Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

MyMaddenPad has posted another Madden NFL 25 read option article. In this one, Shopmaster goes into how to stop the read option. More specifically, how you can control how the read defender will react (attacking the QB or RB) on read option plays.

Quote:
I asked Creative Director Rex Dickson how this worked and he explained to me that in Madden 25, pre-snap on defense, there is a Defensive Key option available when the user enters Defensive keys, this is the flow and behavior:

You first Press LT/L2 to enter Defensive Keys

Then it depends on whether you want to attack the QB or the RB:
  • Press X/Square to have the Read defender go after the Runningback – The Read will crash and chase the Runningback
  • Press A/X to have the Read Defender go after the Quarterback – The Read will stay at home and attack the QB when he starts running

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 drowsike @ 06/05/13 10:27 AM
I wonder if this will work for NCAA

# 2 kbomb1upc @ 06/05/13 10:52 AM
Nice, I wonder if this can work for Wildcat plays?

# 3 jpdavis82 @ 06/05/13 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbomb1upc
Nice, I wonder if this can work for Wildcat plays?
I would assume it would. I just tweeted Shop about this.

# 4 BV11 @ 06/05/13 10:58 AM
It was kind of annoying not knowing how your guy will play it, so this is a welcome addition.

# 5 The_Rick_14 @ 06/05/13 11:29 AM
I was wondering if they were going to give us a way to determine how we wanted to defend the option.

I like this but thought it might have made more sense as a gameplan strategy so that the Coach Mode players out there still get a say. Might still work well enough for them though.

# 6 jpdavis82 @ 06/05/13 11:41 AM
Shop just replied to my question about if this works for the wildcat as well.

@Shopmaster: @jpdavis1982 should work the same in any formation that has a read.

# 7 N51_rob @ 06/05/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BV11
It was kind of annoying not knowing how your guy will play it, so this is a welcome addition.
You mean like in real life? I don't like this at all. So far the NFL hasn't shown an ability to stop the read option. Why give the user one button that will essentially take all the randomness out of it.

When the Redskins played the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, Washington left DeMarcus Ware unblocked on just about every running play and left him to make the call. Ware was rendered useless for much of the game because of the great ball handling of RGIII and his natural aggression. Dallas coaches were telling DeMarcus to stay at home and not bail on his assignment, but he kept doing it. Now EA gives us a button to take that away.

Based on most running plays in Madden 13, the best way to stop this would be to just have the defender take the QB, because the blocking on the rest of the play was rather bad. Not a fan of this move at all. And yes I do use the Redskins and see the potential to limit the impact of my QB.

# 8 kbomb1upc @ 06/05/13 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Shop just replied to my question about if this works for the wildcat as well.

@Shopmaster: @jpdavis1982 should work the same in any formation that has a read.
Thanks JP.

# 9 N51_rob @ 06/05/13 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
Last year we saw more of the Read Option and to very good success; rarely in the NFL does anything, outside the basics, last longer than a year...I am willing to bet the Read Option this year will go the way of the wildcat....
Except that the main ball handler in the read option can throw the ball as well as run it. It still seems to be living and thriving in college. The spread read option is another evolution of the game. How many game plans employ the principal of "Lets leave the best pass rusher on the other team unblocked every time we are in this formation."? It needs to have all the pieces to work though.

Washington, Seattle and San Fran were so effective because of their running backs. They could run through those off balance arm tackles and move the chains. If Washington tried to run that offense with Roy Helu, it would've been dead in the water. Having a back that can run through tackles and gain 4,5,6, yards is what makes that edge defender feel like he needs to chase the RB to help the defense, because everytime he stays at home and watches the QB the RB gains 6 yards.

That said, I fully expect to see the defense make some adjustments to the read option this year and contain it better. But, it will still come down to a few simple things, discipline and tackling.

# 10 cuttingteeth @ 06/05/13 02:18 PM
The way to eventually stop the read option is having committed assignments and likely two LB spies, as well (one for the QB - one for the primary RB). In the committed assignments, the blocking/decoy backs should get swallowed up.

So, in Madden 25, my best bet is having defensive calls against such read option (ab)users being every formation with a spying LB, trigger/button my commits and probably being USER with another LB (or a NB, even).

# 11 hanzsomehanz @ 06/05/13 02:41 PM
I welcome a strategy assignment, like NCAA but the power to dictate the assignment in "bullet time"?

It is another training wheel mehanism. Is this feature an option? Is the offensive prowess really this powerful that it warrants these heat-seeking radar devices on defense?

I guess this is a 'flaged way of disgusing reads as you can clearly now make any individual great or poor in the "heat of the moment" (by bypassing ratings that govern this read and react ability) - It is not like the CPU uses these controls.

It is yet another indicator of more user tyranny destroying the integrity of the game. It appeases arcade fanfare and although it may share a potentially safe *risk:reward factor, what good is it for the CPU AI in the balance of gameplay?

Will I use this tool? Perhaps. I may have no choice if the CPU AI does not use their brains to adjust. I already had the power to spy and set QB edge contain which has worked well enough in the past.

*This feature reminds me of playmaker control albeit playmaker control was more relevant in the simulation sense. I wonder what the window of opportunity is like: Is there a slowdown effect that gives the User D time to lock-on and engage?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

# 12 The_Rick_14 @ 06/05/13 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
You mean like in real life? I don't like this at all. So far the NFL hasn't shown an ability to stop the read option. Why give the user one button that will essentially take all the randomness out of it.

When the Redskins played the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, Washington left DeMarcus Ware unblocked on just about every running play and left him to make the call. Ware was rendered useless for much of the game because of the great ball handling of RGIII and his natural aggression. Dallas coaches were telling DeMarcus to stay at home and not bail on his assignment, but he kept doing it. Now EA gives us a button to take that away.

Based on most running plays in Madden 13, the best way to stop this would be to just have the defender take the QB, because the blocking on the rest of the play was rather bad. Not a fan of this move at all. And yes I do use the Redskins and see the potential to limit the impact of my QB.
Was that said somewhere that the Dallas coaches were telling Ware to stay at home? Because I just found the Redskins offensive plays in that game on youtube and to me I looks like the gameplan was to check the back first and then pursue because not once does Ware (or the other DE) ignore the back.

# 13 N51_rob @ 06/05/13 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
Super Bowl was not won by a Read Option team. I get what you're saying, I just disagree...Also, get a QB, that million dollar baby, knocked out of a game or more and you will see a new story told...
Serious question. How many shots did the big three Wilson, Griffin, and Kap take on read option plays. Very few big ones and none that injured them. RGIII was injured twice on scrambles called from drop back passing plays where he made stupid decisions. vs Atlanta stayed in bounds for 3 extra yards on vs Baltimore ran back to the middle of the field vs running OOB, vs Seattle re-injured it trying to make an across the body throw.

You mention that a read-option team lost in the super bowl. Fair point but all three read option teams made the play-offs and two won their division.

Quote:
Defenses just need to spread the play is all; maintain gaps and pursuit paths...Teams that got beat by the Read Option where over zealous and bunched their defenses up; the GB Packers are a perfect example; they lacked patience and discipline to contain the Read Option.
Easier said than done, though. How do you reign in that natural aggression of a defender who has been trained his whole life to chase the football when you see it and to tackle the running back? There is a reason that Georgia Tech has success against teams that only have 1 week to prepare for it, and struggle during bowl games when teams have a month. Its very hard to tell a guy one thing for 16 weeks then tell him to do something completely different for 1 week.

But you are welcome to your opinion and you respected mine, and I can will do that same for you. Defense will make adjustments and contain some aspects of it, but the chess match will continue as these offense add new wrinkles as well. It will be a good season to have Game ReWind and access to coaches film.

# 14 roadman @ 06/05/13 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Serious question. How many shots did the big three Wilson, Griffin, and Kap take on read option plays. Very few big ones and none that injured them. RGIII was injured twice on scrambles called from drop back passing plays where he made stupid decisions. vs Atlanta stayed in bounds for 3 extra yards on vs Baltimore ran back to the middle of the field vs running OOB, vs Seattle re-injured it trying to make an across the body throw.

You mention that a read-option team lost in the super bowl. Fair point but all three read option teams made the play-offs and two won their division.

Easier said than done, though. How do you reign in that natural aggression of a defender who has been trained his whole life to chase the football when you see it and to tackle the running back? There is a reason that Georgia Tech has success against teams that only have 1 week to prepare for it, and struggle during bowl games when teams have a month. Its very hard to tell a guy one thing for 16 weeks then tell him to do something completely different for 1 week.

But you are welcome to your opinion and you respected mine, and I can will do that same for you. Defense will make adjustments and contain some aspects of it, but the chess match will continue as these offense add new wrinkles as well. It will be a good season to have Game ReWind and access to coaches film.
Heck, McCarthy sent all his defensive coaches to a training session with Texas A & M.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/mobile/...97&tagID=11049

# 15 Facts @ 06/05/13 03:24 PM
This is great news. People who run RO over and over can be stopped easily now. How to you beat the defense though? Set'em up and make them pay for cheating over to the RO. Throw over the LB biting down or run at the gap that the DLman should be.

Love that they gave more user control to the user on defense. This is realistic. Really wish they put the gameplan feature from NCAA to Madden. More user coaching involved.

# 16 jeffmanqb3 @ 06/05/13 03:25 PM
I believe this is a great addition. I have a hard time believing NFL defensive ends randomly pick who to attack like they do in previous Madden games. I should be able to tell my end to stay at home if I'm playing someone like Washington. However, I think there should be some incorrect reads if the player has a low awareness or play recognition rating.

# 17 hanzsomehanz @ 06/05/13 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmanqb3
I should be able to tell my end to stay at home if I'm playing someone like Washington.
You already can.

Go look at your defensive, single player hot audibles - you can set an individual edge contain.

EA needs to teach Football and rid themselves of this high-end waiter mindset that caters to serving success on a gold platter.

Because someone is lacking competence and or too lazy to study their control concepts, we warrant these training wheels? It is no wonder the gimmicks make the game feel so easy breezy.

Ignorance is selling this bliss.

# 18 jpdavis82 @ 06/05/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
You already can.

Go look at your defensive, single player hot audibles - you can set an individual edge contain.

EA needs to teach Football and rid themselves of this high-end waiter mindset that caters to serving success on a gold platter.

Because someone is lacking competence and or too lazy to study their control concepts, we warrant these training wheels? It is no wonder the gimmicks make the game feel so easy breezy.

I believe that is what the skills trainer is going to be used for. Help teach people football.

# 19 jeffmanqb3 @ 06/05/13 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
You already can.

I have a couple of things. First, the edge contain hot route does not work. The end will still follow the running back. Second, what if the offense doesn't run a read option? I shouldn't lose a pass rusher every time the offense passes out of pistol or shotgun because I want to contain the quarterback on read option.

# 20 infemous @ 06/05/13 04:25 PM
I'm in two minds on this one.

Personally, I think it is stupid when an opponent calls a read option play over and over again and the DL attacks the RB every time.

I find it hard to believe that the DeMarcus Ware example from last year will repeat itself.

I do however feel that no-one in their right mind would ever go after the RB. This makes this control function slightly overpowered...

I wonder how this works for play action off the option? Can you automatically know whether it is a run or play action based off of this control?

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.