Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

With the MLB 2K series all but confirmed to be dead, Kotaku's Owen Good has posted an article on what MLB 13 The Show must do to keep the fans of baseball gaming happy. It should be interesting, considering a simulation baseball game for the 360 doesn't look very likely.

Quote:
Your long slog through your career in Road to the Show makes the game's threadbare commentary painfully apparent. I think the world of Matt Vasgersian but he is shackled to an outdated commentary engine given to repetition and dead air. Dave Campbell's dialogue library is really showing its age, and a majority of his work sounds like Dave Campbell playing Dave Campbell. Eric Karros should be thanked for his service and sent home. The Show has world class visuals and a smooth, if minimalist, broadcast presentation. The commentary supporting it has not pulled its weight in years.

In your opinion, what does MLB 13 The Show need to do next year to satisfy your baseball gaming needs?

Source - If We Won’t Have MLB 2K to Kick Around Next Year, Here’s What The Show Must Do (Kotaku)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Rbk @ 05/26/12 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
Show me one place where I can get a new PS3 with 100+ drive for $199? Learn to stay relevant instead of trying to tout things and wanting to be correct.
I got my 160gb ps3 and the show 12 at best buy for 249.99 in April. Just have to look for deals

I then got a vita show bundle at Walmart at the beginning of
May for the same price.

# 82 gigadkc @ 05/26/12 06:04 AM
what I'd like to see: cursor batting, all minor league levels, WORKING roofs in ballparks and more classic teams/ballparks. A mode like Grand Prix mode in PYS would be nice, Diamond Dynasty has to be more like that imo.

# 83 69Yanks @ 05/26/12 07:17 AM
put your own face or other faces using photos with tweaking using the creator.

# 84 Bulls321974 @ 05/26/12 08:29 AM
Oh yeah...almost forgot: "The Show" finally needs cleats by Nike, Reebok, Adidas and so on...

# 85 Yeats @ 05/26/12 08:55 AM
I disagree with the commentary needing more; if anything it needs less. The biggest waste of programming effort in these sports games is all the team and player-specific chatter one has to listen to over and over again every time you play that team. I much prefer the minimalist chatter from sports games gone by like Hardball: calling balls, stikes, outs, etc. And that's it.

# 86 WhiteM5 @ 05/26/12 10:56 AM
The biggest thing would be more options for customization. I'd love to have double the camera options, maybe even a user-defined camera system that I can put anywhere in the stadium.

Would like to see some refinement on the batting physics. This year was a great upgrade. I think they would keep tweaking to make it better.

Keep cleaning up small issues. There are some animations that could be cleaned up (the outfielder throwing motion is weird IMO).

# 87 NAFBUC @ 05/26/12 11:33 AM
S T A T S!

Nice improvment, but in franchise mode, stats are way to meager.

Shout out to our military members, thank you!

# 88 knich @ 05/26/12 01:55 PM
Can we PLEASE cutoff a ball in the outfield...how this is not in a game that promotes the little things (and this is a BIG thing) is beyond me.

Bring over the MLB2k announcing crew..they are great (I say this and I hated Gary Thorne for the NHL series)

Retractable roofs and rain delays (c'mon this was in All Star Baseball)

MLB 2k scouting reports (But don't make us pay for them...all MLB teams in real life have scouting reports on all players)

Broadcast view is still too zoomed

Corner outfielders still play too shallow

MVP Batter's eye

A lot more Franchise stat and situational overlays

Fix the weird helmets in PIP baserunner view. It is evident with teams with light colored helmets (e.g. DBacks, Nationals, etc). Real players and unis would also be nice.

MLB 2k baserunning control system..or at least the ability to control runnners even with autobaserunning enabled

.OBP as a dedicated stat when showing stats after 1st at bat (like avg, HRs, RBIs) Every team in MLB does this..the little things. Please also replace slugging % with .OBP on jumbotrons and stat boards in stadiums. Again..no one excludes .OBP.

Live look-ins/highlights would be great in Franchise

PLEASE give option to start season with 25 man roster if you skip spring training or at least to revert back to starting 25 man if you play spring training

Weather and attendance should be based on historical info..Not sure it is..or if it is it doesn't work real well

Better field degradation..especially during rain games.

More dynamic and responsive stadium crowds..still don't get the right feel of being at ballpark. Rivalry games should have more amp'd crowd than non-rivalry games. Fans should be more excited when big name pitcher is on mound or batter is at plate...as well as big scoring opportunities.

Better distance imaging...Very hard to see stats on scoreboard because focus is on pitcher batter duel. Scoreboards are great if we can read them. For example, can't see stats on scoreboard from home plate at Orioles Park or Yankee Stadium..and I have 1080p HD monitor that is crisp.

# 89 Artman22 @ 05/26/12 02:06 PM
The current commentating team needs to go. They're boring and been in the series for too long. This would give this game a breath of fresh air.

# 90 NIUDAWG @ 05/26/12 02:34 PM
Ok, Where do I begin....?

EA Needs to jump back in the race, I think they can make up some huge marketshare and bring back the swing stick.

Announcers- do one of three things or a combo of the three(and yes I know licensing issues are going to pop up so before anyone starts to hate, I know I know I know) potentially get the Sunday Night Baseball Crew, Buck/McCarver from FOX(Yes I know both are a lil annoying but they are nostalgic) or regional crews (eg Hawk and Steve Stone CHISOX, Len and Bob from the Cubs, Uecker from the Brewers, YES Network, etc) and do something like that depending on the home team? Food for thought.

Minor Leagues and Other Leagues---if EA jumps back in, make MLB like your NHL series, have minor leagues, other world leagues, and international play.

Stadiums; have fields for above leagues, and old time stadiums, possibly make the stadiums unlockable or DLC

Old Time Teams: have old time teams; old yankees, cards, athletics from the late 80s, toronto blue jays from the early 90s, so on and so forth; either unlockable or DLC

Weather: have weather be more an impact on the play

I think if a company was smart, they would put out the "Base Game, sans extras" for $49.99 and sale price be 34.99 when Best Buy runs specials. Make the DLC an extra 20 bucks so now in comparison to most regular PS3/XBOX 360 games it's 10 bucks more, but for those who want the base version its less, its a win/win

# 91 truintellectplaya @ 05/26/12 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplaya
Like every day at Gamestop. If you aren't going to do the research yourself, at least try not to be insulting. That's with a 160 GB HD, a game, and a controller.
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/playstation-3/systems?nav=28xp0,138d-c4

Like show it to me. $250 without the Show and without the extra controller. Show me one site.

# 92 truintellectplaya @ 05/26/12 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplaya
Thanks for completely ignoring my post.... the online play is actually some of the most stable I've ever seen in any platform, except something like WoW... again, the only time I'm really ever experiencing connection issues is against babies who pull their cord -- and that's prevalent in any online game..
You are only 1 person though. Look around on youtube, go to other forums and it is well known that the online play is shaky for this game

# 93 RM813 @ 05/26/12 02:48 PM
Well I got my PS3 160 HD for $130 on craigslist... I beat you all.

I only got it got for the Show and happy I did as I have learned this game and the more I play the more I love it. I already my suggestions of Costas and Uecker. Not only are the good, but Uecker is always funny in the booth.

Maybe get a minor league contract so we do not have to edit all the players in AAA that may get called up.

Allow me to play only 1/2 a season and not all 162 game season. In Franchise I would love to do a shorten season.

There is more but can't think now.

# 94 Marino @ 05/26/12 02:52 PM
Improve on Franchise mode. Other than my team, their is no immersion what so ever in this game.

Give me pre-existing injuries, Top 100 prospects list that changes each year, player roles/personalities so that way top prospects are treated much better in the organization, similar to MLB 2k's franchise give storylines like "Dodgers plan on calling up Zach Lee" or "Cole Hamels to test free agency", basically give more immersion throughout the league.

Add more statistics, revamp commentary (perhaps new commentators?), and sure up trade logic.

# 95 Bobhead @ 05/26/12 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I disagree with the commentary needing more; if anything it needs less. The biggest waste of programming effort in these sports games is all the team and player-specific chatter one has to listen to over and over again every time you play that team. I much prefer the minimalist chatter from sports games gone by like Hardball: calling balls, stikes, outs, etc. And that's it.
This is a little extreme but I have to agree. If I have to hear about Sean Rodriguez's jellyfish, David Price's spot in the draft, or Carlos Pena's return to Tampa one more time I think I'm going to mute them all. Just talk about the game. All these cute irrelevant stories get old really fast. Talk about the pitching strategy, the score, the trends of the game, what kind of pitch to expect, RISP, whatever... leave the jellyfish out of it!

# 96 Galvatron @ 05/26/12 03:34 PM
I knew when I read the thread topic that commentary and presentation would be the most mentioned suggestion...so just to add on...

Yeah it's come to the point where ALOT of work needs to be done here. ALOT! Sooooooo many of these lines from the PS2 era are still in this game and at the very least, any pieces of commentary from 2007 and earlier needs to go. Vasgersian is solid as always but needs a ****load of new material to remain interesting as the play by play guy. Campbell is...well...he needs to go. Sorry it can't be sugar coated anymore with this guy, his material is the worst by far to listen to, and there's no way on earth I can believe that he actually puts in more than a half hours worth of work each year. Stuff like "when in doubt talk it out" and "2 on 2 out and a 2-2 count"....seriously, either have him re-record ALL his lines(honestly, would it take that long) or toss him aside for new talent. Karros is actually a bright spot IMO.

The most glaring flaw in presentation is the amount of dead air during at-bats. It's very common to go thru 3 batters and not hear Karros or Campbell even once, which completely defeats the point of having 2 color commentators. They should almost never shut up. And the few new cues that were added(i.e. a team going 1-4 their last 5 games) only pop up probably once every few games if lucky. There was alot of touting about it being more dynamic this year, but in early June of my franchise I barely notice anything that resembles this. Very unsatisfying.

Serious attention needs to be made for the crowd as well. I think the sound guys need to sit and STUDY a MLB game and how the crowd reacts and non-reacts to certain events in order to replicate this effectively. Right now it's just to arbitrary- batter hits ball, ball finds a hole, batter reaches base, crowd reacts... instead of ball finds hole, crowd reacts, batter reaches base. I hope this is all being worked on because honestly, these complaints have been mentioned for YEARS, and next year being the only game in town they need addressing more than ever before.

# 97 authentic @ 05/26/12 03:56 PM
For me, MLB 13 The Show needs provide a Franchise mode that is similar to how realistic the in game gameplay is. What does that mean? It means that it's tough for me to play a "sim" baseball game, playing wise, in a somewhat arcadish Franchise Mode. Now, the current mode isn't all bad, it has it's ups and downs. If they could somewhat implement what AllStar Baseball did back in the day with their Franchise mode, whatever it was called, I would be in love.

Gameplay wise, this game is top notch. Franchise mode however, I believe is lagging and needs to be upgraded, which I think is supposed to be. Don't just add on a couple minor things, re-do it and make it like it should be, a true sim.

# 98 Sergio88 @ 05/26/12 04:07 PM
Not a White Sox fan but for Commentary we need some Hawk Harrelson..."And you can put it on the board YES....YES.

# 99 armymule @ 05/26/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by go tribe
he's so horrible - i'd never buy the game again, even if i could mute him
None of the announcers mentioned here are going to please everyone. I believe there is nothing wrong with dead air time and SCEA would be fine with only one announcer, and hopefully he'd be low key. I don't need someone telling me what I'm watching by screaming into the mike, overcome with phoney excitement over some routine play. Also, I don't understand why so many of you guys want an ESPN or Fox style broadcast. IMO they both suck.

# 100 Eski33 @ 05/26/12 08:15 PM
I love The Show. I would like to see classic teams, more classic stadiums and more classic uniforms.

Would love to use the 86 Mets, 84 Tigers, 76 Reds, etc.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.