Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA announced today in a new post on the Madden NFL blog that they have implemented several popular community requests into franchise mode. Let's take a look at them:

• Around The League Score Ticker: Be immersed in Sunday football, with the new Around The League Score Ticker. While playing your game, you will see score updates occur from games around the league. For example, if you’re playing a 1pm Sunday game, you will see score updates and stat lines for all the other 1pm games.
  • Full Player Editing: As the commissioner in your league, you now have the ability to customize almost everything about all the players. You will be able to adjust appearance, ratings, traits, and contract information for the entire league, letting you make tweaks as you see fit to alter players.
  • Practice Squad: Each team now has a 10-man Practice Squad that they can control week-to-week. It all starts in week 4 of the preseason. Instead of cutting players, you can now easily move eligible players to the Practice Squad where they will develop as you train the various position groups during weekly training.
  • Dynamic Development Trait: Each player’s development trait is the biggest defining factor in how he develops. Players with a Superstar trait will stay in the league longer and develop into the top tier talent, while players with the Slow trait will not make it in the league long.
  • Regression Feedback: As a coach or owner, you need to have a pulse on your team’s development and you need to know exactly when your team regresses and now you will in Madden NFL 17.
  • Player Card Improvements: The Player Card has been bolstered with three key improvements. The first is a way to quickly see all the attributes for a specific player and how they rank in the league based on overall rating. The second is a view so you can see the progression history for the player. This lets you see where all the XP came from and when ratings have been impacted whether through progression or regression. Last but not least, the player card is now accessible from more areas so you will always be just a step or two from seeing the information you want.

What do you think of these add-ons? Time for rejoicing for several right?

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 181 Sgexpat @ 06/14/16 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kse79x
For someone who plays pretty much only in online leagues, I guess I dont get the big wanting of fully editable players. There is no reasonable scenario in a league id see that happen. I guess if you're playing by yourself, and want to beef up your players, have at it. Dont get the fun in that though anyways.

I was really hoping to see something on draft boards, exhibition games, and more powers for commissioners to undo roster dumps and even games that people will super cheese in. But from what it looks like, we wont be getting any of these.
For a lot of us who play CFM offline / single player, we want to stretch out our CFM for many years in the future. If the draft classes and progression system are even slightly unbalanced or messed up, this messes up stuff 5-10 years into the franchise. For example, in M17 there were basically no fast RB's ... at all... so play far in the future and the only way you'll ever have one is by converting a WR to HB , but the CPU won't have any fast ones. Many of the QB's and OT's reach 90's too easily whereas CB's did not, and were not very differentiated. The list goes on.

While I wouldn't want to do the level of brain surgery neeeded to fix every draft class for the whole league across so many problems ... the fact that editing is in there gives me the possibility of fixing small niggling problems which might crop up. I'm hoping the draft classes and progression is less bugged this time of course, but editing is hugely powerful.

# 182 Sgexpat @ 06/14/16 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurivexen
I think the ability to change weight in particular is huge. Say you have a defensive player that is considered "underweight" when drafted. You can have him train harder in the off season to add some bulk. When that happens, you can make his weight go up as well his ratings relative to strength. The same can be said for players trying to slim down. Just add more agility and speed ratings. It just adds more storylines for me.
Will weight matter now? I didn't see that anywhere.. I don't think they've re-worked all the mechanics to make that work.

# 183 Sgexpat @ 06/14/16 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm still playing Madden 16 and it's the game play that had me immersed, not CFM. .
I'm glad this is working for you but to me the issues with CFM bled into the gameplay and vice versa (progression issues, vanilla draft classes, undifferentiated ratings / insufficiently differentiated ratings, poor CPU AI in-game and CFM, poor AI game planning / play calling, bizarre coverage issues whereby certain types of routes are unrealistically closed always INT risk and other routes are 90% of the time wide open etc)

I do think they are fixing some of this.

# 184 roadman @ 06/14/16 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgexpat
I'm glad this is working for you but to me the issues with CFM bled into the gameplay and vice versa (progression issues, vanilla draft classes, undifferentiated ratings / insufficiently differentiated ratings, poor CPU AI in-game and CFM, poor AI game planning / play calling, bizarre coverage issues whereby certain types of routes are unrealistically closed always INT risk and other routes are 90% of the time wide open etc)

I do think they are fixing some of this.
It helped a great deal for me using sliders from OS, the game play issues were minimized using those sliders.

And for many OS vets, including myself, Madden 16 gameplay was the best in forever in the Madden series.

# 185 Mattanite @ 06/14/16 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurivexen
I think the ability to change weight in particular is huge. Say you have a defensive player that is considered "underweight" when drafted. You can have him train harder in the off season to add some bulk. When that happens, you can make his weight go up as well his ratings relative to strength. The same can be said for players trying to slim down. Just add more agility and speed ratings. It just adds more storylines for me.
I like this idea, if player edit is controlled by the Commissioner, maybe in the offseason you could submit a training/scheme request.

Say you were moving to a power run so you wanted your OL to train and gain 20lbs (Big Mauler archetype), they could gain +1 strength, +1impact block but at a cost of -1 acceleration and -1 agility per 10lbs.

Or again, if you were switching between 3-4/4-3, you might want DEs to lose some LBs to gain pursuit and acceleration to play OLB or a failing CB to shift to FS to gain hit power but lose say man coverage. It would need to be minimal/not roster breaking and each player would be limited to the number of changes made (like only when they hire a new coach or change schemes).

Putting it in the hands of the Commissioners would mean there wouldn't be rampant changes but it would increase their workload considerably.

This idea is also great as the CPU SUUUUUUCCKS at drafting for scheme, so shimmying their new Speed 4-3 DE to OLB in a 3-4 scheme is easier. I have seen so many 1st rounders get cut because the CPU drafts them for their high OVR but the scheme OVR shoots them down to 2nd and 3rd string as their size and physical attributes just don't fit.

# 186 howboutdat @ 06/14/16 10:55 AM
I want to talk about this Dynamic Development Trait for a minute. Before i start, sorry if this does not matter to you because you play offline CFM.Or you just dont care because your league is only a hand full of people. Im not trying to bash, just want to point out something that im not a fan of, and last i checked this is a place to post your thoughts on things, so sorry if I rub someone the wrong way. Or you dont like my "negativity" which is really just honest feelings on things, I have no reason to talk that much on what is good about the game( like gameplay improvements),glad they are there, but when i see things that can cause problems, i thought they wanted us to point it out?

Dynamic Development Trait: It has been said that players can go up and down in dev trait based on some different things. If they hit seasonal awards they likely go up in dev trait. Ok i can somewhat deal with that, eventhough in real life, most guys who come into the league and are slow developing players , very rarely if ever , turn into someone who develops like a superstar,ever.

The other part of it is that they can go up in dev trait by just meeting a weekly award. That , as a commish of an online league of 31 other players, does not sit well with me. I asked him :

@EA_White every week? so could a HB with slow dev be star dev if he won 4 player of the week awards?

His response was :

@PHTYT not likely but possible. Yearly rewards have a much higher chance than weekly.

So it IS possible for a slow dev player to become star dev in just 1 season , based on that response. Yes i know he said not likely. Obviously he does not know people spend countless hours figuring out things like this how to make them happen , so it can be done easily.

Let me stop here, i already know someone is about to type a response.... "well if you have good sim owners in your league"..... just stop now. Our league has great owners. Thats not even a legit arguement. This should not even be possible , period. It has never happened in real life, nor should it in a game trying to proclaim itself as a simulation at all. Some guys in the leagues are just better skilled than others, and hit more awards more often than others.Its just a fact. They dont need on top of that to be able to make slow dev guys dev faster, or even normal , or fast guys improve. There is nothing ive seen or recall that makes this in any way , shape, or form realistic.

Then on the other side, you have players who's dev can go down. They have a bad season and drop in dev . Also for an online league of 32 not a good look. Sure as a commish, i now can edit it back up if needed.However this will involve much more work to keep track of, and stay on top of as if we dont have enough to tend to already.

I know , many who dont run online leagues, dont know what im talking about and think this is over exageratted , but its not. Ive done this for 5 years straight without stopping, so i have pleanty of experience in this field. I also have 4 other admins who help me manage everything in the league now. Approving trades, position change requests,looking over video footage of broken rules and deciding on punishments,setting up offseason schedules for entire league, making highlight videos for the league,putting people on auto , answering questions about possible issues in gameplay, looking over video to see if complaint is even correct, keeping check on players stats to make sure they arent abusing the xp system by padding stats to gain more xp ( even with good owners this has to be checked on to ensure its not happening) , dealing with two owners having issues agreeing on a time to play and having to be a mediator at times, oh yeah and i have a team of my own to manage scouting, spending xp, checking on fa's to try to sign, resigning players..... i could go on.

Its alot involved when your dealing with 32 people , across 4 time zones, with all dif attitudes and schedules, trying to match things up so it works for everyone , in a timely manner to keep league moving along at a fair pace so people are not bored.

This now adds a new thing to keep up with and try to manage manually. I was told by Shop, he does not think co-commish can edit players. So that puts all the extra work there on me. You may say , well thats not that much. Not only the dev trait , but the regressions which our league members as well as myself hate seeing done to the lower level guys who have bad seasons and their players loose key attributes for their position, there will be alot for me to try to keep up with and "undo". Sure its cool we even have an option to. Im just trying to point out how much work this can be, as some dont have a clue.

On top of the fact, its as i said earlier, its not at all even realistic. Im sure teams would have loved for Johhny football,Ryan leaf, Vince Young ,Trent Richardson and many other busts who could not develope into stars in the NFL as they should have, would have turned into stars, but the fact is , its not in them to.Its just not really realistic i dont feel. Maybe its just me , but i dont see that in the real world NFL.If so its super, super rare.By saying it can be done by getting a player of the week award, that sounds way more than super rare.

No i dont think every player of the week this will happen to, but the fact it happens to them at all, is a concern already.

Sorry if you disagree, just sharing my feelings and thoughts on it, in detail, for those who dont really understand what a real commish of 32 man league deals with that advances more than 1-2 times a week.

# 187 Tatupu_64 @ 06/14/16 11:25 AM
I disagree because I believe you're wrong and the NFL shows you to be so. You can't tell me that RGIII didn't have Superstar potential. However, he got stuck on a bad team (a bad owner in your leagues case) and he regressed.

Inversely, a guy like Richard Sherman never would have developed like he didn't if he didn't end up on Seattle, with a head coach who is a DB guru and a young DB coach who is phenomenal at his job

It is an owners fault in madden if his team doesn't have late round picks develop or if his superstar player regresses. That is how it should be

My only issue will be if guys can lose their superstar development in the first year or 2. I take guys slowly as backups sometimes and I'll be annoyed if they don't develop because of that

# 188 kse79x @ 06/14/16 11:29 AM
My issue with dev trait is more with it going down if they dont meet certain goals. In SIM leagues you're encouraged to spread ball around and not rely on one or two players all the time.

I disagree with you some what on the awards. If you have a guy getting weekly player of the week awards constantly, there are possibly a couple things at play. You are abusing said player, or possibly you are in a league where you are so much better than the rest of the league. There are 32 teams with hundreds of players. One player shouldnt be getting the weekly award over and over. If they are, Id say its a league issue (rules, talent level, etc)

# 189 kse79x @ 06/14/16 11:34 AM
I am still excited about the improved game play. I could be proven wrong about the CFM improvements though when it comes to benefits of online leagues. At this time, I stand by my belief that thus far, I dont think much has been done to benefit us Online league players. Specifically lack of draft board, ability to do more from a website (auto users, ban users, Free Agent bidding, scouting, or even customizing playbooks which is just cumbersome on console).

Lack of exhibition games is also a head-scratcher. It really can not be difficult to add exhibition games to CFM leagues. H2H already exists across multiple game modes. Adding exhibition to allow meaningless games for fun/practice with our CFM teams with other CFM league members can not be hard to add. Perhaps they can get that in there before the game is released.

# 190 OhMrHanky @ 06/14/16 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.cross.kings
I just want gameface.

Was that the thing where u put your own face in? If so, YES, I want that in as well. Lol. I used that for a madden back in the day and a tiger woods game, and it was absolutely good enough that I could tell it was me on the sidelines high fiving my players! I loved that. Yeah, it's a trivial request in the grand scheme of things, but I would love this added back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 191 OhMrHanky @ 06/14/16 11:53 AM
Quote:
It helped a great deal for me using sliders from OS, the game play issues were minimized using those sliders.

And for many OS vets, including myself, Madden 16 gameplay was the best in forever in the Madden series.

Yup. I started doing my own sliders with madden 13, and honestly, no matter how good the default play is, it can always be tweaked slightly. So, for me, I will always play sliders some. Which, can get nasty, however, and previous versions will give people slideritis, but M16 core gameplay was def solid enough, that I was able to 'stabilize' my own sliders within the first season of gameplay and haven't had to change them for the next 3-4 seasons I've played. And, while no slider setup may be perfect, I have to think some general complaints about gameplay are due to default setup, which is unfortunate, as we'd all like to see football played properly out of the box, but I have come to the conclusion that NO sports game will play correctly out of the box. Maybe, FIFA. But, NBA 2k, even. U ever play that game default?? Your center won't even attempt to dunk under the basket!!!!! Lol

# 192 Mattanite @ 06/14/16 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kse79x
My issue with dev trait is more with it going down if they dont meet certain goals. In SIM leagues you're encouraged to spread ball around and not rely on one or two players all the time.

I disagree with you some what on the awards. If you have a guy getting weekly player of the week awards constantly, there are possibly a couple things at play. You are abusing said player, or possibly you are in a league where you are so much better than the rest of the league. There are 32 teams with hundreds of players. One player shouldnt be getting the weekly award over and over. If they are, Id say its a league issue (rules, talent level, etc)
Either that or the player was very underrated in the draft process/overlooked veteran and deserves to jump up 2 dev levels and is likely on their way to a OPOY or DPOY award, at least a probowl...
Yes it could be abused by good players (the rich getting richer) but I like the dynamic dev as the game now has the ability for breakout seasons.

# 193 Tatupu_64 @ 06/14/16 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Thought you could just toss that in there and all the 'Skins nation on OS would just let it slide huh, no. RGIII was part of a team that was working through some issues and he got hurt, along with some other setbacks, now he's on a bad team, lol. j/k

Seriously though, I don't think RGIII is a god example here because he got injured too, so if that factored into dev trait that would be something different from it regressing simply due to not meeting goals.
That's fair, but I would say it does based off how they described it. If a guy is inured, he's playing less. If he's playing less, he's meeting less year long goals. If he's hitting less year long goals, he'll regress.

# 194 roadman @ 06/14/16 12:24 PM
[quote=OhMrHanky;2048240573U ever play that game default?? Your center won't even attempt to dunk under the basket!!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Heck no, not a sports game I play that I don't fiddle around with sliders to get the game I want to play the way I want it to.

# 195 OhMrHanky @ 06/14/16 12:35 PM
Quote:
Heck no, not a sports game I play that I don't fiddle around with sliders to get the game I want to play the way I want it to.

Lol. U know, for some reason, I was stubborn as hell for the longest time. I would say to myself, 'I don't want to fix the game. That's the dev's job!' But, I think I started with NBA 2k, and was like, seriously, gotta boost at least the dunk attempts, because these goofy looking 1 ft hook shots from the under the rim by 7 ft centers is KILLING ME!! DUNK IT!! DUNK IT!! WHAT R U DOING??!! And, then, finally, I said, 'madden. I AM GOING TO MAKE U PLAY REAL FOOTBALL, DAMMIT!!' And, the rest is history. I don't think I'll ever play default sports games, either. Except FIFA, as I only play that online and it actually plays as well as it can out the box.

# 196 Bull_Dozer @ 06/14/16 12:50 PM
This is the most excited I've ever been for a Madden release. The features sound great, but the one that really kicks it over the edge for me is being able to fully edit every player in my franchise at any time. I'm a control freak, and I'm also super nerdy when it comes to statistical analysis. I'll probably devise my own progression systems and spend countless hours frequently editing players.

# 197 OhMrHanky @ 06/14/16 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
All that does is support that in the case of injuries, dev traits behave in a realistic manner within the XP/goal system but it's besides the point for when injuries aren't involved. In that case, it's unrealistic for a players dev trait/potential to diminish solely due to not meeting goals. Tom Brady, Steve Young and Willie Beaman are good real world examples, lol.

Willie Beaman??!!! Lol. Yeah, he gained the superstar trait after puking on the field during the huddle! Lol. Awesome.

# 198 DeuceDouglas @ 06/14/16 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
John White tweeted this about draft classes

I'm hoping this means that they've nearly doubled in size. If so, I think that could be an underrated addition and something that could add to scouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatupu_64
That's fair, but I would say it does based off how they described it. If a guy is inured, he's playing less. If he's playing less, he's meeting less year long goals. If he's hitting less year long goals, he'll regress.
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out given the current state of goals. I think it's very possible depending on how much development is reliant on goals that there could be a lot of confusing regression and progression based on the current goals structure.

# 199 Ueauvan @ 06/14/16 04:55 PM
logic also says FA pool should be larger as well

# 200 briz1046 @ 06/14/16 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
logic also says FA pool should be larger as well

With 320 rookies and 2nd year players now signed to PSs that previously would have to be accommodated within the FA pool or be deleted this isn't necessarily the case
Would be very welcome tho 😉

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.