Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

According to the PlayStation.Blog, it doesn’t look like we will see an NBA 2K15 demo this week. Demos typically release 2 weeks before the game releases to stores, which means we probably won't see one this year, for the second year in a row.

We have reached out to 2K for confirmation and will update this post when we hear back.

UPDATE: Just received confirmation, there will be no NBA 2K15 demo this year.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Bingo on this point. Take most peoples favorite, 2k11.

Remember the uproar because Momentous was able to make a high light reel with Steve Blake in 2k11's demo?

It's so funny reading all the threads around that time...
We've been around here too long, 24th. It doesnt matter what game it is....OSers will pick it apart. Most casual fans dont care about gameplay vids. They get excited enough for sizzle trailers. Gameplay vids are for hardcore fans like the ones on OS.

Those are the same fans that pick apart the video and are likely to create posts that could discourage someone from buying the game. I'm sure companies like EA and 2k see this and say "Why do we continue to do this. Why are we providing content that people will use to discourage others from buying the game?"

# 22 supermati @ 09/21/14 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Not really. Lets play a game. Question: What do you think is the best/most realistic version of 2k? I bet you within 30 minutes I can find 10 posts bashing/picking apart early gameplay videos of that game.

My point is that no one has ever shown me evidence that releasing early gameplay videos or a demo directly correlates with an increase in sales and thats all 2k cares about. Its not lack of confidence...its why do something that isnt likely to increase sales. Shoot, last year's game sold well without a ton of early videos and no demo.
I never disagreed or referenced that notion, every game will always get nitpicked. That shouldn't mean however, that we don't get a legit chance to either see the game in action in a proper manner or even try it before hand.

I don't agree that a demo won't help them improve their sales. Loyal fans will buy the game regardless. But there's also an audience that will grow in consideration if they get the chance to either view or try the new and improved gameplay.

# 23 countryboy @ 09/21/14 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermati
I keep saying that because there haven't been any officially released videos, making it really hard to come up with conclusions about the actual gameplay since they always seem to be called "older builds" by 2k staff.
The demo would be an older build as well. Anything that is put out prior to when the dev team is finished tuning gameplay, is an older build.

Quote:
Not releasing gameplay videos and not releasing a demo either are two behaviors that show a lack of confidence, at least when it comes to selling their improved gameplay.
But yet, there are gameplay videos....

# 24 supermati @ 09/21/14 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
The demo would be an older build as well. Anything that is put out prior to when the dev team is finished tuning gameplay, is an older build.

But yet, there are gameplay videos....
No official videos with a current build have been released yet.

# 25 kehlis @ 09/21/14 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
Giving out a free sample of your game can get people to try that game that may never have tried it. Especially people with PS4s. I know there have been a few games I bought just on playing a demo, loving it, and picking it up. People don't want to pay to try out a product they aren't necessarily fans of. But if it's free then some may be willing to give it a try out of boredom or to see what the hype is about and get hooked.
Conversely, someone who's on the fence may try it and decide not to buy it based on the demo.

In the current state of video games and not having to leave your couch to buy a game there are a ton of impulse buyers. May as well have them buy the game on an impulse rather than download the demo as an impulse.

# 26 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
Giving out a free sample of your game can get people to try that game that may never have tried it. Especially people with PS4s. I know there have been a few games I bought just on playing a demo, loving it, and picking it up. People don't want to pay to try out a product they aren't necessarily fans of. But if it's free then some may be willing to give it a try out of boredom or to see what the hype is about and get hooked.
What basketball fan hasnt played 2k14? Even if they havent played the 2k series on next gen, I promise they've played it on last gen. If they are unsure about buying it they can rent it, read impressions and buy it, or wait until a price drop and buy it.

I dont necessarily buy that there is a big pool of non-basketball fans waiting to buy a basketball game. For example, I'm not a big fan of hockey. I played the NHL 15 demo and EA Access game and liked it alot (even though most of OS hated it). Did I buy NHL 15 after enjoying the demo? No, because I'm not that big a fan of hockey.

# 27 countryboy @ 09/21/14 12:53 PM
Quote:
No official videos with a current build have been released yet.
so you're wanting gameplay videos everytime they get to a new "current" build???

# 28 supermati @ 09/21/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
so you're wanting gameplay videos everytime they get to a new "current" build???
No. I'm not talking about multiple gameplay videos everytime they get to a new current build

I'm talking about releasing at least one official gameplay video with a build that is close to representing the final release. There have been none so far.

# 29 Norris_Cole @ 09/21/14 12:56 PM
I bought fifa 15 and nhl 15 after trying the demo and being impressed. So yes, demos sell games and are helpful for a lot of people.

I'm really disappointed with the silence of 2k on this, at least they should say if there is going to be a demo or not, is that asking for too much?.

Same with the lack of proper gameplay. People say there is gameplay already but I wouldn't count some 1:30 minutes of shaky cam videos with people who don't have a clue about what they are doing on offense or defense as real gameplay.

That's basically like watching a 1st person shooter "gameplay" with the guy shooting at the air and trees.

# 30 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 12:56 PM
Quote:
I never disagreed or referenced that notion, every game will always get nitpicked. That shouldn't mean however, that we don't get a legit chance to either see the game in action in a proper manner or even try it before hand.

I don't agree that a demo won't help them improve their sales. Loyal fans will buy the game regardless. But there's also an audience that will grow in consideration if they get the chance to either view or try the new and improved gameplay.
A significant enough improvement to justify the man hours it takes to create the demo and the potential negative opinions that will deter people from buying the game? I dont think so.

How big is this potential audience you speak of? This game outsold Madden last year. Its the 2nd biggest sports video game in the world already. How many new customers do you think a demo would bring in?

# 31 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_Cole
I bought fifa 15 and nhl 15 after trying the demo and being impressed. So yes, demos sell games and are helpful for a lot of people.

I'm really disappointed with the silence of 2k on this, at least they should say if there is going to be a demo or not, is that asking for too much?.

Same with the lack of proper gameplay. People say there is gameplay already but I wouldn't count some 1:30 minutes of shaky cam videos with people who don't have a clue about what they are doing on offense or defense as real gameplay.

That's basically like watching a 1st person shooter "gameplay" with the guy shooting at the air and trees.
Those games (especially NHL) need demos to attract new fans (NHL) or keep competition off its back (PES). NBA 2k doesnt have either of these issues right now.

# 32 Steve_OS @ 09/21/14 12:58 PM
Just received confirmation. No NBA 2K15 demo this year.

# 33 Norris_Cole @ 09/21/14 12:59 PM
Quote:
Those games (especially NHL) need demos to attract new fans (NHL) or keep competition off its back (PES). NBA 2k doesnt have either of these issues right now.

Using that logic why did 2k keep releasing the demo for the 360 version even when live was literally dead?

Sorry but it doesn't make sense IMO

# 34 supermati @ 09/21/14 01:00 PM
Quote:
A significant enough improvement to justify the man hours it takes to create the demo and the potential negative opinions that will deter people from buying the game? I dont think so.

How big is this potential audience you speak of? This game outsold Madden last year. Its the 2nd biggest sports video game in the world already. How many new customers do you think a demo would bring in?
While we neither have access to those numbers, sampling is a tried and tested practice that has been known to work. If you have a solid product why not leverage and showcase it to everyone?

On the other hand, nitpickers will be nitpickers and I don't believe they belong to this discussion. They are amongst the most loyal and will buy the game regardless of a demo or a nitpicking flaw they find with a pre release video.

# 35 countryboy @ 09/21/14 01:00 PM
Quote:
No. I'm not talking about multiple gameplay videos everytime they get to a new current build

I'm talking about releasing at least one official gameplay video with a build that is close to representing the final release. There have been none so far.
Maybe they aren't ready to release that "official" video because they are stilling tuning/tweaking the game.

# 36 countryboy @ 09/21/14 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Just received confirmation. No NBA 2K15 demo this year.
Not surprised as more and more companies aren't putting out demos.

# 37 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_Cole
Using that logic why did 2k keep releasing the demo for the 360 version even when live was literally dead?

Sorry but it doesn't make sense IMO
Companies change their approaches all the time. Do you guys actually think they arent releasing a demo because they are hiding something or are scared to release a version of the game?

If thats true, why would you even want to buy the game? Damn near every one of you folks who is complaining about no demo either is preordering the game or will get it release week.

# 38 Mintsa @ 09/21/14 01:04 PM
Honestly. I know the gameplay will be on point. It always is. I like having a demo do I can get use to the new controls so when the retail copy is released I can hit the ground running.....

# 39 Csmooove32 @ 09/21/14 01:06 PM
Id be happy if Ronnie and LD do a livestream of a 1 on 1 game like they do every year. Just would like some HD gameplay that's all.

# 40 supermati @ 09/21/14 01:06 PM
Quote:
Companies change their approaches all the time. Do you guys actually think they arent releasing a demo because they are hiding something or are scared to release a version of the game?

If thats true, why would you even want to buy the game? Damn near every one of you folks who is complaining about no demo either is preordering the game or will get it release week.
No, I'm not scared. I'm just confused by their approach of not showing their gameplay improvements this year. There are really promising things, for example playcalling and improved spacing.

And yes, I'm buying the game regardless on the demo. I'm not complaining about the lack of a demo on a personal level.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.