Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Now that the game is released to all, this is the place to post your impressions.

As a reminder, this is not a thread for questions. Please use the MLB 2K13 Q&A thread for that.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/06/13 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
I picked it up for PS3 and I can give you the 360 Comparison because I played it a lot in the store.

• The colors on PS3 don't look as perfect as the colors in the store on 360, but then again it could be my settings on the TV
  • The commentary is terrific. I've heard a lot of quips I hadn't heard before.
  • Animations and gameplay is all exactly the same.
  • The injuries in franchise are NUTS. I simmed through spring training with the Yankees in Youkillis, Tex, Cano, Sabathia and Eduardo Nunez all had major 50+ day injuries ... just in spring training.
  • Game seems to play solid. It's going to be a fun game to play now and then but I won't be playing it for hours, every day.
I notice this also, when I simmed a season couple of pages back. Look like the Injury Slider will need to tweaked again this year

# 42 mkharsh33 @ 03/06/13 09:54 AM
I am NOT working on any rosters or sliders for this game - AT THE MOMENT. I'm committed to working with the team for the 360 roster project here, so that will be my focus right now. The time it would take me to work on sliders AND rosters is immense, and with all I've done for 12, I just can't justify it right now.

What I see happening (for me) is that 12 will be the game I immense myself into (only because of the depth of our rosters) but 13 will be the game I play for fun MLB Today matchups (when the season starts). I'm kinda burnt out on this stuff. Though I deeply appreciate the kind words & the desire of those here to have me put some sliders and rosters together, I think my age (40.9 years), schedule & family life are creeping up on me to where I just can't invest the time like I used to. I also need to get back into my exercise & reading routine (that I've let slide) - so please know that this game is really good, and if you are a baseball fanatic - I'd call this a "must have" game because it's everything we wanted 12 to become. It's like a patched 12 where everything is tighter & crisper, and you will really enjoy the small, yet key, improvements they've made.

It's not worth comparing this game to the "other game" as that's not the point. But I think 2K did a solid job this year, when it was largely believed this game wasn't a reality... Personally, I'd give it an 8.0 out of 10 just based on the improvements & fun factor.

If anyone is looking for possible sliders, see my thread for 2K12 - page 1 / post 1. Note that I'm not using classic hitting any longer - ditched that a month ago for the swing stick hitting. I also put 3 changes for 2K13 near the end of that thread that you can read there (if interested). As far as rosters, some guy on 2K Share has the most downloaded roster set - they're pretty good. All the big transactions are made and he's also put the batting orders together pretty well (I wonder if he was using our OpSports team's roster file for 2K12 for his research as it was really well done).

I have not delved into any other modes outside of play now / exhibition games. But what I've seen in reviewing this game is pretty good.

# 43 tsbraves @ 03/06/13 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
... please know that this game is really good, and if you are a baseball fanatic - I'd call this a "must have" game because it's everything we wanted 12 to become. It's like a patched 12 where everything is tighter & crisper, and you will really enjoy the small, yet key, improvements they've made.

It's not worth comparing this game to the "other game" as that's not the point. But I think 2K did a solid job this year, when it was largely believed this game wasn't a reality... Personally, I'd give it an 8.0 out of 10 just based on the improvements & fun factor.
MKharsh33:
You have been my "go to" guy for rosters, sliders, plus even answered some of my roster questions a few years back. So, while I've been REALLY hesitant to spend my good hard money on this game your review did it for me. I trust your "8 out of 10" evaluation and so it's 2K13 for me! Thanks for all your time consuming work in the past and your willingness to rate this years game.

# 44 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/06/13 11:22 AM
I will say this, the seperation between the Good Teams & Bad teams are very evident in this game. Playing the DODGERS @ Chavez with the Yanks & both Kemp & Gonzalez are raking..

I'm really liking the way the games are playing. The infield animations are looking real good. Fielders are planting their feet before throwing which is always a good thing. Right now I'm using 15 for both IF/OF Speeds which seem to be giving realstic results.

Also Beckett is throwing a helluva game. You really have to work the count this year or else pitchers will own you. I've also noticed the Strike Zone has a lot of variety to it. Not everything on the black is called a strike which is also a plus

# 45 econoodle @ 03/06/13 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordeal47
I always put the injuries to 10 in MLB.
When i was doing simming on the full game at Best Buy, I had the slider @ 18 and it seemed a bit much.

# 46 BiggFelix @ 03/06/13 11:52 AM
My impression of this game is that it is nothing more that 2k12 pre patch. All of the old glitches returned. If you field the ball too close to 2nd base, no throw to 1st, catcher takes his time to throw to 1st on a k in the dirt, outfielders take crazy paths to the ball, the list goes on and on. All of which were issues upon release of 2k12. I own both games and online games in 2k12 are 1000 times better in all aspects imo.

# 47 AcceptedIntern4 @ 03/06/13 11:59 AM
I played the game for about 6 hours last night and I wanted to give the community my opinion of the game. If you disagree please tell me why you disagree.

Let me first give you a little background on my expectations heading into the purchase of this baseball game. I had very little expectations and in fact have been happy with a version of 2K12 with updated rosters and maybe some minor tweaks. Given the timing of the MLB Agreement with 2K I knew that there was very little they could redesign or fix in a major way and I was OK with that. After paying $60.00 for the game and playing it for 6 hours last night I came away feeling duped, conned, cheated, lied to, and most importantly taken advantaged of. What 2K put out in terms of a baseball game this season is completely unethical.

The game is an exact copy of MLB 2K12 (Pre-Patch) minus Online Leagues. How can 2K get away with this legally? They released no information regarding the lack of features or the changes in the game. They didn't list the changes, because there wasn't a single change except roster updates and a new cover athlete. I lost all and any respect I had for 2K with the release of this game.

2K had earned my respect as a company back in 2005 when they decided to take on the giants in the sports gaming industry by simply making a revolutionary product and pricing it at $19.99. After I bought their sports lineups that season I was a 2K fan for life (at least I thought I would be). They made the cost of getting a second sports game inconsequential and because they made such great games they captured a large share of the sports gaming marketplace. I was sold on all of 2K Sports products from then on. When I had a choice of sports games I always went with 2K. They just made better games, had better developers, and always improved their games in dramatic fashions year over year. Not this time, this ploy was such an egregious display of how video game makers (particularly sports games) think they can do nothing and we as the loyal fan base will buy it and love it. To an extent it is true, but at least in most cases other than this one the game has a new look, new graphics, new something. This game has nothing, in fact it is less than the game I purchased at the same price point last season.

Now that I have rambled on and made myself extremely angry overall at video game makers, here is my review of the awful game that is MLB 2K12-13:

OVERALL GAME
2K12 was a pretty solid baseball game after the patches. I was hoping that this game would have at least that base and maybe smooth out a few other minor hiccups that were left unfixed last season. This game unfortunately reintroduced us to the glitches (Details Below) that made it unbearable to play. I have seen so many people on this forum talking about how good the colors are, or how polished the game commentary is and my response to all of them is "WHO CARES?!?" If this game was in black and white and had no sound at all, but played smooth with no glitches then who cares about the game commentary or the vibrant colors?

GLITCHES
All of the pre-patch 2K12 glitches are magically back and have reappeared. It is amazing when you consider that 2K already fixed all of these bugs. This just further laments the fact that they did nothing to the street date copy of 2K12 except slap a new sticker on the front and add in new rosters. Again my expectations were realistic and I was OK with a post-patch 2K12 version of this game. Here are a list of the glitches that are back and every one of them were in 2K12 before the patch:

1. When playing online and a runner gets to second base there is lag. (Solution for all of you online gamers is to use pitcher or pitcher 2 camera)
2. The controller glitch - This is when all of a sudden the throwing meter goes crazy. You will continue to throw the ball all around the diamond until you disconnect your controller and reconnect it.
3. Catcher and the Bunt: The catcher doesn't field the bunt properly and neither does the pitcher. With a reasonably fast guy you can bunt safely right up the middle I will say 8 out of 10 times.
4. Catcher and the Tag - this when you throw the ball to home and the catcher is standing in front of the plate and does not make the tag. My advice to all online players is to send the runner, because 9 out of 10 times you will be safe at the plate.
5. Outfielder robots - this is when the CPU takes control of the outfield and makes them run a less than ideal route to the ball. This turns into a ton of fielding errors and passed balls that are fairly routine plays.
6. Lined up catch - This is when you are in ideal position to catch a fly to the outfield and at the last second the outfielder glitches and twitches causing a missed routine out.

Those are the 6 that were patched from 2K12 last season and appear in the game this season. It is just amazing.

To wrap up I would just like to say that 2K could totally redeem themselves by patching in online leagues and rolling in the same patches from last season. However, as we all know given the lack of interest 2K has in supporting this series a patch is highly unlikely. If it does come I will be loudest supporter of 2K. If I was giving a score for this game it would be a 1 out of 10 and that is because a zero would have been no game at all.

PLEASE MAKE THIS RIGHT 2K!

Sincerely,

Intern

# 48 davis420 @ 03/06/13 01:18 PM
I just started the game and let the first demo game play. Marlins at Baltimore. I like what I'm seeing so far. The crowd looks better to me. I saw pitching changes at good times. The O's had a 3 run lead in the top of the 9th and Johnson was out there to try for the save. He had the bases loaded with 2 outs and gave up a double. Buck didn't give him the chance to finish and brought in Patton(LHP) to face a lefty and seal the deal. I'm ready to dive in for my 1st game now!

# 49 MizzouRah @ 03/06/13 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis420
I just started the game and let the first demo game play. Marlins at Baltimore. I like what I'm seeing so far. The crowd looks better to me. I saw pitching changes at good times. The O's had a 3 run lead in the top of the 9th and Johnson was out there to try for the save. He had the bases loaded with 2 outs and gave up a double. Buck didn't give him the chance to finish and brought in Patton(LHP) to face a lefty and seal the deal. I'm ready to dive in for my 1st game now!
That's GREAT, I just ordered! That would NEVER happen in 2k12!

# 50 mkharsh33 @ 03/06/13 03:35 PM
I've played 2k11 and 12 to death. I can honestly say 13 is NOTHING like the pre-patched 12. I really don't get how guys are finding this... I don't see anything close to that.

# 51 schmit_95 @ 03/06/13 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I've played 2k11 and 12 to death. I can honestly say 13 is NOTHING like the pre-patched 12. I really don't get how guys are finding this... I don't see anything close to that.
That is awesome to hear. But if you can, how so specifically? I really want to get this, but 59.99 whle not a ton of $$ to me, seems alot if it doesnt have many differences to 2k12. Thanks for your response!

# 52 IowaAJ @ 03/06/13 04:08 PM
The ball physics seem much more refined I've had a few balls hit over my left fielders head and the ball just rolled and stopped at the wall instead of bouncing.

# 53 havoc00 @ 03/06/13 04:17 PM
I rented it from Redbox. Im enjoying it so fdar and will prob buy it soon. I had a PS3 for years and enjoyed the Show, so I never gave the 2k series a chance but this is a fun game of baseball

# 54 DaveDQ @ 03/06/13 04:21 PM
I've never seen a 2K game work the count on both sides like this one. I really enjoyed worrying about my pitcher's composure in the 4th after giving up two runs and then see it come back in the 6th. I was also able to get the Pirates to relieve Burnett in the 6th because of fatigue.
With this game's presentation and commentary, it's really fun to sit back and not button through things.

# 55 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/06/13 04:48 PM
Just picked it up and will get back with impressions, I own the other game bur couldn't resist, I love baseball too much..

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

# 56 mike24forever @ 03/06/13 05:11 PM
Just finished my first Spring Training game in my Jays franchise, won 2-0. Fun game and I had no issues except...I don't even know what to call it, but...

After a double switch in the 5, after replacing my position player with my pitcher, Adam Lind runs down the baseline and stands in front of the batter on the first baseline. He just stood there! After I threw the first pitch, he went back to 1st. Anyone else see anything like this?

# 57 tvman @ 03/06/13 05:31 PM
Bunt coverage!!!

# 58 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/06/13 06:01 PM
Picked up the game about over an hour ago, played one game and hey I really enjoyed myself, was fun felt like a real broadcast, I won the other game too and it's a nice switch up for sure, didn't play 2k12 that much last year, I think im going to have fun with this game this year..

The one thing is, we can speed the pitch speed up a bit correctly it seems to slow on all star default

# 59 mike24forever @ 03/06/13 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Bunt coverage!!!
Standing a foot away from the batter box? Definitely not!

# 60 DJ @ 03/06/13 11:49 PM
Joe, MK and guys that have played 2K for years, are you using similar slider adjustments from 2K11-12, or does the game play OK on default difficulties?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.