Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

PlayStation.Blog has posted a new MLB 13 The Show blog detailing the hitting enhancements in the game. They also discuss the new Push/Pull hitting Trajectories Engine, 16 batting views and you can also customize your own.

Source - Step Up to the Plate: MLB ’13 The Show Hitting Enhancements Detailed (PlayStation.Blog)

MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 OUSOONERS#1 @ 01/30/13 06:06 PM
Jus cause it shows in that video n they say it is supposed too doesn't mean that's way it is when consumer plays the game

# 42 tvman @ 01/30/13 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Well, if that's what was said said in the developer blog video, then I would guess that's how it actually is. Who are you looking to answer this that's more qualified than a developer ?
I was going by Nemesis's comment which seems to contradict what the vid said.

Mainly the part about his ability overriding the push pull thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Couple things about the push pull system. I thought you could really see a difference in the hitting tendencies against the CPU batters. I did not get the same sense when I was up at bat. My ability appeared to totally override the system, for example when using Jeter because of my early timing he was a solid pull hitter for me. Also worth mentioning due to a lack of time there currently is no AI for fielders to automatically adjust defensively based on the specific type of hitter. You can manually make the adjustments for yourself against the CPU but do not expect the CPU to adjust against you. The only one that is hard coded is the extreme shift for certain batters.

Overall I like how the system is differentiating hitters but it did not feel complete to me in its current state. It does not hurt the game at all but to me at times I felt disconnected with it. The other guys may have different observations with it.

# 43 MrOldboy @ 01/30/13 06:19 PM
From the video what I got is that if it all works as planned power hitters will hit more home runs to where they usually hit them. Not all players can hit a home run to opposite field at will anymore, at least from what I've seen/read.

The thing is how will that affect someone like Adam Dunn, they showed him in the video and implied he was a dead pull hitter. Just looking at his home run chart (hittrackeronline, not sure of how accurate they are for sure) he hit 10/41 HRs to left of center. If you want to be generous and count in the ones that are near center he hit about 15/41 to center or left. I'd say that is pretty good opposite field power. For example G. Stanton hit about 7/37 to center and right field and E. Encarnacion hit about 7-9/42 to center/right of center.

If he is dead pull in the game, even just pull, will he have a hard time hitting balls out to center and left field?

Was there any more clarification from the CD guys on how this all exactly works? From that quote by nemesis I'm wondering how much the tendency will affect the hit in the end.

# 44 SoxFan01605 @ 01/30/13 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman

What he's describing is also described in the video too, I think. It sounds like Nem's timing wasn't "normal." As he said, since he was early, he essentially became a pull hitter. That seems in-line with how the system is described in the video. I would imagine it would almost have to be skewed towards happening more for the CPU (one less input to account for), otherwise you'd have people screaming about not having enough control.

It seems it's essentially a modifier of sorts, so I would also imagine that, in addition to differentiation between hitter types from batter to batter, how much it is noticed on the user end will vary a great deal from user to user as well. If that's the case, it's something that should (in theory) become even more evident over time on the user end (as one get's accustomed to the new timing windows, etc).

I could be completely wrong though!

# 45 sbmnky @ 01/30/13 06:24 PM
Quote:
Couple things about the push pull system. I thought you could really see a difference in the hitting tendencies against the CPU batters. I did not get the same sense when I was up at bat. My ability appeared to totally override the system, for example when using Jeter because of my early timing he was a solid pull hitter for me.
Did you test this out with different hitting types: Timing, Analog, etc? From what I recall, you prefer using the Analog system.

# 46 wrightdavisrock @ 01/30/13 06:43 PM
Looks like they got rid of David Wright's high leg kick. Awesome

# 47 myghty @ 01/30/13 06:43 PM
You know what is BS? That i have to wait till March to play this game...

Love the video explanation of hitting. Thanks.

# 48 Russell_SCEA @ 01/30/13 06:46 PM
Quote:
Couple things about the push pull system. I thought you could really see a difference in the hitting tendencies against the CPU batters. I did not get the same sense when I was up at bat. My ability appeared to totally override the system, for example when using Jeter because of my early timing he was a solid pull hitter for me. Also worth mentioning due to a lack of time there currently is no AI for fielders to automatically adjust defensively based on the specific type of hitter. You can manually make the adjustments for yourself against the CPU but do not expect the CPU to adjust against you. The only one that is hard coded is the extreme shift for certain batters.

Overall I like how the system is differentiating hitters but it did not feel complete to me in its current state. It does not hurt the game at all but to me at times I felt disconnected with it. The other guys may have different observations with it.

Don't scare me like that..............................anyway I just did a test with one pull hitter and one balanced hitter. Both players (human controlled) where thrown one hundred strikes with the wind off. In both instances they hit a majority of their balls with "Good timing" to their preferred zones.

The balanced hitter sprayed the field with around 34% balls hit to all fields and the pull hitter (F.Freeman) hit 40% of his balls to right field. So it's working correctly for human users as well.

# 49 Bobhead @ 01/30/13 06:55 PM
Personally that does seem kind of low. I'd expect a pull hitter to hit at least around 50% of their hits to their pull side... It's not something I've ever researched or thought about though, so I could be wrong. I'm also assuming the pull hitter was only a "pull hitter" and not an "extreme pull hitter."

As for nemesis' observation though, I'd hypothesize that the bigger the timing window, the easier it is to bypass the hitting tendencies. In other words, what difficulty level were you playing on?

# 50 OUSOONERS#1 @ 01/30/13 06:57 PM
Very nice Thanks Ramone !!!!!!!!!!!!

# 51 sbmnky @ 01/30/13 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Personally that does seem kind of low. I'd expect a pull hitter to hit at least around 50% of their hits to their pull side... It's not something I've ever researched or thought about though, so I could be wrong. I'm also assuming the pull hitter was only a "pull hitter" and not an "extreme pull hitter."

As for nemesis' observation though, I'd hypothesize that the bigger the timing window, the easier it is to bypass the hitting tendencies. In other words, what difficulty level were you playing on?
And to piggyback on this question, will the hitting type (timing, zone, analog) have any bearing on the timing window? It is reasonable to suggest a smaller timing window with a hitting type I'm skillful at will produce a more accurate spray charts based on hitting tendancies? And a bigger timing window with a hitting type I'm not very good at (ZAB) will produce the same spray chart?

# 52 ParisB @ 01/30/13 07:03 PM
Quote:

His comment is in line with what the video is saying.

If your timing is "early", you will pull the ball a lot of time regardless if you're typically a balanced hitter.

If his timing was "good", he would probably be spraying opposite field a little more often.

# 53 nemesis04 @ 01/30/13 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmnky
Did you test this out with different hitting types: Timing, Analog, etc? From what I recall, you prefer using the Analog system.
I am strictly a zone batting player.

I am not here to scare anyone, these were my observations with the system on my end. As I said it made sense and felt natural when the CPU was up at bat. When I was up at bat I felt a little disconnect with it. I much rather it be this way as opposed to the system putting me on rails and force the hits based on how they hit IRL. Anyway there were other guys playing and I am sure they have their observations too.

# 54 Russell_SCEA @ 01/30/13 07:05 PM
Quote:

It depends on the batter F.Freeman's spray chart has 42% balls hit to right field. 50% would be an extreme pull hitter which F.Freeman isn't so the system is working properly.

# 55 seanjeezy @ 01/30/13 07:06 PM
Quote:

I'd actually classify 50% as an extreme pull hitter. Pujols had the most balls hit to the pull side this year, ~52%. The ranges are actually pretty small, a 7% shift to one side is the difference between a balanced and pull/push hitter

Edit:

Damn, ninja'd...

# 56 MrOldboy @ 01/30/13 07:12 PM
Quote:

It seems like its in line with spray charts for base hits, I think. Its the home runs where I think this gets tricky.

What I am more curious about is if the system differentiates home runs at all. From what has been said so far I'd say that it doesn't.

Joey Votto hit 17/29 home runs to left of center in 2011. I'd honestly call that some heavy push/opposite power since it seems that even balanced hitters will hit more home runs to their pull side. If Votto is labeled as balanced in the game that would make sense for him. But not all hitters and I feel, need actual data, that a balanced hitter would hit most of his home runs to his pull field. The video mentioned that push hitters won't necessarily hit home runs to their opposite field which makes sense. But Prado, I think, was shown. What about a power hitter that is labeled push, can he hit home runs to opposite field?

For example in the video Bryce Harper has a 30/32/38 chart, which I assume is from a MLB.com chart of all his hits (including home runs) and he is labeled balanced. But if you look at his home run chart he is a 14/23/63 home run hitter. That is a pretty big difference from his hits to just looking at home runs. But from the video it seemed maybe this will workout, the part about push hitters not necessarily hitting home runs.

# 57 Bobhead @ 01/30/13 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It depends on the batter F.Freeman's spray chart has 42% balls hit to right field. 50% would be an extreme pull hitter which F.Freeman isn't so the system is working properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I'd actually classify 50% as an extreme pull hitter. Pujols had the most balls hit to the pull side this year, ~52%. The ranges are actually pretty small, a 7% shift to one side is the difference between a balanced and pull/push hitter

Edit:

Damn, ninja'd...
Ah cool. I stand corrected then. Thanks guys. Also where do you even find these percentage spray chart data? It's something I've always wanted to look at, in terms of real life MLB.

# 58 tvman @ 01/30/13 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
It seems like its in line with spray charts for base hits, I think. Its the home runs where I think this gets tricky.

What I am more curious about is if the system differentiates home runs at all. From what has been said so far I'd say that it doesn't.

Joey Votto hit 17/29 home runs to left of center in 2011. I'd honestly call that some heavy push/opposite power since it seems that even balanced hitters will hit more home runs to their pull side. If Votto is labeled as balanced in the game that would make sense for him. But not all hitters and I feel, need actual data, that a balanced hitter would hit most of his home runs to his pull field. The video mentioned that push hitters won't necessarily hit home runs to their opposite field which makes sense. But Prado, I think, was shown. What about a power hitter that is labeled push, can he hit home runs to opposite field?

For example in the video Bryce Harper has a 30/32/38 chart, which I assume is from a MLB.com chart of all his hits (including home runs) and he is labeled balanced. But if you look at his home run chart he is a 14/23/63 home run hitter.
That's a good point, about the hr. distribution. I wonder how Adrien Gonzalez looks on the hit distribution chart, he's about as opposite a field Hr. hitter as there is.

# 59 MrOldboy @ 01/30/13 07:26 PM
Quote:
That's a good point, about the hr. distribution. I wonder how Adrien Gonzalez looks on the hit distribution chart, he's about as opposite a field Hr. hitter as there is.
This is the site I was using to get HR data.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/deta...47&type=hitter

Gonzalez is in 2012 a 33/11/56 HR hitter. In 2011 he was 41/11/48
He still technically hit most of his HRs to right field the last two years. But I don't know how the game will handle this. He is a weird case though since he hits most of his HRs to either left or right, few to center.

Also just noticed this watching the video again, but the Carlos Gonzalez glimpse looked pretty good, had a high leg kick. http://youtu.be/ochFV9Ym6dc?t=3m7s

# 60 tvman @ 01/30/13 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
This is the site I was using to get HR data.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/deta...47&type=hitter

Gonzalez is in 2012 a 33/11/56 HR hitter. In 2011 he was 41/11/48
He still technically hit most of his HRs to right field the last two years. But I don't know how the game will handle this. He is a weird case though since he hits most of his HRs to either left or right, few to center.

Also just noticed this watching the video again, but the Carlos Gonzalez glimpse looked pretty good, had a high leg kick. http://youtu.be/ochFV9Ym6dc?t=3m7s
Thanks for that link!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.