11 03:04 PM
Quote:
What you're talking about there is exactly the direction this franchise needs to take.

Every hockey game is different, every game of NHL is the exact same. Hockey is a game of a million individual decisions. Those individual decisions are based off of that players natural skill "attributes" and tendencies. That's why this game is complete **** because everybody tries to do the exact same thing with every player in the game regardless of their attributes.

# 13 bwiggy33 @ 09/06/11 07:08 PM
Quote:

Sigh.
Spoken from a true hockey fan!!!! I'm very happy you said that. I actually don't know if I've ever heard someone say that the players on their favorite team should be rated lower. You obviously know the game. My jaw dropped when I saw that the Oil were an 88 OVR on Offense. This has got to be a joke. No wonder why we don't see enough team separation in this game. The ratings are so rigged it's not even funny. I really want to know how they determine these. I'm actually tempted to edit every players ratings to see if I can find a little more separation between the teams and players.

# 14 bwiggy33 @ 09/06/11 07:18 PM
Quote:
Great point! I hate to keep bringing up The Show in every single thread but they have it 100% correct. A players OVR bar could be half full but they can still be great at hitting, pitching, defense. For example Jim Thome. He's a great hitter, obviously not a fielder. So his OVR bar is just above half way due to his terrible defense. That doesn't affect his hitting though. Each part to the game plays a different role. If they did this for NHL this game would be that much better. All most people worry about is OVR. That shouldn't be the case.

# 15 Donovan @ 09/06/11 08:56 PM
It looks like I wont be starting a Be A GM for at least a month like last year, thats how long it takes me to edit the rosters top to bottom AGAIN. I sort of enjoy it, but the luster wears off a bit.

Stuff that annoys me as well is seeing the Oilers trio of stud blue chip rookies Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi all rated 82, thats just lazy EA. Realistic overalls would be Hall 82, Eberle, 80-81, Paajarvi 79, but with their stats better reflected. I doubt Paajarvi has great skating ability or good two way play, or that Eberle has ridiculous dekeing ability and wrist shot but poor to average skating ability.

Nah, just make them all 82 ovr, thats easier than doing research. I know I use Oiler examples as its the team I follow, but these things are on every roster every year, hence why guys like matt are so busy this time of year.

Oilers I would drop ratings of straight away:
Horcoff 84-83
Gagner 84-82
Hemsky 87-85 (Also lower his injury rating to the minimum)
Gilbert 83-82/81
Brule 82-79 (wont even make opening night roster this year)
Cogliano 81-79/80 (also move him to ANH)
Omark 81-79/80 (still decent potential though, maybe B or B-)
Smid 82-81
Strudwick 81-78
Egar 79-77/78
Hordichuk 79-75/76

Only guys I'd raise:
Jones 80-81 (even then last yr was likely a fluke)

That of course doesnt take into account their actual ratings, but man OVRs are way off.

# 16 bwiggy33 @ 09/06/11 09:32 PM
Quote:
It looks like I wont be starting a Be A GM for at least a month like last year, thats how long it takes me to edit the rosters top to bottom AGAIN. I sort of enjoy it, but the luster wears off a bit.

Stuff that annoys me as well is seeing the Oilers trio of stud blue chip rookies Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi all rated 82, thats just lazy EA. Realistic overalls would be Hall 82, Eberle, 80-81, Paajarvi 79, but with their stats better reflected. I doubt Paajarvi has great skating ability or good two way play, or that Eberle has ridiculous dekeing ability and wrist shot but poor to average skating ability.

Nah, just make them all 82 ovr, thats easier than doing research. I know I use Oiler examples as its the team I follow, but these things are on every roster every year, hence why guys like matt are so busy this time of year.

Oilers I would drop ratings of straight away:
Horcoff 84-83
Gagner 84-82
Hemsky 87-85 (Also lower his injury rating to the minimum)
Gilbert 83-82/81
Brule 82-79 (wont even make opening night roster this year)
Cogliano 81-79/80 (also move him to ANH)
Omark 81-79/80 (still decent potential though, maybe B or B-)
Smid 82-81
Strudwick 81-78
Egar 79-77/78
Hordichuk 79-75/76

Only guys I'd raise:
Jones 80-81 (even then last yr was likely a fluke)

That of course doesnt take into account their actual ratings, but man OVRs are way off.
Your pretty much spot on with those ratings. I really don't understand what EA is thinking when it comes to rating players. On a different note I think I saw that Mattg is making his rosters for 360 this year instead of PS3. I'm pretty excited for that since you can actually convert someone else roster file to get it on your hard drive. I hear he's done a pretty good job with the PS3 rosters.

# 17 cyborgdholliday @ 09/06/11 10:13 PM
Stuart higher than Kronwall... Ha.

# 18 Vince63760 @ 09/07/11 08:16 AM
What's that sheet Stephane Da Costa only have 70 and no picture

# 19 Donovan @ 09/07/11 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince63760
What's that sheet Stephane Da Costa only have 70 and no picture
No offence but how good is a he supposed to be? Taylor Hall was a 74 last yr as a rookie (I believe?), he's not that good. Although the way EA rates people this year I'm surprised he isn't an 80.

# 20 tyler289 @ 09/07/11 11:53 AM
It seems that after the top 3-4 guys for each team EA just makes everyone in the same 80-85 range with the exact same attributes for skating, shooting, checking, everything. There is no roster out of the box worse than NHL's. Really disappointing, again. Going to have to go through and at least edit all the Caps' players to somewhat reflect their true talents.

It'd be nice if they let us share rosters again, but that nice feature has also gone by the wayside.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.