Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

With the MLB 2K series all but confirmed to be dead, Kotaku's Owen Good has posted an article on what MLB 13 The Show must do to keep the fans of baseball gaming happy. It should be interesting, considering a simulation baseball game for the 360 doesn't look very likely.

Quote:
Your long slog through your career in Road to the Show makes the game's threadbare commentary painfully apparent. I think the world of Matt Vasgersian but he is shackled to an outdated commentary engine given to repetition and dead air. Dave Campbell's dialogue library is really showing its age, and a majority of his work sounds like Dave Campbell playing Dave Campbell. Eric Karros should be thanked for his service and sent home. The Show has world class visuals and a smooth, if minimalist, broadcast presentation. The commentary supporting it has not pulled its weight in years.

In your opinion, what does MLB 13 The Show need to do next year to satisfy your baseball gaming needs?

Source - If We Won’t Have MLB 2K to Kick Around Next Year, Here’s What The Show Must Do (Kotaku)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 dallas0112 @ 05/25/12 07:46 PM
Offline create a team and create a stadium. Hook it up B.

# 62 tril @ 05/25/12 07:54 PM
Agree with the article.
Commentary and Presentaion needs an overhaul.
-Intergrate 2ks analog pitching mechanics into the Shows Analog Pitching mechaics. I like the fact that The Shows analog picthing is based on proper gesture and release points. just addd different analog control gestures for different picthcers like 2k
as it stands 2k has the analog piching half right and The Show has it half right.
-give us a number of games played throug a franchise mode. 2k gives us a 29 game, 54 and 162 game option. its about time The show give us this option also. I personally like the managerial aspects of a franchise mode but do not have time to play 162 games, and there are those of us who dont like simming games.

personally the only thing 2k lacked this year was fluidity. THe SHOW is just so fludi compared to MLB2k.

# 63 Sports fanantic @ 05/25/12 09:08 PM
- Have Players ratings change into numbers Ratings

- As a Sound to The Show guy, i would like to have more option to add music like Hitting a Double, Triple , Rally Songs, different various music played for Run Score, and Opponent Mount Visit Music.

- Make Road To The Show similar to NBA 2k Series "My Player" where we can donate money, have press conference after an important game, and actually wanting to make it into the Hall of Fame.

# 64 shadia147 @ 05/25/12 09:17 PM
OK, I can't read every response given so far, But... If I was SCEA, the very first thing I would do with 2K out of the way, would be to lock up exclusive licesnsing with MLB. That's number 1!
Put XBox out of the baseball game. Go for the jugular.
Secondly as many have stated; Rework the commentary.
Thirdly: Work on the Trade Logic and Progression AI. Can always be made better.
Fourthly; As some have suggested, classic stadiums playable in Chise and offline.

# 65 gubunko @ 05/25/12 09:40 PM
This is a small thing, but it's always bugged me. I would like to have the ability to schedule a pinch-hitter before the person I'm pinch-hitting for comes to the plate, just like I can do for pitchers.

So if my pitcher is due up third in the inning, I can go ahead and schedule a pinch-hitter before he comes up to the plate and is announced.

# 66 RM813 @ 05/25/12 09:56 PM
Bob Costas and Bob Ueker would be the perfect TV duo. IMO the best duo in the history of baseball.

Franchises able to build a new stadium. Like the Rays!

# 67 loogs @ 05/25/12 10:10 PM
Player models
They need to be improved. Some players look too fat and the catchers look weird. The equipment doesn’t fit right. Textures could be better. Things look a little too bright and unrealistic. Uniforms look the same on everone that wears the same style pants.
Editing
So much can be done here. Create a stance/ delivery. More shoe models or create a logo. Make the players wear the uniform of the team theyre on when editing. It makes it easier to do colors like team 1,2 and 3. More accessories. Add more stances and deliveries if you cant make a create a stance. We need more flexibility with hair. Give us the ability to make hair as long and as thick as possible. Let us edit real life players hair and facial hair. Sometimes during the offseason they get haircuts or their hair grows, etc. add more names to the databass. I understand that you cant have a player in the game that hasn’t hit the majors but, cant you put the name in the game? Is it illegal to add the name Bryce or Harper to the list? Just add as many names as possible.
Broadcast crew
The best thing that could happen here is to have an all new crew. If that’s not an option then adding more new content is obviously a must. Make the announcing more realistic. Sometimes in a real broadcast, the announcers aren’t talking baseball. It seems so robotic now.
Animations
Keep adding more. This makes the game more enjoyable. Pop ups, slides, throws, strike out, passed balls, etc, etc, etc. the more the better.
Bunting
Bunting needs a major overhaul. Right now its impossible to draw for a bunt and then pull the bat back if the pitch is a ball. Please fix that.

That’s all ive got for now. thanks

# 68 jinc1019 @ 05/25/12 10:49 PM
I admit I have not at all read what has been written thus far, so if I am repeating others...Good...because I think it needs to be said over and over. I love the show, but the franchise mode is so stale that it makes it harder and harder to get into the game. It is VERY similar to what it was back when I played it prior to the ps3 even existing (I have played it every year since and bought a ps3 for this game only).

1.) Franchise improvement. There needs to be a new interface. One of the best things San Diego can do is make it LOOK different, even if nothing else changes (which I hope it does), at least it would feel different. When you play as many games a year, spending as many hours as we all do in that same game, it helps to add a different look and feel to a mode, even if nothing subtantial has changed.

There also needs to be a fresh take on franchise, putting more of an emphasis on customizing your team...Stadium customizations, being able to move the team to a new location, a stadium builder (even if this is a feature that is DLC and costs extra money), REAL CONTRACTS, and more REAL advertising in the game.

Additionally, I think adding STORYLINES to franchise mode would make a huge difference and cinematic events occuring in franchise mode (such as a manager approaching a player after a game or a GM talking to a manager or an underperforming player or a press conference with signed players). These things are A LOT OF WORK, and I know that...but over time, they should all be added to the game.

2.) Expansion mode....All-Star Baseball's expansion mode was great...and there is no reason why this game couldn't have something similar...especially since SCEA already created a great uniform creator for Diamond Dynasty. If all next year's game did was add an expansion mode, it would be a big sell to a lot on these forums.

I love this game, and I continue to buy it, but honestly, without some big improvements to franchise mode, I don't know if I can continue to justify an annual purchase of this game (and there are a lot of people who feel the same way). I am not saying ALL these things need to be there next year, but a few of them should at least and it would go a long way. Honestly, if all these things aren't in the game 3 years from now, I will be pretty disappointed, for whatever that is worth!

# 69 Helios12787 @ 05/25/12 10:56 PM
All I ask for is not having my franchise file go dead 150 games in for nearly a month

Feature wise though, I'd really like to see an overhauled amateur draft.

I would like to see a less tedious system for 30 team control (mostly this would be through improving the AI in general so we have to control less of what the CPU does).

Would love more depth in editing (such as potential, more stances / pitching deliveries, maybe the ability to create them from scratch, or combine a set of pre-set options such as leg kick, speed of delivery, arm slot, etc.

I think it's about time to get more of a locomotion based engine going as far as defense is concerned. There are times that the fielder's are just completely unresponsive and it becomes more like watching a short movie play out when the animations kick in (mostly on hard grounders down the lines or if I am slightly offset on a fly ball and the guy does the OMG IM NOT GONNA CATCH IT... OH WAIT I GOT IT animation). If SCEA were able to bring in a canned animation light engine it would do wonders for baseball games in general. I think this would be something that could push the next-gen to a new level and it is what sports games in general need to do.

If The Show could become that leader when it comes to innovation / progress we would see less of the games (which i won't name so we don't have a flame war) that are just a tad bit different than the previous iteration.

# 70 wisdom less13 @ 05/25/12 11:21 PM
Difference in uniforms. Baggy to actually look baggy. Sleeves different lengths. Being a fitted head, I love what yous did with the hat brims. I basically just want that type of stuff. Option to argue calls, and hire/fire a manager during the season. I just want a difference in uniforms.

# 71 DJ @ 05/25/12 11:28 PM
To draw in a larger crowd, I would like to see:

Sliders be more responsive. We need a larger scale than 0-10. Make it so that those with slower hand-eye coordination can still pull a fastball. On default or higher, the game can be very challenging.

Playoff Mode. For those that don't want the grind of Franchise/Season, or just want to re-create playoffs from years past (would be huge for classic rosters. I can already imagine re-creating the 1986 playoffs) this would be a nice addition.

More stat overlays. MLB 12 did add more, but there's room for additional stats and standings overlays.

Keep the Beginner, Inermediate and Experienced difficulty game settings. I love this about FIFA, as it helps newcomers to the series figure out where to start and gives room for growth.

All the Little Things and overall gameplay will sell The Show. These steps could help sell more.

# 72 BaylorBearBryant @ 05/25/12 11:33 PM
Online team play.

# 73 MC2 @ 05/26/12 12:46 AM
When will The Show get the contract with MLB? So it can do all the stuff with the rosters that 2K can do.

# 74 pokerplaya @ 05/26/12 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Actually, PS3's are down to 299.99 btw..
Yeah, when I got mine, the deal at Gamestop was $250.00 and that included the 320GB HD, Uncharted 3 and a choice of either Arkham City or Mortal Kombat Ultimate Edition... so with The Show it was like $310.00 and tax, walking with 3 games and the biggest HD they make...

# 75 pokerplaya @ 05/26/12 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
$299+$59.99 FOR GAME+$40 atleast for a 2nd controller that is well over $400. Even without the extra controller when you do the 7% TAX where I live it is $380+. Just not worth it for a game that way too many people say they have internet problems with
Thanks for completely ignoring my post.... the online play is actually some of the most stable I've ever seen in any platform, except something like WoW... again, the only time I'm really ever experiencing connection issues is against babies who pull their cord -- and that's prevalent in any online game..

# 76 pokerplaya @ 05/26/12 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by go tribe
Fix franchise - it needs an overhaul

the playoffs are messed up - not just that they don't have the new rules, they don't do HFA the correct way

30 team control is a crutch for them not being able to improve lineup and trade AI

get rid of training or make it more meaningful - or hey, put out a guide as to what each session does to each attribute

get rid of transportation

fix the problems with throws taking forever because a fielder has to finish an animation

add attendance to the box score so you can see if promotions worked without playing the game

get rid of erik karros

give campbell a ton of new lines or replace him

add espn or mlb network presentation - do NOT add chris berman

let us see boxscores in playoff games - wtf is up with that? i JUST noticed that

improve scouting, especially the first year when you can only scout so many players so most of the draft is a crapshoot

allow you to go from one player to another from within the player card screens somehow without exiting out of one player and then selecting another and hitting triangle

adopt the MVP feature that let you cycle through the pitch sequence for each at bat for each batter while they are at the plate, not just the last at bat

give the option to export data to a txt file on a usb stick

give an internet based franchise portal like ncaa (except one that actually works)

improve the player faces -this might have been their worst year yet at this

give us a really nice way to compare two players
I'm sorry but "fix franchise -- it needs an overhaul" ought to be ignored... what exactly needs to be overhauled, its arguably the best franchise mode available in any sports game... maybe some examples?

Training -- when you work out in real life does it print you a detailed list of how your muscles were affected? The on-screen help does let you know exactly what each training session affects, and not knowing exactly how much to train is one of the variables that MLB teams have to deal with. Why would it just be scrapped? Same with transportation -- while I agree that all MLB teams obviously fly, the expenses do belong in an "owner mode." If you want to say that they need to do more to make the business aspects affect the gameplay more (if you're a shrewd GM, you get extra money on your budget for MAKING money) then I would agree with that. My point is that there definitely are some of us out there who really enjoy those aspects.

I agree with a lot of your other ideas, for the record... just hate it when people say "scrap it" to things that a great deal of us get enjoyment out of.

# 77 tlobster12 @ 05/26/12 01:53 AM
What is 2k able to do with the rosters that the show can't do because of not having full licensing with the MLB?

# 78 pokerplaya @ 05/26/12 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Care to share your pitching interface and difficulty level? Legend pulse pitching with consistency at 3 and control at 7 is pure bliss for me - ~60-65% strike rate, realistic whiff totals, and that's with me trying to throw strikes early in the count.
Thank you very much for sharing this here. My pitching walk totals especially were a source of worry going into my franchise, and I only have 9 in 14 games. Wanted to use Pulse as I still want my actions to matter SOME -- this may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

# 79 SDwinder @ 05/26/12 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
Agree with the article.
Commentary and Presentaion needs an overhaul.
-Intergrate 2ks analog pitching mechanics into the Shows Analog Pitching mechaics. I like the fact that The Shows analog picthing is based on proper gesture and release points. just addd different analog control gestures for different picthcers like 2k
as it stands 2k has the analog piching half right and The Show has it half right.
-give us a number of games played throug a franchise mode. 2k gives us a 29 game, 54 and 162 game option. its about time The show give us this option also. I personally like the managerial aspects of a franchise mode but do not have time to play 162 games, and there are those of us who dont like simming games.

personally the only thing 2k lacked this year was fluidity. THe SHOW is just so fludi compared to MLB2k.
No, 2Ks analog pitching is a clunky mess and has no sim qualities whatsoever. Take it from a former pro pitcher, The Shows analog pitching is outstanding and mimics real pitching more than any game has before. Don't mess with it!

There is a lot more to why The Show is MUCH better than 2Ks game than just smooth gameplay. The more you know about baseball, the more you will realize that. No comparison. You need to play much more of The Show, because it is obvious, you play too much of 2K, which doesn't say much about your baseball sense now, does it!

# 80 pokerplaya @ 05/26/12 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
Show me one place where I can get a new PS3 with 100+ drive for $199? Learn to stay relevant instead of trying to tout things and wanting to be correct.
Like every day at Gamestop. If you aren't going to do the research yourself, at least try not to be insulting. That's with a 160 GB HD, a game, and a controller.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.