Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

UTC has posted their Madden NFL 25 gameplay roundtable. A few of the guys there have had hands-on time with the game.

Quote:
For years, FBs have been rendered useless to a good degree because they wouldn’t logically block the closest threat to the RB. Now, it seems that your blockers only go for the most realistic threat to the play and not just aimlessly running downfield to block someone that has no impact on the play outcome. This will be nice to see how this plays out with screens and short pass plays as well. To see how players seek out defenders to pick them up and seal off the section of the field to allow the ball carrier to realistically get downfield. Also, what must go along with it to be authentic, is the blocking animations need to be more realistic and move away from the static “phone booth” engagements between the defender and blocker respectively.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 roadman @ 04/29/13 09:55 AM
Now that is an honest assement of where things stand.

Nice find.

# 2 jpdavis82 @ 04/29/13 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Nice find.
Yeah I agree 100% with them and that's why when they tell me they didn't see or notice certain things in their hands on time with the game, that people have been concerned about based on one trailer, I feel better about where Madden 25 stands.

# 3 NikeBlitz @ 04/29/13 10:19 AM
Quote:
Buckeye: Ball Hawk is still in the game which is horrible news for every realism based player. Being able to hold a single button and have a defender (yes even a defensive tackle) run into position and make an over the shoulder interception is a very bad thing. The probability boost of getting an interception by using Ball Hawk is crazy, from my personal experience its nearly 100%. We cannot have a realistic football game as long as things like this are there. At best we can hope for an “On/Off” toggle in CCM and other modes. Hopefully they can get it in there since I bring it up every time I talk to the dev team. Honestly MANY of us have brought this to them as an issue. we all need to FIGHT to have these things eliminated. At the very least make them be lower skill level only. Once you get to All-Pro or All-Madden they are unable to be used. I will say it now, if you use Ball Hawk… you are a chump.
This. Overall, very good read. EA has their feedback, let's see how this turns out ...

# 4 jpdavis82 @ 04/29/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBlitz
This. Overall, very good read. EA has their feedback, let's see how this turns out ...
I tweeted them about this earlier today.I think everyone who wants EA to make the best possible game needs to stand behind and support these guys and stop fighting them, because they have the attention of the devs more so than anyone else. For those on twitter, tweet @eamaddennfl and let your voice be heard.

# 5 khaliib @ 04/29/13 11:03 AM
I think the bottom line is that everyone's perception of "What Football" should look like ranges across a broad spectrum and that it doesn't mean that one is right, while the other is wrong.

With that, I believe this is what's represented in various post concerning EA's brand of football on just about any/every discussion board concerning the sport.

Oftentimes when I see posting from those who have had some pre-release play time (at whatever build stage) I immediately know that my perception of football and the in's and out's of the video game representation will be very different.

My point of view comes from my experience at all 3 levels as well as from a coach's point of view, which in many ways, may be why I'm so critical about what plays out on the screen. I know that vast number of other gamer's will post perceptions that will in some ways agree, and in many disagree with what I see (even from a simple screen shot).

Take this and the history of the game maker and it's football game, one can see why gamer's viewpoints of EA's football games range from one end to the other.

The truth is that the "Sports Gaming Standards" are against Madden and NCAA which adds to the dissection of their football games.

The question isn't...
Will Madden 25 be better than any other prior Madden release?

But rather, will Madden 25 meet or be better than the Sports Gaming Standards that other games have set?

This question is what I look for in any pre-release play review/write-up concerning any sports game.
In the case of Madden/NCAA, I'm just not seeing in their words something/anything that says the games have finally met and/or exceeded that standard.

I guess my personal perception's "WOW" factor is set TOOOO high for this game maker!!!

Good feedback though.

# 6 CoreySA @ 04/29/13 12:13 PM
We appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks for reading. Just remember that no matter if we're Game Changers or not, we still have concerns and issues. We're always trying to improve the games we play but that doesn't necessarily mean they listen to us at all times.

Keep hitting us with feedback and we'll keep bringing it to the studios.

# 7 roadman @ 04/29/13 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreySA
We appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks for reading. Just remember that no matter if we're Game Changers or not, we still have concerns and issues. We're always trying to improve the games we play but that doesn't necessarily mean they listen to us at all times.

Keep hitting us with feedback and we'll keep bringing it to the studios.
Corey, thanks for stepping in here and responding.

Have you played any parts of the game, yet? pre-alpa, alpha? etc.......

I was wondering if you have seen more wrap-up tackles, yet, vs some of these collision style hits with these trailers we are seeing?

# 8 CoreySA @ 04/29/13 12:35 PM
I haven't played the game as of yet, but what I can say is that I'll be playing the game very soon. More of my focus will be on CCM, but my hope is to get a good handle on the gameplay as well. Once I've got my time in, you can expect me to be around here more and more to communicate some things.

I also have a thread up in the wishlist section in regards to CCM feedback, so feel free to add to it if there's anything you want me to bring up. Think about adding it sooner rather than later

I'll take all of your questions into account and report back once I have some hands-on. Cool?

# 9 Only1LT @ 04/29/13 12:48 PM
"Madden had the best overall player movement on the PS2/Xbox era of gaming. EA needs to take from that and make something better than anything else that was ever produced in the past. There was no such thing as “zig-zag running”, “route mirroring”, or “hummingbird movement” back then, it definitely shouldn’t be there now, especially when you’re talking about realism and authenticity."

PS2 Madden had the best player movement? No route mirroring on PS2? No zig zag running?

Whaaaat?

# 10 jpdavis82 @ 04/29/13 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
"Madden had the best overall player movement on the PS2/Xbox era of gaming. EA needs to take from that and make something better than anything else that was ever produced in the past. There was no such thing as “zig-zag running”, “route mirroring”, or “hummingbird movement” back then, it definitely shouldn’t be there now, especially when you’re talking about realism and authenticity."

PS2 Madden had the best player movement? No route mirroring on PS2? No zig zag running?

Whaaaat?
Yes he's absolutely right, player movement was much better before the 360/PS3 versions.

# 11 Only1LT @ 04/29/13 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Yes he's absolutely right, player movement was much better before the 360/PS3 versions.
Better than horrible does not equal the best.

And there is very much so route mirroring on PS2, and zig zag running. It is possible to shake the entire 11 man kickoff team, multiple times, on one kickoff return, without employing a single special move from a button or right stick on PS2. I know because I have done it many times, and have multiple friends that could do it at will as well.

And the term psychic DB's was in use before this generation.

The movement, animations, and momentum on PS2 was terrible. Just not AS terrible as now.

I must be older than all of you or something.

# 12 jpdavis82 @ 04/29/13 01:12 PM
Quote:
Better than horrible does not equal the best.

And there is very much so route mirroring on PS2, and zig zag running. It is possible to shake the entire 11 man kickoff team, multiple times, on one kickoff return, without employing a single special move from a button or right stick on PS2. I know because I have done it many times, and have multiple friends that could do it at will as well.

And the term psychic DB's was in use before this generation.

The movement, animations, and momentum on PS2 was terrible. Just not AS terrible as now.

I must be older than all of you or something.
Nah I started playing Madden in 92

# 13 Only1LT @ 04/29/13 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Nah I started playing Madden in 92
Madden has always been behind in animations to it's competitors.

It had worse animations than Joe Montana. Worse animations than Gameday. Worse than 2K. Worse than... well there isn't anything for it to be worse than now, but if there was, I can assure you it would be. The same goes for it's basketball games, tennis games, Baseball games.. let's just put it out there, EA Sports in general has a very bad track record for animation tech. And player models, but's that's a whole other can of worms. I have no idea how, because none of the others have anywhere near the resources put into Mo-Cap that EA does.

Last gen animations at the very least did not suffer the OBVIOUS hitching in rendering that the current gen does, but that, in and of itself, doesn't make them realistic.

It's just bizarre. They use state of the art motion capture to capture movement. What exactly is their technology and or process that it comes out looking the way that it does? I seriously can't see how it would be possible for a mo-cap actor to run hunched over like that without falling over unless he was in a wire harness...

Maybe I'm onto something lol.

# 14 Only1LT @ 04/29/13 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
I am a little concerned or maybe misunderstand the defensive "Breakdown" for tackles....I like what is being said, but will it mean that all tacklers will breakdown all the time, thus eliminating the ability to hit a player full speed? As obviously, players do hit at full speed at times as well as breaking down all based on situation at the time...I just hope Breakdown allows for full speed hits too...
From what I gathered(?) "Breaking Down" will be activated via the left trigger. I would assume that if you didn't use the button, that you would still run full speed to the tackle and would risk how successful it would be...

# 15 Danimal @ 04/29/13 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Nice find.
People are entitled to read and listen to anyone's opinions they wish and I don't know Corey at all so this isn't directed at him.

I didn't even know about this site existed until last week but considering who the founder is and how he behaved here last year. I'll personally have a hard time considering information posted their unbiased.

# 16 Smoke6 @ 04/29/13 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBlitz

Quote:
Buckeye: Ball Hawk is still in the game which is horrible news for every realism based player. Being able to hold a single button and have a defender (yes even a defensive tackle) run into position and make an over the shoulder interception is a very bad thing. The probability boost of getting an interception by using Ball Hawk is crazy, from my personal experience its nearly 100%. We cannot have a realistic football game as long as things like this are there. At best we can hope for an “On/Off” toggle in CCM and other modes. Hopefully they can get it in there since I bring it up every time I talk to the dev team. Honestly MANY of us have brought this to them as an issue. we all need to FIGHT to have these things eliminated. At the very least make them be lower skill level only. Once you get to All-Pro or All-Madden they are unable to be used. I will say it now, if you use Ball Hawk… you are a chump.
I am not pleased about the part I bolded, it doesnt make sense to basically have a "focus group" of guys give their honest feedback only to see them get shunned while trying to help improve the game and check off one more complaint on the list for good reason. I wish Tiburon would understand that know one catches every pass thrown to them on either side of the ball and ballhawk is a feature that really has to go along with a few other things but this mind frame so far doesnt bode well for me.

But good read fellas and some enlighten stuff for me to think about these next few months. Game goes gold soon and im actually tired of "patch city" out of the gates with this game.

# 17 Smoke6 @ 04/29/13 04:27 PM
Quote:

It had worse animations than Joe Montana. Worse animations than Gameday. Worse than 2K. Worse than... well there isn't anything for it to be worse than now, but if there was, I can assure you it would be. The same goes for it's basketball games, tennis games, Baseball games.. let's just put it out there, EA Sports in general has a very bad track record for animation tech. And player models, but's that's a whole other can of worms. I have no idea how, because none of the others have anywhere near the resources put into Mo-Cap that EA does.

Last gen animations at the very least did not suffer the OBVIOUS hitching in rendering that the current gen does, but that, in and of itself, doesn't make them realistic.

It's just bizarre. They use state of the art motion capture to capture movement. What exactly is their technology and or process that it comes out looking the way that it does? I seriously can't see how it would be possible for a mo-cap actor to run hunched over like that without falling over unless he was in a wire harness...

Maybe I'm onto something lol.
Not buying into this mo-cap stuff at all, EA just needs to suck it up and grab that natural motion engine and run from their. Its something that shoulda been done along time ago and since the Madden name holds soo much more weight, that engine and game gets lil to no shine and thats sad.

I dont care how early in production this game footage was in at the time, I still have a hard time understanding why they're not building on existing code with tweaks and updates to its features but instead goes full on re-write every cycle?

# 18 roadman @ 04/29/13 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
People are entitled to read and listen to anyone's opinions they wish and I don't know Corey at all so this isn't directed at him.

I didn't even know about this site existed until last week but considering who the founder is and how he behaved here last year. I'll personally have a hard time considering information posted their unbiased.
I understand what you are saying and I agree with that.

There are some out of those listed that I will pay more attention to.

# 19 Only1LT @ 04/29/13 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Not buying into this mo-cap stuff at all, EA just needs to suck it up and grab that natural motion engine and run from their. Its something that shoulda been done along time ago and since the Madden name holds soo much more weight, that engine and game gets lil to no shine and thats sad.
I would have loved to have seen this happen.

Not to get too far into comparing the two, but I think that Euphoria in BackBreaker had a ton of more potential than the Infinity Engine. And before anyone gives me the obligatory post about how buggy BB was, I agree, it was. IE was buggy too though. The difference is that everyone, for some reason, is OK with giving Tiburon as much time as they need to get IE perfected, but Natural Motion had to get it right the very first time and they didn't even have any kind of budget.

I can only imagine the kind of Football game that could have been produced from all that potential of Euphoria, if it were handled by a team that actually knew the first thing about American Football.

/rant.

# 20 CM Hooe @ 04/29/13 04:50 PM
Quote:
Predictably, I disagree with this statement as a blanket fact.

In particular, anyone I ever played football games with on Gen-6 consoles (PS2/XBOX) preferred Madden to other football games from an animation perspective because it was perceived as more fluid and less jerky, notably when the ballcarrier was running. The technology before that point wasn't good enough for any game to have "good" animation or for there to be any useful comparison, IMO.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.