Home
FIFA 13 News Post

FIFA 13 is in stores today. While we did have plenty of feedback in the FIFA 13 Season Ticket impressions, we have created a new topic for those of you grabbing the full retail version today.

Please post your impressions here. If you have any FIFA 13 questions, please post them in this thread. The community will do their best to answer them for you.

Game: FIFA Soccer 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
FIFA Soccer 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 ~LiverpoolRed~ @ 10/01/12 07:44 AM
I actually saw a goalkeeper injury. Lloris had to come off for Friedel due to a concussion.

# 122 Belgian94 @ 10/01/12 09:22 AM
Can somebody give me some tips here?

I can't seem to get through a defender ever on professional +

# 123 Bellsprout @ 10/01/12 02:58 PM
The last two times that my guy has gone to do a quick throw, then I waited because I had nobody open and he dropped the ball to reset, the game has frozen.

Ugh.

# 124 toomerk @ 10/01/12 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Manual just takes practice, there's no way around it. This it the first year that I have everything on manual and I am loving it. Once you get good at manual passing, you might actually be better than with assisted. On manual, you can put a pass right where you want it, where with assisted the game tries to guess where you want the ball and player to meet (sometimes poorly).

I started in stages. First I did manual passing, then shooting, then finally through balls and lob passes. There will be frustration at first but eventually when you get the hang of it, putting together the perfect scoring play is just that much more satisfying.
Are players' stats still taken into consideration when using all manual? Or does this get thrown out the window?

# 125 Salhus @ 10/01/12 06:26 PM
Loving the new animations. The first touch and physicality are awesome and so much fun to play with.

I'm having freezing issues though. In career mode, if I go to edit the CPU teams tactics before the game it freezes before startup 7/10 times

# 126 jb12780 @ 10/01/12 08:47 PM
My early thoughts:

Battles in the air are great. You can really tell when you have a dominant one in the air.

First touch slider is all kinds of winning.

Why do all CPU teams try to pass the ball in the net?

Defense is a hot mess for both sides. I have rarely seen the CPU go for a no-nonsense clearance, they would rather try to pass the ball out of the back, which leads me to my next impression: the CPU rarely passes laterally or backwards.

It also seems like there is no reaction the the second ball in the air for both sides as well.

With all said said, it is a solid game.

# 127 MVP9072 @ 10/01/12 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
Loving the new animations. The first touch and physicality are awesome and so much fun to play with.

I'm having freezing issues though. In career mode, if I go to edit the CPU teams tactics before the game it freezes before startup 7/10 times
Why are you editing theirs....

# 128 kerosene31 @ 10/02/12 08:44 AM
After playing a lot of player career mode (only controlling one player) the AI problems really stand out. I feel like it is 1 vs 11 out there. It makes controlling a single player really tough. My midfielder got moved up to striker in the formation, but I ended up basically playing sweeper behind my defensive backs. They just let the other team walk in on net.

You kind of have to control every player, as the game is set up where you have to do everything yourself. It seems like sometimes there's two players open and you can only cover one. The game can be fun but extremely frustrating at the same time.

# 129 Maxflier @ 10/02/12 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
Ditto to all of that. First touch and the impact engine are great this year. Loving the physical play.

CPU defenders are actually competent in clubs this year, too.

Game is awesome.

# 130 jayhawkblue @ 10/02/12 05:21 PM
Has anyone else noticed during Career Mode audio updates when the scores are read off after matches that when there is a game that ended in penalties, the guy will say that the wrong team won? Ex: Barca beats Real Madrid 5-4 on penalties, the guy will say "Real Madrid won 5-4 in penalties"

# 131 dubcity @ 10/02/12 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
After playing a lot of player career mode (only controlling one player) the AI problems really stand out. I feel like it is 1 vs 11 out there. It makes controlling a single player really tough. My midfielder got moved up to striker in the formation, but I ended up basically playing sweeper behind my defensive backs. They just let the other team walk in on net.

You kind of have to control every player, as the game is set up where you have to do everything yourself. It seems like sometimes there's two players open and you can only cover one. The game can be fun but extremely frustrating at the same time.
Yeah. Under the hood, FIFA is still in pre-"Tactical Defending" mode. All of your teammates play the same as they did when you could just press the defender. They're programmed to depend on you to be able to just run up and take the ball. You're pretty much on your own with the whole "tactical" deal.

# 132 MostlyChilly @ 10/02/12 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
Defense is a hot mess for both sides. I have rarely seen the CPU go for a no-nonsense clearance, they would rather try to pass the ball out of the back, which leads me to my next impression: the CPU rarely passes laterally or backwards.
I was about to point this out as well, less clearances also lead to less corners and throw-ins as well. And a bit annoying at times when their clearance down the field somehow finds one of their open players in midfield.

# 133 kelvinmak @ 10/02/12 07:52 PM
Quote:

It also seems like there is no reaction the the second ball in the air for both sides as well.
Spot on. That's what I was trying to get at in my review for the game. AI players going into a trance isn't only a defense-only phenomenon, but also when the ball is in transit for any reason other than a result of a pass or a shot, like rebounds or deflections. It seems like when that second ball is in the air, your team just hangs around until it lands on somebody's foot, and then they snap back into the game and start moving to their positions. It's almost like if the ball isn't in the air because of a pass, then the AI players can't "read" where it is going, and has to wait until it's "active" again when somebody takes control of it. (Forgive me, I know it's clear as mud, but I'm a little pressed for time)

I think this is also related to why we're seeing the CPU playing the ball out from the back so much. It's because they can.

Let's say it's a corner, my player heads the ball towards the net and the goalie parries it out to a defender's foot, who is still inside the penalty box. I'd say if that was the case in real life, 7 out of 10 times they would then hoof it anywhere. But as far as I can tell, probably only 2 out of 10 times that happens in FIFA, and the rest the CPU can just play it out. Because if you decide to then pressure the defender with the ball, the rest of your AI teammates are only just coming to life and realizing where the ball is and how they should act. By then it's way too late for them to apply any sort of meaningful pressure to take away the ball player's options. If that was happening because of player attributes, then cool, but at the moment it just seems like a limitation in the AI thinking.

# 134 EWRMETS @ 10/02/12 10:42 PM
Quote:
I consistently see back passes and lateral passes. I'm not seeing the criticism that the CPU always pushes forward.

# 135 Exile04 @ 10/03/12 01:21 AM
enjoying it. i have noticed that in the later parts of the game the AI DEF seems to turn it up a notch which is awesome.

# 136 bukktown @ 10/03/12 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
I consistently see back passes and lateral passes. I'm not seeing the criticism that the CPU always pushes forward.
I only see this when I am vigilant on defense by constantly switching players.

The player I switch to is always 5 yds away and standing still so I have to hold LT + RT + A + L stick towards the player to get into a reasonable defensive position.

Depending on where the ball is on the pitch I will press tight or shade a passing lane. Of course I have to repeat this routine pretty much nonstop when the AI reaches my 1/3rd of the pitch after every pass.

It would be nice to NOT have to do all of this to get realistic looking gameplay but I have to admit that when I do all of the defensive work myself the flow of the game is much better and feels way more realistic to me so it's worth it IMO.

# 137 EWRMETS @ 10/03/12 02:10 AM
You def have to be very active on defense. I contain usually and see the CPU work the ball. I have noticed they get a lot more tackles than me. I'm trying to work on my tackling. I think the CPU should play defense for the user as well as they do for themselves but that's not the case.

# 138 kerosene31 @ 10/03/12 11:01 AM
It is hard to stop the CPU from advancing because your teammates play too far off them. By the time you switch to them and pressure the CPU just moved the ball to the next guy. You can't spam the teammate pressure button either as you'll just get your players all out of position and make it worse.

# 139 Qb @ 10/03/12 11:13 AM
Agreed on the teammate defensive issues. When I play friends online, the constant 'switch & close down' style of D is vital due to the space afforded by NPC teammates.

However, if any of you are playing offline, try raising the marking slider. It appears to affect how tightly defenders play off the ball. I have it quite high right now (85 IIRC), but I'm still trying to find the right balance. I'm not seeing the same issue I did last year where the defense would completely lose its shape with a very high marking setting. This works well with lowering the line length setting, as brings the defenders closer together, perhaps mitigating potential adverse effects of high marking.

# 140 kerosene31 @ 10/03/12 11:53 AM
Marking helps but I still don't trust them to defend once the other team is close to goal. As long as you can switch players yourself you can handle things, but playing as a single player on the field can be a nightmare (and in player career mode I can't adjust the strategy).

The big issue seems to be that the slower defenders don't respect the speed of attackers enough. They react just a moment too slowly sometimes and give up far too many chances that should never happen. It is funny but NHL has the exact same issue. It isn't like they are horrible at it, but there's just a moment where they just don't react quite fast enough. It sometimes gives the attackers just an extra moment of opportunity.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.