Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

The Rory McIlroy PGA Tour May Update (1.09) is now available, just in time for Xbox One EA Access subscribers to check it out.

Below are the details on the update:
  • Various Oakmont fixes.
  • Various play now game mode fixes.
  • Added more audio lines to generic audio buckets.
  • Added more audio lines for specific licensed golfers.
  • Updated Career to have the 3 Licensed Major Tournaments rotate the course that is played in each season
    • U.S. Open will rotate between Chambers Bay and Oakmont.
    • The Open Championship will rotate between St. Andrews and Royal Troon.
    • PGA Championship will rotate between Whistling Straits and Quail Hollow.
  • Converted Oakmont to have U.S. Open structures when in Play Now.
  • Converted Royal Troon to have Open Championship structures when in Play Now.
  • Converted Quail Hollow to have PGA Championship structures when in Play Now.
In addition to these fixes and adjustments, Banff Springs is now a playable course in the game.

What do you think of the changes? Let us know in the comments!

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MrArlingtonBeach @ 05/10/16 01:29 PM
A new course is awesome, especially one as scenic as Banff Springs. Can't wait to see it with the current gen graphics.

Rotating majors is a big plus for me, but I know most folks will be underwhelmed by the career mode improvements. I'm a little (pleasantly) surprised that they are having Quail Hollow host the PGA in-game, since it's hosting it in 2017.

Of course I would have liked more equipment/apparel, but I do understand the limitations of getting that.

I think this is a decent update, and likely the final one. I am confident in saying that I will enjoy RMPGAT as it is for the next year or so.

# 2 brandon27 @ 05/10/16 01:35 PM
YESSS!!!

I've been crying for Banff Springs since release!!

I can't wait to go home and pop this in and check it out. I love that course, and suspect it looks incredibly amazing!

As for the other changes... Props to EA again. They've delivered nicely post launch as promised. Rotating the majors will be a nice addition to Career.

# 3 countryboy @ 05/10/16 01:35 PM
I actually just added this to my collection. Not sure how the game was before any of the patches, but I absolutely love this game.

# 4 Thrash13 @ 05/10/16 01:35 PM
Did we know we were getting another course after Oakmont? I either missed that announcement, or everyone else is just as surprised as I am. I saw the content update on the PS4 this morning, but I just figured it was minor fixes. A new course is fantastic, and it will make the game even better. I know a lot of people wanted the major courses to rotate too, so a lot of people (including myself) will enjoy that.

I've mostly just played this game in play now mode up to this point, and I've only played the career mode a little here and there. With the addition of yet another course, however, I think it's time for me to finally begin my journey through the schedule!

Kudos to the dev team on this little surprise, and I can't wait to play this course this evening!

# 5 MrArlingtonBeach @ 05/10/16 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
Did we know we were getting another course after Oakmont? I either missed that announcement, or everyone else is just as surprised as I am. I saw the content update on the PS4 this morning, but I just figured it was minor fixes. A new course is fantastic, and it will make the game even better. I know a lot of people wanted the major courses to rotate too, so a lot of people (including myself) will enjoy that.

I've mostly just played this game in play now mode up to this point, and I've only played the career mode a little here and there. With the addition of yet another course, however, I think it's time for me to finally begin my journey through the schedule!

Kudos to the dev team on this little surprise, and I can't wait to play this course this evening!
One of the devs made an announcement on the EA forums in the last week or two that a new course and career mode updates were coming. They couldn't give any specifics because there was supposed to be a blog released about the update.

# 6 Thrash13 @ 05/10/16 02:16 PM
Oh, okay. I don't visit the official EA Forums much. Either way, it's a nice surprise for sure!

Maybe they'll release one more to bring the total number of courses to 20. The current list is pretty darn good now, but it'd be cool if they released one more big one. Maybe Firestone (WGC Event), Bethpage Black (1st Playoff Event), or Hazeltine (Ryder Cup). I'll be happy with what we have, but something about the number 20 just makes it sound better. Haha

# 7 MrArlingtonBeach @ 05/10/16 02:21 PM
I would love to see more content added (*cough* Erin Hills in time for next year's US Open *cough*), but I feel that this might be it. Especially since it's now on EA Access.

# 8 Thrash13 @ 05/10/16 02:30 PM
I didn't think about the EA Access inclusion, so you're probably right about the content coming to an end. That being said, I visited the EA Forums just now and realized why I don't go there very often. Those people spew hateful thoughts regardless of what updates we get. We could get a 5-pack of new courses, and they'd want 6. Haha. I'm glad the OS community is a little more civilized!

# 9 Buddywalker @ 05/10/16 02:31 PM
No replay mode. What a bummer.

# 10 MrArlingtonBeach @ 05/10/16 02:37 PM
Yeah, those forums can be brutal. I do enjoy the unintentional comedy of it all!

As for the updates or future updates, I look at it this way:

I got RMPGAT for $13 during a sale at Amazon. I'm three seasons into my career mode, and I'm still enjoying it. The graphics are good and the game play is good. Customization is lacking, and the career mode is pretty bare bones. But there is now a better selection of courses and rotating majors. The game has improved with each update.

Overall, RMPGAT may be the best video game value I've ever gotten.

# 11 sroz39 @ 05/10/16 02:39 PM
Wouldn't be overly surprised if they released a course pack of 4 or 5 courses for $10-$15. Maybe it's wishful thinking more than anything but this was always supposed to be a two year plus release so now that it's on EA Access, maybe EA believes people will be OK spending some money on courses since they got the game for free.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 12 OnlookerDelay @ 05/10/16 03:03 PM
The way this update had been discussed in the last two months on the Rory McIlroy official forum by Justin Patel, I expected a quite a bit more out of it. There were strong hints that we'd at least see an alt-shot and/or best-ball online turn-based match play option(s)... nada. Career mode players were thrown crumbs that something more substantial than rotating between two courses for Majors was coming.

I got the impression that there might be some spicing up of the Live Multiplayer tournaments with this update, with at least live, hole-by-hole scoring updates... nada.

I really want to like this game. It's got great graphics and a dynamic atmosphere. The gameplay can be challenging if you go with custom settings, but even though it's challenging, I still find it a bit twitch dependent. The swing requires tempo, but it's a twitchy tempo that feels too rooted in "flickiness", for my tastes. I didn't realize just how much this was affecting my experience with RM until I got to experience the more realistically scaled and modeled thumbstick swing of Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf... I can feel the flow of that swing with a much more proportional sense of control than RM's.

My other main gripe about the game is that in all difficulty levels, they still have a reliance on what I call the "dial-a-distance" putting method. Set the aiming cursor to the desired direction and distance, and the putting stroke will pretty much scale itself to that spot so that less impetus is placed upon the golfer to modulate the putter to attain the desired putt power. Again, JNPG's putting stroke puts all the burden of modulating the putt stroke on the player, and it's a much more fulfilling and gratifying experience, IMO.

My two biggest hopes - as unrealistic as I thought they were - for this update weren't addressed. I wanted an option to turn off the dad-blasted tempo bubble that to this day continues to annoy the heck out of me and is an unwelcome intrusion into the game environment. I'm not disciplined enough to watch my golfer's swing and not see this flashing light show with the bottom of my eyes. I want to watch my golfer without any distractions, yet EA Sports thinks we've just got to have the visual aid in all difficulty settings.... I just don't freakin' get it!?

Finally, I was hoping they'd do something with the Pro view camera option to slightly zoom in on, or highlight the ball a little better so you could follow it from the Pro view option. They did a wonderful job with this in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11,12, and 13's TrueAim camera option in the previous gen, why not this next-gen version.

Banff Springs is a nice looking course and they did a good job in bringing it to life. I just wish EA Sports would realize how close they are to having a much more satisfying game experience and code in some options to allow gamers to configure the game to get more out of it.

# 13 bluengold34_OS @ 05/10/16 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
I would pay some $$$ for a pack with Pebble Beach and those courses.

But honestly, more than courses, I'm really wishing we had Country Clubs, Play the Pros online tourneys, online tourneys with Hard swing difficulty, current weather and replays more than more courses.

But in the big picture, the game looks and plays great enough that I'm enjoying playing it through a new season. I don't even regret my day one $54 (with EA Access) purchase.

It's a far better game than it gets credit for, although it does deserve a lot of the criticism it gets. The game deserves a more full featured sequel. I hope we get it.
The cost to secure these course licenses are really steep - some more than others. Unless you're selling a LOT of units, it makes it impossible to recoup the cost.

# 14 countryboy @ 05/10/16 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
The cost to secure these course licenses are really steep - some more than others. Unless you're selling a LOT of units, it makes it impossible to recoup the cost.
How many units do I have to buy to get Augusta and Pebble Beach?

# 15 bluengold34_OS @ 05/10/16 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
How many units do I have to buy to get Augusta and Pebble Beach?
Haha - go hit the lottery and come talk to me.

# 16 scagwi @ 05/10/16 04:44 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I get that. And I don't think RMPGAT sold nearly well enough for EA to count on selling enough course packs to make it feasible. And when you add in the money EA spends to design such accurate representations, it makes it hard to justify a large course library.

This is why the lack of social features like Country Clubs and the old GamerNet from TW09 hurt so much, and a more in-depth career mode hurt so much. It would have not only sold more copies, but kept gamer engaged enough to be around to buy new course packs.

EA golf does have 19 courses now, most of which I think are real ones -

That's not too bad I don't think, but certainly lots of good ones missing though.

It's tough these days it seems like

# 17 DivotMaker @ 05/10/16 04:57 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I get that. And I don't think RMPGAT sold nearly well enough for EA to count on selling enough course packs to make it feasible. And when you add in the money EA spends to design such accurate representations, it makes it hard to justify a large course library.

This is why the lack of social features like Country Clubs and the old GamerNet from TW09 hurt so much, and a more in-depth career mode hurt so much. It would have not only sold more copies, but kept gamer engaged enough to be around to buy new course packs.
690,000+ copies as of last week (in less than a year) according to VgChartz.....TW14 has sold 740,000 in almost 3 years....

# 18 scagwi @ 05/10/16 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
690,000+ copies as of last week (in less than a year) according to VgChartz.....TW14 has sold 740,000 in almost 3 years....
Wow - that's pretty impressive really i would say!!

# 19 mrsaito @ 05/10/16 05:42 PM
Question:

I have stayed away from the career mode thus far and have just been playing play now rounds. I've been playing career on TW14 but the load times are killing me; I think I'm ready to take the plunge with this game.

How is the create a golfer feature and did they tone down the over the top celebrations that created golfers indulge in?

Thanks.

# 20 Pappy Knuckles @ 05/10/16 05:44 PM
Another great looking course. I shot a 66 on my first play there. Not a lot of spots to get into trouble off the tee, really. I felt like I left a couple of strokes out there.

I tried to run online, but there's never anyone on. At least not on the Tour Pro difficulty. I'll have to get back into my career soon.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.