Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

If you missed yesterday's MLB 15: The Show livestream, and you don't wan't to devote an hour to watching the whole thing, here are some cliff notes detailing everything that was discussed:

Universal Rewards
  • Returning users will receive a "Gold Loyalty Upgrade" pack upon starting the game for the first time, if their PSN profile played MLB 14: The Show. That pack includes one gold Diamond Dynasty card and three gold items. Most items can be used in Road to the Show, Franchise, or Diamond Dynasty.
  • All users will unlock one bonus item every day that they log into MLB 15: The Show. Players can also earn a "standard" pack every nine days that they check in. The standard pack contains six Diamond Dynasty players and two items. The days don't have to be consecutive; the requirement is just nine total days per pack.
  • Simply completing games (in any mode) also gives you a chance to earn bonus items. You can buy and sell these items in an online, user-to-user marketplace.
  • The items that provide attribute boosts will allow you to push a player's ratings beyond 99, for the first time in MLB: The Show.
  • Some items are sponsorships that you can apply to your Franchise team. You can select three sponsors total, and their logos will appear during replays and on various score bugs. Sponsors will bring in extra funds for your Franchise team, based on how well your club performs during games. These sponsorships only apply to the team, and won't override the individual equipment deals for each of your players.
  • The stubs you've earned in MLB 14: The Show will not carry over to MLB 15: The Show.
Gameplay & Graphics
  • It took only 21 seconds to load into a Franchise game after setting the team lineups.
  • New split-screen replays will appear during big moments.
  • Stadiums' flag poles will be hanging the appropriate city and state banners this year.
  • San Francisco's AT&T Park will include the new garden section in its outfield stands.
  • Sony San Diego plans to release a complete walkthrough for every updated uniform and stadium.
Player Accessories
  • Gloves now have seven customizable parts instead of three. Additionally, you can choose from seven different webbing styles.
  • Neon pink, neon yellow, and neon green are the three new equipment colors.
  • Hitters' shin guards are less bulky and more form-fitting, plus you can choose whether or not to use a foot guard.
  • Helmets without ear flaps are now available, which will make the older legends look more accurate to their time period.
  • You can now choose from thin or long eyeblack styles.
  • Necklaces are finally in the game. You can have thick or thin chains, and can also customize the chains' color. Necklaces have to stay tucked underneath your jersey, though, and will only be partially visible.
  • Wrist tape, wrist bands, and arm bands now have multiple lengths.
  • Baserunners can now wear wrist guards.
  • A low stirrups option has been added.
  • The catcher's leg guards and chest protector look more detailed and are now more form-fitting.
Diamond Dynasty
  • All the retired legends' Diamond Dynasty cards will look like their actual baseball cards used to.
  • There won't be any "throwback" versions of current MLB players (e.g. 2004 David Ortiz).
  • None of your Diamond Dynasty cards will ever expire. To compensate for the fact that you'll be able to keep everything forever, gold and diamond players will now be extremely rare. The bronze tier will include some everyday starters, and the silver tier will have some All-Stars.
  • You are now limited to only one fully customizable created player. He can play at any position (though he won't excel at all of them), and you will have to boost his attribute ratings by "feeding" him player cards. Your created player will improve based on the strengths of the players that you "feed" him. Cards that are used as "food" will permanently disappear from your collection.
  • MLB players cannot be trained via feeding. But you can at least edit their equipment, if you like.
  • Whenever you play a Diamond Dynasty game, it will randomly select a starting pitcher from your rotation. You cannot see which pitcher the game has chosen for you until the game has officially started. All of your pitchers' stamina will now be fully restored at the end of each game.
  • Extra Innings matches now reward cards instead of team budget. Budget is a concept that no longer exists in Diamond Dynasty. You odds of obtaining rare cards after a game will increase if you play on higher difficulty settings. The marketplace is now entirely based on stubs, since budget has been removed from the mode.
  • It's unlikely that you'll be able to transfer your existing team logos/jerseys from MLB 14 to MLB 15.
  • The developers were also uncertain whether or not there will be new cards introduced to the mode throughout the year. It was confirmed, however, that all the Diamond Dynasty cards' ratings will be automatically updated alongside The Show's regular roster updates.
Online Play
Sony San Diego's "most talented guys" have been working on improving the series' troublesome online play. Their goal is to achieve one-to-one parity with the input registration for online/offline gameplay. More information will come on this subject during a later stream.

Written by Jayson Young, follow him on Twitter.

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Shakedowncapo @ 02/13/15 06:27 PM
Nice list. Really hope they put the throwback current players into motion, if not this year, definitely next year!

# 2 Ghost Of The Year @ 02/13/15 06:37 PM
Glad to see MLB eased up restrictions & let old style helmets in.

# 3 baseballsim @ 02/13/15 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar24
" All of your pitchers' stamina will now be fully restored at the end of each game."
Not sure I'm liking this aspect. I'd prefer to be able manage a bullpen like a manager would.

# 4 BravesBoy @ 02/13/15 08:15 PM
"Its weird but it felt alright" Nick is hilarious, keep him on all the streams

# 5 santa7999 @ 02/13/15 09:11 PM
Just a quick thought, it would be awesome if we were able to used retired numbers for creating historic rosters. If someone creates a historic season with lets say Babe Ruth it would be nice to be able to make him number 3 on the Yankees. I get the point of having retired numbers in the game but if we want to re create the Bambino it would be nice to be able to make him #3. I think the old NHL series had this option, you could turn retired numbers on or off.. any way to implement that? probably too late now, but just thought Id throw that out there.

# 6 ajblithe20 @ 02/13/15 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemejoehome
Me too this is a BIG no no, I hate this why did they put this in??? that means we can use a closer 5 days in a row if we wanted to now, this is a BAD idea, I hope this isn't for Franchise mode too!

No this is not for franchise mode. It's only for Diamond Dynasty and possibly head to head online games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 7 sydrogerdavid @ 02/13/15 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa7999
Just a quick thought, it would be awesome if we were able to used retired numbers for creating historic rosters. If someone creates a historic season with lets say Babe Ruth it would be nice to be able to make him number 3 on the Yankees. I get the point of having retired numbers in the game but if we want to re create the Bambino it would be nice to be able to make him #3. I think the old NHL series had this option, you could turn retired numbers on or off.. any way to implement that? probably too late now, but just thought Id throw that out there.
Unless they "fixed" it, there is a workaround to have old guys wear their own numbers. I don't know it because I don't create rosters. I know Knight knows; and I'm sure lots of other guys do too.

# 8 Bobhead @ 02/13/15 10:17 PM
Is split screen replay only? I was hoping and thinking it would also be applied live, BEFORE the big moments (to build anticipation etc...)

When I first heard this feature announced, I envisioned a bases loaded 3-1 count, and a strike being thrown. Then as the catcher threw the ball back, a split screen appeared showing the pitcher concentrating on the upcoming, game-changing pitch, and the batter getting ready, etc....

It would be a more powerful tool if it were used live, imo.

# 9 HozAndMoose @ 02/13/15 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Is split screen replay only? I was hoping and thinking it would also be applied live, BEFORE the big moments (to build anticipation etc...)

When I first heard this feature announced, I envisioned a bases loaded 3-1 count, and a strike being thrown. Then as the catcher threw the ball back, a split screen appeared showing the pitcher concentrating on the upcoming, game-changing pitch, and the batter getting ready, etc....

It would be a more powerful tool if it were used live, imo.
Its gonna be a cut scene no matter what. But it could happen before a major at bat possibly. Hasnt been confirmed either way.

# 10 Bobhead @ 02/13/15 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Its gonna be a cut scene no matter what. But it could happen before a major at bat possibly. Hasnt been confirmed either way.
Right. A cut scene is quite fine by me. I only meant "live" as in "not a replay"

# 11 HozAndMoose @ 02/13/15 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Right. A cut scene is quite fine by me. I only meant "live" as in "not a replay"
The one of Lincecum wasnt a replay. Just a cut scene at the end of an inning.

# 12 ajblithe20 @ 02/13/15 11:39 PM
Quote:
He means that they showed the result of a pitch and the player reactions AFTER it happened. He wants to see a split screen cut scene LIVE. As he was explaining, showing some pre pitch emotions before a big pitch live would be pretty cool

# 13 Knight165 @ 02/13/15 11:40 PM
Right...but if I'm getting what he's saying....in a pressure situation...he'd like that scene to play before the outcome of the play....to add to the tension....like when bases are loaded...the TV broadcasts will do a zoom in on the runner at each base and then(or before)...pan to show the bases juiced.

M.K.
Knight165

# 14 HozAndMoose @ 02/13/15 11:44 PM
oh yeah i get that. I think we are getting misunderstood when he says live. To me live is when you can choose to throw a pitch and hit the ball. So thats what i was talking about. What he wants would be a cut scene before an at bat happens. Showing the pitcher and catcher standing there and then going to the live game play of choosing your pitch / hitting the ball.

Im also pretty tired so maybe i have no idea what im talking about. Regardless i think we are on the same page just wording it different.

# 15 Bobhead @ 02/14/15 12:00 AM
Quote:
A cut scene that replayed events that had already occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
He means that they showed the result of a pitch and the player reactions AFTER it happened. He wants to see a split screen cut scene LIVE. As he was explaining, showing some pre pitch emotions before a big pitch live would be pretty cool
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Right...but if I'm getting what he's saying....in a pressure situation...he'd like that scene to play before the outcome of the play....to add to the tension....like when bases are loaded...the TV broadcasts will do a zoom in on the runner at each base and then(or before)...pan to show the bases juiced.

M.K.
Knight165
Exactly. To use the split screen in real time would mean a lot for the immersion and excitement of the game.

# 16 bukktown @ 02/14/15 12:59 AM
Thanks for the summary Jason!

# 17 baseballsim @ 02/14/15 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar24
I just like it from an online perspective in regards to starters. Too many times people would run out their ace game after game. You'd hardly ever see anyone use their 2-5 starters. The random selection for starters would force people to use different guys. Maybe there wouldn't be so many 355-2 online players who only use their top guy anymore.
Yeah I'm okay with random starters but maybe about 3/5 of most bullpens may never see the mound. I'm mainly playing Diamond Dynasty online head to head.

# 18 feztonio @ 02/14/15 08:10 AM
so to sum up - there's neon pink, neon green and neon yellow, shin protectors are a bit less bulky and there's a metric **** ton of cash shop additions? thank god, I always worry when a game doesn't have enough cash shop involved

# 19 countryboy @ 02/14/15 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwo4Life75
Has there been any more mention of what the radio show is going to be all about? Sorry if that question has been asked before.
We know that it starts up at the beginning of each new day and talks about scores and the going ons in your franchise.

I'm sure once they discuss Franchise Mode they will talk about the radio show in more detail.

# 20 badmrfrosty7 @ 02/14/15 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
We know that it starts up at the beginning of each new day and talks about scores and the going ons in your franchise.

I'm sure once they discuss Franchise Mode they will talk about the radio show in more detail.
It's this, and the presentation upgrades during games (hopefully including commentary) that will be my deciding factor for Day 1 purchase.

And of course, interested in how the year-to-year save transfers actually pan out but that will take some time to verify probably. If that works fine without a patch out of the box, that seems like a pretty significant achievement by itself. You'd assume if you used Knight's rosters and transferred your franchise to this year's edition, you're basically good-to-go right? I don't know if I've ever dived into Franchise mode so early...

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.