Home
EA Sports UFC 2 News Post

For those of you lucky enough to download the EA Sports UFC 2 beta, get in a few fights and post your impressions!

FYI, for those that are asking, registration is closed for the beta.

Game: EA Sports UFC 2Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
EA Sports UFC 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 381 Phobia @ 02/03/16 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Here are some quick tips:

1) Slow down. This was the biggest issue I had when I first played the ground game. Im so used to it past games ground systems being a race to be the first person that transitioned so all I would think about is going to the next transition. Thats not the case here.

I wish I could record it to show you guys what I do but each time I go for a transition, I'm also trying to anticipate the what my opponent is going to do. The denial windows are somewhat small (I would like them to be a little longer) but if you anticipate what your your opponent is going to do, you can usually get a denial.

FYI, this is a beta so there are a few positions that have bugs when it comes to denials. The same goes with the issues in the clinch. The devs are working on fixing those before release.

2) Watch the hands: When in half guard, side control or full mount, there are pretty easy tells regarding which way they are going. If you watch your opponents hands/arms, you should be able to anticipate which side they are going.

Remember the direction your opponent is transitioning matters so you have to guess right to get a denial.

3) Use punches to get grapple advantage even when on bottom. That should help you transition easier from the bottom.
Denials - Ok, so I'll explain how I play since I can't show it. Coming from UFC 1 I'm extremely use to landing in top control from a take down THEN doing nothing because they will spam get outs. Then I watch the hands closely which direction they attempt to go, boom RT+RS direction to block.......sad thing it results in a pass by the Non-Dom 2 outta 3 times. I will get a denial but the next two or three attempts by the Non-Dom will pass on thru easy. This is also me not even attempting to pass but just sit and deny.

It isn't from me not understand how the denial works because I ran thru all the challenges and did practice mode for a while. The system isn't very complicated but doesn't seem to matter so much on stick skill. Even if you land a denial correctly there is still a larger chance the pass will happen no matter if you timed the denial right.

Clinch - Now moving on to clinching, I got in a hell of a workout last night with one guy. He did one single tactic and I will explain it.

He would walk me back till I was near the cage, grab in clinch, push against cage, throw knee strike, I'd hold R2 to block any strike coming from legs of opponent, I'd immediately pummel, he would push off break clinch, while I was stuck in animation to break out, he would clinch again and repeat.

If he attempted to pummel his left arm under my right arm, I'd hold R2+RS Right. He would pass to Thai clinch every time. So I said hummm maybe its R2 + RS Left......nothing, still passed to thai. So then I remember the challenge saying something about R2+RS Up so I tried that....nothing. This went on for 3 rounds so I got in one hell of a clinch workout and I wasn't stressing winning. I was just taking my time and attempting to learn how to block the passes......nothing would work so I was baffled.

Stand up -Now from a stand up standpoint the game functions very nice. The head movement is smooth, punch accuracy is beautiful with plenty of glancing blows, lunges are much smaller which is nice, and power seems to be correct. My two issues currently with the stand up is stamina reduction from missed strikes is WAY WAY to low and like Dave commented on. When you have a guy rocked two things happen which sucks, 1) they can retreat faster than you can close 2) Swarm animation never triggers correctly, I'd say somewhere around 1 out of 5 times it MIGHT trigger into the fast punches.

All in all I'm loving the beta and will spend more time with it tonight. I'm still fairly certain I will have the same issues with the ground game tonight. I'd love to run some matches with you tonight Aholbert so we could do some labbing on the ground.

Edit: One other complaint I just thought of.

Parries - Parries are still extremely easy to hit and this isn't necessary a bad thing considering how easy it is for the striker to go high or low. Since now blocking is using both R1 and R2 depending on the location of the attack to parry it isn't quite as bad as UFC 1 with being a parry fest. Yes I will parry every 3 or 4 strikes in a succession but several will land glancing or square in-between the high/low attack sequence.

My complaint stems more from the fact counter strikes off the parry do NOT do enough damage. It feels safer to just regular block then strike out of the block. 1) you don't accidently throw a strike attempting to parry which then opens you to some shots you didnt mean to take 2) There is not much of an incentive to go for the parry and after so many rounds online parrying then landing a body shot over and over, the benefit to drawback seems to lean more towards a drawback.

# 382 Pappy Knuckles @ 02/03/16 10:21 AM
Is it March 15th yet? No? ****.

I Ko'd someone with a straight for the first time last night. That was nice to see. I'm dying to get my hands on the rest of this roster right now. Guess I'll just have to get my fights in before the beta ends.

# 383 HartmanTeets6 @ 02/03/16 11:48 AM
Any idea when the game "goes away"? I know today, but I'm wondering how long I can play it tonight.

thanks!

# 384 Phobia @ 02/03/16 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartmanTeets6
Any idea when the game "goes away"? I know today, but I'm wondering how long I can play it tonight.

thanks!
This link shows Feb 4th
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...uary-28-a.html

# 385 GameplayDevUFC @ 02/03/16 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
There's two positions that I can't seem to defend no matter what.

1. When I'm in the opponents guard and they take my back.

2. Keeping myself out of being put into the crucifix

Any feedback here would be helpful. Is my timing just garbage on these particular moves?
The arm drag from guard should be really easy to defend as it has a pretty big denial window. You deny in the same direction the attackers arm is moving to. The same side as the arm he drags.

The crucifix one in the beta is deny down, but I'm going to change that to be the same as the side saddle/north south transition as people find the tells too similar to have it be a different direction.

As a general rule, go to practice mode and use the defensive HUD to learn denial directions.

# 386 TheShizNo1 @ 02/03/16 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
God, I love beating up on Stephen Thompson players. The spinning **** is out of control lol.
Don't hate, man lol. I'm all about the spinning body kicks when guys don't feel the need to low block. As soon as they forget to high block from the body kicks, knock em down with the spinning back kick.

# 387 aholbert32 @ 02/03/16 03:23 PM
Phobia,

I read your post and have a response but I'm stuck in an all day seminar. We can get some fights in tonight but I won't be home until late because I'm going to the Wizards/warriors game. Send me a friend invite if we aren't already friends.

# 388 Pappy Knuckles @ 02/03/16 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Don't hate, man lol. I'm all about the spinning body kicks when guys don't feel the need to low block. As soon as they forget to high block from the body kicks, knock em down with the spinning back kick.
I respect the spinning ****, but I'm pretty confident that you don't spaz out on it either. Guys don't even try to set anything up, they just throw them over and over. I just sit there laughing most of the time .

# 389 fballturkey @ 02/03/16 05:19 PM
Usually after a couple parries you're close enough to just throw elbows and they're too close to do any spinning.

The stamina drain on those moves should probably be higher though, especially consecutively.

# 390 TheShizNo1 @ 02/03/16 05:21 PM
I do have to remind myself to throw pinches with him outside of jabs. So much fun watching a guy not know what to do when I'm throwing leg, body, and then a head kick here and there.

So, I've whooped dudes that use Lawler while they just spammed power punches. So I see the guy I'm going against last night grab Lawler. This dude whooped. My. ***! Parried the **** outta my kicks and just smashed me. He KO'd me in the first reminiscent of Deebo tiger uppercutting Red.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

# 391 GeneralsHockey @ 02/03/16 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I do have to remind myself to throw pinches with him outside of jabs. So much fun watching a guy not know what to do when I'm throwing leg, body, and then a head kick here and there.

So, I've whooped dudes that use Lawler while they just spammed power punches. So I see the guy I'm going against last night grab Lawler. This dude whooped. My. ***! Parried the **** outta my kicks and just smashed me. He KO'd me in the first reminiscent of Deebo tiger uppercutting Red.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Love the Friday reference

# 392 Pappy Knuckles @ 02/03/16 07:11 PM
It feels way more satisfying to get a ground and pound finish in this one than it did in the first game.

# 393 Pappy Knuckles @ 02/03/16 08:08 PM
I need to make a digital scrapbook of all these UFC messages when the game drops. It will make for a good read.

Just lost to a guy via split decision. His whole gameplan was to clinch and hit me with a bunch of little baby shots whenever he took me down. He never tried to land anything significant. I almost finished him in the last round, but time expired. As expected, I got the typical "you're trash message" after the game. He's lucky that didn't go five. I needed that fight, though. I see that I'll have to work on my clinch defense. I usually try to punish it with strikes when I know it's coming, but it's a very quick move this year. It can be difficult to deny it at times.

# 394 fballturkey @ 02/03/16 08:18 PM
I feel left out. I've only gotten two messages and they were both just 'good fight.'

# 395 Pappy Knuckles @ 02/03/16 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I feel left out. I've only gotten two messages and they were both just 'good fight.'
I get those too, but it's mostly hate mail lmao.

# 396 PrynceKee @ 02/04/16 01:11 AM
I feel like it's too easy to avoid your opponent when you're in a rocked or stunned state. Whenever I get rocked it's just backpedal and block your head for a few secs and it's over. There needs to be more knockdowns so when you rock someone, as it is now I get more knockdowns so from leg kicks. I've recently learned when I rock someone that instead of trying to pressure and attack I now get the clinch then Thai plum and try to get the KO that way using knees. Also I'm dominating on the ground mostly because no one tries to learn the ground game yet, but I don't like the transition system. I hope there's a classic UFC 1 transition where you use the quarter circle minor and major transitions. Also I think the ground and pound punches need more power and impact. I've gotten a lot of GNP finishes but I feel like your character winds up for a hard punch and then when it connects it doesn't look like it has any impact even if you KO your opponent. Also has anyone figured out how to throw elbows on the ground? On the last game you held L1 on PS4 or LB on X1. Overall as a hardcore MMA fan I'm loving this game and can't wait for it to come out...

# 397 rafaelpaolo84 @ 02/04/16 02:20 AM
Gotta say, I'm quite enjoying the no time limit "fight to the finish" practice mode against the AI haha! Wish they could add that as an option in fight now matches.

# 398 HartmanTeets6 @ 02/04/16 08:20 AM
5 days later and it finally happened! I FINALLY HELD SOMEONE DOWN AND PUNISHED THEM ON THE GROUND!! Although I was landing some good body shots, I was getting thoroughly beaten in the stand up game. I got a good clinch with about 2 minutes to go in the 1st round and landed some great knees. After he broke free he begun throwing wild shots, but connecting. I timed a double leg PERFECTLY, and took him down. Realized I had the better ground game right away, and landed some decent shots. 2nd and 3rd rounds consisted of me jabbing and body kicking on the outside, and then landing a perfect takedown and dominating down there. Finished him with about 20 seconds to go in the final round. MOST SATISFYING WIN, YET!!!

# 399 Phobia @ 02/04/16 09:23 AM
I had a pretty good night last night, I went somewhere around 20-3 or 4. I was absolutely destroying people standing up.

Now the ground game is still a sheer mystery to me. Two of my losses came from when I took on purpose ground guys to test it out, Gracie & Hughes. I was getting the takedown at will with Gracie, then there is some is some positions I can defend pretty much every time. For example, when I'm DOM and in half guard, the pass they do when they go towards the leg(going back to full guard) I have trapped in an easy defend, yet the opposite direction where they use a major pass to roll to take your back is damn near impossible to defend. I got so frustrated being able to defend it I went re-read GPD article and from the write up it would seem this would be an easier defend with a longer denial window........not the case.

I then attempted two different versions of "denials", one where I hit R2+ RS direction at the same time right after they attempted to pass. the other I'd hold R2, then flick the RS after they would attempt to pass. Neither seemed more effective than the other.

I love the smoothness of the ground game, my issue stands with how easy it is for anyone to pass back and forth. It makes the ground game look as if both guys are the highest level BJJ guys out there. I pass, you pass, I pass, you pass, oh wait one defend, you pass, I pass, you sweep, oh you want to play that, I sweep........over and over. Something is not clicking in the ground game which makes a dominant GnP guy unable to maintain a position without the Un-Dom moving it back to standing. I have yet to face anyone who can keep my on my back and I have yet to keep anyone there.

This is by far my biggest complaint.

Edit: Side note, I was doing things GPD mentioned in his article to try and maintain top control. I would strike to break a transition or I'd strike to give me the "pass advantage". I could pass to full mount or side control pretty much at will with good ground guys just because their meter completes quicker. I'd even get some denials but denials were extremely far from consistent enough to maintain a position. Hell one time I had Matt Hughes on top Stephen Thompson, Thompson had a COMPLETELY empty stamina bar early in the fight, mine was maxed out full. I was thinking, here we go easy control and land some shots.........LOL yeaaa right he passed on through as if I was the one gassed.

I sure wish someone could explain the issue here because it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

# 400 kisstopher5 @ 02/04/16 10:41 AM
So, is today the final day to play? Wonder if we can still play offline in the practice mode?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.