Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 brettryantalley @ 03/06/14 12:07 AM
Pretty pumped about this. I have 2 questions going into it...

1. Do the carry over saves include online franchise? Seems like its a pretty big question and may have missed the answer somewhere.

2. Having never gotten into online games/franchises, I need to do some research in how scheduling works and what flex scheduling is. With 3 kids on top of work and life, i'd be worried there wouldn't be much opportunity to get games scheduled. LOVE the idea of have an all team human online franchise, but may end up doing the online franchise with all CPU like I did with madden.

# 82 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettryantalley
Pretty pumped about this. I have 2 questions going into it...

1. Do the carry over saves include online franchise? Seems like its a pretty big question and may have missed the answer somewhere.

2. Having never gotten into online games/franchises, I need to do some research in how scheduling works and what flex scheduling is. With 3 kids on top of work and life, i'd be worried there wouldn't be much opportunity to get games scheduled. LOVE the idea of have an all team human online franchise, but may end up doing the online franchise with all CPU like I did with madden.
flex scheduling commish can open a certain block of games say 3 in a 7 day span or open where you can play any game on the schedule at any time

# 83 kehlis @ 03/06/14 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
pretty sure you can play by yourself similar to offline
My understanding is that I can, I'm just not interesting in paying for ps plus in order to play a franchise by myself. I simply don't play enough other games or utilize the ps4 for anything else to justify it.

I got the ps4 mainly for the show and the money isn't the question, I just don't see the need for it.

It's not a big deal, I will still enjoy the game immensely, but like I said, I'm really just surprised that offline didn't get the stuff online did.

This team has my faith and always has but this is just really disappointing news to me. I'll be okay though, 6 am comes fast

# 84 smiley3 @ 03/06/14 12:19 AM
So no player card stats for offline franchise

# 85 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley3
So no player card stats for offline franchise
I think that was a pretty solid guess a while back.
But I hear you.

M.K.
Knight165

# 86 zack4070 @ 03/06/14 12:29 AM
I just hope offline franchise is the same. Ive always though offline franchise has been just fine. As long as they don't take anything away from it Im good! I don't have the frickin time to dedicate my busy life to an online franchise where I have to rely on people and they have to rely on me.Offline suits me just fine. Hope its the same at worst.............

# 87 MantiMania @ 03/06/14 12:41 AM
I appreciate the transparency from SCEA.

Very disappointing news, but I respect the devs for being upfront about it the best they could.

This changes a lot for me. I'm quickly losing respect for Sony as a publisher and their business model as it relates to their first party games.

Online passes, online exclusive content, DLC, fremium, microtransactions, and a lot of this stuff is quietly becoming less and less optional.

Why is it impossible to pay 1 fee and get the full features of a game anymore?

I'd rather they just charge $100 for the game, so that I don't have to constantly be nickelled and dimed and upsold once I buy it.

So that everything the devs program and implement in the game will be available to everybody 100%, and they can solely focus on making great feature-rich experiences for the players, and not constantly having to try to monetize their fans.

It feels like buying a book, chapter 5 is missing, but you need to buy "book subscription +" to read chapter 5 which is exclusively published online, and then randomly chapters 8, 9, and 10 have paragraphs that are blacked out, but can be viewed with a small fee, etc. etc. etc.

Just really frustrated to see a game I absolutely love going the way of EA ... and it has gotten progressively worse since about 2010 or so.

More and more things being blocked/paywalled on top of the purchase of the game (online passes, microtransaction fremium modes, pay to win modes, online-only features that are pay-walled, etc. etc.)

This nickeling and diming business model is becoming increasingly more frustrating with no evidence of it stopping or slowing down.

# 88 ManiacMatt1782 @ 03/06/14 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
The problem I have and why I don't play online (other than lag) is I don't like waiting on someone to play in a league/franchise. Every league I've ever been in it seems to take forever to line up a game time or even when you do someone is late, yada yada yada. I just don't have the patience for that. Offline you fire it up and you're ready to go, that's why I gave up on online a couple years ago. The appeal is there, it just never seems not to be a struggle for one reason or another.
that is where the commissioner has to be a good commissioner and not invite everyone and their mother to the league. I was in an nhl 13 league that went 6 82 game seasons plus playoffs and every game was pretty much played. You know how we got it to work? We only let people with similar schedules in the league, The rules were simple Be on between 6:30 and 8:30 pm to get games in. If you only have people with similar schedules, they can actually work quite well.

# 89 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
that is where the commissioner has to be a good commissioner and not invite everyone and their mother to the league. I was in an nhl 13 league that went 6 82 game seasons plus playoffs and every game was pretty much played. You know how we got it to work? We only let people with similar schedules in the league, The rules were simple Be on between 6:30 and 8:30 pm to get games in. If you only have people with similar schedules, they can actually work quite well.
Lol and its not like you need 30 owners

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

# 90 jmaj315 @ 03/06/14 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
My understanding is that I can, I'm just not interesting in paying for ps plus in order to play a franchise by myself. I simply don't play enough other games or utilize the ps4 for anything else to justify it.

I got the ps4 mainly for the show and the money isn't the question, I just don't see the need for it.

It's not a big deal, I will still enjoy the game immensely, but like I said, I'm really just surprised that offline didn't get the stuff online did.

This team has my faith and always has but this is just really disappointing news to me. I'll be okay though, 6 am comes fast
Get PS+ and download the free games! For both ps3 and ps4 (and vita). I don't spend a ton of time on all of them, but you can always go back and play them as long as you're still PS+
Like once summer hits I might start playin Borderlands 2... just because. (sorry for the mini rant)

Anyways, I will agree with you that it's a bummer that offline franchise won't have the same features as online. I recently started playing an offline franchise where I'm trying to play every game (until ps4 version is released) and I quite enjoy it. It helped me remember how much I love baseball and how much I love playing The Show. (now if I could just get my sliders right)

That reminds me...
Will generated counts be available for online franchise? I don't recall.

# 91 MrOldboy @ 03/06/14 12:58 AM
So now that we know some things won't make it into offline franchise, what exactly can you NOT do online that you CAN do offline.

30 team control in the way you can offline? Editing players? Managing injuries? etc.

It'll be a big decision if I want to go online or offline. So far, unless the trade logic, offseason logic and stat tracking are mindblowing improvements I think I'll still stick with offline if it lets you control more.

I gues also if simming takes a lot longer in online franchise that would also affect my decision.

Lots to think about now since I have both options, but both have their advantages and disadvantages from a single player perspective.

# 92 kehlis @ 03/06/14 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Quote:
Lol and its not like you need 30 owners

I can't speak for Kevin but I think you guys are missing the larger point he was trying to make with online leagues so I only speak for myself but I understand what he's saying.

With online leagues, you have to schedule a time, be on time and hope the other person is on time. On top of that, if something comes up, you really can't pause the game and hope the other person doesn't do the same.

When playing offline, I can start a game at 6, play a couple innings, just pause it if something comes up for an hour or so and get back to it later.

I get both sides of it, but for my schedule it isn't fair to me, or more importantly to my opponent to be nailed down to it. Stuff happens.

Some just like the flexibility of playing offline against the CPU and it's just frustrating to see that we will have to pay extra if we want to see all the new features they added this year to just have a fully functional single player franchise.

# 93 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantiMania
I appreciate the transparency from SCEA.

Very disappointing news, but I respect the devs for being upfront about it the best they could.

This changes a lot for me. I'm quickly losing respect for Sony as a publisher and their business model as it relates to their first party games.

Online passes, forced online, DLC, fremium, microtransactions, and a lot of this stuff is quietly becoming less and less optional.

There are a lot of reasons why publishers want you to play online and it's for one reason and one reason only -- so that the player base can be nickelled and dimed.

Why can't I just pay 1 fee and get the full features of a game anymore?

I'd rather they just charge $100 for the game, so that I don't have to constantly be nickelled and dimed and upsold once I buy it.

So that everything the devs program and implement in the game will be available to everybody 100%, and they can solely focus on making great feature-rich experiences for the players, and not constantly having to try to monetize their fans.

It feels like buying a book, chapter 5 is missing, but you need to buy "book subscription +" to read chapter 5 which is exclusively published online, and then randomly chapters 8, 9, and 10 have paragraphs that are blacked out, but can be viewed with a small fee, etc. etc. etc.

Just really frustrated to see a game I absolutely love going the way of EA ... and it has gotten progressively worse since about 2010 or so.

More and more things being blocked/paywalled on top of the purchase of the game (online passes, microtransaction fremium modes, pay to win modes, online-only features that are pay-walled, etc. etc.)

This nickeling and diming business model is becoming increasingly more frustrating with no evidence of it stopping or slowing down.

I'm sorry....I'm as disappointed as anyone about certain things not being in the offline franchise mode as the online......but it has zero to do with trying to nickel and dime you into it.
Every year.....something in the game gets the "special attention" and this year it was online.
Ramone has stated that the two(online/offline) are not a "copy and paste" and it's evident that they wrote it for one....tried to get it into both, but just couldn't do so.
There was PLENTY of things worked on for "offline only" modes(RTTS got some BIG dev time)....so your theory just doesn't hold water.

.....and comparing it to EA or 2K in those terms?...
That's ridiculous.

M.K.
Knight165

# 94 kehlis @ 03/06/14 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
Get PS+ and download the free games!
Please read my posts again, I've already explained why I'm not interested in this.

I could care less about "free games" since I don't play much to begin with.

# 95 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 01:04 AM
Lol now everyone knows how us online guys have felt the last 4 years with no franchise period finally get some love and best of all if you want to experience its all there

# 96 kehlis @ 03/06/14 01:06 AM
Quote:
Lol now everyone knows how us online guys have felt the last 4 years with no franchise period finally get some love and best of all if you want to experience its all there

Yep, I don't want to come off as bitter, I truly am happy for you guys.

# 97 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I can't speak for Kevin but I think you guys are missing the larger point he was trying to make with online leagues so I only speak for myself but I understand what he's saying.

With online leagues, you have to schedule a time, be on time and hope the other person is on time. On top of that, if something comes up, you really can't pause the game and hope the other person doesn't do the same.

When playing offline, I can start a game at 6, play a couple innings, just pause it if something comes up for an hour or so and get back to it later.

I get both sides of it, but for my schedule it isn't fair to me, or more importantly to my opponent to be nailed down to it. Stuff happens.

Some just like the flexibility of playing offline against the CPU and it's just frustrating to see that we will have to pay extra if we want to see all the new features they added this year to just have a fully functional single player franchise.
Fast play quick pitch/generated counts is an option

# 98 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 01:12 AM
Quote:
Fast play quick pitch/generated counts is an option

Is player lock?
...I can't remember.
I'm guessing no.

M.K.
Knight165

# 99 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Is player lock?
...I can't remember.
I'm guessing no.

M.K.
Knight165
Nope a lot of info hard to remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Moses that don’t support QC, are RTTS, Show Live, and Diamond Dynasty.

PL isn’t in RTTS, Show Live, Diamond Dynasty, and ALL online modes except for Online Franchise (but PL is only functional for vs CPU games).

# 100 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 01:18 AM
Quote:
Nope a lot of info hard to remember
Groan......
I thought maybe an online pitching franchise.

Moses?......he's busy parting the Red Sea....isn't he?...
No wonder!

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.