Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Now that the game is released to all, this is the place to post your impressions.

As a reminder, this is not a thread for questions. Please use the MLB 2K13 Q&A thread for that.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 econoodle @ 03/19/13 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Really? That is pretty cool. Don't think I've ever seen that before in a baseball game.
Yea, I was pissed when it looked like they would pitch to him.
I mean its not like you HAVE to walk him there, but it was the Dbacks at Yankee Stadium, and you figure they'd do whatever they can to stay in it and win it.

What happened after that?
Tex popped out.

# 142 pitchleague @ 03/20/13 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
I had an intentional walk after one pitch the other night, too. I think they did do some AI work. I think a lot of this stuff was there in 2K12, but it was not activating. They had claimed to have done AI work, but we didn't see it.

I will say that despite drastically better use of the bullpen and PH's, I still needed to go in and switch sides in a game today when SF was down 2-1 in the 8th, and their pitcher was leading off. Then I proceeded to walk Torres, and he stole 2b on me. But I got out of the inning.

But other than that failure to PH, my late innings match-ups have been fantastic. The CPU is even doing a better job of matching left/righty this year.

Granted, I am still playing 2k12 and playing on PC, but I've had plenty of times when the AI chooses to go to the intentional walk mid-at-bat. Usually after I work a 2-0 count or so, but I've seen it in other counts as well.

Slightly off-topic, does anybody know how to do the intentional walk when you're pitching? Short of just throwing four pitches outside the "manual" way, that is? I use PC and the Logitech Rumblepad 2. I've googled it but come up empty.

# 143 tvman @ 03/20/13 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchleague
Granted, I am still playing 2k12 and playing on PC, but I've had plenty of times when the AI chooses to go to the intentional walk mid-at-bat. Usually after I work a 2-0 count or so, but I've seen it in other counts as well.

Slightly off-topic, does anybody know how to do the intentional walk when you're pitching? Short of just throwing four pitches outside the "manual" way, that is? I use PC and the Logitech Rumblepad 2. I've googled it but come up empty.
I "think" you click down on the L stick.

# 144 dodgerblue @ 03/22/13 12:38 AM
Rented the game through redbox and agree with many of the impressions on here. Fun game, but I'm going to wait for the price drop because I own 2k11 for the pc and 2k12 already and it's not that big of an upgrade.

In fact, there is one area I wish they would fix or someone would come up with a workaround. Why is it that the defense plays in on the corners when there isn't a legitimate bunt single type hitter up? It drives me crazy! Just look at the gameplay video of the Dodgers - A's somewhere above in the forums and the corner infielders are in for Mark Ellis leading off the game!

How are you guys dealing with this? Two controllers?

# 145 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/22/13 01:45 AM
So after a week with the game, still loving the heck out if it..just fun guys

sent from Droid DNA

# 146 tril @ 03/22/13 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG24
What's up everybody?

First of all, I must give you guys some background on my baseball gaming experience in the past. I have owned both a PS3 and a XBOX 360 since the systems first came out and since day one I have been a devoted MLB The Show consumer. I believe I bought MLB 2K7 to play with my older brother who came to visit from the Dominican Republic and since I had two controllers for that system and the game was cheap I decided to give it a try. Since then I have not owned a MLB 2K series game, even though I do download the demo every year just to see what 2K has to offer.

Approximately 6 months ago my PS3 died on me and I have refused to pay to get it fixed especially with the PS4 just around the corner. Coming into this baseball season I knew that I was going to rely on MLB 2K13 in order to get some baseball action. I have been reading reviews left and right and man for a second I could not believe that the game could be this bad. I went to RedBox and rented the game for a couple of days and I liked what I saw, so against all of those people writting bad reviews I chose to pick up the game.

I picked up the game on Saturday and I have been playing non-stop ever since. I have started a couple of franchises (fantasy and real teams) and so far I am enjoying the game even more than I have enjoyed the Show before. I do not know how to explain it, but the game is simply fun to play. I know that many people are saying this is the exact same game as MLB 2K12 was, but for someone like me who did not play the MLB 2K series in the past, this game is great! I have downloaded the most up to date rosters I was able to find and as I previously stated I am loving this game.

Now, let's get one thing clear; you cannot compare the graphics to MLB The Show. The Show is a BEAUTIFUL game and that is one thing that I miss, but once you get past that, there is not much else to miss. I honestly feel the gameplay offered by MLB 2K13 is more fun to that of the Show, but I cannot figure out yet what it is that makes it more fun. Not even when MLB The Show firt came out was I able to play three or four games back to back, I simply got tired / bored and I ended up calling it a day with it. With MLB 2K13 I have been playing all weekend and I cannot wait to go home today after work and play some more.

Anyone else in here who has not played the MLB 2K series in recent years and is enjoying this game?
I believe its a few things that make this game fun.

1. presentation. it's top notch, commentary, layouts etc.
2. the pace of the games are faster than THE OTHER GAME
3. the ease and simplicity of franchise mode. this is a plus and a negative. If you are truly a die hard fan then this may be a big disappointment. BUt if you are looking for a franchise mode with a less cumbersome feel than THE OTHER GAME, it winds up being perfect.
4. pitching and hitting.
5. the sim and arcade-y feel seems to be perfectly balanced.

if 2k had done a better job with the graphics then the game would have fared better against THE OTHER GAME.

Don't get me wrong, THE OTHER GAME still reigns supreme, but 2k has always been solid enough.

# 147 CMH @ 03/22/13 11:52 AM
Guys, calling it The Other Game doesn't excuse you from not mentioning The Show. It's The Show. No one is oblivious to what you're talking about so please stop talking about it.

# 148 tvman @ 03/22/13 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
Rented the game through redbox and agree with many of the impressions on here. Fun game, but I'm going to wait for the price drop because I own 2k11 for the pc and 2k12 already and it's not that big of an upgrade.

In fact, there is one area I wish they would fix or someone would come up with a workaround. Why is it that the defense plays in on the corners when there isn't a legitimate bunt single type hitter up? It drives me crazy! Just look at the gameplay video of the Dodgers - A's somewhere above in the forums and the corner infielders are in for Mark Ellis leading off the game!

How are you guys dealing with this? Two controllers?
Maybe Ellis has a high bunt attribute or the game just looks at him as a leadoff hitter?

# 149 tril @ 03/23/13 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Guys, calling it The Other Game doesn't excuse you from not mentioning The Show. It's The Show. No one is oblivious to what you're talking about so please stop talking about it.
I know!!! the lines are just blurred here as to whats exceptable and whats not. can I mention the SHow even though Im not bashing either game... Its hard to make a point without mentioning the title of the competition, regadless of how its metioned.

# 150 CMH @ 03/23/13 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
I know!!! the lines are just blurred here as to whats exceptable and whats not. can I mention the SHow even though Im not bashing either game... Its hard to make a point without mentioning the title of the competition, regadless of how its metioned.
There's nothing wrong with saying; I like this and that better than the Show.

There is everything wrong (you didn't do this) in saying The Show is horrible when we are here to talk about MLB 2K. No one cares if you think The Show stinks.

If your post, however, turns into a list comparison of both titles then it should be in the Baseball (Other) forum as its no longer an MLB 2K impression. It's a comparison post.

Your post wasn't necessarily wrong. I'm just pointing out that saying The Other Game isn't a pass.

Guys like to come to either forum and say "...unlike that other game which isn't very good," and then wonder what they did wrong when I think it's pretty clear.

Sent from my mobile device.

# 151 MizzouRah @ 03/23/13 04:47 PM
After several more games and a good slider set, this game is fantastic. I'm enjoying it much more than I did 2k12 as it just seems to flow better and the AI for the most part does the right things.

Definitely has that one more game.. oh man it's 2am, feel to it for me.

# 152 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/25/13 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchleague

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
I "think" you click down on the L stick.
Close! Intentional walk is push in R-stick. Saves you some time....beaning the CPU works just as well imo....

# 153 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/25/13 08:22 PM
Great thread. I want to 2nd a lot of the remarks about 2K13 in here. For me, after collaborating with BIGFNJOE96 on sliders (shameless plug for his slider thread ), this game plays like a champ.

I just wanted to share some of my observations about this game, because I agree, yes it is noticing the little things that work so well, and although MLB13: The Show is lauded for its depth (which I can't personally attest to since I haven't played it), 2K13 is certainly solid there also. Here's my top 10 off the top of my head....

1. Have you noticed the full-count called strike 3 animation? The one where the CPU hitter is sure he has a walk but gets rung up? I love how the batter takes a few steps toward 1st and then gets incredulous with the ump!

2. How about the CPU pitching AI? It's a pretty solid mix of balls and strikes to begin with, but then it seems to adhere to the old adage of "getting to a starter early." I've noticed a few times the CPU starter comes out and walks maybe 2 batters on 8 straight pitches before settling down in the first. A nice touch. But, some better control pitchers pound the zone from the start. So it varies!

3. The commentary!!! OMG, THE COMMENTARY! Not only the voices and personas of Thorne/Phillips/Kruk, but the depth! That they have dedicated commentary for lesser known guys like Jose Altuve, Brett Wallace, and Erik Bedard of the Astros is superb. Also, it is almost NEVER out of place; it's always in sync with the game and relevant. Steve Phillips chiding me after throwing a high changeup is always fun.

4. The dynamic player ratings and hot/cold streaks actually matter. I got hot with Mike Olt and really started giving it to the pitcher. It felt like my good hitting was rewarded.

5. The animations where the players in the dugout/coaches try to avoid an incoming foul ball--solid.

6. The fact that stadium scoreboards are dynamic is always nice.

7. The CPU pitcher actually retaliates quite often when beanings start happening is nice. In older games, I was able to bean w/o mercy and my hitters were never put in harm's way. Players can get hurt on beanballs too, which is excellent.

8. Inside Edge is a nice amount of in-game data (3 screens for hitters, 2 screens for pitchers) that tell you what you want to know without dominating your time in-game.

9. With some minor tweaks to CPU player positions, you can be sure that the right guys are playing the right positions (J. Upton in LF and Heyward in RF for example rather than Heyward backing up Upton in RF and Reed Johnson playing LF). The CPU also does a nice job formulating it's lineups. It's not 100% sim, but they actually make sense. David Wright leading off for the Mets as I've seen is actually interesting...

10. The player ratings matter!!! Speedier guys with range/defense are actually more useful than in years past where it seemed like all the fielders were robots. I have actually seen Delmon Young take a TERRIBLE route on a flyball that resulted in a triple for me. It seems so realistic since Young is an awful fielder.

ohhh, and for you sim-heads...

11. The simulation stats engine in this game is nice! Sim a whole season and you won't be disappointed in the MVP/Cy Young/WS Champ or other stats.

# 154 DJ @ 03/25/13 11:37 PM
I'm very close to trading in NHL 13 towards this game. But, I really like the edits that are being done to 2K12 too, so I'm in a quandary.

# 155 SlowDownTurbo86 @ 03/26/13 05:52 AM
I have literally never owned an MLB2k game before this year. A few years back I had a ps3 which I eventually sold and I was in love with The Show. I bought this game with little to no expectations and immediately plugged in BigFNJoe's sliders and got to work.

I have to say, this game's pitching is amazing and once I learned to be patient at the plate and refused to use classic batting I started hitting pretty well. I'm running a couple of franchises just to practice until the opening day roster update and I'm loving it. I can win good competitive games even with a garbage squad like Houston. And when I lose it doesn't feel like I got "cheesed". It's not much to look at it but the gameplay is there and that's what matters to me.

I give this game an 8/10

# 156 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/26/13 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus13
Hey MT,

It's by the CPU. The jogging glitch is when u have a hit in the gap or over the outfielder head, the second outfielder that's close too the ball just jogs on the play and really doesn't make a effort. Even if that outfielder has a better angle too get too the ball. That wasn't really in 2k11, but showed in 2k12 and now in 2k13. Also the pause glitch is when u hit the ball in the outfield and the cutoff man just holds the ball and does a backstop. Allowing inside the park home runs and runs from first too home. I have even seen, where the runner would be on third, then would advance too home after about 3 seconds even when the cutoff man has the ball. The cutoff man would then throw the ball when the runner is halfway too the plate, allowing the run home.

It's not user control, but the CPU that does this. There is a issue when pursuing the ball that it seems that u can't control the direction u want too go in the outfield, it seem like its scripted for some reason. Also there is a slight hesitation when throwing the ball on certain plays. So fielding has been a issue since 2k12. it was a lot better in 2k11. I hope they can patch this issue and its not in the coding. I guess we'll find out in June or July if there is a patch.
I have seen both of these, but they aren't really gamebreakers for me. I'm not sure how they are leading to inside-the-park HRs for you though. I've seen these glitches, but they have never resulted in inside-the-park HRs in my games. I think there may be some slider tinkering you can do to prevent this. You may want to lower baserunner speed or up fielder throw speed. Or do something with baserunner aggression.

As for the jogging glitch, I find that the CPU determines which OF has a better chance on the ball and let's you control that one. The second OF just jogs, that's true. But if you really notice, the OF the CPU gives you is always the right choice, although sometimes this isn't apparent until the ball caroms of the wall and changes trajectory etc..

As for the cutoff man glitch, it does seem like the cutoff man is hesitant to make throws to the plate, but for me, this only really happens when I'd almost certainly be safe anyway and they want to prevent another baserunner from moving up by not making an unnecessary throw. Again, this has not been a problem from an inside-the-park HR sense for me.

I've played 30-35 games and have seen a grand total of 1 inside-the-park HR and it had to do with a misplayed dive in the OF and not with these minor "glitches."

With the throw meter, I have not seen any delayed throws at all.

Also the OF pursuit IS scripted in the sense that your OF player starts (gets a jump) toward the direction the ball will land in. However, once you are in motion, you can back out/go a different direction, though I don't see why you'd want to. Think of it this way, it's a bit of an auto-assist feature since you really have no way of gauging where the ball is heading at the crack of the bat. It's a bit of a head start.

# 157 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/26/13 03:49 PM
Quote:
Hey wait,

The inside the park home run occurs when the runner rounds third from second and the cutoff man just holds the ball and does that backstop. The problem is that there are some plays that clearly the cutoff man can throw home and tag the runner before he gets too the plate. With the pause glitch, that doesn't occur resulting in runs. Also the problem with the jogging glitch is, that there are plays that the other outfielder has a better angle too get to the ball first. which doesn't happen because the CPU takes control of a central player that runs too the ball. In baseball u often see more than just one outfielder trying too get too the ball, resulting in sometimes players colliding and crossing each other. It was in 2k11, then the problem started in 2k12. So I don't know what the developers was thinking at the time. I'll try lowering the aggression on bases and see what happens. It's something like the catcher always flying out too get a bunt and the pitcher is in better position too get the ball. I think the AI is messed up somehow
Fair enough. I was just chiming in to say that I do see the animations you're talking about, but for me (like for MT Oread above) at least it's not as pronounced as what you're seeing. There have been no inside-the-parks for/against me on these like I've mentioned. And really not many plays I can think of where the relay would've beat me. When I see the cutoff man holding onto the ball, my runner is generally ~1/2 way or more from 3rd to home (never just rounding 3rd) and the cutoff man is also all the way in the OF sometimes.

I also think the CPU always gives me the best OF with the best chance. Certainly the "jogging" could be improved upon since often more than 2 OFers have a legitimate play on the ball. But I've never been given the "wrong" outfielder for pursuing a ball. Sometimes I think I am, but that's mostly the frustration that comes with "oh, crap I need to get the ball in so the CPU doesn't score on me!"

Certainly for aesthetic purposes, I'd rather see 2 OFs busting it after the ball, but for gameplay it's really been a non-issue for me. I'd also like to see the "slow turn" animation at bases gone, but again it doesn't happen all the time and never affects the gameplay. But, I agree the animations (and faces) are a place this series could be improved upon.

# 158 tvman @ 03/26/13 07:20 PM
You can easily stop the inside the park hrs. by you, just don't run home. Not the best solution but what else can you do.

# 159 Yeats @ 03/27/13 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
You can easily stop the inside the park hrs. by you, just don't run home. Not the best solution but what else can you do.
Bob Uecker: "JUUUST a bit outside the normal application of 'house rules.'"

That's not a fix and there's gotta be a better answer than that. Imagine playing Madden and having to intentionally run out of bounds on the 2-yard line to prevent yourself from scoring a TD. That would be considered a broken game.

# 160 Yeats @ 03/27/13 09:12 AM
Quote:
I hope that they can patch this glitch along with the jogging glitch. It wasn't that bad in 2k11, because there was more urgency in players.
Yes, which is why I've said several times that 2K11 is the pinnacle of these series, and why I play it instead.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.