Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Now that the game is released to all, this is the place to post your impressions.

As a reminder, this is not a thread for questions. Please use the MLB 2K13 Q&A thread for that.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Blzer @ 03/05/13 04:03 PM
I don't personally own the game right now, but I've played quite a bit at Best Buy.

I'm not going to lie, I went all the way to the register until I took back the bundled MLB/NBA 2K13 deal. For whatever ridiculously stupid reason, I thought it was $59.99. Seeing that it wasn't, I didn't have the cash on me to fully purchase it with my Tomb Raider pre-order as well. I would really like to own this game and give it a fair shake, and I certainly will do so when the time comes. It would be extremely tough to juggle three baseball games in one year (I'm getting PYS as well), but I think it's possible.

I like a lot of what this game has to offer, provided the right adjustments. If they had an overall better hitting system, this would be a no-brainer. I think that's my biggest fallback with this series at the moment.

# 22 Grumpykore @ 03/05/13 04:04 PM
Bigs and Mk you guys always seems to make the game better each year with sliders and rosters no i'm not worried to much.

I like what you guys have said , i agree!!!- not much we can do since there are no other baseball games for 360 this year and i'm a baseball fan on 2k... I'll stick with 2k13 and learn to love it, i don't get to much gaming time anymore and when i do it mostly baseball and football and wrasslin with my boys.

I'm sure it will be fun - i don't mind trading a few old games in for 2k13.- peace

I'll post impressions 9ish PT.

# 23 htskr21 @ 03/05/13 04:42 PM
Just booted it up. I knew it wasn't going to be much different in the menu's and stuff but it's still weird looking at an almost carbon copy of 2k12.

Pros: The colours are great. The game play is smoother. The commentary is updated (and good, as always) and there's a roster update on 2kshare from 02/28.

Cons: No classic All-star teams. (Taken out) The 2kbeats music is awful.

Overall, I still like this game better than anything else and I own a PS3.

P.S. I hate to say this but hoping for a patch or much of anything in the support/update area is probably going to leave you disappointed.

# 24 econoodle @ 03/05/13 05:09 PM
After actually leaving the store with the other game, i got mad and had instant regret, so we drove back and I swapped it out for the Combo pack.

I couldn't wait.

Glad t have both.

Very early impressions:

-the colors are popping man! soooo beautiful. I swear they weren't this robust in 12

-the ball seems to have more life now. I couldn't ask for much more in that regard. Not on this short dev cycle.

-not a new revelation here but, franchise mode is still best in class. 1 game in and i am overwhelmed with stuff to do as usual.

- the pitcher/batter showdown, on both side of the ball mama mia, this is fun.

more to come...

# 25 AcceptedIntern4 @ 03/05/13 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't personally own the game right now, but I've played quite a bit at Best Buy.

I'm not going to lie, I went all the way to the register until I took back the bundled MLB/NBA 2K13 deal. For whatever ridiculously stupid reason, I thought it was $59.99. Seeing that it wasn't, I didn't have the cash on me to fully purchase it with my Tomb Raider pre-order as well. I would really like to own this game and give it a fair shake, and I certainly will do so when the time comes. It would be extremely tough to juggle three baseball games in one year (I'm getting PYS as well), but I think it's possible.

I like a lot of what this game has to offer, provided the right adjustments. If they had an overall better hitting system, this would be a no-brainer. I think that's my biggest fallback with this series at the moment.
I'll sell you my copy for $45.00. At this point I am hoping to minimize my losses.

# 26 bluengold34_OS @ 03/05/13 06:05 PM
Just like every year, I bought both games and enjoy them both for different reasons.

Like most have said, it's not much different than last year, but I still find myself having a great time with this title. I love the pitching and hitting interface, and while things in the field and on the base-path may not be as polished as the other title, that doesn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of it.

So glad I just took the chance and purchased it -

# 27 BZito75 @ 03/05/13 07:11 PM
I've owned the other title from 08-12 and this year I went with 2k mainly because I lost my ps3 in hurricane sandy.

I was on the fence but I gotta be honest, this game is fantastic! The batter pitcher interface is nail biting and I love the commentary because it doesn't feel canned. All I need are some quality sliders and ill be a happy 2k baseball gamer

# 28 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/05/13 07:17 PM
I've only played one game so far, but I'm really liking what MLB 2K13 has to offer. Since I didn't play 2K12, I really don't have any insight into how this title compares to that. However, as a guy who just wants to play a fun game of baseball, this 2K13 succeeds in my eyes. I'm sure as I play it more I'll find things to nitpick, but out of the gate my impressions are quite favorable.

I played an MLB Today game and lost 7-3 to the Braves using the Yankees. One thing I had forgotten about this series is how good the analog pitching feels. It really makes battling the hitter very enjoyable. I used to use classic hitting in 2K11, but I may use the swing stick this time around because it wasn't bad like I remember it being before. I'll decide as I play a bit more. This game is probably gonna get crapped on, but I'm not mad at my purchase right now.

# 29 bkrich83 @ 03/05/13 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
Yeah, they have in the three games I've played so far. They even pinch hit for a right handed hitter against a right handed pitcher with a left handed bat. It was a weak hitter they pinch hit for with a good left handed hitter vs right handed pitchers.
Huge improvement there imo.

# 30 kmp714 @ 03/05/13 09:16 PM
The best improvement to me is the balls that find their way through the infield. In last years version the infielders would morph to the ball(it still sometimes happens, but very rarely), but now I'm seeing line drives through the hole, seeing eye singles, etc. It has really improved the hit variety!

Also this game still plays a great game online for a quick match player like me. My first two were very laggy, but then things smoothed out and I had a couple of epic games, including a 2-1 loss vs. the Angels(I was the Rangers.) It is possible to draw walks, if you focus, and it just plays a compelling game of baseball with the right opponent.

There is definetly a difference under the hood from 2K12, and I played many many hours with that game.

I'm from the old school, so I'm used to playing video games for fun and this game is fun!

# 31 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/05/13 09:17 PM
Simulated a season. Here's what I got:

American League

Comeback Player of the Year- Jacoby Ellsbury .262 avg 16 HR 75 RBI 99 Runs Scored 29 SB

Rookie of the Year- Mike Olt .252 avg 12 HR 44 RBI 54 Runs 12 SB

Reliever of the Year- Fernando Rodney 3-3 3.39 ERA 49 Saves 66k 74.1 Innings 19 BB

Cy Young- Max Scherzer 17-6 2.54 ERA 205 Innings 189 SO 48 BB 33 GS

AL Champs- Baltimore Orioles 88-74 ERA 3.71 .267 BA

AL MVP- Mike Trout 158 Games 194 Hits 30 2B 5 3B 34 HR 106 RBI 102 Runs 41 SB

National League

Comeback Player of the Year-Carl Crawford .307 avg 25 HR 71 RBI 94 Runs 9 SB

Rookie of the Year-Adeiny Hechavarria .214 avg 12 HR 68 RBI 58 Runs 2 SB

Reliever of the Year-Sergio Romo 0-5 .224 ERA 54 Saves 66 K 61.2 Innings 17 BB

Cy Young- Roy Halliday 15-9 3.02 ERA 208.2 IP 189 K 57 BB 32 GS

NL Champs- St. Louis Cardinals 87-76 ERA 3.68 AVG 279

NL MVP-Giancarlo Stanton 158 Games 181 Hits 26 2B 3 3B 51 HR 133 RBI 194 Runs 7 SB

World Champs St Louis over Baltimore

# 32 Tomba @ 03/05/13 09:33 PM
Played some bit of it

basically the real question is if the game is any different? and i can say it is in three areas...

1)Color Contrast
2)Lighting
3)Stadium textures

To elaborate...

The colors are more contrasting so they stand apart

The lighting for cloudy and mid day transitioning into night games is much better.

Stadium textures. Play a game at the texans stadium rom the batting camera angle and you'll see what i mean. somehow they are blurry howevr that blur works and make the depth perception look even better this year and that's like that for every stadium pirate red sox etc. the batting angle looks great and comparable to the best

Also the grass looks nice

Some bad and im sorry they been the same for YEARS

ADBOARDS

Ok i'm done I mean we've seen the same stuff with the adboards now since 2k10....

# 33 MizzouRah @ 03/05/13 09:37 PM
Go Cardinals!

# 34 Blazzen @ 03/05/13 09:48 PM
I've played 3 games so far. Overall the game is very similar but I have noticed a few differences.

-In the first game Juan Francisco came up with runners 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, late in a close game and they pulled the Right handed starter to throw a lefty at him. So that was a great AI move. Then the following inning the pitcher came up to bat and they didn't pinch hit for him in a very obvious situation to pinch hit. Bad AI move.
-Baserunners seem faster this year. 45 was the sweet spot for base runner speed last year, it's now 40 this year. I think with some of the base running animation fixes it sped up the runners a bit.
-I'm using 0/0 inf/outfielder speed settings and I've actually seen some balls hit over the outfielders heads. Didn't feel unrealistic either. I think the ball is traveling faster this year mainly due to hits aren't going so high in the air. I think the ball had too much hang time last year and that has been fixed this year. I've seen better hit variety overall.
-The bunt fielding isn't any better this year. There's a lot of bunted balls that the catcher takes that should be the pitchers balls. That bug is still there.
-With runners first and third, stealing second base is free still, the catcher won't even throw down.
-The foul ball lag is definitely still there but it's not that bad.
-I've seen a few wonky animations catching flyballs, making throws and inbetween innings but overall i think its somewhat improved from the previous year. I think overall animations were slightly sped up. Everything feels a little faster from baserunning, running in the field, throw speed, etc.
-In the 3 games I've played using the same sliders I used for MLB 2k12 I've hit 3 HR's, two were with Andrelton Simmons of all people (57-62 power) and one was with Uggla who has 82 power. The opposition has only hit 1 so far, Hunter Pence with 76 power. I've won 2 games, both 6-1, lost the other game 4-3.
-The colors are improved. Navy blues are darker as they should be.
-Commentary is updated and is great.

I liked MLB 2k12 and I think 2k13 is an improvement, albeit slight. $60 isn't much money to me so it's worth it just to have the new league alignments with the Astros in the AL. I don't play online leagues but if I did I'd be angry they removed it.

That's all for now.

# 35 MarvinOida @ 03/05/13 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordeal47
http://47reviews.blogspot.com/2013/0...-2k13-360.html

Since I know there aren't (m)any reviews out there, I've decided to type this review up. Generally I wait a few days after a game releases to post a review, but I've already played for about 7 hours today, embarrassingly enough.

Graphics: 3.5/5 You'll be seeing me saying phrases like this a lot in this review, but... same as last year, from what I can tell. If you've played MLB 2K at all for the past three or so years, then you've seen 2K13. Wonky animations, some horrendous player faces, and an overall "blah" look to the game. They aren't God awful, but they're barely average. Additionally, the menus are exactly the same as MLB 2K12's, just with the 2K13 logo instead.

Sound: 4.5/5 As many people would likely say, the sound in 2K13 is fantastic, and much better than The Show's. If it weren't for the commentary in the 2K series, the games would be FAR less enjoyable, in my opinion. The conversations between Philips, Thorn, and Kruk seems to come naturally and realistically, and lines aren't repeated ad nauseum, with the exception of: "Let's take a look at how the Tigers stacked up against the league last year", yada yada yada. That kind of crap happens four or five times a game, and it got old a couple years ago. Not only is the commentary (mostly) outstanding, but the MLB 2K13 soundtrack isn't too bad either:

"Faster Babe" by 2AM Club
"Take Me Away" by Blue Oyster Cult
"City in Silhouettes" by Funeral Party
"Natural" by Infusion
"Club Foot" by Kasabian
"Peeled Apples" by Manic Street Preachers
"Little Secrets" by Passion Pit
"Take a Walk" by Passion Pit
"Don't Let Them (Cool Off)" by Peter Bjorn and John
"Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John
"Fire Burning" by Sean Kingston
"No Hope" by The Vaccines

In my opinion, 2K13 has a solid setlist, and I believe it's better than last years. "Club Foot" is a popular song that many people have probably heard before, and "Take a Walk" by Passion Pit is a song that was most recently played in Taco Bell's Doritos Locos Taco commercial.

Fun: 3.75/5 Despite the fact that this game is, from what I can tell, a perfect port from 2K12 (minus the online leagues, I noticed. Yes, you read that correctly -- no only leagues in 2K13), it remains a decent enough game. If you can get passed the fact that the guys at 2K got paid to do nothing but add the Astro's new uniforms and switch them to the American League this season, then you'll enjoy it. The jersey colors haven't been corrected (Powder blue Yankee caps and brightly contrasted purple on the Rockies road unnies), a lot of players don't have updated pictures, and the scoreboard that was changed prior to the 2012 season at Comerica Park in Detroit hasn't been renovated in this game. Some of these issues are inexcusable, but the fact is, this is the only baseball game on the Xbox 360. MLB 2K13 isn't at all a bad game, but it doesn't mean 2K shouldn't be ashamed of themselves for making such minute changes to this game. Let's be honest, I'm giving this quite the generous review score.

3.5/5

+ The commentary is the highlight as always; The soundtrack is enjoyable; Games play quite well when using custom sliders (I recommend checking OperationSports.com and downloading MKHash's); At least the Astros are in the AL West with their unattractive new uniforms.

- The game still has horrendously unrealistic animations; Most of the player models creep me out; The commentary mentions statistics far too often; No online leagues; The colorblind guys that are responsible for jersey colors are apparently still hired; General laziness by the entire 2K baseball team.
The colors I thought were fixed for the most part, also I thought people said animations were smoother. Though this is just a man opinion. Also, they had like 2 months, I'm surprised they have most people here happy with the game after seeing the negativity and "2K is obviously dead now" talk once the last 2K12 patch was out.

I'm reading all of this, all I want is fun baseball, most people say this is fun, so Imma go by their word.

# 36 tvman @ 03/06/13 12:26 AM
I don't have the game but when i check uniform colors in reditor i can see that Yankee home and Detroit home uniform colors for example are a lot darker looking in 2k13 than in 2k12 like they should be so at least some of the unis must be right.

# 37 mkharsh33 @ 03/06/13 01:52 AM
Played a game tonight... REALLY like it. It's a patched 2K12, but patched for all the reasons we've wanted it to. I'm very happy with my purchase. I won't elaborate as much of what I've seen here is already posted.

I feel this game is more tilted toward the pitchers - I tested it using my sliders from 2K12 and the pitchers were more dominant. But this game is an improvement on last year and that's a good thing.

# 38 vermont1998 @ 03/06/13 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Played a game tonight... REALLY like it. It's a patched 2K12, but patched for all the reasons we've wanted it to. I'm very happy with my purchase. I won't elaborate as much of what I've seen here is already posted.

I feel this game is more tilted toward the pitchers - I tested it using my sliders from 2K12 and the pitchers were more dominant. But this game is an improvement on last year and that's a good thing.
MLB 2K13 Sliders?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

# 39 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/06/13 03:45 AM
Yankee blue is darker this year. I've played 3 games with them, night, day and overcast and the blue is a lot darker, its not powder blue at all

# 40 Flaxseed Oil @ 03/06/13 09:20 AM
I picked it up for PS3 and I can give you the 360 Comparison because I played it a lot in the store.

• The colors on PS3 don't look as perfect as the colors in the store on 360, but then again it could be my settings on the TV
  • The commentary is terrific. I've heard a lot of quips I hadn't heard before.
  • Animations and gameplay is all exactly the same.
  • The injuries in franchise are NUTS. I simmed through spring training with the Yankees in Youkillis, Tex, Cano, Sabathia and Eduardo Nunez all had major 50+ day injuries ... just in spring training.
  • Game seems to play solid. It's going to be a fun game to play now and then but I won't be playing it for hours, every day.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.