Home
FIFA 14 News Post

Check out the latest next-gen FIFA 14 Living Worlds trailer, as well as the latest FIFA 14 blog detailing how Living Worlds brings FIFA 14 to life with living and breathing sidelines, 3D crowds, match flow, in-game director and more.

UPDATE: We have just added five high definition FIFA 14 screenshots.

Also, make sure you check out the FIFA 14 gameplay PS4 and Xbox One videos below and post your thoughts!

NextGenGamingBlog

NextGenGamingBlog

IGN

FIFA Soccer 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ddvette9 @ 08/21/13 11:32 AM
Not impressed SO FAR.......still waiting

# 2 Bawstun @ 08/21/13 11:37 AM
Without title, I probably would've thought it was current gen.

# 3 Yeats @ 08/21/13 11:59 AM
Posts 2, 3 and 4 said it all.

# 4 atc43 @ 08/21/13 12:01 PM
Yea like everyone else this looks just like current gen with slightly upgraded lighting etc...The player animations are the same from what i can tell too.

Also the midfield play still seems non existent, just up and down, with not much in between.

PES is looking better and better..

# 5 Yeats @ 08/21/13 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc43
The player animations are the same from what i can tell too.
PES is looking better and better..
After 11 months of playing FIFA 13, I do see a noticable improvement in animation smoothness. I also see new animations as well. Overall though this looks like what one would expect as an upgrade from FIFA 13 to FIFA 14 current-gen, whereas PES 2014 looks like a whole new game in many ways.

# 6 NightmareBooster @ 08/21/13 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
God you people are hard to please, I thought the game looked impressive. I think the ignite engine is pretty awesome.
An example of EA's marketing genius hard at work.

# 7 Yeats @ 08/21/13 01:03 PM
Quote:
God you people are hard to please
What's with the personal comment, and what does that have to do with your impressions of the videos you just watched? Also, the people who you claim are hard to please are the same people who are lavishing praise on current-gen PES. So obviously we're not hard to please at all. On the contrary, we're more discerning than other people are apparently.

# 8 ccoaxum @ 08/21/13 01:27 PM
the game looks good but the videos are not showing much either to say that you don't see any improvements...and base off the new engine that they made your not going to really see it unless you actually have game on your hands because the biggest part the engine is doing is making the player movements look better and realistic..the crowds and lighting is the only thing you can look at in the videos and see the changes. better cuts or foot planting is more of feel which is something the engine is the biggest thing this new engine was made..the other stuff is just extra things EA threw in that claims the engine improve like the crowds,improve sidelines and visual..as far i'm concern they could do that with out that new engine...wouldn't couldn't do 100 percent right is foot planting and realistic movements.........this game looks little better then current gen from what i can tell but i believe it will get better come 2015

# 9 ianlast @ 08/21/13 01:27 PM
Echoing what the first 3 posts said, those gameplay vids are a bit disappointing and look somewhat current-gen. I thought the Ignite engine was going to revolutionize player movement, but I'm still seeing the same issues I have with current-gen FIFA, specifically with players that glide down the field with little regard for weight and momentum.

It's good in a way, because it's putting my expectations for the EA launch titles firmly in check.

# 10 Yeats @ 08/21/13 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
the game looks good but the videos are not showing much either to say that you don't see any improvements...and base off the new engine that they made your not going to really see it unless you actually have game on your hands because the biggest part the engine is doing is making the player movements look better and realistic..the crowds and lighting is the only thing you can look at in the videos and see the changes. better cuts or foot planting is more of feel which is something the engine is the biggest thing this new engine was made..the other stuff is just extra things EA threw in that claims the engine improve like the crowds,improve sidelines and visual..as far i'm concern they could do that with out that new engine...wouldn't couldn't do 100 percent right is foot planting and realistic movements.........this game looks little better then current gen from what i can tell but i believe it will get better come 2015
Actually, an EA rep stated last week that FIFA next-gen plays about the same as current-gen, and that the Ignite improvements have to do with visuals. That can be seen in these videos IMO. The player movements, player positioning and overall gameplay flow appears to be identical to current-gen. I get no sense of any kind of improved on-the-pitch experience, certainly no sense that footplanting or player momentum plays any role in the gameplay.

# 11 ccoaxum @ 08/21/13 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Actually, an EA rep stated last week that FIFA next-gen plays about the same as current-gen, and that the Ignite improvements have to do with visuals. That can be seen in these videos IMO. The player movements, player positioning and overall gameplay flow appears to be identical to current-gen. I get no sense of any kind of improved on-the-pitch experience, certainly no sense that footplanting or player momentum plays any role in the gameplay.
if he said that then that must be only for fifa this because i know for a fact that the engine is suppose to improve the foot planting which is one of things madden is suppose to have as well..so maybe they didn't have time to had that change to fifa but at the same time fifa was already pretty much good in some of these areas compared to madden but if you go to easports.com and look at ignite engine page it will show you all of the things that it suppose to do and it is not just visual.

# 12 ianlast @ 08/21/13 01:45 PM
Quote:
Actually, an EA rep stated last week ago that FIFA next-gen plays about the same as current-gen, and that the Ignite improvements have to do with visuals. That can be seen in these videos IMO. The player movements, player positioning and overall gameplay flow appears to be identical to current-gen. I get no sense of any kind of improved on-the-pitch experience, certainly no sense that footplanting or player momentum plays any role in the gameplay.
Thanks, that would make sense. I got no sense from those videos that player movement was in any way improved from current-gen FIFA.

# 13 Yeats @ 08/21/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Thanks, that would make sense. I got no sense from those videos that player movement was in any way improved from current-gen FIFA.
It could be the smoother animations and transition animations will add to the overall gameplay, so who knows. Also, I read a preview of FIFA 14 current-gen, and the reviewer was commenting on how the improved player momentum made the game feel almost too sluggish. So it could be improvements were in fact made to area of the gameplay as well.

# 14 ccoaxum @ 08/21/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Gamescom: FIFA 14 - The Next-Gen Difference is in the Detail
Next-gen football is series of small steps forward rather than one giant leap.
by Alex Simmons AUGUST 21, 2013
At a quick glance the differences between FIFA 14 on current-gen and Xbox One and PS4 aren’t immediately apparent. Sure, the graphics are sharper, the players move with greater fluidity and the crowds look and sound more alive than ever before, but first impressions are that it’s very much business as usual. Likewise, when you spend time out on the pitch there’s a sense of familiarity, that this is the FIFA you know and love.

The reality is, FIFA 14 on next-gen isn’t a giant leap forward, either as a football experience or a technological showcase to impress your mates with. There are better games to show off the grunt of Xbox One and PS4, and FIFA 14 on current-gen is already as good a football game you can want. But what next-gen FIFA does offer are handful of subtle improvements that, together, refine the gameplay so it feels reassuringly familiar, but at the same time sufficiently different.

We’ve already covered FIFA 14’s trio of new features – True Player Motion, Human Intelligence and Living Worlds - in detail, but now we’ve had the chance to play a newer version of the game and for longer, it’s only now we can see the differences in play.

Take True Player Motion – essentially it means the players move and react more realistically, and it’s most noticeable when your player is preparing to take a shot. Previously, when shooting on goal players entered a fixed animation, which was the same whether you were toe-poking the ball or curling a shot from the outside of your boot. Now it’s completely contextual – players will take a half-step to make sure they can take the ball on their favoured foot; they’ll open their body and change shape to curl a shot into the top corner. Indeed, players have a greater sense of weight and momentum than before, so the passes they’re able to play will depend on the speed and direction of their run, and of course their ability as a player.

Ball movement feels more realistic too. It’s only a small detail, but ping a cross from one side of the pitch to the other and it’ll swerve in the air, depending on the spin from the kick. It’s a nice touch and real helps bring the game to life.

Importantly, anyone familiar with FIFA and indeed football will feel comfortable with these improvements because they occur dynamically, meaning you don’t need to learn new skills to use them – they happen automatically, depending on the circumstances of the situation, so the position of the ball, the player, and so on. If the ball is coming in high you’ll automatically take it on your chest to control it; if it’s lower your player will trap it using his feet. Admittedly they’re not next-gen-defining leaps forward, but these incremental changes add up and together make FIFA on PS4 and Xbox One more fluid, realistic and ultimately satisfying.

Elsewhere, it definitely feels like the other players in your team are smarter; strikers are much more active on making runs and putting pressure on the back four, while defenders will cluster together to make it harder to break through on goal.

The changes off the pitch really help bring the game to life, too. If a ball goes out for a throw-in a ball-boy will scamper along the sidelines, pick it up and roll in to the awaiting player; if the ball is booted into row Z, the crowd will toss it back. And sometimes, just like in the real game, the ball-boy will grab a spare and throw it back while the other ball is still on the pitch. meaning you have to wait for it to be kicked out of play before continuing. It’s a nice touch and because there are no breaks in the action – the camera stays on the ball at all times and only cuts away for replays of goals, fouls and near-misses – there are times when you’d be forgiven for thinking you were watching a real match on television.

The same goes for the introduction scenes before each game, which have been a big focus on next-gen. Prior to kick-off the camera sweeps around the stadium and takes in the surrounding area, adding an element of spectacle to the game. Again, a nice touch, although I’m not convinced it’s something you’d sit through time and again.

Lastly, there’s the crowd. For the first time in a football game all 80,000 fans are fully realised, chanting, cheering and waving throughout the game. The roar of the crowd gets louder the more you dominate play, plus they’ll pick out individual players if they’re playing well. But the impact of the crowd is purely superficial – the home team won’t get a morale boost from playing at their ground.

FIFA 14 is a confident step forward rather than a bold reinvention, then. Importantly, it will be as fully-featured as the current-gen game, so Matchday and Ultimate Team will again be the backbone of the game. There’s Legends too, so if you’re playing on Xbox One – and, for that matter, Xbox 360 – you get access to 40 footballing legends to boost your ultimate team.

So the question is, will you be buying the current-gen game when it comes out in September or wait a couple of months for next-gen? Based on what I’ve played, waiting that little bit longer will be worth it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/gamescom-fifa-14-the-next-gen-difference-is-in-the-detail

# 15 ccoaxum @ 08/21/13 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
there are improvements but not enough to make you go crazy..you would have to play current gen and then go to next gen to see the little difference between the two...the problem is fifa already had a good game so they haven't really made any huge changes in their game this year..just from what i seen and heard so maybe 2015 will be a bigger jump but this its not

# 16 Yeats @ 08/21/13 02:00 PM
Thanks for the article. So it does say there is a "greater sense of weight and momentum than before" in FIFA 14 next-gen, so that's something. I'm on the PC and I'm not going next-gen, so it really doesn't matter to me. I said a while back that if current-gen FIFA has incorporated player momentum this year, that's probably the one and only reason I'd consider getting it. So we'll see.

# 17 Yeats @ 08/21/13 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
there are improvements but not enough to make you go crazy..
As in crazy happy there's finally player momentum in the game? Cause that kind of crazy would be a good thing.

# 18 ccoaxum @ 08/21/13 02:10 PM
Quote:
As in crazy happy there's finally player momentum in the game? Cause that kind of crazy would be a good thing.
lol well yea but you know everybody looks for different things in their gameplay but that it is good improvement but i glad you like the article...we gamers got to stick together lol

# 19 Gnemi @ 08/21/13 02:27 PM
Attacking:
If there's a change to the "feel" factor of player movement / momentum AND if I'm able to score a significantly wider variety of goals with any degree of certainty, I'll be happy. I don't have a bunch of data to support my argument mind you, but I'd hazard a guess that 80% of my goals look identical. Wingers cutting in and abusing fullbacks to find a wide-open look on goal OR deflections that my strikers clean up.

With '13, it was a micro-step forward from '12 in terms of playing against AI (the only mode I care about).

The only way I can conceive of scoring goals with more variety in '13 is by learning the Finishing Moves, I mean dribbling nonsense. That's just the thing though: I refuse. I have attackers who can dribble and I'll use double triggers and sprint to utilize their abilities, but to go so far as remembering the fireball combo dribbling moves, that's when I tap out.

So, will long distance shots be more common than Haley's comet? Will my attacking teammates actually go on non-idiotic runs through the AI defense? Will crosses actually reach 6'6" attackers being defended by 5'9" defenders? These are the things that really matter to me.

Defending:
Yeah, I admit, defending is pretty monotone and dull. Use contain, stay in front of defenders, safely shoulder tackle when you have the chance. Rinse-n-repeat. There's nothing remotely intelligent about defending in FIFA.

Oh, and please don't let me rely on my keeper having 7.5+ performance game in and game out. That's dogged FIFA for the last few years, certainly for '12 and '13. Even my keepers with 70 OVR tend to be beasts and sliders are only marginally helpful in that regard.

If EA make the AI earn their goals and make me defend intelligently and if EA don't rely on the AI scoring CHEAP goals, I'll be happy. Even if they try to accomplish these things, I'll be happier.

# 20 NightmareBooster @ 08/21/13 02:48 PM
Quote:
And an example of the cinical mindset of so many gamers today.
To correct you, mine is the personal opinion of an informed consumer, but allow me to elaborate. I don't know how long you've been playing the FIFA series for but I've played every iteration since 2006 and over the years I've become familiar with how EA markets their products. They're campaign is always based on visually impressive eye candy along with buzzwords that make incremental additions to gameplay seem like brand new features, and I welcome anyone who disagrees to provide evidence as to the contrary.

For example, look at the rear box-art for FIFAs 11, 12, & 13, each of which boasts new features, then tell me how the core gameplay between them is dramatically different. This is not to say that the game hasn't improved, however, faults within the gameplay that existed 3 years ago (poor defending AI, ninja dribbling, collision detection, etc.) still exist, and they drag down the on-pitch experience. When you couple that with the quote from the EA rep about how the Ignite Engine's improvements are mostly visual, why would I expect next-gen FIFA 14's GAMEPLAY, not it's visuals, to be much better than current-gen?

Long story short, what I stated above, along with the fact that to date EA has spoken a great deal about gameplay improvements without showing much gameplay, leaves me skeptical considering their track record. If you perceive that to be representative of the cynical mindset of today's gamers, then I'm sorry to have offended you.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.