Home
EA Sports UFC 2 News Post

For those of you lucky enough to download the EA Sports UFC 2 beta, get in a few fights and post your impressions!

FYI, for those that are asking, registration is closed for the beta.

Game: EA Sports UFC 2Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
EA Sports UFC 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 341 godylla @ 02/02/16 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
The big problem with preblocking is that if my fighter has only one submission from a given position, you can make yourself 100% safe from it, no matter how gassed you get. I will never be able to hit that submission. Ever. Even if I am Damien Maia and you are Mike Tyson.

On top of that, that submission might have the same denial direction as my only getup.

So you might be able to lock me out of both.

My forcing tight timing constraints, we can make all moves viable, and tune the viability based on stamina, ratings and whatever else we want.

If there was an animation for a pre-deny that would be a different story, but without one it makes the defender way to powerful.

And a pre-deny doesn't really make sense in the general case for BJJ moves, in terms of animations.

And would be really, really expensive to build.
But at the same time, if you are using Ronda and I know she is great at armbars, shouldn't I have the ability to expect that it is coming more than just trying to time it in a window? By preloading a block, Ronda could transition to another position that I can't stop because I preloaded wrong. From there maybe the armbar is available and I am behind the 8 ball for guessing wrong in the beginning?

As for $$$ luckily EA is one of the biggest gaming companies in the world (http://www.alux.com/richest-gaming-c...n-the-world/6/).

# 342 linny @ 02/02/16 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
No one is asking you to put in a bunch of time practicing. I think it's ridiculous that in 4 days of playing the game you would expect to be able to dominate a new grappling system.

With that said, you have the right not to like it. I'm just shocked anyone would prefer the simple and unrealistic UFC 1 system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
umm and this is realistic?

I never said the first one was perfect, I think this game is better than the first overall. the ground game is just not enjoyable.

# 343 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/02/16 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godylla
But at the same time, if you are using Ronda and I know she is great at armbars, shouldn't I have the ability to expect that it is coming more than just trying to time it in a window? By preloading a block, Ronda could transition to another position that I can't stop because I preloaded wrong. From there maybe the armbar is available and I am behind the 8 ball for guessing wrong in the beginning?

As for $$$ luckily EA is one of the biggest gaming companies in the world (http://www.alux.com/richest-gaming-c...n-the-world/6/).
But Ronda doesn't know you're doing it, so she can't take advantage of that fact at all.

And yes, even without pre-denial you can anticipate she'll arm bar you. You can be poised to deny in that direction, and if you're right you'll hit it faster than trying to cover all directions. But you still have to time it.

# 344 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/02/16 03:23 PM
Quote:
But Ronda doesn't know you're doing it, so she can't take advantage of that fact at all.

And yes, even without pre-denial you can anticipate she'll arm bar you. You can be poised to deny in that direction, and if you're right you'll hit it faster than trying to cover all directions. But you still have to time it.
Like whack a mole with only one hole to worry about.

A lot easier.

# 345 godylla @ 02/02/16 03:30 PM
Quote:
Like whack a mole with only one hole to worry about.

A lot easier.
Fair enough. But online is that window the same as offline? Even with the slightest lag, if the window is the same and I am anticipating it, I am **** out of luck.

# 346 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/02/16 03:36 PM
Quote:
Fair enough. But online is that window the same as offline? Even with the slightest lag, if the window is the same and I am anticipating it, I am **** out of luck.
It's the same, but in online we add an extra buffer to the window to account for your current (average) lag.

Should help in all cases except massive lag spikes.

# 347 aholbert32 @ 02/02/16 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan
I really enjoy the stand up portion of the game, the rest I'm not a fan of. If the knockout mode that's mentioned in the loading screens can be played online, I might end up purchasing UFC 2.
Its offline only.

# 348 aholbert32 @ 02/02/16 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny
umm and this is realistic?

I never said the first one was perfect, I think this game is better than the first overall. the ground game is just not enjoyable.
Yes it is actually. Real grappling isnt turn based. If you and I are grappling, I dont have to wait for you to try to move to side control and stop it before I can try to put you in full guard.

UFC 1 was turn based and very basic. Thats why grappling sucked in that game imo. Offline, I can easily go from full guard to full mount with ease on the highest level. I had to make house rules that limited my ability to transitions in that game so that I could continue playing it.

Whats funny is that I'm not even that good at UFC1 its that grappling is so simple and unrealistic that anyone can dominate.

UFC 2's grappling isnt turn based and you actually have to think through moves you make. You have to be patient. You cant spam transitions successfully and you have know when and how to mix in strikes and when to block.

Am I saying its perfect? Hell no. There are a few bugs that I would like fixed and I would love if they made it extremely difficult to get out of full mount with an escape.

But its much better than any other game's grappling system and if you know what you are doing its very enjoyable. I was fighting Pappy this weekend and had a ball on the ground. Why? Because he actually is trying to learn the system (he's better than me when you mix in subs w/ grappling). He didnt have the benefit of playing the game early like me. He just played and practiced and got better.

I'm seeing the same online. Thursday there was no one who could grapple. Now I'm running into plenty of people who have learned the system and love it.

# 349 aholbert32 @ 02/02/16 03:49 PM
Quote:

Doesnt mean EA would want to spend that money on their 4th biggest sports title though.

# 350 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/02/16 03:58 PM
Quote:
[/b]

Doesnt mean EA would want to spend that money on their 4th biggest sports title though.
Are we fourth biggest?

Woo hoo!

# 351 aholbert32 @ 02/02/16 04:01 PM
Quote:
Are we fourth biggest?

Woo hoo!
I'm expecting that this game will at least outsell Golf and NBA Live. LOL.

# 352 godylla @ 02/02/16 04:02 PM
Quote:
[/b]

That's true, but if it is a feature of the game that would help improve it, I'm not willing to readily accept that the budget from EA/UFC wouldn't be able to accomplish those tasks to make a better game.

# 353 fballturkey @ 02/02/16 04:06 PM
Quote:
It's the same, but in online we add an extra buffer to the window to account for your current (average) lag.

Should help in all cases except massive lag spikes.
Is that buffer there in the beta?

# 354 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/02/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
That's true, but if it is a feature of the game that would help improve it, I'm not willing to readily accept that the budget from EA/UFC wouldn't be able to accomplish those tasks to make a better game.
Every feature would help improve the game.

It all comes down to cost/benefit and fixed budgets.

# 355 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/02/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Is that buffer there in the beta?
Yes.

If you don't think it's working I'd be interested in knowing that.

It was in UFC 1 as well, but a completely different implemenation since we gutted the grappling.

# 356 aholbert32 @ 02/02/16 04:11 PM
Quote:
What reason would you have for that position? None of us other than GameplayDev have any idea what the budget is for this game or how much money EA is willing to put into it.

The only facts that we have is that the UFC series isnt even in the top 10 of EA's games when it comes to sales and that EA typically puts more resources into its bigger franchises like Madden and Fifa because those games sell more.

I'll give you another example. I work for Discovery. Its a billion dollar corporation. Now Discovery puts more money into its big networks like Discovery Channel and TLC than it does into small networks like Destination America. Most corporations arent going to pour big money into establishing a new product. The safe bet is to slowly build the smaller products and use the lionshare of your money to support and continue the success of the bigger products.

EA is likely no different than any other corporation.

# 357 Thetruth9012 @ 02/02/16 04:15 PM
I hope this time reversal are hard to pull in previous games from thq and ufc1 it was reversal spam...

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka

# 358 fballturkey @ 02/02/16 04:19 PM
I don't think the denial window is working. I can constantly transition on the ground without getting denied as long as my transition is quicker than the transition my opponent is invariably simultaneously attempting. I've tried going to half guard and then jumping on the block for the transition to full guard that 90% of the time my opponent tries, but the block just isn't taking. I've pulled it off in absolutely lag free matches a couple times and can do it against the AI reliably enough, but online I'm just not seeing transition blocks, either against me or performed by me.

Also, letting the transition from half to full guard go ahead and prefill the transition to half guard from mount is kind of necessary with how things are playing out right now, but if transition spam weren't such a thing I don't think it would be a good idea. Most of the time I get to mount the guy under me is already most of the way through (and past the blocking window I think) the transition back to half guard. I combat this by going to side control instead, but it makes mount pretty useless since I'm just getting insta-transitioned back to half guard most of the time.

Edit: Lest I sound overly critical, for a beta the game is great. There are a few balance issues in each phase of the game, which is to be expected, and once those things (or even some of those things) are fixed this game is way ahead of 1. As it stands I already can't go back.

# 359 godylla @ 02/02/16 04:42 PM
Quote:
What reason would you have for that position? None of us other than GameplayDev have any idea what the budget is for this game or how much money EA is willing to put into it.

The only facts that we have is that the UFC series isnt even in the top 10 of EA's games when it comes to sales and that EA typically puts more resources into its bigger franchises like Madden and Fifa because those games sell more.

I'll give you another example. I work for Discovery. Its a billion dollar corporation. Now Discovery puts more money into its big networks like Discovery Channel and TLC than it does into small networks like Destination America. Most corporations arent going to pour big money into establishing a new product. The safe bet is to slowly build the smaller products and use the lionshare of your money to support and continue the success of the bigger products.

EA is likely no different than any other corporation.
You're right, but EA having the money to do so and willing to do so are two completely different things. They have the money. Do they want to spend it to make a better game is the question. And if adding in pre-loading block animations makes it a better game I don't think the money should be an issue.

I get that any addition/change will take money. And I am really enjoying the beta so far and have pre-ordered. Just want to make that clear and get back on topic.

# 360 ApolloKids @ 02/02/16 04:57 PM
Quote:
I respect your opinion but I dont even know how thats possible especially given that you can see each person going different animations at the same time.

This isnt directed at you but one thing I find frustrating about some people judging the grappling system is that people arent even trying to go to practice mode or turn learn the controls before jumping in. Then they talk about how they dont understand how to do things.

Its a common complaint and its can be resolved by simply reading the controls and spending a little time in practice mode. If you dont understand how the grappling system works, GPD wrote a long blog that explains it in detail.
Your assumption that you can only dislike the grappling system if you haven't practiced it and even if you have practiced it you're wrong for disliking it is funny. The defend option gets in the way of any chance at doing damage on the ground, and the animations are so clunky. It still feels turned based because there isn't a fluidity to the movement.

The ground game will never been able to be mastered in a video game. I don't prefer UFC 1, I think they are both pretty horrible on the ground. I guess this is better because you have more freedom but it's still pretty rigid. Maybe with time it will be an interesting fake version of grappling but no matter how much someone practices this will never pass for realistic.

As I've said the striking is fun. It's a good arcade game, and I will probably pick it up to mess around with friends. I recognize making a fighting sim is clearly close to impossible so I'm not upset. I kind of wish EA would embrace the arcade more though because trying to make it seem sim just creates a level of artifice and leads to a feeling of failure.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.