Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Here is one of the better videos of MLB 13 The Show, coming from CES 2013. In this video, you can clearly see the new scorebug, Russell mentions you can turn off all On Screen Displays (OSD's), a very brief look at Franchise, Jeter's stance is fixed and more.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 yanksdaniel99 @ 01/10/13 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
No i mean record wise, as in Dickeys 39 Ws compared Felix 40 Ws
You realize wins are a product of the team they play on right ?

# 142 Nooooovak @ 01/10/13 05:49 PM
Quote:
No i mean record wise, as in Dickeys 39 Ws compared Felix 40 Ws
A pitcher's W-L record doesn't really tell you much about how a pitcher has performed. Barry Zito and Phil Hughes won more games than Felix this year. It really isn't an accurate representation of how valuable a guy is.

Note: I'm not taking any side in the Dickey-Felix debate that has broken out here. Just defending Sabermetrics haha

# 143 yanksdaniel99 @ 01/10/13 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Lol I was trying to avoid this one since it is the most obvious case of Felix's superiority...

Dickey - 9.9 WAR
Felix - 17.3 WAR

Felix should be rated between 171 and 173

Want to just use last year's #'s?

Dickey - 4.6
Felix - 6.1
Won pretty surprised at the difference there. Thought it woukd be a decent margin, but by almost double the value wow that's impressive.

# 144 seanjeezy @ 01/10/13 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
Won pretty surprised at the difference there. Thought it woukd be a decent margin, but by almost double the value wow that's impressive.
Low K/9 and high FIP and xFIP... Those are WAR busters for sure. Even so, its pretty remarkable that he had better traditional peripherals than Felix last year and still gets killed in WAR... I guess facing pitchers at least twice a game will spike your metrics lol

# 145 Factzzz @ 01/10/13 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
According to baseball reference Dickey's WAR the last 3 years has been 12.1 combined, whereas Felix's has been 14.8, so not that big a difference.

And going based on WAR, i guess Chase Headley was the 6th best position player last year, better than Miguel Cabrera.

Aside from all this WAR nonsense, the original argument was that Dickey's numbers and Felix's numbers over the past 3 years are comparable, which is very true.

# 146 SoxFan01605 @ 01/10/13 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
The problem with numerical ratings is that people get hung up on the numbers instead of how the player performs. Sure there were ratings bars before(and I could view the ratings in the editor, but I couldn't access that info in game) but the Overall was so ambiguous that it made it difficult to determine who was rated higher.

This allows for a more realistic experience as a GM or coach. Girardi doesn't look down the bench and say, "hmmm I need a pinch hitter rated 80 or higher and he needs at least a 75 contact vs left and 85 power."

Like was stated before, as well, ratings are based off a formula based on position and a combination of ratings spit out of a formula to give you a number. So I'll have to choose between my 98 pitcher or 99 pitcher..
Well, to be fair, the ratings are a representation of what Girardi does see when he looks down the bench. He has scouting data, experience, etc to rely on in making those calls. Ratings are simply a common, albeit weak, substitute for that data. But you're 100% right about getting hung up on ratings.

On a related note, you're also right that bars at least make it a bit more ambiguous, but the complexity of such managerial decisions is still severely hampered. It would be a dream to one day have NO static ratings information for the user AT ALL. Make users weigh between historical, situational, and current statistical performance along with whatever the user comfort level is with a player (you don't know how often I've gone to a journeyman player in a big spot simply because I suck for some reason with an all-star in-game).

Even for CAPs, use comparative skill (i.e. "Power in-line with Hamilton" or "Steals like Bourn") with an MLB player or create a minor league statistical history (which would also fill another wishlist item for us stat fiends-player history) and have the ratings be generated by the game in the background.

That would probably scare away a ton of players though...lol...but it's fun to dream.

# 147 D0GGERT D0G @ 01/10/13 06:17 PM
Wow, this. is. amazing

# 148 bayman @ 01/10/13 06:22 PM
What is the point of all this complaining about Dickey vs. Hernandez? Russell has already said that all stock ratings are based off numbers and not SCEA's opinions. If they used Fan Graphs, Hernandez will have much better total ratings than Dickey, period. And either way Baseball Reference had Dickey with the higher WAR last year so please enlighten me on how Fan Graphs is the be all, end all, player evaluation tool?

# 149 yanksdaniel99 @ 01/10/13 06:25 PM
Quote:
According to baseball reference Dickey's WAR the last 3 years has been 12.1 combined, whereas Felix's has been 14.8, so not that big a difference.

And going based on WAR, i guess Chase Headley was the 6th best position player last year, better than Miguel Cabrera.

Aside from all this WAR nonsense, the original argument was that Dickey's numbers and Felix's numbers over the past 3 years are comparable, which is very true.
Got different WAR #'s when I looked at fangraphs.

Can't agree with your #'s comparison but I guess we can agree to disagree there. All subjective to whatever numbers you feel better show a pitcher's value. Both talented guys, Felix is just on another level on talent then Dickey.

# 150 yanksdaniel99 @ 01/10/13 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
What is the point of all this complaining about Dickey vs. Hernandez? Russell has already said that all stock ratings are based off numbers and not SCEA's opinions. If they used Fan Graphs, Hernandez will have much better total ratings than Dickey, period. And either way Baseball Reference had Dickey with the higher WAR last year so please enlighten me on how Fan Graphs is the be all, end all, player evaluation tool?
No one said fangraphs is the end all, be all ...

# 151 seanjeezy @ 01/10/13 06:33 PM
Quote:

This will be the last post I make about this, so I'll be short: they really aren't, Dickey's 2012 is comparable to Felix's 2010-2012, but overall they aren't close. Dickey falls well short in K/9, HR/9, and H/9, and IP. Hmm... those stats look familiar, where have I seen them stacked all together... !!! That's how the show determines pitcher ratings, what a coincidence!!! Funny, I don't see a rating for wins or ERA...

IMO Chase Headly was a better player than Cabby last year, the game of baseball requires players to field the ball and run the bases as well... Cabrera was definitely a better hitter though, no question. Probably still hits north of .320 and 40+ HR's even at Petco...

# 152 Factzzz @ 01/10/13 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
This will be the last post I make about this, so I'll be short: they really aren't, Dickey's 2012 is comparable to Felix's 2010-2012, but overall they aren't close. Dickey falls well short in K/9, HR/9, and H/9, and IP. Hmm... those stats look familiar, where have I seen them stacked all together... !!! That's how the show determines pitcher ratings, what a coincidence!!! Funny, I don't see a rating for wins or ERA...

IMO Chase Headly was a better player than Cabby last year, the game of baseball requires players to field the ball and run the bases as well... Cabrera was definitely a better hitter though, no question. Probably still hits north of .320 and 40+ HR's even at Petco...
Lol.....smh

# 153 Qb @ 01/10/13 06:46 PM
OK... Let's move on from the Dickey/Hernandez debate and the impending Cabrera conversation.

# 154 Baseballking888 @ 01/10/13 07:24 PM
The Cano stance isn't that bad. Not too sure why I've seen people complaining about it.

# 155 @legendm0de @ 01/10/13 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
simply move up a difficulty level
even Raussel Ramone has said these hiting, timing changes have been applied to legend mode as well, which I didn't want to hear even as a guy who plays with zone + analog batting. But he also did say that legend difficulty has been made the most difficult than ever before, so I'm really jacked up to see what all of this is about

# 156 tbbucsfan001 @ 01/10/13 07:43 PM
You can turn off all of the on screen displays?? Oh hell yes.

# 157 Bat @ 01/10/13 07:49 PM
Love the pitching cam

# 158 ghm125 @ 01/10/13 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon
Doesn't Cueto lead the majors in ERA+ over the past 2 seasons? There's a case, one I wouldn't necessarily agree with, that Cueto isn't far behind those guys.
plus Johnny has kool hair!

# 159 nemesis04 @ 01/10/13 08:06 PM
The animation of Jeter rounding the bag and holding up on that base hit was nice and smooth. I am pretty sure we will see different types based on the hit.

# 160 Bobhead @ 01/10/13 08:25 PM
I don't know if it was just me, but on the very first hit: Fielders seem to make more realistic attempts at the ball, and the "I can't reach it" animation seems like it was delayed so that it starts later. Might just be me though?

I liked the play at the plate - where Ramone was like "he got gunned" - and how the tag application matched the slide, instead of the catcher just doing random things - which is what I felt happened in previous years.

I love being OSD-free!!!

And finally it was nice to see a hitter get legitimately jammed (6:15 roughly). That just waasn't properly translated in previous years, and the hits usually went foul above anything else.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.